Balanced Schedule Request.

pgd44

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to tell you guys, the program will not have a GUI...but it'll still work...

sorry for the guys who wanted a gui.

So far, I've made a program that'll randomly schedule games against each other, but it doesn't check if each team plays all the other teams at least once yet...

I also just realized that this program will be a lot harder than I thought it would be...

the coding's not that hard...

but the mathematical algorithms are really bothering me...like I have to think of working algorithms to apply to this maker...

But I haven't given up!

Another consideration would be to play 2 home and 2 away versus all teams in the other league. Then weight a bit heavier for your league, then a little heavier for your divison. For example: you are the Royals, american League Central.

2 home and 2 away vs each NL team, total - 64 games (16 NL teams)

3 home and 3 away games, vs each AL East and each AL west team, 5 teams in east, 4 teams in west, total 9 team x 3 home, and 3 away = 54 games. Combined with 64 in NL, total stands at 118 games. 162 game sched. minus the 118=44 games reamaining to divide between the 4 remaining teams in the AL central, for 11 games versus each. Play 2 teams 5 games at home and 4 games away, play the other 2 teams 4 games at home, and 5 games away.

Of course, since there is a weird divison between AL and NL, 14 teams as opposed to 16 teams, it will be difficult to get this kind of a sked worked out all the way around. However, could it be done, I think this would be a terriffically fun sked.

I'm going to use each of yours...

Unless you can find a way to do it for each of the 6 divisions, I'm going with Misigoy's for now...

well, if you divide it up, any team could have 5 games with each of the other 29, and that would make up 145 games, leaving 17 games.

So you could do a schedule of 3 home & 3 away games vs 17 teams and do 3 home & 2 away (or 2 home & 3 away) vs the remaining 12 other teams. At least I think.

You would just need to group the teams for their 2 3-game series.

I'll create two options that the user can select in the program...(by the way, I think I'll have it done within a week...)

For Misigoy's, each team will play 17 other teams 3 homes and 3 aways, and 6 teams 3 homes and 2 aways and 6 teams 3 aways and 2 homes.

For lautrec, I've worked it out...just have no time to post it here...

Can you explain that again? Do you mean, that, let's say I am the Yankees. Does that mean I won't play the other 29 teams in the league in 1 season?

Are you a baseball fan? Don't you know this already? Have the Yankees ever played all 29 teams in a season?

I'll create two options that the user can select in the program...(by the way, I think I'll have it done within a week...)

For Misigoy's, each team will play 17 other teams 3 homes and 3 aways, and 6 teams 3 homes and 2 aways and 6 teams 3 aways and 2 homes.

For lautrec, I've worked it out...just have no time to post it here...

Man, I'm thrilled. Let me know if there's anything I could do to help, although I'm clueless when it comes to programming....I'm more of a "big picture" kind of guy :)

Man, I'm thrilled. Let me know if there's anything I could do to help, although I'm clueless when it comes to programming....I'm more of a "big picture" kind of guy :)

My estimate is that I'll have this mod done within a week or two...

though that might change because I have midterms this week, and I need to study.

And because I make silly mistakes all the time in programming, it might stretch out the time again...

...but expect it done anywhere between 3 days and 2 weeks.

Are you a baseball fan? Don't you know this already? Have the Yankees ever played all 29 teams in a season?

Sorry, brain freeze...and also...I didn't start watching baseball until last year.

For yours...

An AL East team will play all NL teams 4 times each (2 home, 2 away). => 64

It will play AL Central and AL West teams 6 times each (3 home, 3 away). => 54

It will play the other four teams in the division 11 times each (6 home, 5 away against 2 teams, and 5 home, 6 away against 2 teams). => 44

An AL Central team will play all NL teams 4 times each (2 home, 2 away). => 64

It will play AL East and AL West teams 6 times each (3 home, 3 away). => 54

It will play the other four teams in the division 11 times each (6 home, 5 away against 2 teams, and 5 home, 6 away against 2 teams). => 44

An AL West team will play all NL teams 4 times each (2 home, 2 away). => 64

It will play AL East and AL Central teams 6 times each (3 home, 3 away). => 60

It will play the other four teams in the division 11 times each (6 home, 6 away against 2 teams, and 7 home, 7 away against the remaining one team). => 38

An NL East team will play all AL teams 4 times each (2 home, 2 away). => 56

It will play NL Central and NL West teams 6 times each (3 home, 3 away). => 66

It will play the other four teams in the division 10 times each (5 home, 5 away). => 40

An NL Central team will play all AL teams 4 times each (2 home, 2 away). => 56

It will play NL East and NL West teams 6 times each (3 home, 3 away). => 60

It will play two teams in the division 9 times each (5 home, 4 away), two teams in the division 9 times each (5 away, 4 home), and one team 10 times each (5 home, 5 away). => 46

An NL West team will play all AL teams 4 times each (2 home, 2 away). => 56

It will play NL East and NL Central teams 6 times each (3 home, 3 away). => 66

It will play the other four teams in the division 10 times each (5 home, 5 away). => 40

Sorry, brain freeze...and also...I didn't start watching baseball until last year.

For yours...

It will play the other four teams in the division 11 times each (6 home, 6 away against 2 teams, and 7 home, 7 away against the remaining one team). => 38

It will play two teams in the division 9 times each (5 home, 4 away), two teams in the division 9 times each (5 away, 4 home), and one team 10 times each (5 home, 5 away). => 46

Wow, this is EXACTLY what I have always wanted as far as a fantasy type sked for MVP.....Again, thanks for the effort and hard work. Whenever you get it done is fine, I'll wait. Good luck on your midterms!

For yours...

No problem. Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with. Would be a wonderful mod.

Do you guys mind if the games won't be grouped together in the first version of this generator?

...cuz I'm already done with the program that'll schedule games according misigoy's formula (each team plays 17 teams 6 times each, and 12 teams 5 times each)...I just need to write all the information to a file...

so my question is,

Would you like me to release a version of my program soon, even though it won't have all the features in it yet (for example, there won't be many 3-game or 2-game series...all the games will be separate)?

Sure release a Beta....let us take a look.

I'll be done soon...just have to write it to a schedule file and test it out for myself...maybe i'd say another hour or so...(providing that my mom doesn't interrupt me)

Wait...shoot...I screwed up somewhere...have to recalculate

This stinks...

almost all the teams' 162-game schedules are correct...but like 2 or 3 of them are always just a little bit off (like 161 or 157...)

GRR!!!!!!! :headache:

Does anyone have a good idea for a formula so that each team plays 17 teams 6 times each, and plays 12 teams 5 times each? (That's a total of 162 games)

I've tried three methods, and they haven't worked yet...

This is one of the things I have tried:

1. Creating a 29-item array, 12 of them are the number "5", and 17 of them are the number "6". I created an algorithm that should assign each pair of teams a number of games they play each other, but it ends up not working...

Does anybody have any suggestions? Help would be appreciated.

I have been thinking of another thing that I could do (if you guys don't mind a weird season)...that I could like shorten or lengthen the season so that each team plays all the other teams the same amount of times...although there will be less or more than 162 games in a season.

Would you guys care if I made a generator for a 174-game season instead (if possible?)

Does anyone have a good idea for a formula so that each team plays 17 teams 6 times each, and plays 12 teams 5 times each? (That's a total of 162 games)

1. Creating a 29-item array, 12 of them are the number "5", and 17 of them are the number "6". I created an algorithm that should assign each pair of teams a number of games they play each other, but it ends up not working...

I have been thinking of another thing that I could do (if you guys don't mind a weird season)...that I could like shorten or lengthen the season so that each team plays all the other teams the same amount of times...although there will be less or more than 162 games in a season.

Would you guys care if I made a generator for a 174-game season instead (if possible?)

Whatever you come up with would be great. Just try to get the schedule as close to 162 as you can. I appreciate all you are trying to do, because manually editing the schedule is a real pain.

174 games or 145 games seems to be the viable options. Whatever you feel is the easiest for you would be great. 174 is closer to 162 than 145 is, so maybe that is the answer.

Thanks Again,

PGD44

If I'm not mistaken, having more (or less) games in the schedule could cause the game to crash. Hory's made the schedule in the past, so he'd probably be the best one to contact about this.

You are correct.

Game will crash with more than 162.

If you have less than 162 you need to use tywiggins season projector tool.

I think you're overcomplicating this.

Create a team class

Team takes in opponents

A team object has a tag..which would be it's team number that you have created, such as NY Yankees.tag = 1

Use a for loop to put the opponents in another array.

You put if statements into the for loop such as (if i < 5 & tag = i) then fill in this way.

Print out the opponent and the team into a txt file.

That's it, in a very simplified manner.

I think you're overcomplicating this.

Create a team class

Team takes in opponents

A team object has a tag..which would be it's team number that you have created, such as NY Yankees.tag = 1

Use a for loop to put the opponents in another array.

You put if statements into the for loop such as (if i < 5 & tag = i) then fill in this way.

Print out the opponent and the team into a txt file.

That's it, in a very simplified manner.

You think I haven't tried that?? I have...and btw, I can't just do that...I have limitations...each team plays 17 other teams 6 times each and 12 other teams 5 times each...

I've tried numerous ways...I've just posted a question about this on a nerdy math forum site. Perhaps they could help.

Also, in an hour or so, I assume that I will upload something (beta) of this schedule thingy.

Would you like each team playing the 29 other teams 4 times each (2 home, 2 away), or playing the other 29 teams 5 times each (randomize if they're home or away)

You think I haven't tried that?? I have...and btw, I can't just do that...I have limitations...each team plays 17 other teams 6 times each and 12 other teams 5 times each...

But that is what the tag is for, you group the teams in a manner so that way you can arrange it for how many times each team plays another. Then with a simple if statement, you can do that.

Archived