What Brand/Computer is best for gaming?

GEOLINK

Thank you, Batman.

:lmao:

"It's not who I am... but what I do that defines me."

Yeah, it sucks. The other day, I was confined to the hospital bed in my room, and my Dad forced me to watch that movie. I realy hate those one man action movies. IE:

Rambo parts 2&3

Commando

Mona Lisa Smile

Terminator

Custom computers,

or,

Falcon Northwest

Dell

Alienware

Actually, Dell now owns Alienware. They purchased Alienware early last year, somewhere around February/March, IIRC.

With that said, avoid Alienware. Not quite like the plague, but more like a cute girl with syphilis. Looks good, but too much exposure to it and you'll get burned. Curable, but you sure as hell won't go back.

After Dell bought Alienware, they allowed them to continue trading as their own separate entity, so you can still buy Alienware systems. In short, though, Dell has been literally pimping Alienware since the purchase. It's pretty much a case of "We'll take care of you and you can keep doing your own thing, but just make sure that money stays right".

Also, Dell has had heavy input from the Alienware team for their XPS ranges. You can tell immediate similarities in the XPS ranges and a few Alienware systems, so watch out for that.

I'm on the home-build bandwagon as well. You know what you want, you know what to get, you don't get anything you don't want and you build it. The chances of having that sort of freedom on a retail stock system is pretty small - and if you do, then you'll most likely pay through the nose for it.

Actually, Dell now owns Alienware. They purchased Alienware early last year, somewhere around February/March, IIRC.

With that said, avoid Alienware. Not quite like the plague, but more like a cute girl with syphilis. Looks good, but too much exposure to it and you'll get burned. Curable, but you sure as hell won't go back.

After Dell bought Alienware, they allowed them to continue trading as their own separate entity, so you can still buy Alienware systems. In short, though, Dell has been literally pimping Alienware since the purchase. It's pretty much a case of "We'll take care of you and you can keep doing your own thing, but just make sure that money stays right".

Also, Dell has had heavy input from the Alienware team for their XPS ranges. You can tell immediate similarities in the XPS ranges and a few Alienware systems, so watch out for that.

I'm on the home-build bandwagon as well. You know what you want, you know what to get, you don't get anything you don't want and you build it. The chances of having that sort of freedom on a retail stock system is pretty small - and if you do, then you'll most likely pay through the nose for it.

MarkB,

I think I'm inclined to agree about the home built. I've done a couple a few years ago, so I'm probably slightly out of date on building (actually, it was more like assembling) one, could you recommend some sites that you purchase hardware from. Also, does anyone know of any good online sites for assembly procedures? Thanks

I have personally never heard of newegg.com. And nobody tought me to build a custom computer. It's simply because I have been involved with computers for over 11 years, and after a while you get to know them pretty good. It's really pretty simple. Stick the part in and hook it up and install it. I can't really explain to you how to build a custom computer, but if you look online, there will be places that will show you how. Also, there are magazines you can buy that show you how to build dream machines for pretty cheap.

Try the dell outlet, you can get computers that were built to order, but then the order was cancelled, and they have to sell them for cheap. You can get very good computers for very reasonable prices.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/t...s=22&l=en&s=dfh

This is one I just did, you can put in your own specs, I just figured this computer would be a good price, and a good build. Play around with it, see what you can get. Some are refurbished, som are just never shipped.

Dell outlet is great if you look for cheap deals and don't want to go through the hassle to build the comp.

Zipzoomfly.com is another alternative to Newegg. Sometime it's cheaper there than Newegg. It's as reliable as Newegg in turn of quality/shipping/etc.

Personally, you should check the companies listed in pricewatch.com because some of those are unknown/shady business. Pricegrabber.com or resellerratings.com might be a better choice if you want to check for cheap deals for a particular item.

good computers are made by all companies if you look closely E machines makes halfway decent budjet machines alien ware probly makes the highest end commercial machines but anyhting with fast memory(preferably in large amounts aka 2gb min 1gb) , fast hard drives and at least 2.3 ghz prossessor speed will be a good gamer even if it ain that flashy building a PC can be cheaper soemtimes the OS can bust that deal if you cant find a friedn whos got a windws disc or something

MarkB,

I think I'm inclined to agree about the home built. I've done a couple a few years ago, so I'm probably slightly out of date on building (actually, it was more like assembling) one, could you recommend some sites that you purchase hardware from. Also, does anyone know of any good online sites for assembly procedures? Thanks

I generally don't have a specific leaning toward one store or another, either locally or online. As I'm in the UK, I'll either shop locally for hardware or just look around on the internet and see where I can get the best deal for the specific hardware I'm looking for. I've heard lots of good things about Newegg.com as well, but since they don't ship to the UK, I'm not had any personal experience with them. Same with pricewatch.com - heard good things, never used them. I get most of my parts either locally or via small transactions (sticks or RAM, extra PCI cards etc.) or from stock on my other, now defunct, systems.

Aside from the addition of things like SATA drives and PCI-E cards, the basic rots of building a system haven't really changed much in a while, so you'll probably be perfectly able to hook up any new system without much trouble. SATA drives are pretty self-explanatory in that it's just a case of connecting the cables and you're done, while PCI-E cards work in the same way as PCI cards when it comes to installing the hardware.

Until there are massive changes to the PC infrastructure, the basic system assembly will always be motherboard fits into case, PSU fits into case, PSU is connected to motherboard, internal devices and cables are connected to motherboard and external devices are plugged in to ports. Close cover, start system, you're up and running. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived