2K10 Vs Mvp

roadranger

(EDIT: I see others beat me to it, but I'll leave it up anyway).

Hate to say it, but you are dead wrong here. Unless 2k stops making PC games, it will never be like MVP in this area. By the time anyone really figures out how to do anything about creating classic stadiums, and starts building classic mods, it'll be time for 2k11. Then, maybe the file structure is the same, so people just integrate the 2k10 stuff over to 2k11, but by the time anything of note comes out, it'll be time for 2k12. So on and so forth.

The ONLY reason MVP got as great as it did... Because they stopped making PC games.

Hey, this is a great point and I'd like to share a thought here from the NHL 04 community. I'm too much of a baseball ignoramus to comment which one is better... I enjoy both MVP and 2k10 a lot... both have their strong points. 2k10 looks incredible but MVP 2005 has an amazing genuine "spirit". Sometimes you can't even measure it, it's simply there or not. I have always sympathized MVP2005 because we run very similar community (just smaller) but just as passionate around NHL 2004. LINK.

But to the point... the biggest problem in sports games has always been that the modding community simply jumps to the newest game, no matter how bad it is. This happened with the NHL series... almost everyone agreed that NHL 05 was garbage. NHL 2004 was amazing (still is) and the exceptations were really high. NHL 05 was so big disappointment that most modders simply quit in disgust. I mean we had lots TONS of very talented modders when 2004 was new, who never came back. For some reason people had been brainwashed to think that you always have to mod and play the newest game. It's like the last years game didn't even exist anymore... like there was some unwritten rule somewhere... "hey, why would you play that old game?" I always answer "Well... because it's the best one."

I don't know where this "play it for a year and then throw it away" mentality came from... maybe from the earlier years when the NHL series really developed every year. After 04 they never made a hockey game for PC, which is even remotely as good as 2004. I mean not even close. But now NHL 2004 has surpassed NHL 09 (which is basically 05 in different package) in popularity. People have moved back to the best game. That old game literally raised from the ashes about a year ago.

I'm also a very hardcore soccer games fan, and what happened with PES series is almost identical. PES5 is arguably the most genuine presentation of the sport, and PES6 (which used the same engine) had some improvements, but also some downgrades. It's debatable which one is better. But then again, PES 2008 was absolute and utter garbage... almost everyone admitted it. 2009 wasn't much better. But the modding community went modding them like sheep. The best games (PES 5 & 6) were dropped like a bad habit. Maybe it was the eyecandy and new beautiful textures... I mean, who cares about the gameplay as long as it looks good. :(

But guess what... now PES6 is soon going to exceed PES 2010 in popularity AGAIN. It took years for people to come back to the old (best) game. When PES 2011 comes out, there will be similar "honeymoon". But whatever new development PES6 was going to receive, it's going to be halted temporarily again. I'm sure PES 2011 will look even more incredible than 2010, but at the end of the day it's the ai and longevity that matters.

I agree that "being stuck" with an old PC title is a blessing too, in many ways. This is why NHL 2004 rules the PC "hardcore gaming scene". It's been here for almost 7 years and it's now more popular than ever. There's nothing 2004 about it anymore, except the hardcoded stuff and basic game engine. We even cracked the camera system (and can alter the playing angle). Not to mention we have rewritten the whole frontend (by the way it'd be incredible if MVP2005 also had a html-based frontend).

I don't see why MVP 2005 should expire... or why people say that "it had its day but it's time to move on", etc. If so many people still thinks it's a great game I don't see it going away anytime soon. There are so many great mods for it.

I guess PC games are slowly going to get similar "classic game" status as the old Atari arcade games. There are still millions of people playing those old arcade hits with emulators and consoles. I don't see why MVP 2005, PES5, NHL 2004, F1 2002 and other best PC sports games wouldn't maintain their hardcore following...

At least you guys have a decent new baseball game for PC. You have an option which one to choose from. We hockey fans can only dream... ;)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apocalypse let me ask you a question. I only have NHL 2004 because I purchased it for the mod you guys made and I am very happy with that by the way. My question is what made NHL 2005 so bad?

Hey mate, check this video clip of PC version of NHL 09 (hardest difficulty, TBN ai mod, all the "best" sliders).

NHL 05-09 for PC is pretty much the same game.

I believe no further explanation is needed. ;)

Hey mate, check this video clip of PC version of NHL 09 (hardest difficulty, TBN ai mod, all the "best" sliders).

NHL 05-09 for PC is pretty much the same game.

I believe no further explanation is needed. ;)

Thank you. That is all I need to know. I'm glad I have 04. But it does make me wonder why they messed up such a good thing?

Thank you. That is all I need to know. I'm glad I have 04. But it does make me wonder why they messed up such a good thing?

Ironically, NHL 2004 development team went to produce NHL 2k5 (which many people still consider the best 2k hockey title). Graphics ain't that important, but that game is seriously outdated graphically now, it was current gen game and used really blocky models. I still play that sometimes though... 360 is capable of playing old Xbox titles. Great commentary, many amazing things in that old game...

EA hired brand new dev team for 05... they had to change almost all personnel and the result was horrible. Another thing that they did was to remove all "sim features" from NHL 2004 (the ones that HC fans still love) and wanted to move the game to more arcadeish direction... more like "NHL Hitz" with gigantic hits and all that... needless to say those changes killed most realism and genuine sim-style hockey from the game engine. Another huge downgrade was the console-like interface with no box scores, etc.

Why did they do it? I don't know... it was insane. If they just used the 2004 engine as a base and develop the game further, the series could have been SO amazing.

"Bring fun back to hockey" was the NHL 05 motto. LOL. Apparently fun meant "arcade" for them.

Archived