I Removed Inside Edge From The Game

mike360

I was just playin' around with something tonight. I don't know if any of you guys will find this interesting, but I do. If you're interested in this, I'll let ya know what I did to do it.

It does change the way AI batters perform. For instance, I have the batting success at 100 and pitching success at 100 and I'm watching a CPU vs CPU game. It's different than it was before I took IE outta the game. I see lots of different types of foul balls and they seem to wait for a good pitch now. I use CPU vs CPU to test CPU slider adjustments.

post-61177-1240209465_thumb.jpg

post-61177-1240209477_thumb.jpg

post-61177-1240211060_thumb.jpg

i would like to know.

All I did was remove every file beginning with ie out of the MLB 2K9 folder. I made a directory called backup and put 'em in there just in case I needed them. I honestly thought the game would crash after I deleted the files, but check out what it does when you look at the inside edge from the roster menu.

mike what sliders are using?

I don't use anyone's. I'm just playin' around with the slider settings..

I would think removing IE outta the game would make it better because it would be a raw matchup of the pitcher's ratings vs the batter's ratings.

The only potential downside I see is that you could potentially pitch all of the hitters the same, if they don't have certain hot/cold spots or tendencies.

It would be like removing the hot/cold zones from MVP.

I'm also wondering if contact/power on a low/away pitch would be the same as one right down the middle.

We've had many discussions regarding IEdge from the 2k7 and 2k8 boards, and the consensus was that a lot of the gameplay is based off of the information contained within IEdge.

It would also be interesting to see if pitcher throw their different pitches the same % of the time w/o the inside edge info to go off of.

Heh, I just removed the overlay. It's not very practical. I don't like the overlay position though. I'd like it either on the left side or right side.

Yea i did that too ended up putting it back in though. You shoudl try my no ball cursor mod mike or remove it yourself. Pitching is alot better without that damn cursor.

Just foolin around with it a bit and it seems like the cpu hacks a lot sometimes and looks at meat balls down center street at other times. I don't know though it may have been just that game, I was playin cubs(me) vs brewers btw. Pitching still seemed ok though, I defintely could have drawn a few walks but I was swingin a lot to see what kind of contact was being made.

I hit quite a few fly balls, a good bit of them to center field. I did hit one homer with ramirez that was pulled down the left field line. Didn't really change the sliders from what I had been using so maybe with some tweaks this could work.

I have been playing without the IE for a few nights now and haven't noticed a whole lot of difference with them not in the game. But I find if I turn down the IE slider to 0 I get more accurate results.I am still testing it with slider sets. I have found that turning the AI contact up to 70 or higher and contact at 50 with the IE turned down to 0 I get alot more foul balls from the computer players.I myself fouled off 6 straight pitches in a game last night with those settings.

I have been playing without the IE for a few nights now and haven't noticed a whole lot of difference with them not in the game. But I find if I turn down the IE slider to 0 I get more accurate results.I am still testing it with slider sets. I have found that turning the AI contact up to 70 or higher and contact at 50 with the IE turned down to 0 I get alot more foul balls from the computer players.I myself fouled off 6 straight pitches in a game last night with those settings.

Yea, the Inside Edge Batting influence sliders have to be set to 0 to get decent results after removing IE from the game.

It does play different. I didn't like this game before I removed the IE from it. I see some good suff now. Last night, I saw a HR off the foul pole, and it was by Joujima, that guy on the Mariners, and he's not even a power hitter, so that was pretty cool.

Also, I see a bigger variety of foul balls and they're more frequent. Even the hits are different now. I saw a HR to center field. I've never seen that in this game before I removed IE. Youklis hit it.

Try my sliders. They're called Zer0 sliders. You can find 'em here - http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?showtopic=37504 - I made them after I removed IE. They render some good games and you can adjust 'em as you feel. I consider them a good basis though.

It would also be interesting to see if pitcher throw their different pitches the same % of the time w/o the inside edge info to go off of.

The pitch type throwing % is in roster.iff file.

If a specific pitch type throwing % is set to zero, the pitcher won't throw that type of pitch in game.

It has nothing to do with the IE.

i'm not sure about that. if you lower ie influence slider in the game the pitcher will throw different pitches. for instance if a pitcher according to ie throws 68 percent fastballs and the rest is offspeed stuff, putting the ie influence at 100 will make that pitcher throw similar percentage of fastballs. but if you lower ie influence pitcher will throw a bigger variety of pitches. lowering ie to 50 made pitchers who throw 68% fastballs throw only 40% fastballs during the game... and hat is really weird couse both ie sliders are in batting section.

sorry for my bad grammar ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just played my first game with IE removed...there was a much better variety of pitch locations by the AI...he wasn't able to nibble the plate the whole time like usual...and I actually had 3 walks...I still think the AI is too aggressive at the plate but maybe the guys can tweak the walk ratings some more for roster v1.3

OAK 3 8 3

TEX 2 10 3

Increasing the walk ratings more would destroy the sim stats of the other teams in the league. But, if one were to just use that roster for played games, such as exhibition more or something ... or if someone was not concerned with the stats of the other teams ... that may work somewhat, likely not as well as intended though.

Still, that a decent amount of work for a modder.

You could always look at who your next oponent is and edit their pitcher's "control ratings" and see what kind of effect that has. I don't think editing batter stats more is going to do a whole lot.

The game is designed for lots of strikes and action, and I think there's only so much that can be done.

Increasing the walk ratings more would destroy the sim stats of the other teams in the league. But, if one were to just use that roster for played games, such as exhibition more or something ... or if someone was not concerned with the stats of the other teams ... that may work somewhat, likely not as well as intended though.

Still, that a decent amount of work for a modder.

You could always look at who your next oponent is and edit their pitcher's "control ratings" and see what kind of effect that has. I don't think editing batter stats more is going to do a whole lot.

The game is designed for lots of strikes and action, and I think there's only so much that can be done.

Good point about the sim stats...

Archived