Your Best/Worst Fantasy Sports Trades

angryrat

JHath just posted one of his recent deals in another thread and I got curious what some of the other Fantasy Sports people here have done. What are some of your best moves that you remember or some of your worst?

I'll start with my worst... In this past baseball season, I traded Jason Giambi for Hideki Matsui, the trade was processed the day Matsui broke his #@#*! wrist. I couldn't believe when I read that on the ESPN ticker that day.

My best move I ever pulled off... I think it was in '03 or '04, I traded away everything I had (QB and WR) to get running backs. I was able to start the season with Priest Holmes and Ahman Green, and they both ran me to my only win ever in fantasy sports.

My best trade was last year in fantasy baseball. I traded Gary Sheffield and Derrek Lee for Albert Pujols. Lee and Sheffield were hurt most of the season so that turned out to be a good trade. I think my worst trade was when I traded Kobe Bryant in fantasy basketball last year. I think I got Shawn Marion and Chris Kaman for him. That deal was terrible.

I don't trade much, but I did one this year mid-season that has worked out great in my favor:

Got:

Carson Palmer

Warrick Dunn

Lost:

Santana Moss

I pulled it off after Hasselbeck went down to get a QB - Dunn was more of a security move because I have LT and Stephen Jackson, but I didn't want to give up Moss for just Palmer (who was struggling at the time).

A week later, Moss gets hurt. I haven't lost (in fact the closest game I won by 19) since the deal and have clinched a bye week in the playoffs. :D

In 2005, I tried to give Fantasy Baseball a shot. My team was pretty good, and after like 5 or 6 games, Hideki Matsui had three home runs and was raping the ball. I picked him up, and he went without a home run or anything else productive and his stats were just total crap. I never played Fantasy Baseball again.

In 2005, I tried to give Fantasy Baseball a shot. My team was pretty good, and after like 5 or 6 games, Hideki Matsui had three home runs and was raping the ball. I picked him up, and he went without a home run or anything else productive and his stats were just total crap. I never played Fantasy Baseball again.

I only play Fantasy Football. My reasoning is that I don't really care much about the NFL, so it's a fun little game. But baseball, it seems that the joy would be taken out of watching and evaluating the games if I was trying to balance a fantasy team. Not too mention that I would probably draft all Giants players - and Carl Crawford :D

My favorite fantasy sport is definitely basketball. In my opinion, the players in the NBA are the most consistent overall than football or baseball, so you don't have to make complicated choices about who's the better matchup. All you do is play your best players every day, and you know what to expect from them, unlike football or baseball where a guy could have 3 TDs one game and 0 the next 2 games, or go 3-4 one day and strikeout the next 6 plate appearances. I'm sure some people like the strategic aspect of fantasy sports, but I just want to set my lineup and not worry about making personnel choices.

That being said, I don't think I've made any bad trades over the years, but I've definitely drafted some terrible players I thought would be sleepers (see 2005, John Buck).

I ended up makin a trade that looked very lopsided at that point in time but it worked out great for me... in i believe it was week 3 or 4 I traded tiki barber, warrick dunn, david carr, and anquan boldin for ladanian tomlinson, chester taylor, joe horn, and jake plummer... then i turned around and traded willie parker for steve smith... ive been undefeated ever since

last year i took alexander, this year i took LT....

ive had great luck with fantasy football...

last year, i just knew alexander would have a great year, and tihs year, i knew johnson and alexander wouldnt be what they were last year, and in return LT is having maybe the best season ever for a rb...

Traded:

Chris Shelton

Received:

Chase Utley

------

Traded:

Chone Figgins

Received:

Carlos Beltran

Also traded Ensberg and Valverde before they had their mid-season collapse, and picked up Verlander and Papelbon the first week of the season.

i was one of the people who thought chris shelton would go at that homerun pace all year... :alright: although i did pick up ryan howard, the best deal i ever made. maybe it was just the philly fan in me, but i thought he was going to have a good year - well, more like 35 homers, instead of 58, but still.

In fantasy basketball, I picked up Kevin Martin and Deron Williams before the season started, and they're turning into absolute studs.

For another trade in baseball I traded Dan Haren for Jeremy Bonderman and Francisco Cordero because the guy had another closer waiting to get off the DL. It wasn't that big of a deal, but I did it at the right time before Haren started sucking, when Cordero started killin, and it propelled me to the title in the league.

I only play Fantasy Football. baseball, it seems that the joy would be taken out of watching and evaluating the games if I was trying to balance a fantasy team. Not too mention that I would probably draft all Giants players - and Carl Crawford :D

See, I think it does the opposite of that. I think it gives you a much better understanding of whats going on throughout the league, beyond just your favorite team. About 4 years ago, I discovered a SF Giant on waivers named Joe Nathan... I even saw him pitch against the White Sox in interleague play that year, and when he came into the game, I told my friends he was going to get me fantasy points, and they all laughed... because I had a schmo named Joe Nathan on my team.... turns out he isn't too bad after all. And I wouldn't have known he was if it weren't for fantasy sports.... til he came to the twins anywho and beat up on the Sox some more.

See, I think it does the opposite of that. I think it gives you a much better understanding of whats going on throughout the league, beyond just your favorite team. About 4 years ago, I discovered a SF Giant on waivers named Joe Nathan... I even saw him pitch against the White Sox in interleague play that year, and when he came into the game, I told my friends he was going to get me fantasy points, and they all laughed... because I had a schmo named Joe Nathan on my team.... turns out he isn't too bad after all. And I wouldn't have known he was if it weren't for fantasy sports.... til he came to the twins anywho and beat up on the Sox some more.

I can buy that reasoning and am definitely not proclaiming my situation to be the standard one. But my joy comes from watching the players on the field, which doesn't always translate well into the "fantasy" style, which is all about the stats. I am much more of a John Scheirholz (sp) than a Billy Beane in those regards (if you enjoyed "Moneyball," which I did, "Scout's Honor" is a good look at the other side of the coin).

In the NFL though, I could care less about the on-field stuff - so I'm better suited towards judging who would be a better fantasy play rather than who would I want to suit up for me. It's hard for me to distinguish between the two in baseball.

[

In the NFL though, I could care less about the on-field stuff - so I'm better suited towards judging who would be a better fantasy play rather than who would I want to suit up for me. It's hard for me to distinguish between the two in baseball.

You have a good point in there. Alot of people who play fantasy sports, can get caught up in the fantasy numbers when it comes to judging on field talent. There are tons of guys in sports who do things that don't show up in box scores, but are invaluable in the game. In F Baseball, particularily catchers who don't put up Joe Mauer numbers are lost in the mix.... but there is more than 1 good catcher in baseball.... just only 1 good fantasy catcher.

Another little side note:

The other day, I saw a story on ESPN - I believe on OTL - that talked about some teachers that are now using fantasy sports to teach math.

Basically the students select a fantasy team, then during class they use the fundamentals of math - even get as complex as using some pretty advanced algebra and maybe even calculus - to figure potential performance, etc.

I was always good at math and science (english was my kryptonite); but if I would have had trouble, or for those that do, I can see how this process could really help out - or at least make the effort more enjoyable.

The other day, I saw a story on ESPN - I believe on OTL - that talked about some teachers that are now using fantasy sports to teach math.

Basically the students select a fantasy team, then during class they use the fundamentals of math - even get as complex as using some pretty advanced algebra and maybe even calculus - to figure potential performance, etc.

I was always good at math and science (english was my kryptonite); but if I would have had trouble, or for those that do, I can see how this process could really help out - or at least make the effort more enjoyable.

Ahhhhh, that would be so fun and actually make me like math (to some extent).

My worst move was getting rid of Howard last year... I came in 14th.

Haha, that would do it.

I traded Howard for Schilling and it looked great for one week, Schilling got hurt and was really only marginally effective when he came back, Howard went on to rake the rest of the way. I fell from first to last by seasons end.

My best trade was 3 years ago when I made a 2 for 1 trade I don't remember who but I picked up a player to fill out my roster, on the FA list was albert pujlos. Went on to win the league.

That would be really cool....

• 2 weeks later...

that would have been alot of fun. Although, I could also see non sports fans complaining that they aren't interested in sports, therefore not interested in their homework. But I'd rather solve problems like "If R. Howard hit 17 homers in June and 19 in July, How many did he hit?" instead of the old "Ryan has 9 apples, if you stole 4 of them, how many does Ryan have?"

Archived