1987 Total Classics Mod Update

Savoy Special

Hello all, 

I wanted to provide a brief update on the 1987 Total Classics Mod I partially put together last fall. Over the past several weeks, I have successfully loaded over 300 cyberfaces into the game. They have been tested and they work. I have also put together a master cyberface list for this particular season. Almost all prominent players from 1987 and a large proportion of starting position players have faces. Those that don't have faces are primarily obscure middle relief pitchers and reserve position players. Some teams have as many as 16 to 19 of their 25 roster spots loaded with cyberfaces. My next step is to add audio for as many players as possible. I did want to let the community know that considerable progress has been made in making this a more functional Total Classics Mod. I have also learned more about uniform select screens, so I hope to clean those up as well before presenting a 2.0 of this mod hopefully sometime during the winter! 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Good morning everyone, 

I thought it might be a good time to provide an update on TC 1987, which I've been working on a lot over the past few months. 

Here are some of the recent highlights: 

---I have loaded about 500 or so faces into the game. Most players have unique faces at this point. I'm still working to get faces for everyone, but at this point it's a lot of obscure relief pitchers and backup players left. 

---Also this month, I fixed all the portraits so we can have correct audio. At this point, I'd say about 70-75 percent of the players in the game have correct audio (that has been properly tested in-game) to go along with their correct portrait. I'm working now to create original audio files for those players with unique names, and guys who played in 1987 but were not included in the audio for TC 1988 and 1984, which have been hugely helpful in getting audio for this TC mod. 

---The uniforms in the game are correct. However, if anyone in the community wanted to get really technical with me and create some 1987-specific team uniforms and stadiums, that would be awesome. When I say this, I'm mainly speaking of sleeve patches. For example, the 1987 Dodgers had a patch commemorating the 25th anniversary of Dodger Stadium, and the Royals (starting in July) had a "10" patch in honor of recently-deceased former manager Dick Howser. These are minor things that wouldn't necessarily affect the gameplay, but would help make the game even more year-specific than it already is. 

---I'm going to continue to knock out the remaining faces and audio in an effort to get the game fully updated. I've been testing all the way through, so I have a good feel that the faces, audio, etc. is working and the game doesn't crash. The only time the game crashes (on occasion) are when I try to play games at Braves Field and Park Labatt, both of which I incorporated into the stadium selections. Often times, if the game crashes on those stadiums, it will work the second or third time you try. Those stadiums are rather large files, but they will work, you just have to try a couple of times sometimes.

I have no idea when I'll be done, but I feel good enough about this version that if you wanted to post a 2.0 of TC 1987, I would be comfortable with that. Folks could help me with testing and figuring out any other things that need to be fixed before the final version is ready. 

Thanks for everyone's patience! I've taken on a pretty demanding new full-time job since I first started on this Mod in the fall of 2020, and I'm also still working part-time for my old employer. So I don't have a ton of free time, but I've been finding ways to make slow and steady progress on this mod. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm happy to share what I have. The challenge is downloading it to the site. It's a huge file and I didn't have much success initially, which is why Jim had to help out. I had to set up a temporary Dropbox file just to get the raw files to Jim, who then loaded it to this site. 

If anyone has suggestions on the best way to get the information processed, I'm happy to work with you to get a version 2.0 of 1987 TC Mod on here.

The game is not perfect, but it's SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 1987 TC Mod currently updated. This 2.0 version has loaded faces and about 80 percent of the player audio is correct. Give me some thoughts on the best way to get it loaded to the site - I'm all ears :)

5 hours ago, Savoy Special said:

I'm happy to share what I have. The challenge is downloading it to the site. It's a huge file and I didn't have much success initially, which is why Jim had to help out. I had to set up a temporary Dropbox file just to get the raw files to Jim, who then loaded it to this site. 

If anyone has suggestions on the best way to get the information processed, I'm happy to work with you to get a version 2.0 of 1987 TC Mod on here.

The game is not perfect, but it's SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 1987 TC Mod currently updated. This 2.0 version has loaded faces and about 80 percent of the player audio is correct. Give me some thoughts on the best way to get it loaded to the site - I'm all ears :)

Thanks thats great! I understand if your not currently finished, but even if its slighlty improved, id like to plug it into my game and get started on a season. Im really excited about this.

Archived