Back In Black: A 2009 Chicago Whitesox Franchise

Maestro23

How did I miss this update??   :huh:

Great job on getting that series, M.  And I have to admit (possibly because I have to deal with him 12-15 times a year), any time you can pull the reigns in on Ichiro you've accomplished something.  Updates look fantastic too, love the overlapping pics addition, good stuff!

Also, congrats on getting that lead back in the Central, that 1 game lead looks like a mountain in "my eyes".  :D  

Oh, and, take it easy on my boys, will ya?  (there may be something extra in the envelope...)   B)

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been around much because I went back to MVP. I finally had enough of 2K9. It has so much potential but the little things get to me. I still check up on your DM page though, and check the forum from time to time.

Your franchise has been the only one I've actually kept up with from the start, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I always end up losing interest at some point with other franchise's. My hats off to you and all the work you put into it.

Man, I hear ya on 2K. Those "little" things rear their ugly head from time to time on me as well. I'm grinding this franchise out, though. The game does have so much potential, but the gameplay has got to be tightened up in next year's release for me to even consider it for doing a dynasty. Hopefully they have listened to the various complaints on certain aspects of the game, and make some good improvements.

I might be going back to MVP next year. You can't beat how solid the game is thanks to the following:

1. Accurate Rosters (MLB to Single-A): All the hard work, time, and effort that going into rating all the players correctly makes a ton of difference.

2. A good datafile/slider combination is the key. (Cracking that datafile has extended the life of MVP, greatly).

3. All the tools/editors that the community has come up with over the years, make running a franchise/dynasty so much easier.

* All MVP needs is a new graphics engine, and to borrow a few things from 2K and The Show. :D

How did I miss this update??   :huh:

Great job on getting that series, M.  And I have to admit (possibly because I have to deal with him 12-15 times a year), any time you can pull the reigns in on Ichiro you've accomplished something.  Updates look fantastic too, love the overlapping pics addition, good stuff!

Also, congrats on getting that lead back in the Central, that 1 game lead looks like a mountain in "my eyes".  :D  

Oh, and, take it easy on my boys, will ya?  (there may be something extra in the envelope...)   B)

Thanks J. Yeah, 1st two games Ichiro was not an issue. Then as you see, he started the scoring for them in Game 3. And, good Lord... "King" Felix was bringing the damn heat. Then he would drop that off-speed stuff on me and it was all over. -_-

On the new look. Thanks, thought I would try something different for a couple of series.

You're boys got me in Game 1 last night. Eveland and Ziegler put the clamps down on me. I tell ya, I love playing in the Coliseum, but I cranked some balls that just died out there. That plays is huge. B)

*Also, you can always tell we I update, by checking the red date in my sig. :D

Update:

Sox lucky in getting a 2-1 series win over Oakland. Pitchers dominated the series on both sides, as a ton of men were left on base.

Ozzie is benching Thome against Lefty's until further notice. Big Jim is just struggling too much against them. He's hurting the team with RISP.

Sox looking for some easy wins against last-place KC, as they come to the South Side for 3 games.

As always, check my DM-Page for full-coverage: http://www.dynastymanager.com/teampage.php...3&sport=mlb

STAY THIRSTY, my friends. :hi:

2dakb2s.jpg

Oakland Series Recap and League News:

post-30931-1252819187_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1252819200_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1252819210_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1252819229_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1252819240_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1252819255_thumb.jpg

Wow, what a tight series.  It's always good when you can win 2 of 3, especially when they're all one run games.  Not to mention the fact that you're clinging to a one run lead in the division.  I see you finally decided to sit Thomas vs lefties.  You hate to have to sit that kind of power at any time, but it's probably something that will work out in the long run.

Great updates, now if you can get that series sweep against the Royals, you should be seeing some daylight soon in the division.   B)

Wow, what a tight series.  It's always good when you can win 2 of 3, especially when they're all one run games.  Not to mention the fact that you're clinging to a one run lead in the division.  I see you finally decided to sit Thomas vs lefties.  You hate to have to sit that kind of power at any time, but it's probably something that will work out in the long run.

Great updates, now if you can get that series sweep against the Royals, you should be seeing some daylight soon in the division.   B)

@ Sabathia: Thanks for the compliments, man.

Jay, your pitchers kept me off-balance all series at the plate. Can't tell ya how many times I swung at junk and came out of my shoes. ^_^

I left so many men on base and hit into so many DP's, it's not even funny. Big Jim was the worst though. I finally had to pull the trigger.

I love playing in that park, but it's so dang big. And I couldn't find the gaps to save my life. And when I did hit a ball on the screws... it died a horrible death out there. <_<

Hoping I can beat up on KC for some easy wins and get some seperation from Cleveland. They're like my shadow. -_-

I left so many men on base and hit into so many DP's, it's not even funny. Big Jim was the worst though. I finally had to pull the trigger.

I hear you loud and clear.  As you know, some of the best fixes are disguised in moves like this.  Time will certainly tell.  I hated losing Holliday, but in the aftermath of trying to fill his spot any way I could, I've gotten fantastic results from a few of the right- handed batters I've experimented with.

I love playing in that park, but it's so dang big. And I couldn't find the gaps to save my life. And when I did hit a ball on the screws... it died a horrible death out there. <_<

I have the same problem, probably why my "runs scored" total is fairly low for the season, which in turn has definitely forced me to pitch better.

I noticed all three games low scoring, 3-2, 3-2, 2-1.  Parks like this definitely make you focus on the mound when your offense can't put runs across.

Update:

Sox take 2 of 3 from KC. Buehrle steps up big in the rubber game. MacDougal is clutch in relief, notching 2 saves in the series.

Chicago now leads the Tribe by 3 games.

Will now host the O's in the last series of this current home-stand. Ozzie's looking for a series win, as the Sox will head on their most dangerous road trip of the season: Boston, New York, and Minnesota.

As always, check my DM-Page for full-coverage: http://www.dynastymanager.com/teampage.php...%20out%20of%203

2ivjl7b.jpg

Royals Series Recap & League News:

post-30931-1253057178_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253057190_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253057201_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253057226_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253057236_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253057249_thumb.jpg

Man, you're rollin', M.  Dismantling the Central one series at a time.  I see you've got some cushion with a 3 game lead, that's how it's done!

I'm loving those pic/in/pic updates, sort of has that comic book feel.  Great stuff!   B)

Thanks Jay. Yeah, it's really just me and the Tribe in the Central. I was shocked when I saw that they had gotten swept, but I didn't shed any tears. :D

Yeah, I like doing this "comic" book type update. That's actually were I got the idea. ^_^

Need to take this O's series, because I'm not looking forward to the next 7 games on the road. Four at Boston, then we head to see the Yankees' new house.

Very cool, I was actually toying around with an idea similar to this back in March before my planned 2K9 dynasty.  I was going to run a weekly "update" called (as you can see) The Wrigley Wrap Up, done in a comic book fashion.  

Not sure how it would have panned out, but here's what I had started with:

lol, don't pay attention to the Bartman thing, I was just messing around with ideas.   :D

Very cool, I was actually toying around with an idea similar to this back in March before my planned 2K9 dynasty.  I was going to run a weekly "update" called (as you can see) The Wrigley Wrap Up, done in a comic book fashion.  

Not sure how it would have panned out, but here's what I had started with:

210yo3b.jpg

lol, don't pay attention to the Bartman thing, I was just messing around with ideas.   :D

Ah man, that would have been cool as hell. :yahoo: I've thought about adding the "thought/voice" bubbles myself on a few pics.

I like this setup because it gives you all the important things that happened in the game in a short, to the point format. You know in this day and age, people don't like to "read" anything of length anymore. You lose them after the 1st paragraph. <_<

I like this setup because it gives you all the important things that happened in the game in a short, to the point format. You know in this day and age, people don't like to "read" anything of length anymore. You lose them after the 1st paragraph. <_<

I agree, the problem is that diehards like us (and a lot people on this site) have to have the details and the stats, correct numbers and so on.  I guess that's the curse of being a fan of the game.

But one of these days I'd love to do a "fantasy" dynasty just to see how much interest it could bring.  You could pretty much do whatever you wanted, and no one would say it was right or wrong.   B)

Update:

Sox take 2 of 3 from Baltimore. Contreras gets win #16, while Jenks notches MLB-leading 26th Saves.

Thome seems to be finding his stroke, since Ozzie benched him against left-handers.

We now have a 4 game lead over the Tribe. :yahoo:

Getting ready to start the road-trip from hell. Heading to Boston for a big 4-game series. Red Sox are on fire right now, with an 8-game winning streak, including just having swept the Yankees. Boston has pulled to within 3.5 games of 1st-place Tampa Bay.

As always, check my DM-Page for full-coverage: http://www.dynastymanager.com/teampage.php...3&sport=mlb

2s668uq.jpg

Baltimore Series Recap & League News:

post-30931-1253250529_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253250540_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253250554_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253250573_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253250584_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253250595_thumb.jpg

Great job on nailing down the series again, at least now you've built that cushion to 4 games before heading into Boston.  This should be an interesting series, from the looks of things you have the slight edge, but the fact that it's on the road may be a little tougher.

I'd say getting the split would be considered a success.   B)

Great job on nailing down the series again, at least now you've built that cushion to 4 games before heading into Boston.  This should be an interesting series, from the looks of things you have the slight edge, but the fact that it's on the road may be a little tougher.

I'd say getting the split would be considered a success.   B)

Thanks Jay. I've been looking at this road-trip for awhile now, and I wanted to have some kind of lead over Cleveland before I went into Boston then New York. :unsure:

I'll will gladly take a 2-2 split. I think my best chances will be the final 2 games of the series, where I've got Danks (14-7, 2.94) and Contreras (16-2, 2.47) taking the hill.

I just hope Thome doesn't fall in love with "Pesky's" Pole and try to pull everything. :D

Update:

Wow, I'm glad to be leaving Beantown. The Red Sox beat me like I stole something, taking 3 of 4 in the series. Dice-K and Lester even tossed shutouts against me. Game 2 was a 19-inning marathon, that I thought would never end.

Contreras stepped up big in the final game for his 17th win of the year. Jenks picked up his MLB leading 27th save, but it was no cake walk.

Haven't had a team frustrate me like that all season. Good pitching and they played some great defense. The wind was blowing in from the right all series, so any ball that was hit to rightfield, died a horrible death. Big Papi hit the only homerun of the series to actually clear the fence.

We stopped their win streak at 11 games. Those 3 losses hurt, as Cleveland picked up 2 games on me. They now only trail by 2.

Heading to the Yankees new house for a 3-game series next. They've been struggling as of late, so I'm hoping to steal the series.

As always, check my DM-Page for full coverage: http://www.dynastymanager.com/teampage.php...3&sport=mlb

2r73pf8.jpg

Boston Series Recap & League News:

post-30931-1253854402_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253854413_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253854423_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253854434_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253854498_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253854512_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1253854525_thumb.jpg

Rough series, M, looks like Contreras is the man though.  The Central is probably about to get a little more interesting after this trip to the Bronx.  It looks like the Yankees are playing about .500, but it's always rough to play them at home.

Great updates as always, and good luck with the Yankees.   B)

Rough series, M, looks like Contreras is the man though.  The Central is probably about to get a little more interesting after this trip to the Bronx.  It looks like the Yankees are playing about .500, but it's always rough to play them at home.

Great updates as always, and good luck with the Yankees.   B)

Thanks Jay.

Like I said, the Yankees are hurting right now in the midst of a 7-game skid, so I'm hoping I can at least come out of there with 2 wins.

Hopefully I can take advantage of that "jet-stream" in right field. ^_^

Update:

Sox enjoy their first visit to Yankees' new house, taking 2 of 3. Sabathia stopped their sweep attempt with his 7-hit shutout in Game 3.

Jenks picked up saves 28 & 29. He leads the Majors.

Sox travel to Minnesota next for 3 games.

Still have a 2 game lead over the Tribe.

As always, check out my DM-Page for full-coverage: http://www.dynastymanager.com/teampage.php...3&sport=mlb

2i04plc.jpg

Yankees' Series Recap & League News:

post-30931-1254436994_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1254437007_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1254437018_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1254437041_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1254437050_thumb.jpg

post-30931-1254437088_thumb.jpg

.."that dump in Minnesota.."  lol, careful Ozzie.   B)

Awesome series, M.  Man, you must have been outta your mind when you went up 9-8 (6th inning) in Game 2.  If it were me, I'm thinking,  "damn, I've got 3 innings left..why can't this be over?", and then they're still fighting you in the bottom 9th.  Way to hang in there.

Looks like they had your number in the Game 3 shutout.  I see Sabathia was tough, but only 3K's?  Probably hard to get solid contact with C.C.'s caliber of pitching, would be my guess.  Congrats on having the best record in the league, but don't throw the party quite yet, Cleveland is probably going to be breathing down your neck for the rest of the season.

Great updates as always, M.!   :good:

.."that dump in Minnesota.."  lol, careful Ozzie.   B)

Awesome series, M.  Man, you must have been outta your mind when you went up 9-8 (6th inning) in Game 2.  If it were me, I'm thinking,  "damn, I've got 3 innings left..why can't this be over?", and then they're still fighting you in the bottom 9th.  Way to hang in there.

Thanks Jay.

Man, Ozzie hates that place as much as Wrigley. :D

Man, Game 2. That 2-out rally started with a little single back up the middle by Torres (Called him up from Charlotte a few games ago.) I had just about thrown in the towel. Then we rallied for 4 straight hits, and then Quentin capped it with that big 3-run bomb.

We really rattled Pettitte as you can see, because we scored 3 more the next inning. (2-RBI triple by the backup catcher Ramon Castro... Go figure. :huh: ) And I was thinking exactly what you posted above. My early problems with my bullpen crept into my mind, and Jenks hasn't been "lights-out" lately when I bring him in. When they got that run in the 9th, I was like "Here we go..." <_< No lie, I went through 2 beers that game. :D

Game 3 with Sabathia. He was coming right at my guys. He was getting some 'hometown" calls, if you know what I mean. <_< Really couldn't work the counts, so I was swinging at just about everything. They played some great defense that game.

Matsui almost had 3 homeruns against me in that final game, but the wind kept one in. He got all of it too.

Yankee Stadium played true to it real-life counterpart. Every homerun hit in that series was to rightfield. ^_^

This is where my buddies would tell you to take the nipple off. :D

This is where I'd say Southern is a more effective choice. ;)

True, very true. I had to nurse them, they were the last 2 in the house. :D

The cupboard was bare. Had Coke but no Captain. 7-up but no Seagrams. Red Bull... no Vodka. :cray:

Archived