• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

#61 chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Rookie

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

could i get some updates from you guys what teams you have done ect. thanks.

Just finishing off a 3-day weekend with my wife, so I'll begin working on the NL Central in earnest again tomorrow. Brewers MLB team is fully done, the Reds MLB roster is done, but I have to edit their ratings and also re-direct Aroldis Chapman's portrait (for some reason its some white minor leaguer right now)

I still fully expect to be able to get the rosters and ratings done for all the NL Central teams, both MLB and minor leagues. If a player moves from the NL Central to another division after I have edited the ratings, I'll be sure to coordinate with my compatriots in order to same them the work of editing a player that I already finished.

~Chris

BTW ryan, is your MVPEdit still acting up, or would you like for me to keep the master file and have the members e-mail the team files to me?

#62 SESbb30

SESbb30

MVP

• Contributors +
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

yes, my mvpedit is still acting up for some reason, it will let me import/export players, export teams, but not import teams, could you send me the reds team to see if it still messes up?

#63 chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Rookie

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

yes, my mvpedit is still acting up for some reason, it will let me import/export players, export teams, but not import teams, could you send me the reds team to see if it still messes up?

okeedokee, first chance I get.

~Chris

#64 chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Rookie

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

I have to re-direct Aroldis Chapman's portrait (for some reason its some white minor leaguer right now)

I took a quick glance at this process, and I'm really not interested in doing this! If I have to, I have to, and I will. But if anyone knows of someone already editing/updating/fixing portraits, please speak up.

~Chris

#65 SESbb30

SESbb30

MVP

• Contributors +
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

I took a quick glance at this process, and I'm really not interested in doing this! If I have to, I have to, and I will. But if anyone knows of someone already editing/updating/fixing portraits, please speak up.

~Chris

EDIT: NVM, hes a white guy for me too lol.

#66 daflyboys

daflyboys

MVP

• Modders
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

iwe're doing everyone, all the way down to the last guy on the roster in A ball.

Hmmm...that's the first I'm hearing about that and I'm not real big on the minor league clubs, but moreso the 40 man rosters.... so I'm going to back away while it's the early going here so not to disrupt anything. But you guys are more than welcome to take the BSE I posted and use it for whatever you might find it useful for. Good luck.

#67 SESbb30

SESbb30

MVP

• Contributors +
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:43 PM

Just wondering what you got done daflyboys. because ill probably move on the the AL West after the AL Central.

#68 chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Rookie

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:16 AM

OK Ryan, I see you're posting your name on more and more divisions, but I DO hope we can get some other people to lighten the load for you.

Anyway, you may as well put me down for the NL West for now. If someone steps up to do it, great. Otherwise, I feel pretty confident about my ability to rate and edit those teams.

~Chris

#69 SESbb30

SESbb30

MVP

• Contributors +
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:36 AM

its not a problem at all lol, im going to try to finish the NL East tomorrow, and get started on the al central on Wednesday 8)

#70 daflyboys

daflyboys

MVP

• Modders
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:42 AM

I've mainly kept up with the moves until a few days ago (not that much to catch up on). I attached the MBE file a few posts up. I was starting to tweak the NL East. Any player not found in the roster had a season ending injury last year and I deleted him, but exported his file to add later if needed (e.g., Chipper Jones).

#71 Playball335

Playball335

Rookie

• Contributors +
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:04 AM

Hi Guys. I just started the other day and I must admit I have a few questions/concerns.

Without all of us using a "baseline" for generating ratings, I think the roster set will be out of balance. That being said, I'm not sure how to go about rating players, and I am no ratings guru. I figured we would be using the 2010 stats and the calculators to accomplish this.

I find it tough to rate players properly when I'm not sure what EA's baseline is. I mean, how is it possible that Kevin Youkilis has a speed of 73 and Big Papi 65!! There is also no way I could accurately rate minor leaguers.

Also, I'm not sure to what extent we are editing these teams. I have been updating the following.

1. Roster Composition
2. Uniform #'s
3. Verifying Birthdays
4. Contracts
5. Adding 2010 Stats
6. Lineups and Rotations (projected)

IMO, for this to work we all need to be on the same page.

Finally (for now), how are those that have completed teams composing the minor league rosters seeing as though they are still VERY incomplete?

#72 chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Rookie

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:58 AM

Very good questions Playball.

There is always major concern that the rosters will be out of wack, biased, or whatever. There are 4 ways which we keep from this happening: 1) we base much of our ratings on previous ratings, 2) we use calculators to help translate stats into ratings where we need the information, 3) we research and draw upon our own knowledge of the players, 4) we submit our rosters for playtesting by the community and edit them based upon the legitimacy of the feedback we receive.

Sure biases and other errors slip in, so its not a perfect system, but the end result will be well worth our efforts.

As to your other updates:

1. Roster Composition
2. Uniform #'s
3. Verifying Birthdays
4. Contracts
5. Adding 2010 Stats
6. Lineups and Rotations (projected)

Good for you! I have been doing the same, and it is good to hear that you are being thorough as well.

As to the minor leagues: We may actually have to work from the ground up on this one . . . If you check the minor league rosters (I posted the site a page or two back in this thread) most of the A/advanced A teams are already set. Granted, AA and AAA teams are far more incomplete, but I recommend doing as much as possible on the rosters and updating them as the end of Spring training gets closer. When we're about 1-2 weeks away from opening day, the minor league rosters should be formed enough that we can make educated guesses about how they'll wind up. For now, its imperative that we try and get all the ratings done for every player in MLB Spring training camps: every player that is attending those camps has at least a 10% chance of making the major leagues this year, regardless of where they are on opening day (low minor league team, free agent, traded to another team, etc.)

BTW, if you go to the "Rosters" area of any MLB team's website, there is a column on the right hand side listing all of the names currently active on their roster in Spring training (I think), and another area of their rosters includes a list of all the non-roster invitees in camp. These players too will have a meaningful home by opening day and should be rated by the modder taking charge of their current parent club.

A lot of work, but we're getting there, and we still have plenty of time.

~Chris

#73 Playball335

Playball335

Rookie

• Contributors +
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

I have been adding everything manually, to the best of my knowledge it is the only way. If anyone knows of any shortcuts, please share. :-)

#74 Jaxen

Jaxen

Rookie

• Contributors +
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

i appreciate you willingness to help, but this isnt for our personal use, this is for the community, we're doing everyone, all the way down to the last guy on the roster in A ball.

Here's why I'm hesitant to add many new Single-A players, or put in the '10 stats for players ... Last year, DylanBradbury's 2010 schedule only had the major-league schedule, so minor-league teams would not have played any games if you used it. While I hope this isn't taken as criticism of Dylan's hard work in putting that monster together, but part of the fun (for me) of playing MVP is managing all 4 rosters through seasons, through player's wearing down and working around their injuries, plus rewarding an excelling player up to the next level. So I used a 2009 roster to play the 2010 season, which didn't bother me because the only things different were some of the interleague opponents. I assumed that Dylan would do the same on the '11 schedule as the 2010 one.

And playing with the '09 schedule meant that stats were added to 2009 stats already put into the roster, which thus far (I'm still in July of the season) hasn't created any errors, I worry that the game adding stats to the 2009 number then finding 2010 numbers might create an unpredictable result.

#75 DylanBradbury

DylanBradbury

All-Star

• Contributors +
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

Here's why I'm hesitant to add many new Single-A players, or put in the '10 stats for players ... Last year, DylanBradbury's 2010 schedule only had the major-league schedule, so minor-league teams would not have played any games if you used it. While I hope this isn't taken as criticism of Dylan's hard work in putting that monster together, but part of the fun (for me) of playing MVP is managing all 4 rosters through seasons, through player's wearing down and working around their injuries, plus rewarding an excelling player up to the next level. So I used a 2009 roster to play the 2010 season, which didn't bother me because the only things different were some of the interleague opponents. I assumed that Dylan would do the same on the '11 schedule as the 2010 one.

And playing with the '09 schedule meant that stats were added to 2009 stats already put into the roster, which thus far (I'm still in July of the season) hasn't created any errors, I worry that the game adding stats to the 2009 number then finding 2010 numbers might create an unpredictable result.

My 2010 schedule just updated the Major League Schedule, it didn't delete any of the previous minor league schedules. (I think the game's default minor league schedules were included.) Hope that clears things up...

#76 SESbb30

SESbb30

MVP

• Contributors +
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

could i ask what teams you are doing jaxen? so we're all on the same page here.

#77 chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Rookie

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

Just finished rating the Reds. The Cardinals' rosters and ratings are next.

~Chris

#78 DylanBradbury

DylanBradbury

All-Star

• Contributors +
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:48 PM

BTW, be careful with Dylan's calculators . . . they have a tendency to over-rate a pitcher's movement on his throws, seemingly giving almost every pitch a "15" rating if a pitcher has a 3.00 ERA or lower. I usually temper this by making sure a dominant pitcher has at least one dominant pitch, and consulting scouting reports to figure out which pitche(s) ought to be rated this way. You can find that web-site here: http://60ft6in.com/

Further, Baseball-reference is probably the most convenient place to find fielding, pitching, and batting stats and splits. http://www.baseball-reference.com/

I figure most of you guys already know this, but I post in case you didn't.

~Chris

EDIT: There is also Cot's Baseball contracts for reference as to how each player is signed. If he is in his arbitration years, I usually tack on another year to his contract length and slightly more than double his total salary. For all other players, I average out the total contract money over the contract length.

Just saw this. I wish you had let me know about this bug earlier and in the Pitching Rating Calculator Support Topic, I would have fixed it by now. :(

Let me see what I can do.

#79 chrisgooverthere

chrisgooverthere

Rookie

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

Just saw this. I wish you had let me know about this bug earlier and in the Pitching Rating Calculator Support Topic, I would have fixed it by now. :(

Let me see what I can do.

Eh, its no big deal Dylan . . . after all, in the real world (and to a certain extent MVP '05 too) all a pitcher needs is one dominant pitch, so we the modders just need to be smart enough to do our research

~Chris

#80 TheSabathiaEra

TheSabathiaEra

Rookie

• Members
  • 611 posts
  • Interests:Sports, chillin, listening to music, and playing video games.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

Looks interesting so far keep it up fellas :drinks:

Edited by TheSabathiaEra, 22 February 2011 - 09:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users