Baseball Cleats: low top vs. high top

ChicagoCubs720

remember that thread I made last summer regarding baseball cleats? Well guess what, my high school team created a new rule which requires you to have white cleats. So, I now have to buy another pair of cleats.

My question to you guys is: Do you prefer low-top cleats or high-top cleats? What are the advantages of each? Keep in mind I am an outfielder.

I think the decision boils down to a personal comfort issue. Some players like the extra ankle support that high-top cleats provide, some prefer the feel of low-cut cleats. It's really up to you. Try on a few pairs of each in different brands and then decide. Don't just buy what looks best. My only advice to you is to buy something comfortable. As an outfielder you're going to be standing around a lot so buy something that doesn't hurt your feet.

I've worn both low-cut, mid-cut and high-top cleats and I personally prefer low-cut cleats. I mainly prefer Reebok cleats over other brands and I prefer steel spikes as opposed to plastic.

I think the decision boils down to a personal comfort issue. Some players like the extra ankle support that high-top cleats provide, some prefer the feel of low-cut cleats. It's really up to you. Try on a few pairs of each in different brands and then decide. Don't just buy what looks best. My only advice to you is to buy something comfortable. As an outfielder you're going to be standing around a lot so buy something that doesn't hurt your feet.

I've worn both low-cut, mid-cut and high-top cleats and I personally prefer low-cut cleats. I mainly prefer Reebok cleats over other brands and I prefer steel spikes as opposed to plastic.

perfectly summarized my thoughts as well - except that i've never worn high-top...just low and mid. other than that, co-signed.

(except that I'm a Nike man) :D

Me, personally, being flat footed, and wearing orthodic insoles, I must say hi-tops. They give you support on the ankle, and since I tore the sole of my foot last year, I can use that support there. I do say though, it's what you think would be comfortable, kinda like the same way you pick out sneakers, hi-top or low-top, whatever is your preference.

• 1 month later...

from what ive been told by people far more experienced than I outfielders and slower people prefer high top to avoid injury but infielders and people who steal allot of bases usually prefer low top for better agility to adjust and get a good jump and also apparently its easy to do tricky slides with low tops but as far as i know the difference is not to much and if your not on a perfect field like in the majors high tops are probably best way to go

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can't believe they are forcing you to buy a specific colour cleat.

Our grounds have been super hard of late so I have ditched my Easton cleats for a pair Asics intermediate screw ins. They are a pleasure to wear.

They have a nice streak of blue through them so tie in with our uniform nicely.

Low cut all the way.

Archived