Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
OTBjoel

"Legends from the Booth" Play-By-Play

I'll start on the first one, unless someone already has...

It would probably go quicker if you catalogued the one I posted. Those are already broken down into a grouping, which will make it easier for us to swap them out.

I think Joel and I are going to diverge on this project once all the Scully stuff is organized. I'll try to keep Campbell or just Scully in the booth while he wants to add Mel Allen.

But it is important that we get the Scully stuff done 1st.

Did anyone actually download the link I provided?

Joel, what we need is an app that allows us to a) turn these vag files into wav (hopefully in a batch mode). Then we need an app that allows us to load a list into it and convert said wav files over into their rightful place in the MVP audio file. The app would have to recognize what the file size of the original file is and then convert the new file to be smaller than that.

Well, my stuff has already been converted to wave. You have to download a program called AWAVE. The problem with doing a simple convert is not all the sound bits are exactly the same. I am doing this process manually and having to edit some of the wave files or you will get stuff that is a little off grammatically. I agree, let's get the Scully stuff going for a common starting point then we can diverge from there which I have no problem with. Another issue is that the Scully files have to be down converted quite a bit to fit into the original pbpdat. Somehow the original game's sound files achieve a level of compression that is not possible with the SX program. The original sound files are at a bitrate of 22050hz and to get Vin to fit, you have to download the original 32000hz file all the way down to 11025hz and sometimes smaller. Every once in a while you can get it to fit at 12000 or 16000hz but not often. However, I've found a pretty cool side benefit to all this. Scully ends up sounding like he's coming out of a radio which adds its own "classic" feel to it. I kinda like it and don't have a problem with it.

I have downloaded AWAVE. I just didn't purchase the full license to convert them to wave. I just use it to play them.

It was very stupid on my part to upload those .vag files like that. I'm sure most people couldn't even listen to them.

If you'd like, you could take those audio files I uploaded and convert them to wave and then reupload them for people to listen to and catalogue.

That's very disconcerting about the audio change due to the down compression. While it is a cool effect, it will take away from the realness of the game, I think. Could it be we need a better compression tool? How was EA able to keep the quality so high?

HCL,

When I looked at your archive, I only saw a subfolder with "Hit calls" that had anything in it. There was a subfolder with "homerun calls" but it was empty. Can you check your file again? Or you could just give me what the ranges are and I'll upload the wave files based on that. I converted the VAG's to WAV's already. You know, I never did buy a license but I extracted the waves, the very first day I downloaded it so maybe I couldn't do it at this point either. Got it done, just in time.

Yeah, there shouldn't be anything in Homeruns. I last worked on that folder 5 months ago. What I probably had intending on doing was taking those files that are in the 'Hit Calls' folder and further subdividing them into homerun calls. I'm almost certain the homerun calls are actually in that large listing of files.

Today I divided up some other Vin Calls such as Defensive plays (Good and Bad), a whole litany of team names and numbers that go in the between inning stuff and postgame stuff.

I'll probably have to break down and buy AWAVE once we get this all organized.

For all the dividing work I've done (10,000 files) there are still 4,500 files I haven't put into folders yet.

You shouldn't have to buy it. If you just download the stuff I'm uploading, you can put those wave files into the appropriate folders yourself if you already know what the numbered indexes are. I'm uploading more throughout the week. In a couple of weeks, the whole thing should be up there.

HCL and OTB, you guys are doing some mad work over there. I along with the rest of MVPMods members, assure you, that this is an awesome thing you guys are trying to build. I cant wait to hear just a sample. Vin Scully? How sick will that be? :wtg: Just make sure when you guys are done, you post the paypal accounts, guys will be donating. this stuff is just to much work to not get something in return.

Thanks for the nice words. There's a sample of the introduction on the first page of this thread that you can download.

Also, if anybody else wants to help, I am posting more sound files and we could use more help notating them.

I found a bunch of color commentary by Vin Scully in the 5000 range. It looks like he'll be doing some color commentary as well. So... it looks like these will be the roles

1) Mel Allen: Primary PBP

2) Vin Scully: Play-by-Play/Color Commentary

3) Ernie Harwell: Color Commentary, a few PBP calls

Somehow the original game's sound files achieve a level of compression that is not possible with the SX program. The original sound files are at a bitrate of 22050hz and to get Vin to fit, you have to download the original 32000hz file all the way down to 11025hz and sometimes smaller. Every once in a while you can get it to fit at 12000 or 16000hz but not often. However, I've found a pretty cool side benefit to all this. Scully ends up sounding like he's coming out of a radio which adds its own "classic" feel to it. I kinda like it and don't have a problem with it.

Have you tried using this command line with sx.exe ?

sx -ps2stream -.dat *.wav -mt_blk

It's makes much smaller files than

sx.exe -sndstream -.dat *.wav
or the ditty importer.

Thanks Hory. Actually, I haven't tried using the ps2stream. I'm hoping this is the ticket. Luckily, I am not too deep into the importing as I thought we might learn some stuff later. I stopped and got into the indexing a bit more.