Dylan's Mvp Baseball 2005 Batter Rating Calculator - Support Topic

DylanBradbury

I really like the ratings I get from this one. Also, as you tweak the defensive one, it's getting better and better.

I'd be using it now but my g/f got the computer before I did, and is playing bejeweled on it. I am on my "work horse" PC where I do everything but gaming... Maybe later...

Thanks, I like the Batter Calculator too!

I improved the second basemen's fielding formula slightly in the Defensive Calculator. If you find any erroneous ratings, just tell me the position, and the rating, I'll try to fix them ASAP.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dylan, just a thought as I'm sitting here working on rosters. Is there anyway you could include HR% against RHP and LHP in the calculator? I know it's easy enough to figure out on our own but it seems like it could be figured into the calculator with just a few additions (AB vs. RHP/HR vs. RHP, AB vs. LHP/HR vs. LHP). Just a thought...

Hey Dylan, just a thought as I'm sitting here working on rosters. Is there anyway you could include HR% against RHP and LHP in the calculator? I know it's easy enough to figure out on our own but it seems like it could be figured into the calculator with just a few additions (AB vs. RHP/HR vs. RHP, AB vs. LHP/HR vs. LHP). Just a thought...

If you mean incorporate it into the formulas, the formulas are pretty accurate without it. Why fix something if it's not broken? :)

If not, please explain. :unsure:

No, I'm not saying anything's broken but in MVP Edit, underneath the hitting zones it has percentages. It has LF/CF/RF and then below that there's groundball/line drive/fly ball and then below those there home runs. All it is is the percent of HR to AB against a RH or LH pitcher. It's a simple HR/AB formula and it's not really any work to figure it out yourself but it's one more thing that could be automated. I also think these HR %'s can have a big impact on a player's stats in the game. For instance, say you've got a guy who hits a ton of doubles and triples but not all that many HR. Those doubles and triples boost his power ratings but if his HR %'s are too high he'll hit more HR than he should rather than hitting the doubles and triples...

I really like this tool and I use it alot. One thing I was wondering if you could add though is plate discipline. When you've put all the numbers in, run the calculator you get contact, power and speed if I'm not mistaken, so adding plate discipline would be nice as well.

I really like this tool and I use it alot. One thing I was wondering if you could add though is plate discipline. When you've put all the numbers in, run the calculator you get contact, power and speed if I'm not mistaken, so adding plate discipline would be nice as well.

It already has plate discipline, bunting, durability, stealing aggressiveness, base running ability, speed, then power and contact vs lefty, and righty.

Maybe there is an older version that you have that is that way, otherwise the last few versions have all included all of the above..

Yeah, I have only been using it for the past 2 or 3 weeks. If memory serves me, the first file I downloaded was littered with about 3 or 4 different versions. I had trouble finding the current version in the mess of files, and installers that were mixed in there...

Get the latest, and I am sure you will like it.

No, I'm not saying anything's broken but in MVP Edit, underneath the hitting zones it has percentages. It has LF/CF/RF and then below that there's groundball/line drive/fly ball and then below those there home runs. All it is is the percent of HR to AB against a RH or LH pitcher. It's a simple HR/AB formula and it's not really any work to figure it out yourself but it's one more thing that could be automated. I also think these HR %'s can have a big impact on a player's stats in the game. For instance, say you've got a guy who hits a ton of doubles and triples but not all that many HR. Those doubles and triples boost his power ratings but if his HR %'s are too high he'll hit more HR than he should rather than hitting the doubles and triples...

I LOVE this idea, but the only issue I would see with it is that you are entering batting totals, and not splits.... So the calculator would just be estimating the home run % splits, which isn't all bad, so long as they are based off of accurate numbers.

I LOVE this idea, but the only issue I would see with it is that you are entering batting totals, and not splits.... So the calculator would just be estimating the home run % splits, which isn't all bad, so long as they are based off of accurate numbers.

That's why an input box would have to be added for AB vs. RHP, AB vs. LHP, HR vs. RHP and HR vs. LHP

If memory serves me, the first file I downloaded was littered with about 3 or 4 different versions. I had trouble finding the current version in the mess of files, and installers that were mixed in there...

I'm nearly 34, and I seem to forget everything these days... 19 year olds should remember that crap :p

People asked for a Installation program. I made it. No one ever complained.

That's why an input box would have to be added for AB vs. RHP, AB vs. LHP, HR vs. RHP and HR vs. LHP

I've attached an Excel Spreadsheet that should suffice.

I've never received so many complaints in one day. :( In fact people usually like my programs. This programs usually the gem.

It took me years to come up with my formulas. It took me months to teach myself Visual Basic.

Constructive criticism is one thing, but "Dylan that was a mess", or "Dylan do this" isn't kind.

Modders shouldn't have to put up with it.

I absolutely hate confrontation. :(

Wow, Dylan, mine wasn't meant to be negative.... The installer wasn't the issue for me either. I just had like 4 or 5 folders inside the file I downloaded, and there were like 3 or 4 different versions of the program, an installer, a bunch of different files that I had no idea what they were... I just wasn't sure which was the updated one, and what wasn't... I was afraid to ask you as well, because I didn't want to bother you. If you remember, I had just bothered you to find, I think this exact program for me, since it was missing from the download section. If I still have it, I will send it to you so you can see what I was saying....

And Dylan, don't take things so hard. No one meant anything bad by it. It was mostly just suggestions, and mine was just a comment, that I am sorry if it upset you, but it was not meant that way...

Hold you head up, smile, be proud of what you have created, and just know that I (and others) love your programs. I couldn't do my rosters without them.

I know ZERO about programming, and because of that, am a little jealous of your knowledge, and ability to create your own programs.

And, I will tell you what. I have spent the past 3 years or so modding Stadiums for High Heat Baseball, over at Simcentral.com. I know what it is like to deal with people not liking your work. This thread is nothing ;).... If I could send you some of the emails, PMs, and posts I received from certain people over there... It's part of the reason I gave up High Heat, and came here... Just to get away from modding for it...

Not to hijack this thread any more than we already have, but I just was thinking about this... It's not asking for home runs per AB... It asking for hr's per ball put in play.

It is looking for how many balls in play are line drives, how many are ground balls, how many are fly balls, and how many are home runs... The 4 things it is asking percentages for are all balls put in play... I thought HR's per ab was giving some pretty low numbers...

I'm not saying this is perfect, but a better formula would be HR/(AB-K).

AB's minus K's would give you an idea of how many balls are actually put in play. In a plate appearance, you can basically have 3 things happen: Walk, K, or ball put in play resulting in a hit, or an out.

Walks are not included in AB totals, just K's and balls put in play. Take the AB's, minus the walks to get balls put in play. Divide the number of home runs by that, and you have your home run %. As far as figuring line drive/fly ball/ground balls... That is up to you... :D

People asked for a Installation program. I made it. No one ever complained.

I've attached an Excel Spreadsheet that should suffice.

I've never received so many complaints in one day. :( In fact people usually like my programs. This programs usually the gem.

It took me years to come up with my formulas. It took me months to teach myself Visual Basic.

Constructive criticism is one thing, but "Dylan that was a mess", or "Dylan do this" isn't kind.

Modders shouldn't have to put up with it.

I absolutely hate confrontation. :(

Dylan, don't take my suggestion negative, that's all it was, was a suggestion. Your calculators are some of the very best mods on this site IMO and I couldn't get by without em. So please don't take anything I said as a negative as it was never meant that way...

Not to hijack this thread any more than we already have, but I just was thinking about this... It's not asking for home runs per AB... It asking for hr's per ball put in play.

It is looking for how many balls in play are line drives, how many are ground balls, how many are fly balls, and how many are home runs... The 4 things it is asking percentages for are all balls put in play... I thought HR's per ab was giving some pretty low numbers...

I'm not saying this is perfect, but a better formula would be HR/(AB-K).

AB's minus K's would give you an idea of how many balls are actually put in play. In a plate appearance, you can basically have 3 things happen: Walk, K, or ball put in play resulting in a hit, or an out.

Walks are not included in AB totals, just K's and balls put in play. Take the AB's, minus the walks to get balls put in play. Divide the number of home runs by that, and you have your home run %. As far as figuring line drive/fly ball/ground balls... That is up to you... :D

Damn you! You're right... now I know why my percentages were always so much lower than what was in the other rosters I looked at. Now I gotta go back and recalulate all those numbers... son of a... lol

Thanks for pointing that out though...

Yippee! I thought you were all criticizing. I absolutely hate confrontations.

Eric: Homerun percentage is always calculated as HR/AB

If memory serves me, the first file I downloaded was littered with about 3 or 4 different versions. I had trouble finding the current version in the mess of files, and installers that were mixed in there...

The above statement, is what upset me most. Again, no one had a problem with my program. No one ever mentioned it was a "mess of files" or "littered "

And Eric, if you did, you should have asked me about it man. I really despise people talking for other people.

Yippee! I thought you were all criticizing. I absolutely hate confrontations.

Eric: Homerun percentage is always calculated as HR/AB

I don't know, I think he may be right cause if you look at KG's rosters for example, the HR percentages are too high to be HR/AB

I realize that but in MVPEdit it has a box for Groundball %, Liner %, Flyball % and HR % and the 4 combined always add up to 100% and if they don't the program automatically adjusts them to be 100%. If MVPEdit went by what you posted above then either those percentages wouldn't add up to 100% or their would be another box to include strikeouts. I understand what you're saying and I agree, that is the correct way to measure that stat, however, in MVPEdit's case you can't go by that and be accurate... I hope you see where I'm coming from, not trying to argue it with you, but I think ya gotta go with what the program is written for... and that's obviously by the number of balls in play...

I get what you are saying Dylan, but if you look at the actual editor, it is 100% of line drives, fly outs, ground balls, and home runs when you combine them all. If you raise the home run %, it lowers one of the others. I mean, I don't want to tell anyone how to make a roster, but my opinion is that it is asking what percentage of balls in play are home runs...

Even if you look at the original rosters, the home run % are higher than if you figure them hr/AB... That's what got me to thinking...

Luckily I was only on the 3 team of redoing them, so it wasn't much to go back and fix...

Plus, I just got a book: "Neyer/James Guide to Pitchers", and it lists all known references to what pitches most pitchers threw throughout history ... So I am going back and redoing my pitching right now anyway. It's great to actually have a guide to know what some of these guys were throwing back then... And Dylans pitcher rating calc does an amazing job of estimating the velocity. According to this book, guys were throwing in the 80's back in the day (the flame throwers), and of course, that is just a guess based on people who saw them throw... But most of those older guys are getting fastball velocity somewhere in the 80's in your calc.. Great stuff

I get what you are saying Dylan, but if you look at the actual editor, it is 100% of line drives, fly outs, ground balls, and home runs when you combine them all. If you raise the home run %, it lowers one of the others. I mean, I don't want to tell anyone how to make a roster, but my opinion is that it is asking what percentage of balls in play are home runs...

Even if you look at the original rosters, the home run % are higher than if you figure them hr/AB... That's what got me to thinking...

Luckily I was only on the 3 team of redoing them, so it wasn't much to go back and fix...

You guys asked me for a simple calculator, so I made a simple calculator. Relax man. <_<

Archived