Any suggestions on desktop pc's that would work good for MVP?

alanlev

My old desktop that I used to play MVP on pooped out a few years back.  I am looking to buy a new desktop gaming pc to play mvp.  The computer I had before was a windows vista Dell XPS 410 I think it was.  It was their cheaper option for gaming computers back around 06/07 when I bought it.  

I am having a hard time knowing what to look for, as someone on here told me that MVP will not work on Windows 10 which makes it hard because all new gaming pc's come with windows 10.

I am wondering if anyone can advise me on which computer's I should maybe look for, and where to buy them.  I'm thinking Windows Vista would be the best operating system for this game.  I dont know a lot about computers, like graphic cards and what it all means for this game.

Is there any way to play MVP 2005 on Windows 10?   Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to just get a good enough computer to enjoy playing this game again without having to spend any more money than is necessary for mvp.

Thanks, Alan

MVP2005 does not require much for a PC.  After all, the game came out 15 years ago.  The game performed best on Windows XP and worked fine on Windows 7, but after that, you started having issues.  While a handful have gotten it to work on Windows 10, most have not.

6 hours ago, Jim825 said:

MVP2005 does not require much for a PC.  After all, the game came out 15 years ago.  The game performed best on Windows XP and worked fine on Windows 7, but after that, you started having issues.  While a handful have gotten it to work on Windows 10, most have not.

And Microsoft no longer supports XP or Win 7.  That's a problem.

7 minutes ago, LouisvilleLipp said:

That’s true but if you use this computer for gaming then you should be ok. For example, if you do not use it for banking and of course if you use it for banking  or ordering stuff online you should be sure to have a good internet security program to stand behind.

6 minutes ago, LouisvilleLipp said:

I guess it all depends upon what he wants to do with the PC.  If all he wants to do is play MVP2005 on the PC and doesn't care about anything else it wouldn't be a problem.  For example, my company was giving away very old PCs a few years ago.  I took one, spent $75 for a motherboard and graphics card, installed Windows XP on it and have a perfect PC for MVP2005.  I don't connect to the Internet with it or use it for anything else.

7 hours ago, Jim825 said:

While a handful have gotten it to work on Windows 10, most have not.

I've gotten it to partially work, but owner mode is causing crashes and it's not reading my controller inputs properly. Your best bet is just to use a spare computer/dual boot with Windows XP.

41 minutes ago, alanlev said:

Thanks for all of the info!   Do you guys know why there could be really bad lag on an old pc?  Would that have something to do with the RAM, processor, or graphic card?   

What are the specs of the PC?

HP Compaq dc5800 Pentium 80GB HDD Desktop PC

Intel Pentium E5200 2.5GHz; 80GB SATA; 4GB DDR2

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

No Wireless; Bluetooth

Small Form Factor; SuperMulti-DVD Burner; Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

8 x USB 2.0, 1 x RJ-45, 2 x PS/2, 1 x PCI, 2 x PCI-E x1, 1 x PCI-E x16

5 hours ago, alanlev said:

HP Compaq dc5800 Pentium 80GB HDD Desktop PC

Intel Pentium E5200 2.5GHz; 80GB SATA; 4GB DDR2

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

No Wireless; Bluetooth

Small Form Factor; SuperMulti-DVD Burner; Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

8 x USB 2.0, 1 x RJ-45, 2 x PS/2, 1 x PCI, 2 x PCI-E x1, 1 x PCI-E x16

Seems to me you should be able to run the game fine with that.

I recommend going with a GTX 900 series graphics card. Last card series to my knowledge to have both xp and win10 driver support. Then do a dual boot setup. 32 bit and 64 bit and will play pretty much any older game or new you throw at it. Not sure how tech savvy you are but the best option in my opinion. I have one system setup to do this with one click restarting into either OS.

I am not super tech saavy.  Ive taught myself everything I know by researching online.  I havn't researched what a Dual boot setup; is.  Thank you for the info.  

@Yankees4Life.   -  Do you have any idea why I'm getting such bad delay / lag when I try to play?  WHen I'm hitting the response is so delayed when I press the button I literally can't hit the ball.  Its pretty frustrating

13 hours ago, alanlev said:

@Yankees4Life.   -  Do you have any idea why I'm getting such bad delay / lag when I try to play?  WHen I'm hitting the response is so delayed when I press the button I literally can't hit the ball.  Its pretty frustrating

I've been thinking about this and the only thing I can come up with is that you may be having a lot of programs running in the background because as I said you should not be having this lag with the machine that you have.

13 hours ago, alanlev said:

I am not super tech saavy.  Ive taught myself everything I know by researching online.  I havn't researched what a Dual boot setup; is.  Thank you for the info.  

A dual boot setup is one where you have two different operating systems (two versions of Windows, a version of Windows and a version of Linux, etc.) on your hard drive.  When the PC boots up, you select which one you want it to boot into.

As far as the lagging, your processor is powerful enough, and you have plenty of RAM, so my guess would be the integrated graphics chip, since it looks like you don't have a separate graphics card.

• 2 months later...

I'm also having problems with lag in the game itself starting and takes at least 40 seconds to start as far as showing the 00000000.256 file or introductory picture or whatever.  I never had any trouble so I was wondering if it could be my video card going bad.  I of course have Windows 7 64 bit with Intel Core I7, 32mb of RAM, 2mb of RAM on my ASUS (or AMD) HD7770 graphics card.

Yankee4Life...Do you have any idea what some of the abundance of extra background things running could be?  I'd like that to stay "fit-n-trim" as possible.  I just have my gamepad starting up at the beginning boot, but a number things going in the services area of both the configuration (when you type msconfig), and the task manager (ctrl, alt, del).  I would love to try to get rid of some stuff but I'm not sure what and if deleting it could cause the pc to go down.

I thank you guys as well!

Eskie01

Archived