The Return of the Big Red.......

Lual

Upcoming Series - 4 Games Home vs Houston Astros

Game 1: Houston Astros (41-36) @ Cincinnati Reds (29-48 )

Not Harang'ing' Around!

game79.jpg

Above: Harang pitches a complete game shutout, Right: Encarnacion comes up big for the Reds

Aaron Harang was an all round star for the Reds today, as he pitched a complete game shutout, striking out 6. Add to that he hit a triple in the 6th, which drove in 2 runs, as the Reds raced to a 5-0 win over the Astros.

The game hinged on the Reds big 6th inning, as they loaded the bases, for Encarnacion to empty with a double. Then 2 more got on base for Harang to drive home.

Houston had no answer to the Reds, as their lineup wilted against Harangs pitching performance.

Its a perfect way for the Reds to end June, as it extended their winning run to 3 games.

Reds Talk:

Harang: "Awesome feeling. Today i did as much as i could, complete game shutout, and a 2RBI triple"

Encarnacion: "Ive done my best to fill in for Joe, its up to the Skip whether i continue at 3rd when he returns"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Encarnacion - 2/4, 3RBI, 1 Double

Harang - 1/3, 2RBI, 1 Triple

Pitching:

Harang - 9I 7H 0R 0ER 0BB 6K 0HR 2.37ERA W(3-1)

Box:

R   H   E

HOU   0   7   1

CIN   5   6   0

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cincinnati Reds Review (End of June):

cinstatsjune.jpg

Minor League Breakdown:

AAA - Louisville Bats:

IL West - 39-42 3GB

Notables:

2B - Luis Lopez: .308Avg 5HR 33RBI

RF - Robert Stratton: .281Avg 15HR 35RBI

SP - Luke Hudson: 7-5(W/L) 3.08ERA 67K

AA - Chattanooga Lookouts:

SL East - 1st Half 29-41 15GB / 2nd Half 3-5 3.5GB

Notables:

SS - Ray Olmedo: .320Avg 8HR 30RBI

SP - Richie Gardner: 6-5(W/L) 3.18ERA 87K

A - Sarasota Reds:

FSL West - 1st Half 34-36 4GB / 2nd Half 7-3 1GB

Notables:

SS - Paul Janish: .302Avg 6HR 19RBI

RF - Travis Chapman: .354Avg 7HR 14RBI

2B - Bryan Anderson: .316Avg 6HR 31RBI

RP - Brian Rose: 5-2(W/L) 1.23ERA 91K

Great job, Great plot twists, great everything. Keep it up Lu'.

cheers mate - glad your still around to read :D

@ vinnycast

i knew you'd like it :p;) - as for going .500, ive got 16 games to make up, so it will be tough

Game 2: Houston Astros (41-37) @ Cincinnati Reds (30-48 )

Reds Romp Away!

game80.jpg

Above: Ryan Freel steps up in a rare start, Right: Griffey now has 20 jacks on the year

For the first time this season, the Reds have started a month with a win, and what a win.

The Reds romped all over the Astros, putting 17 hits on the board in a 10-5 win, to take their winning streak to 4 games.

Most of the damage was done in a crazy 4th inning, where the Reds put 6 runs on the board with 2 outs. The lineup went full circle, and included a 3 run dinger for Griffey, his 20th of the year.

Pitching wise, Claussen struggled, as he tossed 80 pitches through 4 innings before sitting down. Leaving Dominguez to collect the win, as the Bullpen made sure the game stayed in the Reds hands.

2 left for the Reds against the Astros, as Cincinnati will hope to get as close to .500 before the All-Star Break.

Some All-Star Game news, the Reds have no players in the Top 5 of any of the voting categories, and may be without a representative in Detroit this year.

Reds Talk:

Griffey: "We are getting closer, it will give you guys something to write about when it happens"

Graves: "Its obvious those fans dont know talent. I pretty much carried this team and all i get is boos, ill be glad to leave these jerks behind"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Lopez - 3/4, 2RBI, 1 Double

Freel - 3/5, 3RBI, 2 Double

Griffey - 2/5, 1HR, 4RBI, 1 Double

Randa - 3/4, 1 Double

Willingham - 2/4

Dunn - 1RBI

Pitching:

Claussen - 4I 5H 2R 2ER 3BB 3K 1HR 2.88ERA

Dominguez - 3I 6H 2R 2ER 0BB 3K 1HR 4.7ERA W(1-4)

Mercker - 1I 1H 1R 1ER 1BB 0K 0HR 4.87ERA

Graves - 1I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 2.57ERA

Box:

R   H   E

HOU   5  13   2

CIN  10  17   0

Lu'! It's all about the pitching! Get some pitching!!!! :p

im hoping to make some sort of deal before the Trade Deadline, its lucky i have a bit of bait to use

@go_bucs

thanks for checking in again mate, glad i can still entertain you :)

Game 3: Houston Astros (41-38 ) @ Cincinnati Reds (31-48 )

Astros Maul Robertson!

game81.jpg

Above: Randa hits a rare jack, Right: Robertson can barely believe his rotten display

Houston bashed around the Reds starter Jeriome Robertson, as they put 11 runs on the board within 3 innings, leaving the Reds winning streak in tatters.

The Astros forced the Reds starter to leave after just 2.2 innings, in their awesome display of offence. On the flipside, they held the Reds to a solo run, from a Randa tater.

A 3-Run 6th, didnt prove to be a catalyst for a Cincinnati comeback, as the Astros held on to take game 3 12-6 at a canter.

Biggio proved to be the main man for the Astros, going 4-4 with 1HR and 4RBIs, as Houston stay in the race for the NL Central.

Reds Talk:

Miley: "Jeriome had some real control problems out there today. We lost the game within 3 innings, which is not the way to play"

Robertson: "Welcome to the Bigs, not the start i was hoping for. We needed to continue our streak, but i blew that wide open"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Aurilia - 3/4, 2RBI

Freel - 2/5

Pena - 2/5

Randa - 1/3, 1HR, 1RBI

Griffey, Dunn & Kearns - 1RBI

Pitching:

Robertson - 2.2I 9H 11R 11ER 1BB 1K 2HR 5.28ERA L(1-3)

Kelly - 3.1I 3H 1R 1ER 2BB 3K 1HR 8.31ERA

Brazoban - 1.2I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 5.57ERA

Wagner - 1.1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 5.57ERA

Box:

R   H   E

HOU  12  12   0

CIN   6  10   1

Game 4: Houston Astros (42-38 ) @ Cincinnati Reds (31-49)

Deuce, Astros Split Series!

game82.jpg

Above: Dunn watches another dinger go long, Right: Pena is p*ssed, the Reds are 31-50 at the half

Houston split the series at 2-2, after another trouncing of the Reds with a 8-2 win, leaving Reds Starter Eric Milton bewildered, as his record has slumped to 8-7 from a promising 8-3.

The Reds had tied things at 2-2 in the 4th, thanks to a 2run shot from Adam Dunn. But that was the last piece of good news for the Reds, as the Astros put on a 6 run 5th, to race away to win 8-2.

Miltons lack of form is a real concern for the Reds, as he is looked upon as their main man to get wins at the top of the rotation. His poor form puts even more pressure on the 2-5 slots, as well as the sluggish Bullpen.

Cincinnati may have to shift some of their positional players to bring in help to their pitching staff, though with their season almost over in terms of competitiveness, will the Front Office allow any major move to be made.

Reds Talk:

Milton: "Its obviously a concern, ive just got to work hard and try to turn things around"

Kearns: "Im hoping to be moved before the All-Star break. Its not a nice way to end my time in Cincinnati"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Griffey - 2/3, 1 Double

Dunn - 1/4, 1HR, 2RBI

Casey - 2/4

Pitching:

Milton - 7I 11H 8R 8ER 1BB 6K 3HR 4.40ERA L(8-7)

Mercker - 2I 0H 0R 0ER 1BB 1K 0HR 4.64ERA

Box:

R   H   E

HOU   8  11   1

CIN   2   7   0

Graves is doing good. That's rare 8O . Good for you.

About pitching: Keep Harang and don't trade Graves(no value what-so-ever)

Cheers mate :)

As for Graves, my main concern is his $6,100,000 contract and the fact i will get nothing for him come the summer and free agency :(

Cheers mate :)

As for Graves, my main concern is his $6,100,000 contract and the fact i will get nothing for him come the summer and free agency :(

his $6 million contract and his age is the reason that computer don't want him. Trust me, I went as low as Ambiorix Burgos in my franchise. :cry:

The Cincinnati Reds Half Time Report:

With 81 games now in the books, and the Reds holding last place in the NL Central with a paltry 30-51 record, its time for all players to receive their Report Cards....

A:

You gotta be kidding me... a team 30-51, you cant expect anyone to get an A in this class.

B:

Ken Griffey Jr - .244Avg 20HR 54RBI .975Fielding Pct

Griffey is under alot of pressure this year to perform for the Reds after a few injury hit seasons. Fortunately he has stepped up on numerous occasions, producing 20 Homers in his chase for 600 and adding 54RBI to the Reds cause.

Junior still has alot to give the Reds, so is a prime candidate to become an A Grade player for the 2nd half of the year.

Willy Mo Pena - .295Avg 14HR 37RBI .989Fielding Pct

Willy was very close to becoming Top of the Class, as he put up expected yet unexpected numbers, after earning the starting slot in Right Field. The Reds will hope that Mo' can at least double his 1st half production, to shoot him into the limelight as the Reds true star.

Adam Dunn - .252Avg 21HR 55RBI .988Fielding Pct

Adam Dunn has continued to improve his reputation as a Power Hitter, as hes put up big numbers to contribute to the limited success the Reds have had.

Theres alot more to come from Adam, so Cincinnati will be making sure he earns the millions they have stumped up to keep him at the club.

B-:

Joe Randa - .299Avg 2HR 17RBI .987Fielding Pct

Joe has been consistent and thats all you can ask for from a veteran 3B. Theres not much power left in 'Pops' bat, but with a .341OBP the Reds can rely on him to make his AB count in the lower order.

Aaron Harang - 3-1(W/L) 2.37ERA 18K

Harang has recovered well from his early season injury which forced him to miss over 50 days of action. Since his return to the Reds rotation Aaron has won an impressive 3 games, with a 2.37ERA. He is potentially the Reds best prospect for the future within their pitching staff, so expect him to be relied upon heavily in the 2nd half.

C+:

Brandon Claussen - 6-4(W/L) 2.88ERA 28K

Brandon has been another unexpected surprise for the Reds, as he has earnt himself a consistent slot in the rotation this year. Claussen has struggled of late, but overall has shown he could become a regular starter for the Reds, and will be keen to impress in his remaining starts.

Danny Graves - 1-0(W/L) 2.57ERA 10K 12Sv

Barring his off-field antics, his lack of desire to play for the team, his attitude towards colleagues and fans, Danny has given the Reds some pretty solid performances.

Whether Mr Graves will see out the rest of this year with the Reds is another question, but should he stay, the Reds will be praying for similar stats.

C:

Jason LaRue - .272Avg 1HR 19RBI .996Fielding Pct

The Reds are foruntate enough to have 2 good catchers to choose from. LaRue started the season with a hot bat, putting up .300 numbers and giving the Reds some depth in their lineup.

Recently LaRue has failed to produce the same numbers, and although still decent, the Reds would of expected more than 1HR and 19RBIs from Jason.

Josh Willingham - .329Avg 6RBI .1000Fielding Pct

Willingham has been a key member of the Reds, offering vital cover in the Catchers role. Josh has put up good numbers for a backup player, but will need to up his RBI production to make him the Reds regular Catcher.

Ryan Freel - .333Avg 10RBI .977Fielding Pct

Another member of the Reds bench, Ryan has been a good performer for the Reds. He has stepped in to cover at both 2B and 3B, and has put up good numbers to boot. Ryan will expect to start more in the 2nd half of the year, as Jimenez has struggled to capture the form needed.

Eric Milton - 8-7(W/L) 4.40ERA 57K

Eric should be performing alot better than he is. With a 8-3 start to the year, Eric was considered a shining light in the Reds staff. Since then he has managed to lost 4 starts, and seen his ERA jump to 4.40. There is alot of work to be done to turn Eric from a C Grade into the B+ player he should be.

Paul Wilson - 5-4(W/L) 3.89ERA 54K

Not the best of seasons for the Reds number 2 starter, but as hes an ageing pitcher, the Reds will take the average numbers put up by Wilson. The Reds should have a B Grade Pitcher in this slot, but may have to put up with the C Grade performances for a bit longer with Wilson.

C-:

Sean Casey - .262Avg 5HR 20RBI .999Fielding Pct

It may be a harsh grading on Casey, but the Reds need alot more production from their overpaid 1B. Sean is way below the numbers expected of him, and will need to work harder in all areas of his game to become the productive AB the Reds need him to be.

Rich Aurilia - .282Avg 6RBI .957Fielding Pct

Rich has been a reliable player to call upon. Theres nothing spectacular about his play, just honest AB and fielding each time hes required. Theres not much more he is expected to do in the coming months.

Edwin Encarnacion - .256Avg 4RBI .979Fielding Pct

Another difficult grade to give, but considering his lack of ABs Edwin has done pretty well since his call-up from AAA. The Reds will expect alot more from their young 3B in the coming seasons, but will be content just to give him sparse action as he learns his trade.

Yhency Brazoban - 1-2(W/L) 2.53ERA 45K

The Reds picked up a decent young pitcher for their Bullpen in an early season trade, and will be happy with the outcome.

Yhency has alot of potential and will need to fulfil this sooner rather than later, as the Reds pitching staff is crumbling around its ears.

D:

Felipe Lopez - .230Avg 1HR 20RBI .981Fielding Pct

Felipe has performed well under expectations and has been one of the Reds let-downs in this struggling season. Lopez should be putting up bigger numbers all round, but he is failing to get on base (.276OBP) which is criminal for a lead off batter.

Must do better or face the consequences in the summer.

D-:

D'Angelo Jimenez - .217Avg 1HR 17RBI .997Fielding Pct

D'Angelo has flopped drastically, and is more of a hinderence than help to this Reds team. Theres nothing really good to say about his displays, as the Reds will look to Freel as their 2B man due to Jimenez' continuing failure to perform.

Kent Mercker - 1/4(W/L) 4.64ERA 17K 1Sv

Kent started the season with a hot streak, and was considered a go to guy in the Reds Bullpen, as he was a rarity in that he could actually stop the other team scoring.

Since those heady days, Kent has slumped into the Reds pitching mentality and has seen his ERA shoot up to 4.64 with a 1-4 Win/Loss record. His career seems to be heading to a disappointing end.

Ryan Wagner - 1-4(W/L) 5.57ERA 21K 2Sv

Another underperformer, Ryan has been a huge disappointment for the Reds. Wagner was earmarked as the next Closer for this organisation, but he has failed to impress and will need to prove his critics wrong to maintain his career with the Reds.

F:

Austin Kearns - .203Avg 1HR 11RBI 1.000Fielding Pct

Austin has been a bad egg on and off the field. He should be producing huge numbers, yet has barely managed to maintain a .200 BA in a ropey effort from the young RF. Kearns is unlikely to remain a Red for much longer, so will go out on a low note, as one of the Reds 'E Graders'.

Juan Dominguez - 1-4(W/L) 4.76ERA 14K

It may be a harsh judgement, but Juan has failed to make the impact he should this year. He has given up too many runs in key situations and is not a player the Reds enjoy calling on in tight spots. Juan has alot of work to do, to convince his employers he is worthy of a place in the Bigs.

Jeriome Robertson - 1-4(W/L) 5.28ERA 9K

Again a potentially harsh judgement, but Jeriome should be pitching better than this. He has just 9Ks and a poor 1-4 Win/Loss record in his 12 Games 30.2IP stats.

Robertson cant get much worse, so will hope to improve to earn himself a regular starters role for the Reds.

Archived