Last Year For Mlb 2K?

Crites

I was checking out some of the forums about 2K Sports. Seems this may be the last year for MLB2K. 2K Sports isn't renewing their license with MLB to make the game. That freaking figures. I finally find a game that is as good as or better than MVP2005/2008 and they stop making it. :angry:

http://www.operationsports.com/news/458824/take-two-interactive-suggests-mlb-exclusivity-may-end-when-2012-deal-expires/?page=3

The only possible good news is if EA Sports picks up the lcense. But I wouldn't bet on that either. If they do, it would most likely only be for X-Box and Playstation. Doubtful they would kake it for the PC.

honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if baseball games (on the PC, at least) go the way of Madden and NHL on the PC. Buh-bye.

Color me very disappointed if that happens. I'm already "mad" that hockey isn't on the PC anymore, and Madden and NCAA Football and Hoops would be a pleasant surprise if they came back.

There's just not enough money to be made selling game on the PC. Madden, NBA-Live, NHL, were all discontinued for the PC. You can't even go to your neighborhood Best Buy and physically purchase the game anymore, you have to order it online. The consoles dominate the market. It's all about the $$ unfortunately. :sad:

If they really don't do another version next year (personally, I think they might -- I doubt that any of the companies will sign an exclusive with MLB), I hope they are at least kind enough to issue a patch for the new league alignment/schedule format that starts in 2013.

If they really don't do another version next year (personally, I think they might -- I doubt that any of the companies will sign an exclusive with MLB), I hope they are at least kind enough to issue a patch for the new league alignment/schedule format that starts in 2013.

This never has nor will ever happen. Once a team is done, they are done. They might release a few console patches and MAYBE a pc patch (but don't count on it this year) but once they're through with that they will no longer support the game. Plus this all shouldn't come as a surprise. We've known for years already that 2K loses money on the license and have been hinting at not renewing it. Too bad, maybe if they put more resources into developing a better graphics engine and better game overall they wouldn't be losing so much money! But 2K has always had a "derp" factor.

This never has nor will ever happen. Once a team is done, they are done. They might release a few console patches and MAYBE a pc patch (but don't count on it this year) but once they're through with that they will no longer support the game. Plus this all shouldn't come as a surprise. We've known for years already that 2K loses money on the license and have been hinting at not renewing it. Too bad, maybe if they put more resources into developing a better graphics engine and better game overall they wouldn't be losing so much money! But 2K has always had a "derp" factor.

So do you think that if MLB doesn't get an exclusive licensing arrangement, nobody will make a baseball game (other than MLB The Show)?

What's amazing is MVP 2005 is still alive and being worked on. Granted, the ball parks are dated, but people are still producing updated rosters and faces and even uniforms. As long as I can get updated rosters, etc for MLB 2K12, I really won't mind much if they discontinue producing new releases of the game. From what I have heard from others, MLB 2K12 wasn't exactly a revolutionary change from 2K11. I mean when 2K sports has to feature new audio tracks as a new feature, you gotta know things are pretty much the same.

As to the console games...I'll pass on ALL of them. I been burned too many times when they "upgrade" to a new game system that is incompatible with the old ones.

2K12 will be the last PC baseball game

That's practically a guarantee. I'm willing to bet the only reason we have a PC version now is because 2K is contractually obligated. Even if a new agreement is made (with any company), the PC isn't a viable income source compared to what it was when the first agreement was signed. No company now would sign on to a new agreement which locked them into a PC version

RIP

K

2K12 will be the last PC baseball game That's practically a guarantee. I'm willing to bet the only reason we have a PC version now is because 2K is contractually obligated. Even if a new agreement is made (with any company), the PC isn't a viable income source compared to what it was when the first agreement was signed. No company now would sign on to a new agreement which locked them into a PC version RIP K

Sadly, I am afraid you are probably right regarding PC baseball going extinct. However, 2K didn't do a PC version until 2K9.. Was there an obligation?

I broke down and bought an XBox 360 so i could play Madden this year. It's OK, but not great. I thought, let me try a few other games. What a waste of money. I'm done with consoles,,,,they suck, unless you like death and destruction first person psycho nutjob Columbine shooter games. It's sad to see this is the last PC baseball game with graphics. If OOTP could only make a graphic engine to go with it's outstanding sim engine...

After playing 2K12 and MVP05/08, I can't see how a console game can be superior in baseball subjects. And Sony is into what...their THIRD incarnation of the Playstation? And from what I read The Show is NOT compatible with PS2. Checking the negative reviews of The Show on Amazon, the most common compaint is Sony made it WAY too hard to hit the ball, and online play is boring because nobody gets any hits. Every game ends up being a one run affair. Plus it costs $60 and the cost of a PS3 ($230-$250). No thanks.

First of all, the show is one of the most advanced sports games I have ever played, despite it's limitations on console. In fact it be one of the most beautiful looking console games ever. But you're right, if the show were put out on PC it would like infinitley better mostly because the PC has more RAM for higher res textures and has more advanced AA/AF/FXAA.

Secondly, why are talking about compatibility? Since when has a playstation 3 game worked on a playstation 2. Or since when has a xbox 360 game worked on an xbox? That is an absurd assumption that the newer system be compatible with the older one? huh? Either way, they used to release a port of the show on PS2, but it just wasn't selling because, big surprise, everyone bought it on PS3.

Thirdly, the idea that the game is "too hard" is absurd as well. There's many different slider tweaks you can make and hundreds of different game options. Analog hitting too hard? Try classic one button with zone. Don't like using the zone? Try just pure classic one button. Same with pitching.

The only thing crites got right is cost. $60 for a game is pricey and then the system to play it on is pricey as well. But that's actually one of sony's best sellers; A PS3 bundled with the Show. But when I think about console prices I remember the 1K I spent on my PC....but let's complain some more about console prices :crazy:

My point about The Show not being compatible with previous incarantions of Playstation is the fact ALL consoles have compatibility issues and "built-in obsolescence". That's HOW console manufacturers make money. ;) I am playing computer games that were used back when Windows 95 was first introduced. MVP 2005 is SEVEN years old and still going strong.

I simply reported on the negative feedback that was received on Amazon.com. I don't know what skill level users of the Playstation 3 were or if they even read the instructions.

As to PC costs, I am using two USED PCs and a third one I built myself. I don't think I have 1K in ALL THREE of them. And they all play these baseball games just fine. :D

Edited by Crites

I've long assumed this is the last PC major league baseball game that will be released on the PC - unless, there is a PC sports renaissance (which did happen once already if you think about it (I thought MVP 2005 and before that High Heat would be the last PC baseball games created). I'm hoping that the game gets one patch which fixes most problems and we can mod it forever.

Edited by cody8200

I've long assumed this is the last PC major league baseball game that will be released on the PC - unless, there is a PC sports renaissance (which did happen once already if you think about it (I thought MVP 2005 and before that High Heat would be the last PC baseball games created). I'm hoping that the game gets one patch which fixes most problems and we can mod it forever.

2K12 is essentially a year long 2K11 patch... that didn't patch much. Any additional patches might fix a few major bugs (zombie double switch, quick warm up time, etc) but the way the game plays now is pretty much what you should expect it to be "forever"

K

2K12 is essentially a year long 2K11 patch... that didn't patch much. Any additional patches might fix a few major bugs (zombie double switch, quick warm up time, etc) but the way the game plays now is pretty much what you should expect it to be "forever"

Not too bad then. It's pretty enjoyable IMO.

Not too bad then. It's pretty enjoyable IMO.

I like it too. I am famously easy to please, but as long as there are no "game breakers" (i.e., 2007 when you couldn't advance to the post season if your team played it's last game on the east coast), I'm usually satisfied. That being said, I can probably list 20 "nice to have" things off the top of my head that the game needs, doubtful that many of them would be too difficult if the dev team wasn't working on a project that is a perennial money loser and with limited dev cycels. But, it is what it is. The mods here ehnace this thing like crazy, so thankful for them.

honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if baseball games (on the PC, at least) go the way of Madden and NHL on the PC. Buh-bye.

Color me very disappointed if that happens. I'm already "mad" that hockey isn't on the PC anymore, and Madden and NCAA Football and Hoops would be a pleasant surprise if they came back.

Hockey is very much on PC... but it's NHL04 Rebuilt 2012.

It's old like MVP2005 and it has its flaws, but probably still the best, overall.

Check it out.

http://z15.invisionfree.com/NHL04Rebuilt/index.php?showtopic=1

Well if the MLB 2K series it dead, it'll become abandon ware. That's when gaming software gets really good, the community takes over then. Look at MVP2005.

Really, all I need is a roster update every year and I'd be happy. As has been stated, MVP 05 is still being modded today. But the graphics aren't anywhere near 2K12, and new stadiums like the new Yankee stadium are still missing. Interest is shrinking in MVP 05 and that's why I moved to 2K12. Much of MVP 05 is pretty open to mods. We can't even change in-game music in 2K12, and unless someone comes up with a program that can read the music, it will remain the same...hideous. MVP 05 had and has a huge following because it was well done and readily available. People are still hunting around for 2K12 in computer and game stores and AREN'T finding it. I got mine from Amazon. Like it or not (and I DON'T!), games are moving to the console. And you can't really mod console games. So 2K12 may pass into oblivion very quickly after this year.

Edited by Crites