2K10 Vs Mvp

roadranger

i'm completely new to the 2k sports series and haven't purchased the 2k10 baseball - yet, but i have some questions. i've been using mvp '05 with the mvp'08 mod and was wondering if the 2k10 is as editable as mvp, you can set up your lineups, franchises, and leagues like mvp, can edit players and teams like mvp, and can play cpu vs cpu like mvp. any help would be appreciated. i'm just debating whether i should stick with mvp and all of the great mods for it or try the 2k10. if 2k10 is more of a thumb-jockey arcade-type game with limited editing capabilities, then i'll probably stick to mvp. the 2k10 website doesn't go into a lot of detail explanations of the game

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MVP has had a very long and active life, due to the many skilled modders to keep it as fresh as possible.

On the other hand, I personally am not at all disappointed in 2k10...

2k10 has some definite plusses but does not appear to be as "moddable" (my word) which could limit appeal to some. I still have MVP on my h/d but now 100% of my baseball simulation time is with 2k10 (PC version).

You can create players, edit players names and abilities...Adjust sliders to meet you specific skills (or lack thereof)...Play a franchise...Play mano to mano or user vs. CPU or CPU to CPU...Just some of the examples.

For $29.95 I think it is well worth the price.

MVP has had a very long and active life, due to the many skilled modders to keep it as fresh as possible.

On the other hand, I personally am not at all disappointed in 2k10...

2k10 has some definite plusses but does not appear to be as "moddable" (my word) which could limit appeal to some. I still have MVP on my h/d but now 100% of my baseball simulation time is with 2k10 (PC version).

You can create players, edit players names and abilities...Adjust sliders to meet you specific skills (or lack thereof)...Play a franchise...Play mano to mano or user vs. CPU or CPU to CPU...Just some of the examples.

For $29.95 I think it is well worth the price.

is the editing you mentioned in the game itself or is there another editor? i really like the mvpedit for mvp. i didn't see any editors in the 2k9 or 2k10 downloads section

is the editing you mentioned in the game itself or is there another editor? i really like the mvpedit for mvp. i didn't see any editors in the 2k9 or 2k10 downloads section

Roadranger...

BTW, I like your handle. In my working days, my wife referred to me as Captain Expressway. I use to correct every evil on the roads and looking back, I think I'm lucky top be alive but was looked up to by many (wife excluded).

Anyway...to answer your question.

Editing is built into the program...You are right, MVPEdit was a great mod that allowed gamers to change many attributes.

For the record, I'm not a modder. Just a player.

With 2k10, you can do all that and maybe more... You can go into team rosters ( not just your team) and change names, create players, change skills, batting stance/pitching motion...Increase/ decrease power...success rate...running/bunting skills...pitching assortment...pitch speed...pitch movement, etc. It really is not too dissimilar to MVPEdit.

Myself?...I'm having a ball with this simulation but you probably should hear from others that aren't quite as happy...We all have our likes and dislikes and what may be important to one, another person may not even care.

Just put me down as one who is enjoying 2k10...Although not perfect, a vast improvement from 2k9. On a 1 (lowest) to 10 (highest), I give it 8.0 to 8.5.

i've been reading reviews on this game from 3 or 4 different sites and all of them say this game is really buggy. i haven't looked to see if 2k10 has put out a recent patch that addresses these issues and i didn't see a date on the reviews to see how old they are.

I have both and gonna stick with MVP 2005.

Here is my in-depth review of the two.

GRAPHICS (PLAYERS): MVP 7.5 MLB 7.0 Too many faces not good in 2K10.

GRAPHICS (STADIUMS): MVP 9.0 MLB 6.5 Stadiums in 2K10 not as good as MVP plus crowd graphics in 2K10 are HORRIBLE.

SOUNDS: MVP 8.5 MLB 8.5 Very close between the two.

GAMEPLAY: MVP 9.0 MLB 7.5 Other than MY PLAYER 2K10 basically BLOWS only a 1 yr. Franchise mode ARE YOU FN KIDDING ME?

GAME MODES: MVP 9.5 MLB 6.5 MLB Very disappointing in my opinion.

With MVP game modes galore and also an actual Franchise Mode with more than one year.

OVERALL: MVP 8.75 MLB 7.25

GONNA play My Player on 360 2K10 and everything else on MVP for at least one more year.

thanks. i really appreciate the review. i've always liked mvp05 and the modders do such a super job. i just thought 2k10 might be just as good, but you, along with a lot of other reviewers, don't think 2k10 is up to par with mvp, so i'll stick to mvp until somebody comes out with a better game. i really hate the fact that these companies like ea sports, the show, etc, cater to the console users and treat us pc'ers like they don't appreciate the money we shell out for their games every year. i am a big college football and college basketball fan, but these companies, like ea sports, refuse to put out the college games in PC mode and we have to wait for the modders of nbalive and madden to come out with college mods.

I've been playing 2k10 for the last 3 weeks and to be honest I am looking fwd to the opening day rosters for MVP. As sweet as 2K10 looks, there are soooo many bugs, lousy AI, just an overall unrealistic feel. I will probably be going back to MVP once the season starts and give up the eye candy for a more realistic baseball game. If someone could only mix the eye candy of 2K10/The Show with the brains/engine of MVP ( preferably High Heat )any discussions would be about how great the game is. Let's hope that happens in the future

Roadranger,

I'd stick with MVP. I've played 2K9 (abomination) and 2K10 (better, but not all that impressed - it reminds me of The Bigs), and even after 5 years, MVP 05 is head-and-shoulders above the pack. Granted, I've modded the crap out of 2005 thanks to EAMods/MVPMods, so everything is more or less updated to how it is now. The gameplay is just so much better though. Obviously there's bugs/kinks in 2005, but even with it, it's just so much better. 2K doesn't have a lasting appeal to me, whether it's MLB, NBA, NHL, etc. Just not a fan of the 2K series.

The MVP modders are supposedly working on a MVP 10 mod - if that fails, it'll be just a roster update with (hopefully) a ratings adjustment done. You're better off biting your tongue until Opening Day.

With all my love for 05, I recently got a PS3 and am downloading a demo for The Show 10. If it turns out to be as good as I hear it is, I might make the full time jump, even though I've been a PC gamer since I was a wee lad. If you MUST avoid MVP, I'd go with The Show. There's stuff that's stupid, like "power swing" ala MLB 2002 for PS1 and stuff, but other than that, I've heard a lot of good things. All that said, I'd rather play sports games on my PC and platformers/shooters/adventure/action on a console.

Wow!...I'm lonely...Seems as though I'm the only one here that is having a ball with 2k10.

Maybe I would feel differently if I played on-line or spent my time with My Player but I just try to replicate the season including Spring Training and am having absolutely no problems playing this game. Granted I have made quite a few slider adjustments to make the sim more realistic but that is what sliders are for.

I have been a faithful and loyal MVPer for over 5 years and I do appreciate all the efforts to make MVP as flawless as possible but I am now really enjoying the playability that 2k10 provides for the PC. The game is not flawless but the problems that do exist really are, IMO, nothing more than minor inconveniences....Yes, the cameras have to be reset everytime you enter the game...Yes, throwing arms are much too strong...Yes, stealing is much more difficult than it should be but I have found by using player editing and making slider adjustments, most problems are correctable. Unfortunately, haven't figured out how to create more errors though.

I'm certainly not trying to change anyone's mind, for we all have our likes and dislikes, but I'm just surprised others don't seem to find this simulation as enjoyable as I do.

I do, however, wish the game was more moddable. There are many enhancements that can be made if the program wasn't so difficult to break into...That is what made MVP so playable and certainly would help 2k10.

But after reading what others have to say about this game, I now have a complex.....Damn!

tks,

Like you, I also like this game. Sure it has it's problems, but it does play a fun game of baseball. I play both on my player and franchise modes. I think we all got spoiled the past 5 years with MVP and how flawless the mods made the game feel. I like to think of MLB 2k10 much like MVP 2004. A good game, but with flaws. So, tks, you are not alone.

2k10 blows MVP away in every aspect except tools for moding

Audio, Graphics, Gameplay it is not even close

People just hate change

People did not want to move from Triple Play to High Heat but they finally did

People did not want to move from High Heat to MVP Baseball but they finally did

People do not want to move from MVP Baseball to MVP 2k10 but they finally will

MVP Baseball is a 5 year old game and it shows, it is at deaths door, It is time to put it out of its misery

Only thing MVP has going for it is its great classic baseball mods, which in time will also be coming to MLB 2k10

People just hate change

People did not want to move from Triple Play to High Heat but they finally did

People did not want to move from High Heat to MVP Baseball but they finally did

MVP Baseball is a 5 year old game and it shows, it is at deaths door, It is time to put it out of its misery

Only thing MVP has going for it is its great classic baseball mods, which in time will also be coming to MLB 2k10

I couldn't have said it better myself. MVP had its day, but it has passed. I really like 2K10, mass improvement over 2K9. My only complaint is the limit on editing players.

Roadranger,

With all my love for 05, I recently got a PS3 and am downloading a demo for The Show 10. If it turns out to be as good as I hear it is, I might make the full time jump, even though I've been a PC gamer since I was a wee lad. If you MUST avoid MVP, I'd go with The Show. There's stuff that's stupid, like "power swing" ala MLB 2002 for PS1 and stuff, but other than that, I've heard a lot of good things.

As a brand new Show player (first year with my PS3), I LOVE it. Might be the best baseball game I have ever played. Make a few tweaks with your sliders (it's a must), but once you do, it is great. I was a big fan of High Heat, and I set up the game to hit and pitch much like High Heat. Maybe that's why I like it so much. It's an amazing looking version of that, with better ball physics, and game play.

Don't worry about the power swing. I rarely use it, and still hit a nice sum of Home Runs. Just with the power swing, and good timing, you just hit more majestic shots.

As a brand new Show player (first year with my PS3), I LOVE it. Might be the best baseball game I have ever played. Make a few tweaks with your sliders (it's a must), but once you do, it is great. I was a big fan of High Heat, and I set up the game to hit and pitch much like High Heat. Maybe that's why I like it so much. It's an amazing looking version of that, with better ball physics, and game play.

Don't worry about the power swing. I rarely use it, and still hit a nice sum of Home Runs. Just with the power swing, and good timing, you just hit more majestic shots.

That's all well and good about The Show, but it's not available on PC, so we have to decide between MVP05 (updated) or MLB2K10. I've heard impressive things about The Show, wish it were available on PC.

Wow, that's just f'in wow.. gameplay and audio, really ?? The AI in MLB 2K games is comical and so are the sounds.

People just hate change

I moved on from MVP Baseball, but it sure as hell wasn't for MLB 2K. It was for The Show.. and 5 years old or not, MVP is still a better representation of major league baseball than MLB 2K is.

Wow, that's just f'in wow.. gameplay and audio, really ?? The AI in MLB 2K games is comical and so are the sounds.

I moved on from MVP Baseball, but it sure as hell wasn't for MLB 2K. It was for The Show.. and 5 years old or not, MVP is still a better representation of major league baseball than MLB 2K is.

You talk about gameplay and then mention The Show? The Show is one of the worse baseball games I've every played, I can score 100 runs every game in The Show. That is bad AI and gameplay

Unfortunately this is beginning to remind me of arguments we had during grade school days.... "My daddy can beat your daddy."

What I don't like to see is one person making fun or putting down another's opinion....We all have our favorites and just because one expresses a different opinion doesn't mean he is wrong.

I happen to totally agree with Kraw....

However I felt I must be missing something about MVP, since many opinions expressed here feel MVP is by far a better game than 2k10...I have gone back and played a few more MVP games to see for myself and I still maintain 2k10 is fresher and more up to date with graphics and audio. I disagree about MVP being better but that doesn't mean I'm going to chastise another person's view.

MVP has been a wonderful game, primarily due to all the mods that have been implimented over the years but even the most loyal MVPer has to admit it is becoming a victum of age.

Will 2k10 have any lasting power beyond this year?....Who knows but for now, I am enjoying the time I spend playing this simulation.....It works just fine for me.

No matter who likes what....What I really want are companies that will continue to provide baseball simulations for loyal PC players.

I don't think MLB 2K will ever see the same level of classic mods that we have on MVP. The reason why? We had a 4 year window where there was no other choice for PC gamers.

With other games before MVP 2005 (Triple Play, High Heat, MVP03, MVP04), modders spent the first few months cracking file formats or developing tools (e.g. DangerZ's High Heat roster editor, RGlass' MVPEdit, Fuzz' uniform editor, your Installer Thingy's, etc.) and then had about a 9 month window of mod development before everyone moved onto the new version of the game or new game altogether.

With MVP05, we were "stuck" with the same game for 4 years, which allowed the modding community to grow and allowed them to collectively pump out a lot of mods. This 4 year period also allowed the modders to hone their skills and produce some pretty impressive results. MLB2K9 and MLB2K10 only have a fraction of the number of modders that MVP had at its height.

I'm not making an argument of which game is better, just saying that no game will ever see the same number of mods that MVP had.

I don't think MLB 2K will ever see the same level of classic mods that we have on MVP. The reason why? We had a 4 year window where there was no other choice for PC gamers.

With other games before MVP 2005 (Triple Play, High Heat, MVP03, MVP04), modders spent the first few months cracking file formats or developing tools (e.g. DangerZ's High Heat roster editor, RGlass' MVPEdit, Fuzz' uniform editor, your Installer Thingy's, etc.) and then had about a 9 month window of mod development before everyone moved onto the new version of the game or new game altogether.

With MVP05, we were "stuck" with the same game for 4 years, which allowed the modding community to grow and allowed them to collectively pump out a lot of mods. This 4 year period also allowed the modders to hone their skills and produce some pretty impressive results. MLB2K9 and MLB2K10 only have a fraction of the number of modders that MVP had at its height.

I'm not making an argument of which game is better, just saying that no game will ever see the same number of mods that MVP had.

I see your point

MLB2k10 has about the same amount of modders MVP 2004 had going into April of 2004, no one would touch MVP 2003 sorta like MLB 2k9. MVP 2004 slowly ramped up for a year and then MVP 2005 came out the modders exploded in population

Just like with 2003 & 2004 where you could convert the mods to work with 2005, a lot of 2k9 mods can be converted to work with 2k10. If 2k does not change that the mods can just carry over.

I personally think it'll be a long time before any baseball game will have what the modders have done with MVP. Sure 2k10 has the pretty graphics, the "My Player" mode and better commentary, but it doesn't touch MVP in terms of the range of mods available and the fun that can be had with it. After all, how many games have dedicated mods ranging from 1927 to 2009?

You talk about gameplay and then mention The Show? The Show is one of the worse baseball games I've every played, I can score 100 runs every game in The Show. That is bad AI and gameplay

You're exaggerating so much it's making you seem stupid. 100 runs every game ? The Show is one of the worst baseball games you've ever played ? LOL, yea OK ( I actually did laugh out loud ). There's no point for any logical person to discuss this topic with you. You're being completely ridiculous.

MLB 2K is one of the worst baseball games ever created. That isn't just my opinion. That is a general consensus among people who love and understand the game of baseball. There's nothin' to argue about. MLB The Show has been the better representation of major league baseball since 2008.

Archived