Who's On First?

lz477

July 26th

Game 100: Nationals (51-48) at Phillies (48-50)

Big Second Inning Lifts Nats Over Phils

game100nh7.jpg

Left: Aaron Rowand drills a first inning homerun to put Philadelphia up early. Right: Jared Fernandez allowed just two runs off three hits over eight innings, Tuesday night.

Washington came into Tuesday nights game just a half a game out of first behind the Mets, while the Phillies, despite being two games under .500 were just three games out. All of that changed as the Nationals took game one of a three game set with the Fightin Phils Tuesday night.

Aaron Rowand put Philadelphia on top in the first inning, when he homered just over the left field wall off Nationals knuckleball starter, Jared Fernandez. That lead wouldn't last long though as Washington came back and took the lead for good in the second inning as they plated three runs in the inning. The first of those runs came when Chad Mottola walked to lead-off the inning, stole second and then scored on a double by Joe Dillon. Dillon would then score two batters later after Cody Ransom walked and Augie Ojeda doubled. The Nationals then went up 3-1 when Fernandez knocked in Ransom with a sacrifice ground ball out.

Washington would hold onto their lead for the rest of the game and even added an insurance run in the sixth when Scott McClain hit a ground rule double to start the inning, followed by two walks and a hit batsmen to plate McCLain. After Moyer hit Dillon with a pitch, Philadelphia manager, Charlie Manuel brought Ramon Ramirez in to relief. Moyer finished the day with four runs allowed off four hits, with five walks and three strikeouts over five innings.

The Nationals, Fernandez looked sharp on the hill in his second big league start of the season allowing just two runs off three hits and striking out three over eight innings. The second run the Phillies picked up off Fernandez came in the eighth, when Wes Helms homered just over the wall in left, not far from where Rowand's drive landed earlier in the game.

Lee Gardner came on for relief in the ninth and picked up his 32nd save of the year, despite giving up three hits to allow the Phillies to load the bases with two outs. Rod Barajas hit a lazy fly out to end the contest however and get Gardner out of the jam and give Fernandez his first win of the season.

Game two of the series will be Wednesday night. Chris Michalak (7-3) is scheduled to make the start for Washington, while the hometown Phillies will counter with young phenom Cole Hamels (4-7).

Boxscore: WAS 4 - PHI 2

League News

Diamondbacks trade (RP) Jeff Bajenara to Rockies for (RF) Charlton Jimerson.

Rangers trade (SP) Alfredo Simon to Orioles for (RP) Robby Hammock.

Twins trade (3B) Nick Punto to Astros for (SP) Chad Rineke.

Rockies trade (2B) Kazuo Matsui to Devil Rays for (RP) Shawn Camp.

Blue Jays trade © David Wallace to Mariners for (2B) Drew Niles.

Angels trade (SP) Tommy Medoza to Pirates for (SS) Brandon Chaves.

Devil Rays trade © Josh Arhart and (2B) Brendan Harris to Blue Jays for (SP) Brandon Magee and (SS) Rey Ordonez.

Giants trade (CF) Joseph Dyche to Padres for (1B) Ryan Finan.

Reds sign (SS) Daneil Schwatzbaue for 3 years at 100K.

Blue Jays sign (SS) Daneil Schwatzbaue for 3 years at 100K.

Devil Rays sign (1B) Bryan Byrne for 2 years at 100K.

Twins (SS) Jason Bartlett out 12 days with ACL sprain.

Giants (RP) Armando Benitez out 10 days with pulled hamstring.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job on this dynasty. I really like the way you set things up in your presentation. Also, can you provide the league standings and if possible, the leaders in hitting/pitching categories?

Also, great job on keeping the Nats on top of .500 with a AAAA team. Very impressive indeed. Take care.

Great job on this dynasty. I really like the way you set things up in your presentation. Also, can you provide the league standings and if possible, the leaders in hitting/pitching categories?

Also, great job on keeping the Nats on top of .500 with a AAAA team. Very impressive indeed. Take care.

I appreciate the positive feedback. I'm having a really great time playing with these guys. Much more fun than I thought it would be. I'll post the league standings and the end of the week and the hitting and pitching categories at the end of the month. Stay tuned.

July 27th

Game 101: Nationals (52-48) at Phillies (48-51)

Nationals Steal Away Victory From Phillies

game101jd0.jpg

Left: George Lombard heads to third on a steal attempt. One of his six in the game. Right: Chad Mottola smashes a three-run homerun off the upper deck to give Washington the lead.

Washington took the second game of the series Wednesday, thanks to a solid pitching performance from starter Chris Michalak and a season high eight stolen bases. Those eight steals came courtesy of two players, six of which came from George Lombard, who took advantage of the Phillies Cole Hamels inexperience and poor control.

Lombard finished the day 0-1 with four bases on balls in addition to his 6 stolen bases. Coste came away with his first two steals of the year in a 2-4 performance at the plate. The first of Coste's hits came in the third inning when he knocked in Lombard with an RBI single to right to put Washington up 1-0. Hamels got that run back for himself in the next half-inning when he homered to left off Michalak.

The Nationals missed several opportunities to take the lead back in the fifth inning. The first was when Lombard was thrown out at the plate, attempting to score on a swinging bunt by Scott McClain that Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard fielded and threw to Rod Barajas at home. Washington would eventually load the bases, but failed to score when Coste ventured too far off the bag at third and was picked off to end the inning. This allowed Philadelphia to take the 2-1 lead in their half of the inning when Shane Victorino smacked his 10th homerun of the year.

Hamels exited with one out in the seventh inning after throwing 98 pitches. Ramon Ramirez came on to relieve and after striking out Lombard, proceeded to give up four consecutive hits, including a three run homerun off the upper deck facade by Chad Mottola. The blast was Mottola's 17th long ball of the year and gave the Nationals a 5-2 lead.

When asked after the game about his homerun in the inning, Mottola said, "I struggled to see the ball against Cole, but started to feel more comfortable in the box by my last time up and luckily, I remembered how Ramirez pitched to me last night." "When he came at me in a similar fashion I was able to take advantage of a good pitch and give us the lead."

Chad Paronto and Lee Gardner came on and pitched a scoreless eighth and ninth, preserving Michalak's eighth victory of the year and securing Gardner's major league leading, 33rd save.

The Nationals will go for the series sweep tomorrow night. Jason Simontacchi (3-6) for Washington and Brett Myers (8-6) for the Phillies are scheduled to make the start for their respective teams.

Boxscore: WAS 5 - PHI 2

League News

Twins trade (RP) Brian Forystek to Reds for (RP) Ruben Rivera.

Astros trade (LF) Cory Aldridge to Rockies for (LF) Corey Coles.

Indians trade (RP) Kyle Collins for Brewers for (RP) Dave Johnson.

Orioles trade (SS) Travis Brown to Indians for (1B) Michael Aubrey.

Royals trade (RF) Karim Garcia and © Armando Camacaro to Devil Rays for (SS) Victor Mercedes and (RP) Jack Cressend.

Red Sox trade (1B) Eric Crozier and (3B) Matt Brown to Cubs for (RF) Josh Kroeger and (RP) Rocky Cherry.

Devil Rays trade (2B) Damien Jackson to Brewers for (CF) Steve Moss.

Padres trade (RP) Nate Bump to Athletics for (RP) Marcus McBeth.

July 28th

Game 102: Nationals (53-48) at Phillies (48-52)

Coste Comes Alive As Nationals Old And New Clobber Phillies

game102do0.jpg

Left: Chris Coste blasts the first of his two homeruns on the day. Right: Rod Barajas' throw sails over Chase Utley's head and just past the glove of Jimmy Rollins on a succesful steal attempt by Chad Mottola.

With the trading deadline just three days away, the Nationals made some moves in the organization prior to Thursday's game, sending outfielder Joe Dillon and starting pitcher Craig Stammen who had been with the Potomac Cannons to the Athletics for outfielder, Hiram Bocachia and relief pitcher, Erasmo Ramirez late Wednesday night. Bocachica, who was hitting .313 with three homeruns and 14 RBI in limited action with Oakland, steps in as the Nationals leader in batting average, though he nor Matt Erickson, who was the incumbent leader with a batting average of .310, have enough at bats to qualify as a league leader.

"We're excited to have someone of Hiram's ability join our organization and though we hated to see (Joe Dillon) go, both Manny and I feel adding Hiram will help bolster our outfield defense and solidify our starting lineup," Nationals G.M. Jim Bowden said. "George (Lombard) has done a wonderful job in center for us this year, but his natural position is right, Hiram is used to playing center, so we think it'll make for a better fit."

When asked about current Nationals right fielder Doug Clark, Bowden said, "Obviously, Doug has been a crucial part of this team getting to where we are now and he isn't going anywhere, he'll just be taking on a different role that I'm sure he will embrace."

The Nationals also sent another Potomac pitcher, starting pitcher David Maust along with infielder, Juan Melo and first baseman, Alan Zinter to the Red Sox for infielder, Trent Durrington and first baseman Roberto Petagine. Bowden said he expects Petagine to take over the majority of the playing time at first base, with Andy Tracy becoming more of a left handed bat to come off the bench, saying, "Andy has provided some major pop for the middle of our lineup, but talking with Manny, we felt we needed more consistency rather than more pop from that spot in the order and thought Andy would be more valuable coming off the bench."

Both Bocachica and Petagine were in the lineup for Thursday afternoons game, with Washington's new center fielder hitting second in the lineup, going 1-5 with a run scored to help their new team plaster the Philadelphia Phillies 14-2.

The teams new first baseman, Petagine was 2-5 with two solo homeruns at the plate, one of three Nationals to go deep twice in the game. Chris Coste, embraced his new role as the teams cleanup hitter, going 3-4 with a walk at the plate, including a double and two homeruns and five RBI. Catcher, Danny Ardoin was the other National with two homeruns in the game, going 2-5 with three runs and three RBI in the game. Both Chad Mottola and Augie Ojeda also had three hits and each scored a run, with Ojeda also knocking in three runs. Washington leadoff hitter, George Lombard was 1-3 at the plate, but drew three of the teams four walks.

Every Nationals starter had at least one hit and scored a run, except for starting pitcher, Jason Simontacchi, who made up for not scoring a run, when he singled down the first base line in the seventh inning to score Mottola and put the Nationals up 11-0.

Rod Barajas got Philadelphia on the board for the first time in the Phillies half of the seventh when he homered to left off Simontacchi, who exited after the inning to finish the day with one run allowed off seven hits in seven innings, with three strikeouts as he picked up his fourth win of the year. His first since being activated from the disabled list on June 16th.

Philadelphia added their second and final run in the ninth when Wes Helms knocked in Chase Utley on an RBI single just by Augie Ojeda at shortstop. Nationals reliever John Bale would get the next two outs to end the game and give Washington a whooping 14-2 victory.

"Obviously, we hit the ball hard and far today and the lineup that we hope will become standard with our new acquisitions was successful.," Washington manager Manny Acta said about his teams dominate performance. "Of course, we're not going to win every day like we did today, but hopefully, we'll continue to play as well, if not better."

The Nationals will take their rejuvenated lineup further north to take on the Mets who are currently just a half game back of Washington for the lead in the National League eastern division.

Boxscore: WAS 14 - PHI 2

League News

Rockies trade (RP) Agustin Montero to Rangers for © Kevin Richardson.

Brewers sign (RP) Mike Meyers for 3 years at 400K.

Cardinals sign (1B) Chris Nowak for 3 years at 100K.

White Sox sign (LF) Will Venable for 2 years at 100K.

July 29th

Game 103: Nationals (54-48) at Mets (54-49)

Randolph Rockin' In Win Over Mets

game103hb0.jpg

Left: Chad Mottola blasts his 18th homerun of the year in the fourth inning. Right: Mets manager, Willie Randolph is tossed after arguing a close play at first in the Nationals half of the seventh.

Stephen Randolph, who had not won a game since June 17th, insured he would pick up his sixth victory of the year by allowing just two runs off five hits over seven innings and going 2-3 at the plate, with two homeruns.

Randolph's first blast came in the third, a solo shot to put the Nationals up 1-0. The blast was the first of Randolph's career. An RBI double by Roberto Petagine scored Hiram Bocachica in the fourth inning, followed by a two-run homerun by Chad Mottola gave Washington the 4-0 lead.

In the fifth inning, Randolph hit his second homerun of the game, again coming off Mets starter Mike Pelfrey who would finish the day with six runs allowed off 11 hits, while striking out six over 6 2/3 innings. Pelfrey was also charged with his seventh loss of the year and remains win-less for the season.

New York tried to get back in the contest in their half of the fifth, when Carlos Beltran led off with a triple, then scored when Moises Alou homered in the next at bat.

Down 5-2, Mets manager, Willie Randolph was ejected in the seventh inning after arguing a close play at first on a bunt single by George Lombard.

Washington's sixth and final run came in the seventh when Bocachica doubled to score Augie Ojeda. Bocachica then prevented the Mets from scoring anymore when he threw out Paul LoDuca out at home, trying to score on a base hit my David Wright to end the inning.

Bryan Corey and John Bale each pitched a scoreless eighth and ninth to secure Randolph's sixth victory.

After the game, Randolph spoke about his strong start and powerful plate appearances, "The first anything is always special, but hitting two homeruns in one game was pretty cool." "I just felt good in the box and on the mound tonight," Randloph said. "All my pitches were working from the get go and I got a couple of good swings with the bat and we came out on top, that's all that matters to me."

Game two will be Saturday night when Travis Smith (12-4) will toe the rubber for the Nationals against John Maine (8-7) of the Mets.

Boxscore: WAS 6 - NYM 2

League News

Red Sox trade (RP) Nick Regilio and © Dusty Brown to Braves for © Ryan Hanigan and (SP) Erick Cordier.

Twins trade © Jason Phillips to Cubs for (CF) Chris Amado.

Mariners trade (RP) Sean Green to Cubs for (3B) Casey McGehee.

Brewers trade © J.D. Closser to Royals for (CF) Mich Maier.

White Sox trade © Wiki Gonzalez, (LF) Pablo Ozuna and (2B) Junior Spivey to Angels for (3B) Maicer Izturis, (SP) Kasey Olenberger and (1B) Travis Lee.

Devil Rays sign (RP) Chris Piersoll for 3 years at 400K.

Yankees (OF) Ryan Freel out 15 days with sprained ankle.

Mariners (SP) Jarrod Washburn out 10 days with strained lower back.

July 30th

Game 104: Nationals (55-48) at Mets (54-50)

Late Rally Leads Nationals Over Mets

game104by4.jpg

Left: Danny Ardoin slides in to home just ahead of the throw to give Washington a 2-1 lead in the second inning. Right: David Wright ties the game at 2-All with his 19th homerun of the year.

An RBI double by George Lombard off New York closer, Billy Wagner with two outs in the top of the ninth, put Washington up 3-2, a lead Lee Gardner would hold to pick up his 34th save and insure Travis Smith's 13th victory of the season Saturday night.

Smith finished the day with eight innings of work, allowing two runs, one of which was earned off nine hits and striking out two.

John Maine making the start for the Mets allowed two runs off seven hits, while striking out seven over seven innings of work. Wagner, who entered with the game tied in the ninth, was charged with his first loss of the year.

New York got on the board first in the first inning, when Paul LoDuca scored from third base on a groundball hit to Washington third baseman, Chris Coste, who made the decision to throw to second base to in attempt to get the force out with already two outs in the inning. Coste, however took his time making the throw, allowing David Wright to be called safe at second, allowing LoDuca to touch home plate and score.

The Nationals got that run right back in the second inning when Chad Mottola and Danny Ardoin teamed up to hit by back to back doubles and tie the game at 1-1. Matt Erickson then knocked in Ardoin with an RBI single to give Washington the lead.

In the Mets half of the second, New York missed a scoring opportunity, when Washington's new center fielder Hiram Bocachia threw Anderson Hernadez out at the plate, trying to score on a single by Jose Reyes.

The Metropolitans did manage to get the tying run across in the third though, when Wright lined his 19th homerun of the year over the left field wall.

With the game knotted up at 2-2, all was quiet until Lombard's double to score Scott McClain off Wagner in the ninth.

With the win, Washington grabbed their second straight series victory and look for a second consecutive sweep tomorrow afternoon when Jared Fernandez (1-1) will be on the hill for the Nationals while the Mets will send Pedro Martinez (11-7) to the mound.

Boxscore: WAS 3 - NYM 2

League News

White Sox trade (RP) Dewon Day to Cubs for (RP) Justin Mallett.

Athletics trade (RP) Connor Robertson to Royals for (RP) Connor Falkenbach.

Rangers trade (3B) Travis Chapman to Pirates for (1B) Steven Pearce.

Marlins trade (RP) Travis Bowyer to Cardinals for (RP) Josh Hancock.

Orioles trade (RP) John Parrish and (2B) Thomas Perez to Yankees for (RP) Feliz Heredia and (SS) Andy Cannizaro.

Tigers trade (SP) Jordan Tata to Marlins for (SP) Jeff Fulchino.

Astros sign (SS) Travis Brown for 3 years at 100K.

Marlins sign (SS) Travis Brown for 3 years at 100K.

Carindals sign (RP) J.B. Miadich for 3 years at 400K.

Brewers sign © Kyle Blumenthal for 3 years at 100K.

Giants sign (RP) Allan Simpson for 3 years at 400K.

Iz, are you playing each game manually? Following any kind of schedule? I love what you're doing with this dynasty and it looks like you have a couple of months of baseball ahead of you.

With my dynasty coming to an end soon, I'll be able to keep up with this one a little more. I hope you keep it up (even after the real season is over), this has been a fun team to follow. :)

Iz, are you playing each game manually? Following any kind of schedule? I love what you're doing with this dynasty and it looks like you have a couple of months of baseball ahead of you.

With my dynasty coming to an end soon, I'll be able to keep up with this one a little more. I hope you keep it up (even after the real season is over), this has been a fun team to follow. :)

Yes, I am playing each game manually, but I typically only have time to play on the weekends, when I try to knock out 4-5 games in a couple of days. I was able to get nearly a months worht of games in while my account was suspended a few weeks ago, but typing up the game reports is what makes it such a slow-go. I figure at my current rate, that I should be finished with the season by Thanksgiving.

Nice job Iz! I love following this dynasty. Also, you got a nice win streak going here!

Thanks philliesphan. I've got a week of games against the NL West coming up and I've had trouble with them most of the year, so let's hope I can keep my hot streak alive.

July 31st

Game 105: Nationals (56-48) at Mets (54-51)

Martinez Masterful In Defeat of Nationals

game105zn4.jpg

Left: Pedro Martinez looked sharp for seven innings, allowing just one run to the Nationals. Right: Chad Mottola scores Washington's only run of the game in the fifth inning.

Pedro Martinez put an end to Washington's five game winning streak Sunday afternoon, by allowing just one run off one hit, while allowing two walks and striking out six over seven innings, to lead the Mets to a 3-1 win over the Nationals.

Despite making such a dominate start, Martinez did not get credited with a victory as that went to reliever Aaron Heilman, who was the pitcher of record when the Mets took the lead in the eighth inning.

Jared Fernandez, making his third start of the year also yielded just one run over seven innings allowing six hits and striking out two, but like Martinez did not factor in the decision.

"I felt good out there today, but Pedro was just unbelieveable," Fernandez remarked about Sunday's pitching matchup. "That guy has been pitching in this league for a long time and received the many accolades he has for a reason."

Washington and New York each got on the board in their halves of the fifth inning, with Chad Mottola coming across for the Nationals first run, after he walked, stole second then scored on a bloop single by Matt Erickson. The Mets tied it when Moises Alou doubled, then reached third on a sacrifice bunt by Carlos Gomez and then scored on a sac fly by Anderson Hernandez.

Carlos Delgado put New York up 2-1 in the eighth inning, when he doubled off the left field wall off of pitcher Marty McLeary, to score David Wright from first base. Carlos Beltran then added the Mets third and final run when he also doubled in the very next at bat.

Billy Wagner came on in the ninth for New York and unlike the previous night, held the lead to pick up his 22nd save of the season.

With Sunday's loss, the Nationals are now 56-49, 1 1/2 games ahead of the Braves and Mets. The Phillies now occupy third with a record 51-53, 4 1/2 back of the Nats, while the lowly Marlins are stuck in the cellar 9 1/2 back at 47-59.

Washington finished the month of July, 13-13, identical to their June record, after going 19-9 in May. The team struggled at the start of the season going 11-14 in April, and look to continue their .500 or better play into the month of August with a three game series with the Reds starting Tuesday night in Washington at RFK.

Boxscore: WAS 1 - NYM 3

League News

Rangers trade © Gerald Laird to White Sox for (SP) Gio Gonzalez.

Indians trade (LF) David Dellucci to Angels for (SP) Wade Miller.

Indians trade (RP) Bubba Buzachero to Phillies for (RP) Bubba Nelson.

Angels trade (SS) Hainley Statia to Cubs for © Jake Fox.

Athletics trade (SS) Ronnie Merrill and (RP) Troy Cate to Padres for (2B) Tony Grenadillo and (RP) Jose Diaz.

Giants trade (RP) Scott Atchison to White Sox for (SS) Kenny Perez.

Phillies trade (3B) Wes Helms, (RP) Ryan Madson and © Rod Barajas to Twins for (SP) Darrell Rasner, (SS) Alex Casilla and (SP) Carlos Silva.

Blue Jays sign (RP) Brad Voylas to 3 years at 100K.

Mets sign (3B) Travis Chapman for 3 years at 100K.

Royals sign (LF) Chad Boyd for 2 years at 200K.

monthstand4di9.jpg

American League Leaders

Hitting

Batting Average

Jason Giambi, NYY - .374

J.D. Drew, BOS - .359

Manny Ramirez, - .349

Kevin Youkilis, BOS - .347

Esteban German, KC - .342

Home Runs

Jason Giambi, NYY - 37

Wily Mo Pena, BOS - 28

Mark Teixeira, TEX - 26

Jim Thome, CHW - 26

Manny Ramirez, BOS - 24

RBI

Jason Giambi, NYY - 100

Coco Crisp, BOS - 85

Johnny Damon, NYY - 82

Reggie Sanders, KC - 81

Justin Morneau, MIN - 78

Manny Ramirez, BOS - 78

Stolen Bases

Ichiro Suzuki, SEA - 31

Chone Figgins, LAA - 26

Kenny Lofton, TEX - 24

Carl Crawford, TB - 24

Brian Roberts, BAL - 21

Runs

Derek Jeter, NYY - 81

Jason Giambi, NYY - 80

Alex Rodriguez, NYY - 79

Manny Ramirez, BOS - 78

Julio Lugo, BOS - 78

Hits

Jason Giambi, NYY - 145

David DeJesus, KC - 140

Kenny Lofton, TEX - 139

Manny Ramirez, BOS - 136

J.D. Drew, BOS - 134

Doubles

Manny Ramirez, BOS - 29

Julio Lugo, BOS - 28

David DeJesus, KC - 27

Ryan Shealy, KC - 27

Kenny Lofton, TEX - 26

Tori Hunter, MIN - 26

Frank Catalanotto, TEX - 26

Reggie Sanders, KC - 26

Triples

Esteban German, KC - 8

Coco Crisp, BOS - 8

Grady Sizemore, CLE - 6

Kenny Lofton, TEX - 6

Brad Wilkerson, TEX - 6

On Base Percentage

Jason Giambi, NYY - .476

Kevin Youkilis, BOS - .454

Frank Thomas, TOR - .454

Manny Ramirez, BOS - .451

J.D. Drew, BOS - .447

Slugging Percentage

Jason Giambi, NYY - .719

Manny Ramirez, BOS - .613

Frank Thomas, TOR - .608

J.D. Drew, BOS - .587

Willy Mo Pena, BOS - .576

Pitching

ERA

Johan Santana, MIN - 2.44

Erik Bedard, BAL - 2.74

C.C. Sabathia, CLE - 2.96

John Lackey, LAA - 3.06

Kenny Rogers, DET - 3.30

Wins

Curt Schilling, BOS - 12

Rich Harden, OAK - 11

C.C. Sabathia, CLE - 11

Johan Santana, MIN - 11

Daiske Matsusaka, BOS - 11

John Lackey, LAA - 11

Josh Beckett, BOS - 11

Chin Mien-Wang, NYY - 11

Strikeouts

Johan Santana, MIN - 126

Curt Schilling, BOS - 124

Erik Bedard, BAL - 123

Roy Halladay, TOR - 123

Tim Wakefield, BOS - 117

C.C. Sabathia, CLE - 117

Innings Pitched

C.C. Sabathia, CLE - 158

Johan Santana, MIN - 154.2

Jake Westbrook, CLE - 147

Chien-Ming Wang, NYY - 143.1

Erik Bedard, BAL - 141.1

John Lackey, LAA - 141.1

Saves

Octavio Dotel, KC - 30

Francisco Rodriguez, LAA - 26

J.J Putz, SEA - 25

Jonathan Papelbon, BOS - 25

Huston Street, OAK - 24

Batting Average Against

Johan Santana, MIN - .216

Kenny Rogers, DET - .235

Jake Westbrook, CLE - .240

C.C. Sabathia, CLE - .241

Roger Clemens, LAA - .242

National League Leaders

Hitting

Batting Average

Todd Helton, COL - .359

Garrett Atkins, COL - .356

Ryan Howard, PHI - .349

Carlos Delgado, NYM - 338

Albert Pujols, STL - .337

Home Runs

Matt Holliday, COL - 23

Alfonso Soriano, CHC - 23

Jason Bay, PIT - 23

Miquel Cabrera, FLA - 23

Albert Pujols, STL - 22

Lance Berkman, HOU - 22

Carlos Delgado , NYM - 22

Ryan Howard, PHI - 22

RBI

Matt Holliday, COL - 83

Scott Rolen, STL - 77

Albert Pujols, STL - 76

Ryan Howard, PHI - 74

Lance Berkman, HOU - 73

Barry Bonds, SF - 73

Stolen Bases

George Lombard, WAS - 44

Juan Pierre, LAD - 34

Hanley Ramirez, FLA - 29

Jimmy Rollins, PHI - 29

Chris Duffy, PIT - 27

Runs

Ryan Zimmerman, HOU - 79

Garrett Atkins, COL - 77

David Wright, NYM - 73

Albert Pujols, STL - 71

Jason Bay, PIT - 71

Hits

Garrett Atkins, COL - 154

Todd Helton, COL - 142

Ryan Zimmerman, HOU - 140

Albert Pujols, STL - 133

Ryan Howard, PHI - 129

Doubles

Adam Lind, MIL - 31

Chris Coste, WAS - 29

Garrett Atkins, COL - 28

Carlos Delgado, NYM - 27

Moises Alou, SF - 26

Triples

David Eckstein, ATL - 9

Garrett Atkins, COL - 7

Omar Vizquel, SF - 7

Adam Everett, HOU - 7

Eric Byrnes, ARI - 7

On Base Percentage

Todd Helton, COL - .462

Carlos Delgado, NYM - .458

Ryan Howard, PHI - .457

Garrett Atkins, COL - .435

Jason Bay, PIT - .431

Slugging Percentage

Carlos Delgado, NYM - .600

Garrett Atkins, COL - .593

Jason Bay, PIT - .589

Ryan Howard, PHI - .581

Todd Helton, COL - .575

Pitching

ERA

Adam Wainwright, STL - 2.20

Pedro Martinez, NYM - 2.45

Jake Peavy, SD - 2.50

Scott Olsen, FLA - 2.51

Travis Smith, WAS - 2.59

Wins

Jake Peavy, SD - 13

Roy Oswalt, HOU - 13

Jason Jennings, HOU - 13

Travis Smith, WAS - 13

Bronson Arroyo, CIN - 12

David Wells, SD - 12

Strikeouts

Pedro Martinez, NYM - 132

Jake Peavy, SD - 131

Brandon Webb, ARI - 130

Carlos Zambrano, CHI - 124

John Smoltz, ATL - 123

Innings Pitched

Roy Oswalt, HOU - 159

Ben Sheets, MIL - 154

Jason Jennings, HOU - 151.2

Tim Hudson, ATL - 151.2

Jake Peavy, SD - 151

Saves

Lee Gardner, WAS - 34

Trevor Hoffman, SD - 28

Luis Ayala, ATL - 27

Tom Gordon, PHI - 23

5 tied with 22

Batting Average Against

Hong-Chih Kuo, LAD - .219

Adam Wainwright, STL - .230

Ben Sheets, MIL - .231

Jason Jennings, HOU - .234

Jake Peavy, SD - .238

August 2nd

Game 106: Reds (55-51) at Nationals (56-49)

Arroyo, A-OK In Two Hit Shutout Of Nationals

game106na0.jpg

Left: Brandon Phillips scores on a Edwin Encarnacion single just by the diving Matt Erickson in the fourth inning. Right: Bronsons Arroyo was dominant Tuesday, en route to his 13th win of the season.

Bronson Arroyo allowed just two hits, one walk and struck out seven in his complete game shutout of the Nationals, Tuesday night. Arroyo had a no-hitter broken up by a bloop single from Roberto Petagine in the seventh inning and allowed just one more hit afterwards to pick up his 13th victory of the season and help his team inch closer to the wild card leading Astros. The Reds came into Tuesday's game just 1 1/2 games back of Houston in the wild card race, but are 8 back of the Cardinals in the National League Central.

Cincinnati did all their damage offensively in the fourth inning, scoring first on an RBI single by Edwin Encarnacion, hit just past a diving Matt Erickson to plate Brandon Phillips. Two batters later Alex Gonzalez blasted his 18th homerun of the year, a three-run shot to left center to put the Reds up 4-0. That was all the scoring they would do and all the scoring they would need to drop the Nationals.

Washington starter Chris Michalak, on the other side of Arroyo's beating, finished the day with 5 2/3 innings, allowing four runs off eight hits, while walking one and striking out two.

After the game, the Nationals leading hitter, Chris Coste commented on Arroyo's dominant performance, saying, "The guy's had a really solid season and he deserves a lot of credit for the way he handled us today." "Hopefully, we'll meet up again and see if we can reverse the roles next time," Coste remarked.

The two teams will meet again tomorrow, with Elizardo Ramirez (6-6) and Jason Simontacchi (4-6) scheduled to make the start for the Reds and Nationals respectively.

Boxscore: CIN 3 - WAS 1

League News

Blue Jays, (SP) A.J. Burnett suspended 6 games.

August 3rd

Game 107: Reds (56-51) at Nationals (56-50)

Simontacchi Seven Strong In Shutout Of Reds

game107fu6.jpg

Left: Matt Erickson just beats Brandon Phillips throw to first on a double play attempt. Right: Chad Mottola robs Juan Castro of a hit with a leaping catch off the wall in the seventh inning.

After being shutout out 4-0 in Tuesday's loss to the Reds, Washington came back to return the favor Wednesday, thanks to a strong outing by starter Jason Simontacchi. Simontacchi shutout Cincinnati for seven innings, allowing six hits and walking and striking out one, before surrendering to Chad Paronto and Lee Gardner, who both held the shutout to insure Simontacchi's fifth victory of the year and allow Gardner to pick up his 35th save.

Though he was charged with the loss, the Reds starting pitcher, Elizardo Ramirez made a strong start, pitching seven innings, allowing two runs off eight hits, while walking three and striking out five.

Washington didn't get on the board until Danny Ardoin hit his 20th homerun of the year over the left field wall in the fourth inning. In the top half of the inning, the Reds Edwin Encarnacion exited after he injured his arm sliding into second. Juan Castro came on and finished the game at third base.

The Nationals added another run in the sixth inning when Augie Ojeda singled up the middle to score Ardoin to put Washington up 2-0, all the runs they would need to hold off the Reds for a game two win.

Castro, who came on for the injured Encarnacion, hit a deep drive to left in the seventh inning, that Chad Mottola made a leaping catch against the wall to record the out.

The rubber match of the three game series is scheduled for Thursday. The Reds will send Kyle Lohse (6-8) to the mound to face the Nationals Stephen Randolph (6-4).

Boxscore: CIN 0 - WAS 2

League News

Cubs, (1B) Derek Lee out 15 days with sprained ankle.

August 4th

Game 108: Reds (56-52) at Nationals (57-50)

Randolph Leads Rout of Reds

game108nf4.jpg

Stephen Randolph was dominant on the mound, allowing just one run, but knocked in two with a homerun at the plate.

Prior to Thursday's game, the Reds announced third baseman Edwin Encarnacion would be out close to two months with a fractured arm after he was injured while sliding into second in Wednesday night's game. To replace Encarnacion's spot on the roster, Cincinnati called up rookie Joey Votto.

Votto made the start at third and hit a bouncing single into left field for his first major league hit in his first major league at bat in the third inning. Votto would later score on a sacrifice fly by Melky Cabrera after he reached third on a botched throw by catcher Danny Ardoin who attempted to get Votto advancing to second on a sac bunt by Lohse, but ended up throwing the ball into center field.

That run would be about the only highlight for the Reds offense as the Nationals starting pitcher, Stephen Randolph made a second straight strong start and even hit another homerun in a second straight game as he led Washington to a 5-1 victory over Cincinnati, Thursday night.

Randolph finished the day with one run allowed off four hits, while striking out five over eight innings. He was also 1-3 with a two run homerun at the plate.

Washington scored their first run in the third inning when George Lombard hit a two out triple and then scored on a single by Hiram Bocachica to tie the game at 1-1. The Nationals then loaded the bases with just one out in the fourth, but failed to score any runs. Similarly, in the fifth, Washington put runners on the corners with two outs and again failed to score. Finally, in the sixth inning, Randolph's two-run blast gave the Nationals the lead, then a two-run shot by Chris Coste in the seventh gave them added insurance to insure the victory.

After losing Encarnacion to injury Wednesday night, Cincinnati lost another crucial part of their lineup in the eighth inning, when Adam Dunn, like Encarnacion fractured his arm sliding into second base trying to break up a double play. Dunn will likely miss close to two months, just as their third baseman will. Not good news for a team that came into Thursday, just 2 games out of the National League Wild Card race.

The Nationals will welcome the Central Division leading St. Louis Cardinals to down tomorrow, to begin a weekend series starting Friday night.

Boxscore: CIN 1 - WAS 5

Good win lz477, ouch the reds are in trouble.

Thanks. Yea, I hate it when a team loses important parts of their team to injury. Especially when they're making a push to the playoffs. The Rockies lost Holliday and now the Reds have lost Encarnacion and Dunn.

August 5th

Game 109: Cardinals (65-42) at Nationals (58-50)

Central Leading Cardinals Clobber Nationals

game109dn5.jpg

Left: Chris Duncan watches his three-run homerun fly over the wall in the fourth inning. Right: Andy Tracy's pinch hit single put Washington on the board in the Nationals half of the fourth.

Despite getting runners on second and third with just one out in the first inning, St. Louis didn't manage a run until the fourth, when Chris Duncan sliced a three-run homer just over the left centerfield wall. Nationals centerfielder, Hiram Bocachica might have been able to make a play on the ball had his first few steps not been towards the infield when the ball was first hit.

"Yea, I miss-judged it," Bocachica remarked about Duncan's blast. "By the time I got to the wall and looked up, I realized that I would have had a good chance to rob him had my first step been back instead of forward." "He just hit it better than I thought and I'm still getting used to the dimensions of the ball park," Bocachica added.

The Cardinals went on to get runners on first and second with one out after Duncan's homerun, but Nationals starter Travis Smith shut them down after that and didn't allow any more runs to come across.

That would be the last inning of work for Smith, as Washington manager, Manny Acta made a gamble in the next half-inning and pinch hit Andy Tracy for Smith after Reyes walked both Matt Erickson and Augie Ojeda to load the bases with two outs for the ninth spot in the order. Acta's gamble paid off as Tracy singled up the middle to score two runs and shrink the Redbirds lead to 3-2. George Lombard followed Tracy's single with another walk, then Bocachica ended the inning by grounding out to first baseman, Albert Pujols on a 3-1 pitch.

In the fifth inning, St. Louis took advantage of relief pitcher Marty McLeary and scored two runs on a triple off the left field wall by Scott Rolen. Again, a slight defensive mis-cue by the Nationals cost them, as Ojeda cut off a throw from Bocachica that likely would have been in time to get Rolen sliding into third. Duncan then struck again, smashing his second homerun of the game to plate Rolen and give the Cardinals a 7-2 lead.

In the Nationals half of the fifth, McLeary got his team going again, with a lead off double, then hustled around the bases to score on a single by Chad Mottola. Later in the inning, Ojeda drew another walk, this time with the bases loaded to plate another run. Tracy then came through again to knock in a run with another single up the middle, but a perfect throw from center fielder, Jim Edmonds was right on target to allow Yadir Molina to tag Erickson out at the plate also trying to score on the play.

All was quiet until the top half of the ninth, when Nationals killer, Felipe Lopez smashed a solo homerun over the right field wall to complete the Cardinals dominance and ensure an 8-5 victory.

Despite giving up all of Washington's five runs off seven hits and nine walks over seven innings, St. Louis starter Anthony Reyes was able to pick up his 11th victory of the season. While, Smith was charged with the loss after giving up three runs off six hits over four innings of work.

After the game, Acta commented on taking his starter out early saying, "Yea, I took a gamble at taking my best pitcher out of the game early to pinch hit for him," Acta said. "We had an opportunity for a big inning and as the teams manager I felt it best to strike while the iron was hot." "Fortunately, Tracy came through in that instance, unfortunately, Marty got knocked around a bit the next half inning, but then he got us started right with the bat in the inning after that," Acta added.

Game two of the three game set is scheduled for Saturday night, where Adam Wainwright (8-6) will head to the mound for the Cardinals, while the Nationals will counter with knuckleballer, Jared Fernandez (1-1).

Boxscore: STL 8 - WAS 5

August 6th

Game 110: Cardinals (66-42) at Nationals (58-51)

Cardinals Victorious In 10 Inning Back and Forth at RFK

game110iv3.jpg

Left: Albert Pujols watches his first inning homerun travel over the left field wall. Right: Danny Ardoin is called out at the plate in the ninth after trying to score on a single by Matt Erickson.

St. Louis showed no mercy, coming out hacking against knuckleball pitcher Jared Fernandez, Saturday night. The Cardinals took an immediate 3-0 lead after the first two hitters, John Rodriguez and Felipe Lopez singled, then scored on a three-run homerun by Albert Pujols.

In their half of the inning, Washington was able to score one run when Andy Tracy knocked in George Lombard with a sacrifice fly off Redbirds starting pitcher, Adam Wainwright.

Pujols struck again in the third, as he singled, stole second then scored two batters later on a ground ball out by Scott Rolen to increase the Cardinals lead to 4-2. The Nationals came right back in their half to tie it after Chad Mottola smacked an RBI single, then scored on a two-run double by Danny Ardoin.

Mottola prevented St. Louis from taking back the lead in the fourth, when he tossed out Tyler Greene at home, trying to score on a base hit by John Rodriguez.

The Cardinals would get that run, plus some, however, when Rolen smashed a two-run homer over the center field wall in the fifth inning. Of course, Washington came back to tie it again in the sixth, when Ardoin ripped a solo shot to start the inning, then Lombard tied it later in the frame with a two-out bloop single to left center. Josh Kinney then relieved Wainwright and got out of the inning before the Nationals could do anymore damage.

Washington's starter, Fernandez left after the sixth inning and reliever Bryan Corey came on and gave up a slicing solo shot just over the left field wall to Jim Edmonds in the seventh to put the Cardinals back on top by a score of 7-6.

Corey eventually got out of the inning and despite getting in trouble again in the eighth, teamed up with Micah Bowie to prevent St. Louis from scoring again in the inning. Mottola made a nice leaping catch off the wall on a deep drive by Greene for the second out of the inning. Adam Kennedy, pinch hitting for the pitchers slot, then singled prompting Washington manager, Manny Acta to bring in Bowie to relieve Corey. Bowie gave up a single to Rodriguez and then another base hit to Felipe Lopez, but a two hop strike to the plate from right fielder, Lombard was in time to prevent Kennedy from scoring on the play and end the inning.

Down 7-6 in their half of the eighth, the Nationals got a runner on first with one out, but pinch hitter Doug Clark hit into an inning-ending double play, that prompted Acta to argue a close call at first. Washington, would get that tying run across in the next inning though, as Lombard led the inning off with his third single of the day, then scored on a two-out single by Coste later in the inning.

With the game knotted at 7 apiece going into the tenth inning, Nationals reliever John Bale got the first two outs off the inning with little to-no trouble, but a two-out double by Greene, followed by a pinch single by Craig Wilson put the Redbirds back on top 8-7. Having pinch hit for closer Jason Isringhausen, who came on in the ninth, St. Louis manager, Tony LaRussa went to Juan Cruz to close out the tenth.

Cruz struck out Mottola to start the inning, then gave up a double to Ardoin, his third hit of the day. Erickson, then smacked his third hit of the day, a single to left field that Preston Wilson had trouble handling. Washington's third base coach, Tom Tolman seeing Wilson had bobbled the ball, sent Ardoin home. Unfortunately, for the Nationals, Wilson, who has one of the strongest arms on the St. Louis roster, was able to get a throw off in time for Yadier Molina to tag out Ardoin at the plate, preventing Washington, from tying the game. Augie Ojeda then hit a deep fly ball to right field, that Rodriguez caught at the warning track for the final out of the game.

Now a game and a half out of first place in the NL East, the Nationals will look to salvage at least one game of the three game set with the Cardinals, when the two teams will play again Sunday afternoon. St. Louis will send former Cy Young award winner Chris Carpenter (12-6) to the mound to face the Nationals Chris Michalak (8-4).

Boxscore: STL 8 - WAS 7

August 7th

Game 111: Cardinals (67-42) at Nationals (58-52)

Sweet Sunday Sweep For St. Louis

game111fq4.jpg

Left: Matt Erickson rounds first after his second inning single put the Nationals on top 1-0. Right: Catcher, Danny Ardoin is caught off balance trying to block a wild pitch from Chris Michalak in the seventh inning. The Cardinals would eventually score three runs in the inning to take the lead.

Matt Erickson got Washington on the board first in the second, with a bloop single to left to score Chris Coste and give the Nationals a 1-0 lead. That was all the offense the home team would muster though, despite an early exit by Cardinals ace Chris Carpenter.

Carpenter left in the third inning, clutching his left leg with what appeared to be a hamstring injury. After the game, the Cardinals announced Carpenter would miss at least his next start and possibly more, with slight a hamstring pull.

With the Nationals up 1-0, Ryan Franklin came on to relieve and held Washington scoreless for 3 2/3 innings while allowing six hits and striking out three and was awarded his third victory of the season as he was the pitcher of record when St. Louis scored three of it's four runs in the seventh inning.

Chris Michalak was charged with the loss, despite not actually being on the mound when the Cardinals took the lead in the seventh inning. Michalak induced a fly ball out from Jim Edmonds, before giving up a single to Scott Rolen, then walked Chris Duncan. Micah Bowie then came on to relieve and gave up an RBI single to Yadier Molina to tie the game at 1-1.

St. Louis then took the lead on a two-run double by Preston Wilson two batters later. The Cardinals added a fourth run in the eighth inning, when Felipe Lopez led off with a single then reached third on a throwing error by Bryan Corey when he made a pick off move to first that would have been in time to catch Lopez off base had he not thrown over Roberto Petagine's head at first. Albert Pujols then hit a sacrifice fly to score Lopez and put St. Louis up 4-1.

Washington did manage to load the bases in their half of the eighth inning, but were stymied when Brad Thompson struck out Danny Ardoin to end the inning and prevent the Nationals from scoring any runs.

Jason Isringhausen came on and pitched a scoreless ninth to pick up his 25th save and secure the Cardinal victory.

The Nationals will head west to take on the Giants in San Francisco for four games, before starting a three game set with the Arizona Diamondbacks over the weekend. Washington will come into San Francisco's AT&T Park, with Giant's left fielder Barry Bonds just one homerun shy of tying Hank Aaron's all-time career mark of 755.

Boxscore: STL 4 - WAS 1

Archived