Where can I find the game in 2020?

BostonTom

Hey!

I had this game 15 years ago, and it was unbelievable.  I've stumbled upon your website, and I'm curious is there ANYWHERE to legally download the game, or purchase the game CD's?  

I'm sure it's a long shot at this point. But just wanted to check.

Thank you

1 hour ago, BostonTom said:

Hey!

I had this game 15 years ago, and it was unbelievable.  I've stumbled upon your website, and I'm curious is there ANYWHERE to legally download the game, or purchase the game CD's?  

I'm sure it's a long shot at this point. But just wanted to check.

Thank you

No, you can't legally download this game and EA doesn't sell it anymore. Try Amazon and eBay but as I said in the shoutbox be prepared to pay a lot for the game.

By the way, please read this rule that you agreed to when you joined here. Thank you.

Discussions and requests for illegal downloads (via admission or open discussion) or making them available to other posters is explicitly prohibited. This content includes (but is not limited to):

CD Keys (MLB 2K or MVP Baseball or otherwise) & Serial Numbers

No-CD cracks

Warez

Original Game Files

Hi,

This has been talked about a fair amount in many threads, and I'm assuming it's because baseball season is normally around this time of year.

The original game was never downloadable from EA, as it was a disc based title.

Downloadable versions of full games weren't really a thing until Steam expanded their platform service some time later after the game was released.

The game can still be purchased from third party vendors, however:

• The price may be fairly steep because the game is out of print 
  • The game is not compatible with Windows 10 due to the security measures being removed from the OS itself that was meant to work with the security check that comes with the game.

9 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

The original game was never downloadable from EA, as it was a disc based title.

I always wondered about that. I know it wasn't downloadable when it was first released but after that? I mean why not? They could have made more money.

10 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

I always wondered about that. I know it wasn't downloadable when it was first released but after that? I mean why not? They could have made more money.

EA will, 9.9 out of 10 times be where there is money to be made. At the time when MVP came out in 2005, Steam wasn't a thing and digital distribution was a risky business that wasn't looking like something worth investing in. It didn't take off until later in the year (2005, 2006?) when Valve as a company started negotiating with third parties to feature games on their marketplace. I'm sure Valve would have wanted to land EA as the big fish publisher on their platform, but I'm fairly certain their asking price was way too high.

Right now, EA's bread and butter with all of their sports titles is Ultimate Teams which is a major cash cow.

It's why I'm probably one of the few contrarians that don't want MVP to come back given how EA develops games now.

Well, that makes sense now that it's explained to me. And when you think about it I have to agree with you. EA hasn't impressed me in years. Even with Madden, a game every football fan plays basically because there's nothing else out there, is really nothing but a new roster and some unneeded bells and whistles. I mean I don't want to unlock stuff. I want to play the game. If EA made Mvp again they'd have us unlock certain pitches that a guy throws or some nonsense like that.

By the way, what the heck is Ultimate Teams?

2 minutes ago, Jim825 said:

Whatever it is, it is probably better than Regular Teams or Just OK Teams.  I mean it has to be -- it has "Ultimate" in its name!  :lol:

It's teams, but ultimate 😂

33 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

By the way, what the heck is Ultimate Teams?

Welp, luckily I got time to explain in detail and rant a bit:

Ultimate Teams is EA's idea of gambling, but with sports games.

It started with Madden 10.  Up until this point, Madden had two constant game modes: Franchise mode, where you take control over an entire NFL team, and Superstar mode, where you took control over a single player.

Ultimate Team was a new mode where you built an NFL team by collecting virtual "trading cards" within a fantasy universe. Basically, in a nutshell, you can build a team with any players you wanted from NFL history. It was a pretty awesome concept inspired by All-Pro Football 2K8, where they had tiers of players you can build a team from. Given how successful this game mode was, EA decided to monetize it by selling card packs. You can buy card packs with *real* money and if you had the means, you can essentially pay to win in later titles. The game mode eventually became SO big that it overshadowed sales of the games themselves and started to make its way to other sports titles, like FIFA.

A lot of fans correlate the dip in quality of EA's sports titles with the ascension of the Ultimate Teams mode as a lot of their standalone game modes that would give the game some actual depth were cut/retooled in favor of tying in Ultimate Teams into those game modes, year after year. Since EA made a significant amount of revenue from Ultimate Teams, fans are firm in their belief that EA has no intention of putting out a competent product that can sell on its own merits when they can just monetize those in-depth modes or pivot the modes to lean you into buying card packs and micro-transactions. This is a big issue with people susceptible to gambling and even children. It's the combination of building your team and the element of surprise from what you get in the card packs that lure people in.

Once they took this feature online, that opened the floodgates. What people don't get is that Ultimate Teams is extremely predatory, especially with underage children. It doesn't exist to celebrate NFL history, or to provide anybody with a good time, it's a cash grab. I cannot truly imagine how they would slice and dice a future MVP Baseball title in favor of pushing Ultimate Team. EA takes an extremely long time to learn lessons, and personally as a community that continues to keep playing MVP 05 a full fifteen years later, we should expect better.

Diamond Dynasty from the MLB The Show series is like this in function only. DD still encourages you to play baseball and there is an extremely well done rewards system that doesn't push the idea that you have to spend money more than what you already paid for the game. Theoretically, you can buy a team full of MLB stars, but there are a lot of things that Sony San Diego has built into the game mode to keep that from being a productive goal or even an encouraged goal.

4 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

....Ultimate Team was a new mode where you built an NFL team by collecting virtual "trading cards" within a fantasy universe. Basically, in a nutshell, you can build a team with any players you wanted from NFL history. It was a pretty awesome concept inspired by All-Pro Football 2K8, where they had tiers of players you can build a team from. Given how successful this game mode was, EA decided to monetize it by selling card packs. You can buy card packs with *real* money and if you had the means, you can essentially pay to win in later titles....

Thank you for the explanation of what this is. So if I follow this right you can buy your way to win games just because you have the extra money to buy these card packs? It doesn't seem the best way to have kids play a video game but what do I know?

Can you imagine them doing this with a new version of Mvp? Having people go out and try to get a Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig card just to win a game? No thanks.

13 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

Thank you for the explanation of what this is. So if I follow this right you can buy your way to win games just because you have the extra money to buy these card packs? It doesn't seem the best way to have kids play a video game but what do I know?

Can you imagine them doing this with a new version of Mvp? Having people go out and try to get a Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig card just to win a game? No thanks.

The idea is that the game's design and features lead you into buying card packs even though it will not tell you explicitly that you will get a high rated card, but there is a chance that there MIGHT be one, like Willy Wonka's golden ticket.

At least with MLB The Show, while it utilizes this type of game mechanic, the teams you build in Diamond Dynasty are made up of both real-life baseball stars and randomized "Dynasty players". This is different compared to EA's Ultimate Team feature mode which is just all existing talent. Since it's such a game-within-a-game, it's hard to explain the big differences or go into detail about them. I think they've had video/interviews online that talk about the changes to Diamond Dynasty every year. Of all the games that have utilized this type of mode/mechanic, Sony San Diego is the only studio that seems to balance out making it fun and not making it feel exploitative.

3 minutes ago, sabugo said:

But can you still enjoy the game without using all that Ultimate crap?

I actually had fun assembling a nice little team in The Show and I never bought or felt forced to buy anything.

I avoid all this in every sports game by only playing full-control, straight up season or franchise modes. Building fantasy teams is just of no interest to me.

9 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

I avoid all this in every sports game by only playing full-control, straight up season or franchise modes. Building fantasy teams is just of no interest to me.

I think in The Show was the only time I ever did it. I'm with you on the season and franchise modes. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived