How to organize MLB team names from A-Z in team select menus?

KingKelly

So, basically I now have the Miami Marlins and the Los Angeles Angels (of Anaheim).

But Miami appears where Florida is and Los Angeles appears where Anaheim is in the team select menus.

Obviously I want Miami and Los Angeles (or whatever they will be) located where "M" and "L" are in the team select menus.

Any insight as to where the file(s) to edit are located? Has anyone done this already? And what tools should I use?

Thanks.

I see the MVP15 update has not addressed this issue. Ballfour updated the LOC files for 2017 and placed the Astros in the American League.

Maybe he knows something about how this could be accomplished. I sent him a PM and I'll post here when I get a response.

You can essentially name anything you want to in the LOC files.  It's basically just a text editor and won't affect location of any text in the game.  Changing teams to different divisions is simply a single digit code within one of the .dat files (which one escapes me now, probably team.dat).  One of the team dat files is probably where this could be accomplished, but it's not directly evident.  It's probably something to do with the long string related to the team.  The question is how many teams would you have to change just to get rid of this minor annoyance.

The MVP 15 TC mod didn't address this because no one felt the need to change anything .... it's just not that big of a deal.

5 hours ago, KingKelly said:

I see the MVP15 update has not addressed this issue. Ballfour updated the LOC files for 2017 and placed the Astros in the American League.

Maybe he knows something about how this could be accomplished. I sent him a PM and I'll post here when I get a response.

Hey there! I haven't seen a message yet, but I'm afraid that it's not possible to do this. As Gordo suggested, it's hard coded into the game, so there's nothing we can do to change the order. For example, in my MVP 1998 mod, I switched the Astros and Dodgers just so that both teams would have names on back. I was able to correct everything except for the team name list because of the hard coding issue. So I don't think it's possible unless you know how to hack the .exe file.

You can do this...but I never did because it would be a TON of work. You'd have to change the LOC files, reorganize team IDs, probably rebuild divisions, likely screw up the hardcoding with the jersey files... It just wasn't worth it.

My apologies BallFour - That PM never got finished and I just decided not to and dig around through the MVP files instead.

Yeah. I've been digging through the files with different tools and editors and found 5 that were team related that looked interesting.

Org.dat, team.dat, stadium.csv (unpacked from progress.big) and the 2 .LOC files.

Just a side note:

I have an intesting program I used to hack .dll files in Pillars of Eternity.

It's called dnSpy: https://github.com/0xd4d/dnSpy/releases.

A debugger/assembly editor that decompiles and recompiles "on the fly".

I recommend this to any modder. I'll upload a copy here. It's free of course.

Archived