MLB hands down unprecedented penalties for Astros

Kccitystar

According to The Athletic (subscription required):

In the most dramatic ruling of his five-year tenure, baseball commissioner Rob Manfred came down hard on the Astros Monday for illegally stealing signs during their World Series championship season in 2017.

The unprecedented penalties are Manfred’s response to the damage the Astros inflicted on the sport’s integrity, and should serve as a powerful deterrent to any team that engages in such conduct in the future.

The penalties, according to sources with knowledge of Manfred’s decision, include:

• A one-year suspension for general manager Jeff Luhnow.

• A one-year suspension for manager A.J. Hinch.

• The forfeitures of first- and second-round draft picks in both 2020 and ’21.

• A fine of $5 million, the maximum allowed under MLB’s constitution.

• The placement of former Astros assistant GM Brandon Taubman on baseball’s ineligible list.

As a Yankees fan, the penalties are laughable.

Here is MLB's report if you have some time to read.

Discuss.

So a common question that gets asked is, why aren't the players disciplined?

From Manfred himself:

I will not assess discipline against individual Astros players. I made the decision in September 2017 that I would hold a Club’s General Manager and Field Manager accountable for misconduct of this kind, and I will not depart from that decision. Assessing discipline of players for this type of conduct is both difficult and impractical. It is difficult because virtually all of the Astros’ players had some involvement or knowledge of the scheme, and I am not in a position based on the investigative record to determine with any degree of certainty every player who should be held accountable, or their relative degree of culpability. It is impractical given the large number of players involved, and the fact that many of those players now play for other Clubs.

But more importantly, the Club’s General Manager and Field Manager are responsible for ensuring that the players both understand the rules and adhere to them. Our office issues a substantial number of detailed rules and procedures to Clubs – many of which, including the sign stealing rules, are not sent directly to players. It is the obligation of the Club, and, in this case, the General Manager and Field Manager, to educate and instruct their players on the rules governing play on the field. Here, because the Club’s Bench Coach was an active participant in the scheme, and the Club’s Manager was aware of the scheme and did nothing to stop it, I recognize that some players may have understood that their conduct was not only condoned by the Club, but encouraged by it. This was misconduct committed by the team, and with the exception of the individuals whom I will hold personally accountable, my disciplinary action will be directed at the team.

While everything that Manfred said about the difficulties in punishing players is quite true, the one thing he didn't say is how the MLBPA would react if he did punish players involved in this cheating scandal. The players and the union would just argue and fight bitterly against the league that not all of the Astros players were aware about what was going on, or that they were somehow forced to cheat by the manager and coaches.

4 hours ago, scottybilly said:

After reading the commissioners report, I find it rather shocking that the Astros continued to cheat even after they were warned by the commissioners office.

Not me. They had the attitude of "the rules apply to everyone but me."

5 hours ago, scottybilly said:

Astros owner just fired the GM and manager. Hopefully the Astros just disappear from contention so my Oakland A's can become division winners and win at least one world series title.

I hope so too and I also hope they have a run like the Pirates had some years ago when they went twenty years or so without making the post season.

Let's see how good their record is at home this year without the cheating going on.

4 hours ago, bctrackboi11 said:

I'm just here to be the obligatory Reds fan reminding y'all that Pete Rose is still banned for life.

This has nothing to do with Rose so let him keep on being banned until the end of time. Rose admitted to betting on the game and admitted to lying about it. Reds fans never seem to grasp that fact.

Here are some articles from the Houston Chronicle you may want to read and have a chuckle at.

Jeff Luhnow: I am not a cheater

Hinch apologizes

Biggest bombshells from MLB report

Once Astros' face and voice, A.J. Hinch's inaction leads to ouster

Well, I suppose you all know how embarrassed and furious I am with this what has happened

I have followed The astros for 16 years and I can tell you how embarrassed not only as a baseball lover but also as a fan of this team because I celebrated that World Series title against the Dodgers.

The punishment from part of the MLB is fine for me and even they get to find more evidence I would not have any problem with more punishment that they add

There is a lot of 'it was the players, it wasn't me' going around. 

How much power do players really have? I agree that the union would cause a lot of trouble if they went after the players.
The front office and the manager didn't put a stop to it because it was clearly working. They can't claim they barely knew about it, which seems to be what they're doing. Good for Astros management to fire them, there really wasn't any other choice.

Now let them go after Cora. I didn't like the guy BEFORE he was with the Red Sox. I'm also surprised to read that Beltran was one of the driving forces behind this, for some reason I thought the guy was honest.

9 minutes ago, sabugo said:

There is a lot of 'it was the players, it wasn't me' going around. 

How much power do players really have? I agree that the union would cause a lot of trouble if they went after the players.
The front office and the manager didn't put a stop to it because it was clearly working. They can't claim they barely knew about it, which seems to be what they're doing. Good for Astros management to fire them, there really wasn't any other choice.

Now let them go after Cora. I didn't like the guy BEFORE he was with the Red Sox. I'm also surprised to read that Beltran was one of the driving forces behind this, for some reason I thought the guy was honest.

Beltran's only input since he was a player looks like it only went as far as how to improve this "system" that Alex Cora was working on and had set in motion months before

On 1/13/2020 at 3:11 PM, Kccitystar said:

According to The Athletic (subscription required):

As a Yankees fan, the penalties are laughable.

Here is MLB's report if you have some time to read.

Discuss.

As a person pulling for the Dodgers in the last couple of WS, against the Astros and Red Sox with Cora, it's beyond laughable. It's plain old 100% USDA certified BS.

At least LA put up some runs in those games, but "timely clutch hitting" by the Astros and Sox bested them....lol. The punishment should include they're having to give their opponents the pitch in all road games for 2-3 years.

13 minutes ago, ming said:

As a person pulling for the Dodgers in the last couple of WS, against the Astros and Red Sox with Cora, it's beyond laughable. It's plain old 100% USDA certified BS.

At least LA put up some runs in those games, but "timely clutch hitting" by the Astros and Sox bested them....lol.

I got to agree with you there.

What a week for the game. Not thrilled about it, just bummed out.

In the span of a week we have had 4 people fired, counting Carlos Beltran.

"We met with Carlos last night and again this morning and agreed to mutually part ways," Mets COO Jeff Wilpon and general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said in a statement Thursday. "This was not an easy decision. Considering the circumstances, it became clear to all parties that it was not in anyone's best interest for Carlos to move forward as Manager of the New York Mets.

I am definitely wondering what Cora's penalty will be outside of being dismissed by the Sox earlier this week

2 hours ago, scottybilly said:

Watch him get a lifetime ban. He was caught cheating for 2 different teams that won consecutive world series championships. He wasn't a player, he was in a place of authority as the bench coach for the Astros in 2017, then the freakin manager for the Red Sox in 2018.

He can sit next to Pete Rose during the Hall of Fame weekend ceremonies and charge for his autograph.

1 hour ago, scottybilly said:

I love his "grill" LOL Seriously, I hope more players speak out. and why has MLB dismissed this new buzzer scandal? There are close-up picks/videos of multiple Astros players wearing these damn things!

I believe its a retainer

Archived