1. 1.

• Johnny Bench - Reds
    • Roger Bresnahan - Giants
    • Roy Campanella - Dodgers
    • Gary Carter - Mets/Expos
    • Gabby Hartnett - Cubs
    • Ernie Lombardi - Reds
    • Mike Piazza - Dodgers/Mets

Then expect to get stollen on alot and be chasing a bunch of passed balls to the backstop.

Piazza is not a tremendous defender, but no way he is that much worse than Bench. It's not like catcher defense is anywhere near as important as ss or CF, just sit there and hope your team won't acquire Tim Wakefield.

Dude put up a .362 .431 .638 line in an extreme pitcher's park, with 40 homers, as a catcher. holy crap.

I think alot of people voting don't know anything about the history of baseball and the great players of yesteryear... It's ashame... Piazza by the way couldn't be a bat boy for hartnett breshnanhan or lombardi... of course don't want to **** anyone off... just my opinion... thanks

I think alot of people voting don't know anything about the history of baseball and the great players of yesteryear... It's ashame... Piazza by the way couldn't be a bat boy for hartnett breshnanhan or lombardi... of course don't want to **** anyone off... just my opinion... thanks

Yeah, I think that's a bit of a stretch pal.

Pitching is weak today... Piazza's defense is HORRIBLE... He couldn't throw my grand daughter out at 3rd much less second... He should have moved to 1st a decade ago...

If you say pitching is weak today, I want to see some sort of evidence to back that up.

• 7 months later...

Sean,

You wrote: Piazza is not a tremendous defender, but no way he is that much worse than Bench.

YGTBSM!!!!

Bench made Piazza look like a high schooler. I've been watching baseball since 1960 and I'll tell anyone, that I can count on one hand the number of catchers who even approached Bench in terms of just defense - and NOBODY has had his arm. NOBODY.

Now hitting, I'm willing to give the edge to the Pizzaman - hell of a hitter. But Bench won WAY more games with just his Glove than Mike Piazza did with both.

Regards,

Al

The best defense is a good offense. Piazza, hands down. He's good defensively, framing and blocking the plate. The only down side is his arm, but you can't give up his power numbers just because his gun's lost a little firepower (okay, maybe more than a little). With an efficient team, stolen bases should be more than made up for by stellar pitching and defense.

Brick wall brother, I mean a fricking brick wall. If you are from Cincinnati, or have watched 70's baseball, or even understand how a player fits into the grand scheme of what use to be a team sport, I really don't need to say more. The guy fit into a team that had more egos than a 20's era yankee team, and still managed to do alot. The only reason, and I mean ONLY reason his stats aren't as good as Piazza, is because on THE BIG RED MACHINE, he didn't have to do it all. Trust me, Piazza had more of a load requirement on him, and he delivered. He's what some could argue, clutch, that doesn't make him Bench. But I do love to watch a guy burn 'em down at second, be a clutch hitter........and did I mention....a brickwall at the plate. Oh, and I was a dodger fan for years.....in Cincinnati, so give me no crap.

Archived