MLB hands down unprecedented penalties for Astros

Kccitystar

Clevinger makes very good points. 
With all that has come out, how can Houston and Boston even have those WS banners up? What kind of an example is that? «We cheated and got away with it» ?

Now it's buzzers too? Seriously, is there any rule that they didn't break?! I'm afraid to ask what's next.

CC is no longer active but he spoke out too:

https://nypost.com/2020/01/17/cc-sabathia-keeps-getting-angrier-over-astros-cheating-dont-give-a-f-k/

Jack McDowell also throwing sh*t in the fan:
http://bronxpinstripes.com/yankees-news-and-rumors/ex-yankees-pitcher-mcdowell-accuses-larussa-of-cheating/?fbclid=IwAR0H-XvDhnoTPTMnjjuWfpM12kQXySd_oT4KT6MQ5HQJDq8SVakH3chxhw8

Pedro the idiot comes down hard on Mike Fiers. LINK.

Pedro Martinez Calls Mike Fiers 'Bad Teammate' for Handling of Astros Scandal

hi-res-185246705e5c56d9fd31244596c1be63_crop_north.thumb.jpg.98934bb810d8e92c0002edf86a6e6df3.jpg

Hall of Fame pitcher Pedro Martinez is the latest to speak against Oakland Athletics pitcher Mike Fiers, who sparked an MLB investigation by telling The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich in November that the Houston Astros illegally stole opponents' signs during their 2017 World Series run.

"If he was to do it when he was playing for the Houston Astros, I would say Mike Fiers has guts," Martinez told WEEI Radio at the Boston Red Sox's Winter Weekend. "But to go and do it after you leave the Houston Astros because they don't have you anymore, that doesn't show me anything. You're just a bad teammate."

The former Red Sox ace and three-time Cy Young Award winner didn't stop there:

"If you tell me that Mike Fiers is coming to my team and you already threw your team under the bus, the team that you used to play for … Now everybody knows you are going to have a whistle-blower in any other situation too. Whatever happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse and Fiers broke the rules. I agree with cleaning up the game. I agree that the fact that the Commissioner is taking a hard hand on this, but at the same time players should not be the one dropping the whistle-blower."

Martinez is not alone in disagreeing with how Fiers went about revealing Houston's cheating. ESPN's Jessica Mendoza didn't like that Fiers chose to go public with the information.

Fiers pitched for the Astros from 2015 to 2017.

MLB released official findings from its investigation Jan. 13. The Astros were found to have used a center field camera to alert batters of specific incoming pitches. MLB suspended Houston manager AJ Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow for the 2020 season without pay before the Astros fired them both.

Red Sox manager Alex Cora, who served as the Astros' bench coach in 2017, and New York Mets manager Carlos Beltran, an Astros player that year, both parted ways with their respective teams as well. Beltran only held the Mets job for two months.

The Astros were not stripped of their 2017 World Series title.

Pedro:

"If he was to do it when he was playing for the Houston Astros, I would say Mike Fiers has guts,"

Also Pedro:

"Whatever happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse, and Fiers broke the rules."

I am 97mph tailing fastball levels of sure if Pedro was still playing and he found out somebody was stealing his signs, he'd have been one of the first in line being pissed off

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 6:55 PM, Yankee4Life said:

I am still impatiently waiting for MLB to announce their fines against the Red Sox. Or did they just decide to move on to something else ?

While we wait, Trevor Bauer drafted a really nice piece on The Player's Tribune.

I’m O.K. with stealing signs. I really am. It’s been part of the game for a long time. But where do you draw the line? That’s the real question, to me.

And I think baseball had to draw the line here. Why is what the Astros were doing different (or worse) than anything that had happened before? It’s because of the technology. They were using cameras focused on catchers to relay signs to hitters in real time — like instantly. And the issue is really the rate at which you can get the signs to the hitter. If you’re breaking me down after the game and I am dumb enough to use the same sequence of signs every single game, that’s on me.

But if you can adjust in real time, what am I supposed to do? How do I compete against that as a pitcher? We might as well just tell batters what pitch is coming and see what happens. Any technology that allows you to relay the catcher’s signs before the pitch is thrown? It should be banned.

Link

• 2 months later...

A follow up to this as of today (subscription required):

https://theathletic.com/1766135/2020/04/22/mlb-report-pins-red-sox-violations-on-staffer-issues-suspension-takes-draft-pick/

Major League Baseball’s ruling on the Boston Red Sox’s illegal sign stealing in 2018 determined the primary culprit was not the front office, manager Alex Cora or the players, but the team’s video replay system operator.

The league, in findings that will be released Wednesday afternoon, suspended the operator, J.T. Watkins, and docked the Red Sox a second-round pick in the 2020 draft. It also suspended Cora through the conclusion of the 2020 postseason, but only for his conduct as Astros bench coach in 2017, not as Red Sox manager in ’18, when the team won 108 games and the World Series.

Following a January report from The Athletic on the Red Sox’s conduct, Commissioner Rob Manfred found that Watkins, on at least some occasions during the 2018 regular season, illegally utilized game feeds in the replay room to help players during games — an undertaking less egregious than the Astros’ famed 2017 sign-stealing scheme.

I don't get Pedro...this isn't about Fiers to begin with. A team cheated their way to the WS! The flipped side of the coin is that without Fiers, their cheating could still be unknown they could still be doing it. Personally, I think letting them keep the title is letting them get away with it.

As for Boston, MLB makes no sense. They cheated but none of the players or Cora knew they were cheating? The "video guy" was doing it all without the manager or players even knowing? How does that even work? 

I have a bridge to sell that investigative committee...

1. A team cheats their way to a world champ, boning every other contender in the process and MLB completely misses it.

2. When MLB finds out, they let the guilty franchise KEEP the title!

3. After an investigation into an additional team accused of doing the same thing, and managed by one of the guilty parties on the previous team, MLB comes back and say it was always just the "video guy".  WTH?

Pedro should be pissed at MLB, imo.

5 hours ago, ming said:

I don't get Pedro...this isn't about Fiers to begin with. A team cheated their way to the WS! The flipped side of the coin is that without Fiers, their cheating could still be unknown they could still be doing it. Personally, I think letting them keep the title is letting them get away with it.

As for Boston, MLB makes no sense. They cheated but none of the players or Cora knew they were cheating? The "video guy" was doing it all without the manager or players even knowing? How does that even work? 

I have a bridge to sell that investigative committee...

1. A team cheats their way to a world champ, boning every other contender in the process and MLB completely misses it.

2. When MLB finds out, they let the guilty franchise KEEP the title!

3. After an investigation into an additional team accused of doing the same thing, and managed by one of the guilty parties on the previous team, MLB comes back and say it was always just the "video guy".  WTH?

Pedro should be pissed at MLB, imo.

Agree 100%

Archived