The Return of the BSE.

Yankee4Life

Many years ago TyWiggins came out with a wonderful utility for Mvp Baseball 2005 called the Box Score Extractor. It was (and still is) a mod that is still used to this day by Mvp users. When I first started using it I had a thread here called The Beauty of the BSE where I would play exhibition games, take screenshots and then post the detailed box score when the game was completed. I also would try to post funny comments about the screenshots that I collected with the hope that others would see the humor too.

Well, that turned out to be a hit because that thread had eleven pages full of games and commentaries not only from myself but from other users also. 90% of the images were lost when Trues was considering closing down the site in 2010. I kept the thread up for a few more years after that but while my comments about the game image that I posted were still there, the screen shot associated with it was gone.

That particular thread is gone now but the spirit of it is and will be a big part of what this new one is about. Like the previous one the Boston Red Sox will be featured front and center but other teams will as well including the Yankees themselves time to time. With easy targets like Gary Sanchez and Giancarlo Stanton how could I resist?

The nice thing about that old thread was that not one Red Sox fan cried foul and they along with everyone else were in on the joke and after awhile I even had requests to play their team against a team they didn't like. I happily obliged.

Not all of these games will have the box score extractor. In fact a lot of them won't because a lot of times the BSE doesn't end up working for me. But I casn still play the games and hopefully they are as liked as they were when the original thread was around.

Look for the first game in the coming days with the 1986 Boston Red Sox going up against the 1970 Baltimore Orioles in a Total Classics Phase ten matchup.

945596348_Oriolesticket.jpeg.5f633b7d7448f293f8c5967d71d1f236.jpeg2081576200_86Sox.jpg.00583a0b8bf21a87808180bbe73c1ce3.jpg

The 1986 American League Champion Boston Red Sox vs. the 1970 World Champion Baltimore Orioles.

Using TC Phase 10 and played in Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.

Baltimore Orioles 5, Boston Red Sox 1

WP: Jim Palmer (9IP, 8 hits, 1 run, 0 walks and 8 strikeouts)

LP: Dennis Boyd (7IP, 12 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned, 0 walks, 3 strikeouts)

Play of the game: Paul Blair, who had a two run triple in the seventh inning to make the score 4 - 1 Baltimore. That effectively put the game out of reach.

Left fielder Don Buford went 4 for 4 with 1 RBI and scored two runs.

Screenshots

BSE1970Balt01.jpg

BSE1970Balt02.jpg

BSE1970Balt03.jpg

BSE1970Balt04.jpg

BSE1970Balt05.jpg

BSE1970Balt06.jpg

BSE1970Balt07.jpg

Hmm... a little nitpicky about the Red Sox '86 uniforms. The font numbers were actually just like the Yankees home numbers (the ones without the white border). The numbers currently being used are the 90s-early 2000s ones that match the home numbers. I can create a fix for it when I return from vacation. Below is how the back of the uniform should look:

image.thumb.png.3fe3efb44243c6c6daf00357fbe144a4.png

2 hours ago, BallFour said:

Hmm... a little nitpicky about the Red Sox '86 uniforms. The font numbers were actually just like the Yankees home numbers (the ones without the white border). The numbers currently being used are the 90s-early 2000s ones that match the home numbers. I can create a fix for it when I return from vacation. Below is how the back of the uniform should look:

I've known this for awhile since I play TC 10 a lot. I didn't create the uniform and I don't know who did.

The 1956 Cleveland Indians (2nd in the A.L.) vs the 1956 Boston Red Sox (4th in the A.L.)

Using TC 1956 and played in Fenway Park, Boston

Cleveland Indians 6, Boston Red Sox 0

WP: Early Wynn (8IP, 5 hits, 0 walks, 10 strikeouts)

LP: Tom Brewer (7 1/3 IP, 14 hits, 6 runs, 6 earned, 2 strikeouts)

Play of the game: Bobby Avila's 2-run triple in the 7th inning to make the score 5 - 0. Avila went 3 for 5 with 2 RBI and 2 runs scored.

Screenshots

BSE195601.jpg

Presenting your 1956 Boston Red Sox!! The Red Sox were the last team to integrate in baseball, and it would be another three years until they would have a black player on the team when Pumpsie Green joined the team in 1959. It's not a true statement that Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey didn't want to hire blacks under his employ because that was a completely erroneous and unethical thing to say. Yawkey hired many of them but they were all for janitorial or laundry-related positions.

BSE195602.jpg

BSE195603.jpg

BSE195604.jpg

BSE195605.jpg

BSE195606.jpg

BSE195607.jpg

BSE195608.jpg

BSE195609.jpg

The 1918 World Champion Boston Red Sox at the 1949 National League Champion Brooklyn Dodgers.

Using Total Classics Phase 10 and played in Ebbetts Field, Brooklyn.

Brooklyn Dodgers 5, Boston Red Sox 0

WP: Don Newcombe (9 IP, 4 his, 0 walks, 6 strikeouts)

LP: Babe Ruth (6 1/3 IP, 15 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned 0 strikeouts)

Play of the game: Carl Furillo (3 for 5) with a bases-clearing double in the fifth that put the game basically out of reach.

Screenshots

BSE1949Bkn01.jpg

BSE1949Bkn02.jpg

Note: I am aware that this is what the Dodgers were not wearing in 1949. I am using what in included in the mod. Simple as that.

BSE1949Bkn03.jpg

BSE1949Bkn04.jpg

2007 New York Yankees vs the 2007 Boston Red Sox

Using the Mvp 2007 mod and played in Fenway Park, Boston

New York Yankees 4, Boston Red Sox 3 (10 innings)

WP: Mariano Rivera

LP: Jonathan Paplebon

Play of the game: Jorge Posada's two-run single in the 8th inning to tie the score at 3 - 3 and Alex Rodriguez's RBI single in the 10th that gave the Yankees the lead.

The Hit Parade:  Jorge Posada, Jason Giambi, Hideki Matsui and Robinson Cano each had three hits apiece.

But first, well, here's this. The story of three men.

Boston. Just the mentioning of that word makes people start to laugh. But, as any proud New Englander will tell you, there is a lot of history there. And you know something? That's true. Boston's part during the times before and during the American Revolution is well documented and it is something that they all can be proud of.

But the fact is since then, they've had nothing to brag about.

Which reminds me of a little joke.

Seems that three men were on their way to heaven and were approaching the Pearly Gates where St. Peter was waiting for them. St. Peter wanted to know from each one of them why they thought they should be allowed in.

The first man told St. Peter that his name was Kurt and that when he was a young man he was in the Luftwaffe for his country, Germany, during the second World War. After the war was over he went to medical school and for the rest of his life helped the sick and the poor, many times for no charge. St. Peter knew this to be true so he let him pass.

The second man told St. Peter that he was nothing like that. He said he was in trouble with the law most of his life and when he was in his thirties, he accidentally killed a man and said he actually got away with it because the police got the wrong man and that man was going to serve the time. But he went on to say his conscience got the best of him and he confessed to the crime so the other man could be free. St. Peter again knew this to be true and because of his selfless act of looking out for another human being, the second man was allowed to pass.

The third man now went up to St. Peter and began to talk. "Hello St. Peter, I'm from Boston where I have lived my whole...

"Go to hell," replied St. Peter.

And now the screenshots

BSE2007Bos01.jpg

BSE2007Bos02.jpg

BSE2007Bos03.jpg

BSE2007Bos04.jpg

BSE2007Bos05.jpg

The 1967 American League Champion Boston Red Sox vs. the 1967 Minnesota Twins (2nd place)

Using the 1967 Total Classics mod and playing in Metropolitan Stadium, Bloomington, Minnesota

Minnesota Twins 5, Boston Red Sox 0

WP: Dean Chance (9IP, 5 hits, 9 K, 0 walks)

LP: Jim Lonborg (7 IP, 14 hitsd, 5 runs, 0 k, 0 walks)

Hitting Stars: Cesar Tovar (3 for 3) and Harmon Killebrew (3 for 4)

Play of the game: Tony Oliva's two run single in the bottom of the seventh inning that put the game out of reach. You can view the video right here (file is in .mp4 format.)

Screenshots

BSE196701.jpg

BSE196702.jpg

BSE196703.jpg

BSE196704.jpg

The 1975 World Champion Cincinnati Reds vs. the 1989 Eastern Division Champion Chicago Cubs

Using the Total Classics Phase 10 mod and playing in Wrigley Field, Chicago Illinois.

Chicago Cubs 6, Cincinnati Reds 1

WP: Greg Maddux (8 IP, 3 hits, 1 run (unearned) 11 strikeouts)

LP:  Gary Nolan (7 IP, 9 hits, 3 runs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout)

Hitting Star: Ryne Sandberg, who went 3 for 4 and who hit a tie breaking solo home run in the sixth inning as you can see right here (file is in .mp4 format.)

Hit Parade: Andre Dawson, Vance Law and Joe Girardi all went 2 for 4

Screenshots

BSE198901.jpg

BSE198902.jpg

BSE198903.jpg

BSE198904.jpg

BSE198905.jpg

BSE1989006.jpg

The 1946 American League Champion Boston Red Sox vs. the 1946 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals

Using the Total Classics 1946 mod and playing in Sportsman's Park, St. Louis

St. Louis Cardinals 2, Boston Red Sox 0

WP: Howie Pollet (9 IP, 0 hits, 0 walks, 11 K)

LP: Boo Ferris (8 IP, 9 hits, 2 runs, 0 walks, 1 K)

Hitting Stars: Enos Slaughter (2 for 4) and Whitey Kurowski (2 for 3)

Howie Pollet pitched the game of his life as he faced the minimum twenty-seven batters as he no-hit the Red Sox 2 - 0. The only Boston hitter who reached base was Johnny Pesky who reached when shortstop Marty Marion made a high throw that pulled Stan Musial off the bag. Pollet immediately picked off Pesky who strayed too far off the bag. And that was that for the Red Sox in this game. Boston's Boo Ferris pitched well enough to win in any other game but not this one.

Videos

Stan Musial's fourth inning single (in .mp4 format)

Howie Pollet records the final out of his no-hitter (in .mp4 format)

Screenshots

BSE194601.jpg

BSE194602.jpg

BSE194603.jpg

BSE194604.jpg

The 1961 Boston Red Sox (6th in the American League) vs. the 1961 Detroit Tigers (2nd in the American League)

Using the Total Classics 1961 mod and playing in Tiger Stadium, Detroit.

This is actually the second version of TC 1961 with the Legends of the Booth and the Classic overlay added to it. This mod is one of the oldest Total Classics mod and it was created by Sandman. He's the guy who also has made some of the best throwback uniforms we have on the site.

Detroit Tigers 7, Boston Red Sox 0

WP: Frank Lary (9 IP, 4 hits, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts)

LP: Gene Conley (5 2/3 IP, 13 hits, 6 runs, 5 earned, 0 walks, 0 strikeouts)

Tigers with teeth: Bill Bruton (4 for 4, 3 runs scored and 1 RBI) and Dick McAuliffe (4 for 4, 1 run scored.)

Videos

Norm Cash singles in the second inning. (In .mp4 format)

Norm Cash shows you how three runners come in to score when he doesn't hit the ball out of the infield. (In .mp4 format.)

Screenshots

BSE196101.jpg

BSE196102.jpg

Beautiful Tiger Stadium in Detroit. It was one of the classic ball parks in all of baseball. Previously known as Navin Field and Briggs Stadium this place served Detroit fans well. It makes me wonder how many of them would love to have this place back in place of Comerica Park?

BSE196103.jpg

BSE196104.jpg

The 1941 Boston Red Sox (2nd place in the American League) at the New York Yankees (1st place in the American League)

Using the Total Classics 1941 mod and played in Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York.

New York Yankees 2, Boston Red Sox 0

WP: Red Ruffing (9 IP, 1 hit, 0 walks, 11 strikeouts)

LP: Lefty Grove (7 IP, 10 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, 0 strikeouts)

Notable notes: It almost happened again to the Red Sox but after Red Ruffing retired the first nineteen batters in a row right fielder Lou Finney lined a clean single into center field for the first hit for the Red Sox.  It was also the last hit because Ruffing retired the next seven hitters he faced to complete his one-hit shutout.

Bronx Bombers: Johnny Sturm (3 for 4) and Joe Dimaggio (2 for 4)

Video: Joe Dimaggio singles off of Lefty Grove. (In .mp4 format)

Screenshots

BSE194101.jpg

BSE194102.jpg

BSE194103.jpg

BSE194104.jpg

BSE194105.jpg

BSE194106.jpg

BSE194107.jpg

Archived