Windows Vista and Office 2007

fush12

To use the HD-DVD feature in Vista you have to go out and buy a new DVD drive, along with the fact that if you don't have all the pieces of hardware that it "requires" (which is upwards of 12 pieces, I can't remember which off the top of my head) then it will not work period.

I wouldn't upgrade to Vista untill you have $1500 or more to buy a new computor. With Vista you need a new video card, new sound card, 2k - 3k ram, at least 360G hard drive, alot faster processor, etc, etc, etc. Ok so you'll have to spend closer to $2000 USD.

I took the opportunity recently to give Mandriva Linux a go, and so far I'm pleased. It's stable, there are no such things as viruses, spyware, or security holes.

It's taken some getting used to for sure, but it has many of the neat 3d features of Vista and allows a lot more control of your system compared to XP.

edit: You can also download (for free) versions of Ubuntu Linux and Mandriva Linux that run off a CD. This allows you to try out either OS without installing a thing on your computer! It's worth a shot if you've wanted a taste of Linux but aren't willing to commit just yet.

My dad was able to snag a copy of 07 from his work and I must say I really like it a lot. It is different but very similar, and it is much more user friendly. I am planning on getting a new computer in 3 to 4 months at which point i will be running vista premium and I will post on how it is.

Keep in note that every operating system ever released had a few bugs here or there that get fixed eventually, overall Vista will be a better OS then XP in a few years time...right now though I still like my Vista-looking XP OS lol

What are the good parts of Vista?

That jut strikes me as kind of like asking the good parts about the second world war. Vista does have some benefits, no doubt, but IMO, they're hugely out-weighed by the negatives. So much so that listing them would be pointless.

Don't bother getting Vista for computer that is 3+ years old. For people that have AMD XP or Pentium comparable, the drivers for most of those hardware will probably be Vista-incompatible (such as nForce 2).

*Note: If you build your own with great deals on the net for Vista... you would at most need $1000 (unless you're going for overkill).

Don't bother getting Vista for computer that is 3+ years old. For people that have AMD XP or Pentium comparable, the drivers for most of those hardware will probably be Vista-incompatible (such as nForce 2).

*Note: If you build your own with great deals on the net for Vista... you would at most need $1000 (unless you're going for overkill).

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...de/capable.mspx

This is telling you what the requirements/recomended hardware (atleast partially) are.

I personally will be holding off on Vista for a while. Here is an awesome version of XP Pro, called LastXP, that I found a while back that Vista will never compare to. It includes Office 2007 and about 4 gigs of other usefull software. Everyone should really check it out.

LastXP

Why am I not able to access the link? I'm very curious. I registered and it said "Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information."

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...de/capable.mspx

This is telling you what the requirements/recomended hardware (atleast partially) are.

Why am I not able to access the link? I'm very curious. I registered and it said "Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information."

You need to register on that forum to view the thread. :)

The hardware might be enough, but if the driver is not compatible with Vista, then why bother upgrading?

For what I know, Nvidia had declared that they won't support nForce2 driver for Vista. I have no idea what other vendor will do for their outdated product. Better check before purchasing.

So I finally go to the install. It didn't take too long. About the same time as an XP install. Overal I really like Vista. I have had only one prob since the install and that was w/ my sound card. I went to HP site and downloaded the most recent XP Driver and it worked on Vista. So other than that, no probs. I am using an HP Pavilion dv1000 laptop. As I said earlier, no problems yet. I havent had much time to experience the new features yet.

Archived