Game refusing to launch, with unique symptoms I haven't seen anywhere else

VelocityLP

Playing on windows 10. Installed, installed the 5 patches, followed multiple windows 10 fixes including the driver and enabling windows driver test mode etc. Here's the weird part: The game has worked a couple of times.

I've attempted to run it about 40 times in the last 2 hours. It worked on two of those times. After closing it and trying to reopen, it simply crashes ("has stopped working") at a black screen about a second or two after double clicking.

The second time it worked was about 20 minutes after the first success, and after about 10 more attempts.

About half of the time, it displays this error message after clicking "cancel" on the "stopped working" box (but before the black screen closes.) http://i.imgur.com/mftNj0l.png

Running as administrator and in compatability mode for XP SP3.

Sorry, there has been no one to give you an assist, site protocols are more important.  I'm assuming, you are playing MVP, maybe someone can help you with it.  I'm a MLB2K player.  Did you just upgrade to windows 10?  What system were you using before windows 10?   There is an option to revert back to your previous windows system, if you have had it installed let then 30 days.

Sorry, there has been no one to give you an assist, site protocols are more important.  I'm assuming, you are playing MVP, maybe someone can help you with it.

It's got nothing to do with site protocols and your not-so-subtle jab is not appreciated.  There is already a Windows 10 support thread that contains 184 posts in it.  All I was doing was pointing out that it is better to keep all the Windows 10 posts together rather than having them scattered about.

Here's the funny thing about the title of this thread.  I assume the OP read through the Window 10 thread, otherwise we would not have this title.  In that thread there really has been no definitive answer to rectify the problem.

So starting a new thread with an even harder, unique problem is going to secure an answer some how?

man....close this.

Here's the funny thing about the title of this thread.  I assume the OP read through the Window 10 thread, otherwise we would not have this title.  In that thread there really has been no definitive answer to rectify the problem.

So starting a new thread with an even harder, unique problem is going to secure an answer some how?

man....close this.

While you assume that this guy read through the already existing Windows thread here I have to assume that he did not. In fact I doubt if he even bothered to spend five seconds searching for any support thread that he thought could have helped him. I have NO PROBLEM believing this to be true at all even if this guy comes back and says oh yeah, I searched. Bull****

But I do agree with you that starting a new thread was not going to give him his support that he wanted. He just made this thread so his question would be seen by everyone and not get lost in an existing thread. That's what happened here. I call it laziness because that's what this is.

Reopened. Nobody has helped him out and his problem remains unsolved because it seems we're spending more time trying to figure out whether or not someone should have posted this in a support thread that most likely has solutions to common issues but not unique ones like this Visual C++ error, and labeling this guy a liar for not searching enough.

Man, do this:

Uninstall MVP 2005 and delete any of the remaining folders for that game in your computer.
Restart the PC.
After restarting, reinstall the game.
Install Patch 5. No, seriously, do this. This has the updated .exe as well as restructured rosters from the earlier patches.
After installing patch 5, find the 4GB patch tool.
Found it? Sweet, patch the .exe  to support a larger memory address (this may fix issues with mods crashing the game), and after that, I would attempt to install the latest total conversion mod piecemeal if possible and testing accordingly. I will emphasize to set up a backup folder of any mods that will replace current files.

Respond with your findings.

Reopened. Nobody has helped him out and his problem remains unsolved because it seems we're spending more time trying to figure out whether or not someone should have posted this in a support thread that most likely has solutions to common issues but not unique ones like this Visual C++ error, and labeling this guy a liar for not searching enough.

Man, do this:

Uninstall MVP 2005 and delete any of the remaining folders for that game in your computer.
Restart the PC.
After restarting, reinstall the game.
Install Patch 5. No, seriously, do this. This has the updated .exe as well as restructured rosters from the earlier patches.
After installing patch 5, find the 4GB patch tool.
Found it? Sweet, patch the .exe  to support a larger memory address (this may fix issues with mods crashing the game), and after that, I would attempt to install the latest total conversion mod piecemeal if possible and testing accordingly. I will emphasize to set up a backup folder of any mods that will replace current files.

Respond with your findings.

L4UygQK.jpg

Thank you to Kccitystar and  DaSteelerz for coming to this person's aid, I have limited knowledge but I was willing to try and help.  Finally, a common sense approach with some compassion.

That's not really fair now. All this guy was told was that it would have been better to have added his question to the Windows 10 support thread that was here already.  KC did come up with the answer for him and I am sure that it will work for this guy but I am kind of curious as to why you are thanking DaSteelerz? Exactly what did he do except lead a cheer for KC?

KC did a great job coming in here to straighten this out for that guy and I hope this person comes back in here to report that everything is working for him now.

Ok, now after I said that don't you think I deserve a thank you too ? :D;);)

How about we just move questions to where they're supposed to be instead of reinforcing that people can open a new thread, only to have it closed by an admin, but then it can be opened again.

My original point still stands.

Just thought about this just now to immediately pinpoint what the problem might be: What driver set are you using for your video card? Do you have any custom settings enforced for your games?

Some cards will cause games to bug out entirely if you have some custom settings that games DX9 or lower cant handle.

If it can't even render the startup, that's a problem.

Tried those instructions, unfortunately didn't work. However, this happened once:

http://i.imgur.com/IVyu4Cw.png

A loading screen! Progress! (I'm just still baffled however by the fact that the game succesfully launched two times of out about 50 tries last week)

I'm using the latest available main drivers for GTX 970.

Here are my graphic settings for it: http://i.imgur.com/MRVW9Wb.png

Edit: Event logs of the two events that occur when it crashes:

http://i.imgur.com/XKPOYk6.png

http://i.imgur.com/7rylPXe.png

Edited by VelocityLP

Tried those instructions, unfortunately didn't work. However, this happened once:

http://i.imgur.com/IVyu4Cw.png

A loading screen! Progress! (I'm just still baffled however by the fact that the game succesfully launched two times of out about 50 tries last week)

I'm using the latest available main drivers for GTX 970.

Here are my graphic settings for it: http://i.imgur.com/MRVW9Wb.png

Edit: Event logs of the two events that occur when it crashes:

http://i.imgur.com/XKPOYk6.png

http://i.imgur.com/7rylPXe.png

Are you getting this from a vanilla install? Strange.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, vanilla install, tried multiple different compatability mode packages.

Odd new observation: The game launches just fine when running windows in Safe Mode, however this isn't really viable as it disables a ton of peripherals and drivers I need to complete other tasks.