• Florida Marlins
    • New York Mets
    • Other

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

July 29, 2008

Bums Take First Game of Series, 4-1

Misch winless in last four starts

july29vf5.jpg

The Los Angeles Dodgers were able to extend their large division lead with a 4-1 victory over the San

Francisco Giants tonight at AT&T Park.

Giants starter Pat Misch allowed four runs on eight hits over seven and two-thirds innings as he fell to

10-6. He is winless in his last four starts.

Derek Lowe improved to 10-4 after surrendering just one unearned run on five hits in eight innings.

Andre Ethier drove in two of the four runs for Los Angeles, going two-for-four with a double and a

home run.

Scoring

T2: Abreu grounds out to third, Martin scores

T6: Ethier grounds out to second, Loney scores

B6: Frandsen grounds into a double play, Misch scores

T7: Lowe single scores LaRoche

T8: Ethier solo HR

W – Lowe (10-4) L – Misch (10-6) S - Broxton (25)

Player of the Game:

Fred Lewis 2-4, SB

July 29, 2008 Boxscore

July 30, 2008

Late-Inning Runs Even Series for Giants

Dodgers collect just four hits in contest

july30ml7.jpg

With a solid outing from Matt Cain and runs scored in each inning from the fifth through the eighth, the

San Francisco Giants evened the series with a 5-2 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Cain allowed just two hits over seven innings, surrendering both Dodger runs on a double by Matt

Kemp in the sixth inning. Cain improved to 8-9 on the season with the win.

The Giants tied the game at two with a squeeze bunt by Brandon Wood in the sixth, plating Kevin

Frandsen. An RBI single by Nate Schierholtz in the seventh drove in the game-deciding run.

Manny Delcarmen surrendered one hit and struck out one in a scoreless eighth inning, his first appear-

ance as a Giant. Eddy Martinez-Esteve made his major league debut against Juan Gutierrez when he

pinch-hit for Matt Cain in the bottom of the seventh. He struck out swinging.

Scoring

B5: Lewis single scores Cain

T6: Kemp double scores Billingsley, Ethier

B6: Wood squeeze bunt scores Frandsen

B7: Schierholtz single scores Ortmeier

B8: Molina double scores Frandsen; Ortmeier single scores Molina

W – Cain (8-9) L – Gutierrez (5-4) S - Wilson (25)

Player of the Game:

Matt Cain 7 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 3 K, 2 BB

July 30, 2008 Boxscore

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

League News - July 30, 2008

Injuries

DET 2B Placido Polanco is day-to-day with a pulled hamstring.

OAK P Dan Haren has been shut down for the remainder of the season with tendonitis in his elbow.

Signings

ATL signs IF Desi Relaford to a minor league deal.

CWS sign P Vladimir Nunez to a minor league deal.

TB signs SS Danny Klassen to a minor league deal.

The Final Hour - 2008 MLB Trade Deadline

The 2008 MLB Trade Deadline passed at 4:00 p.m. ET this afternoon. Injuries to some key pieces, such as Oakland's Joe Blanton, forced a few teams that were keying on some big names to pass the day without pulling the trigger; however, three teams bolstered their team for the playoff run:

PHI gets:

CF Mike Cameron

P Will Startup

SD gets:

3B Mike Costanzo

-------------------------------------

NYM get:

P Javier Vazquez

CWS get:

SS Jose Coronado

-------------------------------------

CLE gets:

P Andrew Barb

SEA gets:

P Paul Byrd

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

July 31, 2008

Six-Run Eighth Propels Giants to Series Victory

Former ace Schmidt takes the loss for Bums

july31px7.jpg

With a six-run fifth inning that knocked former Giants ace Jason Schmidt out of the contest, the San

Francisco Giants took the rubber match of a three-game set against the Los Angeles Dodgers, 9-8, to

end the month of July on a high note.

Los Angeles took a 3-0 lead after four innings before the Giants took over in the decisive fifth. Schmidt

left after surrendering a two-RBI single to Kevin Frandsen, picking up his fourth loss after allowing six

runs on six hits in four and two-thirds innings.

The Giants were up 8-4 after six innings before the Dodgers tried to mount a comeback, starting with

a two-run seventh that put the score at 8-6.

San Francisco got an insurance run that they would desperately need in the eighth on an RBI ground-

out from Eddy Martinez-Esteve, his first career RBI.

Brian Wilson surrendered two runs on three hits in the ninth, but walked off the field with his 26th

save of the season. Manny Delcarmen surrendered just one hit and struck out two over one and two-

thirds innings in his second appearance since his trade to San Francisco.

Scoring

T3: Loney two-run HR

T4: Abreu single scores Martin

B5: Schierholtz single scores Molina; Lincecum single scores Vizquel; Frandsen single scores

Schierholtz, Lincecum; Winn double scores Lewis, Frandsen

T6: Kemp single scores Ethier

B6: Vizquel triple scores Molina; EME grounds out to second, Vizquel scores

T7: Furcal grounds out to short, Freeman; Loney single scores Kent

B8: Schierholtz solo HR

T9: Loney double scores Furcal; Ethier single scores Loney

W – Lincecum (7-8) L – Schmidt (12-4) S - Wilson (26)

Player of the Game:

Nate Schierholtz 2-3, HR, 2 RBI, BB

July 31, 2008 Boxscore

League News - July 31, 2008

Injuries

ATL 1B Scott Thorman underwent surgery to repair a fractured right wrist and is expected to miss the remainder of the regular season.

Signings

CHC sign 3B Luis Haynes to a minor league deal.

CIN signs 1B Brent Butler to a minor league deal.

CLE signs P Dan Miceli. Terms of the deal were not announced.

TEX signs 2B Derin McMains to a minor league deal.

Keep it up sf, I haven't checked in for a while, but I still hold out hope that you can make the playoffs.

2 games isn't that much, you could make it up easily, even though you've been mired in a slump for the last month and a half.

Glad to see Cain finally got some run support, and that Frandsen is continuing to belt the ball out of the park.

Nice move moving Aurilia on, as glad as I was to see him back with SF in 07, it's time for him to move on or retire. No production = No job.

Get Misch and the pitchers on a roll and we'll catch the Rockies and Astros in no time.

Keep it up sf, I haven't checked in for a while, but I still hold out hope that you can make the playoffs.

2 games isn't that much, you could make it up easily, even though you've been mired in a slump for the last month and a half.

Glad to see Cain finally got some run support, and that Frandsen is continuing to belt the ball out of the park.

Nice move moving Aurilia on, as glad as I was to see him back with SF in 07, it's time for him to move on or retire. No production = No job.

Get Misch and the pitchers on a roll and we'll catch the Rockies and Astros in no time.

Hey - good to see you check back in :D

Delcarmen has been a great pickup, granted he's only appeared twice so far; but he's been fantastic and could really help solidify that eighth inning for us, something that's been shakey all season.

Two games isn't too much, but we can't have many more stretches like we've had recently. There are a lot of contenders for the wild card right now, so there are a lot of teams that could take advantage of a poor week or two.

Some big series against wild card contenders in August. This month could prove to be a major factor in the race.

This is the quickest moving dynasty I have ever seen. Good job! Good luck with the rest of the season, go Giants!

Heh...it has been moving quickly, hasn't it. I'm hoping that doesn't take away from the enjoyment of it though. :D

My reasoning for approaching it like I have is that I plan on presenting this over the course of at least two seasons, possibly more depending on the success I have - or don't have. If I played every game, I could be presenting this dynasty into the next decade :joystick:

ahhhh, i thought you played every game, lol. and of course it doesn't take anything away from it ;)

lol...nah, I manage most of them when I do a "real" dynasty. I played all the Total Classics Madness games because it was a special presentation. :D

Basically, I play the first game of each division series and manage the rest through the first couple months. Starting around June/July, I play all games against teams that I'm fighting for a playoff spot with.

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

August 1, 2008

Zito Falters Late in 6-3 Loss

Maddux solid from mound and plate in victory

august1fg6.jpg

Barry Zito held serve with future hall of famer Greg Maddux through the first four innings, but the San

Diego offense opened up for six runs over the next three innings as the Padres went on to a 6-3 win

over the San Francisco Giants tonight at AT&T Park.

Maddux allowed just three runs on six hits over eight innings as he improved to 8-8. Zito fell to 4-9

after allowing six runs on nine hits over seven innings.

Randy Winn and Kevin Frandsen each went two-for-four with an RBI for the Giants. Khalil Greene drove

in three runs for San Diego.

Scoring

B3: Frandsen double scores Lewis

T5: Greene two-run HR; Maddux single scores Antonelli

B5: Winn triple scores Frandsen; Wood sacrifice fly scores Winn

T6: Gonzalez double scores Barrett; Greene grounds out to short, Gonzalez scores

T7: Ensberg single scores Maddux

W – Maddux (8-8) L – Zito (4-9) S - Carrillo (2)

Player of the Game:

Randy Winn 2-4, 3B, RBI

August 1, 2008 Boxscore

August 2, 2008

Padres Dismantle Giants in 18-8 Blowout

Gonzalez drives in five for San Diego

august2gx3.jpg

The San Diego Padres took a 2-0 lead in the top of the first and a 5-1 lead after three tonight against

the San Francisco Giants; but relentlessly continued their onslaught as they plated 13 combined runs

in the sixth and eighth innings on their way to an 18-8 beatdown.

Kevin Corriea surrendered eight runs, seven earned, on 10 hits over five and one-thirds innings. Three

Giants relievers then combined to allow 10 runs on nine hits in just two and one-thirds innings to blow

the game open.

Michael Barrett went five-for-five with three doubles and an RBI. Adrian Gonzalez went three-for-five

and drove in five runs. The top five hitters for San Diego all scored at least two runs a piece in the

contest.

Fred Lewis injured his wrist in the ninth inning after sliding head first into home while scoring on a

single by Kevin Frandsen. The extent of the injury is not yet known.

Scoring

T1: Gonzalez single scores Ensberg, Barrett

B2: Ortmeier solo HR

T3: Barrett double scores Giles; Hidalgo grounds out to second, Ensberg scores; Greene reaches on

an error by the second baseman, Barrett scores

B4: Winn solo HR; Molina solo HR

T6: Giles single scores Hunter; Gonzalez single scores Giles, Ensberg; Hidalgo two-run HR

B6: Molina double scores Winn; Vizquel walks, Wood scores; Martinez-Esteve grounds out to third,

Molina scores

T8: Gonzalez single scores Ensberg; Antonelli double scores Barrett, Gonzalez; Hunter double scores

Hidalgo, Antonelli; Oyervidez single scores Hunter; Ensberg single scores Oyervidez, Giles

B9: Frandsen single scores Schierholtz, Lewis

W – Germano (5-7) L – Correia (8-11)

Player of the Game:

Bengie Molina 2-3, 2B, HR, 2 RBI, BB

August 2, 2008 Boxscore

August 3, 2008

Misch, Jennings Step Up to Prevent Sweep

Rookie battery propels Giants to 2-1 win

august3gn7.jpg

Thanks to a game-tying double from fellow rookie Todd Jennings, Pat Misch was able to pick up the

11th victory of his rookie campaign as the Giants prevented a sweep by the San Diego Padres, 2-1.

Misch allowed just one run on four hits in seven innings of work, a solo home run by Michael Barrett in

the seventh the only blemish on his night.

Opposing hurler Jake Peavy was solid as well, holding the Giants scoreless until a two-run bottom of

the seventh. Peavy fell to 4-5 on an injury-shortened season.

Jennings went two-for-three in a rare start, giving regular catcher Bengie Molina a breather in today's

afternoon contest.

Scoring

T5: Barrett solo HR

B5: Jennings double scores Vizquel; Davis single scores Jennings

W – Misch (11-6) L – Peavy (4-5) S - Wilson (27)

Player of the Game:

Pat Misch 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 K, 3 BB

August 3, 2008 Boxscore

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

August 3, 2007

Lewis Lands on DL with Wrist Sprain

SAN FRANCISCO - The San Francisco Giants have announced that left fielder Fred Lewis has been

placed on the 15-day DL with a sprained left wrist. Lewis injured the wrist in the Giants 18-8 loss to

San Diego.

Justin Leone has been called up from Fresno to fill the open roster spot.

Archived