The Return of the Big Red.......

Lual

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 3: Washington Nationals @ Cincinnati Reds

Reds Swot Nats!

game47.jpg

Above: D'Angelo Jimenez lays down a bunt, to bring home a run, Right: The Reds celebrate, as Jimenez is complimented for his unselfish play

The Reds took the rubber match in the series, as they managed to shut the Nationals out, in a creditable 3-0 win.

Milton was the orchestrar' on the mound, going a strong 8.2 innings, giving up just 5 hits. Wagner then came into the 9th inning, to get the final out for his 2nd save on the year.

Hitting wise, thigns marginally improved for the Reds, as they put 7 hits on the board. Jimenez made the headlines with his sacrifice bunt, which found the sweet spot, to bring the runner home from 3rd.

Milton improves to 7-2 on the year, as the Reds start to move in the right direction.

Reds Talk:

Milton: "Yeah i like that. I wanted to complete the game, but putting 2 men on base in the 9th, is not the ideal start to an inning. Billy pitched well to get the last out"

Jimenez: "Coach wanted me to lay down a bunt, i concentrated and pulled it off...then i went out there and layed down the bunt"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Lopez - 2/4, 3SB

Pena - 2/4, 1RBI, 1 Double

Griffey & Jimenez - 1RBI

Pitching:

Milton - 8.2I 5H 0R 0ER 2BB 1K 0HR 3.42ERA W(7-2)

Wagner - 0.1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 7.02ERA (Save 2)

Box:

R   H   E

WAS   0   5   2

CIN   3   7   1

Upcoming Series - 4 Games, Home vs Pittsburgh Pirates

Game 1: Pittsburgh Pirates @ Cincinnati Reds

Defence Wins Ball Games!

game48.jpg

Above: Wilson picks up 1 of 6Ks in the game, Right: Jimenez steals 3rd, and then can race to home on the overthrow at 3rd

A miserable afternoon in Cincinnati, was barely lit up by the ball game at the GABP.

The sides combined for 8 hits (Just 3 for the Reds), as the pitchers duelled it out in a game decided by a crazy error. Jimenez on the steal attempt to 3rd, managed to ruffle the Pirates 3B, as he let the ball get past him into the outfield. This gave D'Angelo the chance to step up and head for home, to score the only run in the 7th inning.

Other than that, the fans watched as the pitchers retired 1 batter after another, as the 2 weakeast clubs in te NL Central played out a defensive match.

Game 2 should be spicier, as the Reds have the loose cannon Ortiz on the mound for the start.

Reds Talk:

Wilson: "If i can keep putting a solid amount of Ks on the board, then im confident i can become a winning pitcher"

Miley: "Tight one out there, but its good for our 1-2 punch to both pitch shut outs, back to back"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Dunn - 1/3, 1 Double

Jimenez - 1Run

Pitching:

Wilson - 8.1I 5H 0R 0ER 0BB 6K 0HR 3.42ERA W(3-3)

Mercker - 0.2I 0H 0R 0ER 1BB 2K 0HR 3.52ERA (Save 1)

Box:

R   H   E

PIT   0   5   1

CIN   1   3   0

Game 2: Pittsburgh Pirates @ Cincinnati Reds

Right Back At Ya!

game50.jpg

Above: The Reds turned 5 double plays in todays game, Right: Dunn swings and misses, as he still struggles to come out of his slump

Game 2 of 4 in this series, and the Pirates copy the Reds, by winning 1-0 in another 8 hit game. This time the Reds could only muster 2 hits as they continue to slump at bat.

Again theres not alot to talk about from this game, as the Pirates took the win with 2 hits in the 9th inning, off Reds reliever Brazoban. Lawton and Wilson got the hits, as the Reds managed to let this game just sail right by them.

It must be a big concern for the Reds. as the hitting slump has been apparent through a large part of May. If the Reds could match their pitching and hitting peaks together, then this team could put a useful streak of wins on the board.

Games 3 & 4 should prove interesting, as neither side will want to end May, at the foot of the NL Central.

Reds Talk:

Brazoban: "I just didnt get the ball moving as i need to. Its a tough loss to take"

Dunn: "It hurts to be slumping this bad. Not just myself, but the team needs some hitting pretty bad at the moment"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Pena - 1/3

Randa - 1/3

Pitching:

Ortiz - 8I 4H 0R 0ER 1BB 0K 0HR 3.74ERA

Brazoban - 1I 2H IR 1ER 0BB 1K 0HR 1.97ERA L(0-1)

Box:

R   H   E

PIT   1   6   0

CIN   0   2   2

Cincinnati Reds News:

graves.jpg

Above: Danny Graves

The Cincinnati Reds where dealt a blow today, as Closing Pitcher Danny Graves has said "No" to a new deal with the Organisation. The Reds where believed to be offering him a 3 year deal at $8,500,000 per year. Dannys Agent spoke out for his client, stating:

"Danny has enjoyed his time with the Reds, but he knows the club is holding him back. Danny told me he wants to win things in baseball, and that the Reds are just not a winning team"

"Lets be honest here, the Reds are a team of the past. Theres no future in Cincinnati baseball, the fans might be happy to tread water, and live of memories about the so-called 'Big Red Machine' but come on, no player with any ounce of ambition would want to play for this club"

"Its not a money motivated decision. Obviously i want Danny to get a deal he deserves, but i cant blame the Reds for the offer they where willing to make. The Reds are small market, Dannys big time. You dont see 19 inch rims on a Nissan Sunny, so you wont see a player of Dannys quality in a Reds Uni' much longer"

The Reds Front Office are yet to respond to the outburst from Danny Graves' agent, but they are believed to be disappointed in Dannys decision, and are likely to try and work out a deal to trade Graves before the deadline, in the attempt to bring in some prospects to bolster the Minor League system.

"Its not a money motivated decision. Obviously i want Danny to get a deal he deserves, but i cant blame the Reds for the offer they where willing to make. The Reds are small market, Dannys big time. You dont see 19 inch rims on a Nissan Sunny, so you wont see a player of Dannys quality in a Reds Uni' much longer"

WTF is a Nissan Sunny????

And I've seen Danny Graves car before, and it ain't a Nissan Sunny.

Game 3: Pittsburgh Pirates @ Cincinnati Reds

Reds Beat Bucco's!

game49.jpg

Above: Kearns drives in the key 2nd run, Right: Jimenez gets taken out, as the Pirates played hard all game

The Reds snatched game 3 of the 4 game series, with a solid 3-1 win over the Pirates.

This series has been consistently low scoring, and todays game was no different. The Reds did put on a better offensive showing, putting 10 hits on the board, from 6 different batters.

Claussen offered another solid start, going 5 innings, giving up just 2 hits and a run. The Bullpen also did its fair share, with Robertson pitching 3 nice innings, and then the Unhappy Graves making sure he got the save.

1 more left between these 2, as the month is coming to a interesting end for the Reds, who need to put a steak together, to put themselves in contention.

Reds Talk:

Graves: "Ill keep playing, but its to make sure i get my market value in Free Agency"

Kearns: "Its good to come up big in a game like that, we need to win this series for a confidence boost"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Jimenez - 2/4

Kearns - 2/4, 1RBI, 1Double

Dunn & Run Walked In - 1RBI

Pitching:

Claussen - 5I 2H 1R 1ER 0BB 3K 0HR 2.56ERA W(6-2)

Robertson - 3I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 1.04ERA

Graves - 1I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 3.38ERA (Save 10)

Box:

R   H   E

PIT   1   4   0

CIN   3  10   0

Game 4: Pittsburgh Pirates @ Cincinnati Reds

Reds Wrap It Up!

game51.jpg

Above: Lopez comes back to form, driving home the final run. Right: Encarnacion makes sure with the games final out

Ryan Wagner got credited with the win, as the Reds put the Pirates to the sword, with their 2nd straight 3-1 win, to clinch the series 3-1.

Again, it proved to be pretty comfortable for the Reds, as Lopez, Wagner and a crazy overthrow to 3rd, allowed the Reds to race into a 3-0 lead.

The Pirates couldnt muster enough hits to make a worthwhile comeback, and fell short at just 1 run in a 3 hit 8th inning.

Graves picked up the save, and Dominguez had a no-decision after a solid 6 innings pitched. The good news for the Reds is that Aaron Harang is now off the DL and will be back into the rotation for June.

Reds Talk:

Dominguez: "Probably my last start for a while, and im happy with the 6 innings i pitched through"

Miley: "Its getting better, its a nice way to end the home stand"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Lopez - 1/3, 1RBI

Wagner - 1RBI

Pitching:

Dominguez - 6I 5H 1R 1ER 0BB 3K 0HR 2.12ERA

Wagner - 2.1I 3H 1R 1ER 0BB 0K 0HR 6.16ERA W(1-2)

Graves - 0.2I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 3.21 (Save 11)

Box:

R   H   E

PIT   1   8   0

CIN   3   6   1

Roster News:

With Aaron Harang now back from the DL, and having completed his final 2 days rehab, the Reds have now placed him back into their rotation.

Harang will go back in the 3 spot, with Ortiz going to 5, and Juan Dominguez moving to the Bullpen as Long Relief.

This move means the Reds can shift a pitcher for a positional player from their Minors. To that end, RP Mike Jackson has been sent down to AAA Louisville, after failing to impress in a Reds Uni. Replacing him will be 1B Joey Votto. Joey has impressed at both AA & AAA level, putting up some solid numbers:

AA - .268AVG 2HR 7RBI

AAA - .368AVG 0HR 1RBI

This will give the Reds some honest cover for Sean Casey at First, as well as increase the amount of Youth, the Reds are prepared to try at the Major League level.

Upcoming Series - 3 Games, @ Houston Astros

Game 1: Cincinnati Reds @ Houston Astros

Countdown to Zero!

game52.jpg

Above: Milton picks up only 2 Ks all game, while (Right) Randa makes a huge grab at 3rd

Houston completed a shut out of the Reds in a dour matchup at MinuteMaid Park. Neither side really took control of the game, as the pair combined for just 10 hits, of the pitching of Milton (Reds) and Ostwalt (Astros).

The runs came in the 2nd, 3rd (Lane HR) and 6th innings, as the Astros made it count when they managed to get men on base. The Reds meanwhile will be concerned with their lack of production from their offence.

Griffey and Dunn are both in slumps for the Reds, and without their RBIs, you can see why the Reds are now in a low scoring drought.

Game 2 will see Houston unvail the Rocket, as Clemens will hope to maintain the Astros winning streak.

Reds Talk:

Miley: "We really need to get our bats back in action, we are struggling to dominate any pitcher at the moment"

Griffey: "Slumps come and go, im in good shape, and still should hit 30-40 homers this year"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Lopez - 2/4

Pitching:

Milton - 8I 6H 3R 3ER 0BB 2K 1HR 2.90ERA L(7-3)

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   0   4   1

HOU   3   6   1

Game 2: Cincinnati Reds @ Houston Astros

Zero's Not Heroes!

game53.jpg

Above: Lopez tries to generate some offence, with a single, then a bag

Houston "Theres no problem", i was always told to milk whatever quotes i could, especially when watching a cr*p game of baseball. Today we again saw just 12 hits on the board, and incredibly the anemic Reds, where shut out for the 2nd game straight.

Houston themselves looked all set for a zero, until a 5 run 7th sealed the Reds fate. The runs came off 2 homers, 1 for Ausmus and the other Berkman, as Cincinnati tasted defeat yet again.

There where no real plus points for the Reds to take from this game, and they will head into tomorrows game, hoping to just get a run, let alone avoid an embarrasing sweep.

Reds Talk:

Kearns: "It shows where this organisation places me in their future. The team is slumping, and all i get is pinch hitting duties"

Wilson: "The Skipper told me to keep pitching through this tough spell for me. I know my Reds career is on the line, but we will see what happens down the stretch"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Casey - 2/4

Pitching:

Wilson - 6.1I 5H 3R 3ER 0BB 4K 1HR 3.49ERA L(3-4)

Wagner - 1.2I 2H 2R 2ER 1BB 0K 1HR 6.53ERA

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   0   5   0

HOU   5   7   1

Game 3: Cincinnati Reds @ Houston Astros

Im All Out Of Headlines!

game54.jpg

Above: Jimenez gets hit hard by a pitch, at least it puts a Red on base, Right: Casey makes a sliding grab at first, as the defence try to prevent the sweep

Game 3, and well, you guessed it, the Reds managed to put 0 runs on the board, as the Astros completed a Shut Out Sweep of the ropey Reds.

The most exciting part of the Reds offence today, was Jimenez being hit by a wild pitch from Pettite. Other than that, just 2 Reds got on board, with Griffey and Casey putting a single each into play.

The Astros also had their problems with the bat, as the teams went into the 11th inning, without any runs put on the board. It was a mistake by the Reds management, that left Kent Mercker in the game for just too long, as he gave up 2 hits in the 11th, 1 a triple, then a single to Biggio, which gave the Astros a tight 1-0 win.

Aaron Harangs, 8 shut out innings has to be the plus point for the Reds. His 1st game since separating his shoulder, was an impressive outing, and should give the rotation a big boost in June.

A trip to Colorado is next for the Reds, surely they will put runs on the board.....

Reds Talk:

O'Brien (GM): "There will be changes, somethings not right somewhere"

Harang: "Its good to be back, im happy with the 8 innings Skip let me pitch, i just cant believe we lost out there"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Griffey - 1/4

Casey - 1/4

Pitching:

Harang - 8I 4H 0R 0ER 0BB 2K 0HR 2.19ERA

Mercker - 2.1I 4H 1R 1ER 0BB 1K 0HR 3.55ERA L(0-2)

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   0   2   1

HOU   1   8   1

Upcoming Series - 3 Games, @ Colorado Rockies

Game 1: Cincinnati Reds @ Colorado Rockies

Color Isnt Red!

game55.jpg

Above: Jimenez plays hard to turn 2, Right: Encarnacion cheers Griffey around the bases

The Rockies hung on to beat the Reds in an exciting finish to a tough game in Colorado.

It appeared to be heading for a simple win for the Rockies, as they put 3 runs on the board, off the pitching of Claussen who struggled to find his spot in todays game.

With the Reds scoreless in their last 3 games, you could of been forgiven for thinking the same would happen, when they came to bat in the 9th, trailing 3-0. Things quickly changed for the Reds, as back to back homers from Griffey and Dunn, put the Reds just 1 run behind and gave the Rockies some bad vibrations, as the Reds offence prepared to 'avalanche' all over their hosts.

Alas, 2 quick outs, and the game ended 3-2 Rockies, leaving the Reds 0-4 on this road trip, and facing a tough month of June, with the Inter-League matchups around the corner.

Reds Talk:

Dunn: "Its good for Ken and me to start June with some confidence. We need to make this a big month for this team"

Griffey: "Skip told me to bunt, so i set up for it, and the ball hit the bat and flew out for a homer. I know they say its easier to hit homers up here, but thats just crazy"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Griffey - 1/4, 1HR, 1RBI

Dunn - 1/4, 1HR, 1RBI

Casey - 2/3

Randa - 2/4

Pitching:

Claussen - 7I 10H 3R 3ER 0BB 3K 0HR 2.70ERA L(6-3)

Robertson - 1I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 0.93ERA

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   2   8   0

COL   3  11   0

Game 2: Cincinnati Reds @ Colorado Rockies

Rockies 9 In 1!

game56.jpg

Above: Casey trots off after a meaningless homer, Right: He proves his value to the Reds with a tough defensive grab

Colorado managed to blow out the Reds in the 1st inning, after a crazy 10 hit, 9 run festival at Coors Field.

Ortiz lost all control, as he gave up 2 homers, accounting for 5 of those runs, as the Rockies battered the Reds starter. Ortiz managed just 2 more innings, as he was chased out of Colorado by the Rockies hitters.

The Reds tried to come back, and put 5 runs on the board, thanks to homers from Dunn and Casey, as well as a pair from Pena who put 3RBIs on the board. It wasnt to be for the Reds, as their 5 runs fell 4 short of the Rockies, and defeat number 5 on the spin was chalked up.

The sweep is on the cards, as the Rockies host the Reds who have Milton on the mound, aiming for his 8th win.

Reds Talk:

Miley: "Ramon knows he cant pitch like that and expect to be in the Majors much longer. He is our weak link, and i have a couple of guys ready to take over in the 5 slot"

Casey: "Im not Todd Helton, but i always bust a gut for this team on every play and at bat"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Pena - 3/4, 2HR, 3RBI

Dunn - 1/4, 1HR, 1RBI

Casey - 1/4, 1HR, 1RBI

Pitching:

Ortiz - 3I 11H 9R 9ER 0BB 3K 2HR 4.77ERA L(1-5)

Dominguez - 4I 6H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 1.71ERA

Brazoban - 1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 3K 0HR 1.91ERA

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   5   8   0

COL   9  17   0

Game 3: Cincinnati Reds @ Colorado Rockies

Reds End Slump!

game57.jpg

Above: Griffey can celebrate another homer, Right: Mercker finds his form again, shutting down the Rockies for 2 innings

The Reds managed to avoid the sweep thanks to a convincing performance by their pitching staff, as the Rockies where shut down in a 4-0 Reds win.

Griffey was the architect of an early lead, with his solo shot, the Reds then added 3 more runs midway through the game, with Jimenez, LaRue and Kearns all adding an RBI to their stats.

This result means the Reds have snapped their 5 game losing streak, and puts them in better shape to face Tampa Bay, as the Inter League schedule begins in earnest.

More encouragment for the Reds, is the continuing dominance shown by Milton, as he has now got 8 wins under his belt, in what could easily be a 20 game winning season.

Reds Talk:

Milton: "Give me a 20 win season, and i will be happy."

Pena: "Im feeling good, confidence is there, im swinging the bat well, and getting hits"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Lopez - 2/5

Pena - 2/4, 1 Double

Griffey - 1/4, 1HR, 1RBI

Jimenez, LaRue & Kearns - 1RBI

Pitching:

Milton - 6I 5H 0R 0ER 0BB 5K 0HR 2.70ERA W(8-3)

Mercker - 2I 5H 0R 0ER 1BB 2K 0HR 3.79ERA

Graves - 1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 3.00ERA

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   4  10   0

COL   0  10   0

Reds Rumour Mill:

casey.jpghelton.jpg

Above: Casey and Helton - Who will be wearing Red come the All-Star break?

The links between Cincinnati and Todd Helton grew even closer after this weeks series in Colorado, as the Reds Front Office appear to be preparing a package to bring the Rockies Star 1st Baseman, to Cincinnati.

Tood Helton as ever, has been in sparkling form for the Rockies, putting up some huge offensive numbers. Numbers that the Reds desperately need, as they hope to resurrect a season of mis-fires.

Whether the Reds have enough to offer the Rockies for Helton is another matter, alongside that, is the huge contract Helton is sitting on. At around $16,500,000 per year, the Reds will need to either shift some salary to Colorado, or ask the Rockies to eat up some of Heltons huge pay packet.

It is believed that the Reds will definately offer their own 1B Sean Casey, as well as either SP Ramon Ortiz (1-5) or CP Danny Graves (11SV), and an unamed player, probably a pitching prospect.

Either way, this is the sort of news that Reds fans have been waiting to hear. Some positive action from the Front Office, will generate alot more interest around the GABP, as the Reds need a upshift in fortunes to make the PlayOffs in 2005.

Comparison:

Reds 1B - Sean Casey:

.257Avg / 3HR / 15RBI

Rockies 1B - Todd Helton:

.377Avg / 15HR / 43RBI

Upcoming Series - 3 Games, Home vs Tampa Bay Devilrays

Game 1: Tampa Bay Devilrays @ Cincinnati Reds

Rays Stun Reds!

game59.jpg

Above: Wilson pitches for 4Ks in this no-decision, Right: Pena hits 2 homers and drives in 5 runs

Inter League month started with a dramatic loss for the Reds, as Tampa Bay came to GABP, and turned in a pacey performance.

The DRays are stacked with pace, and made the Reds pay with long doubles, as the visitors put 8 runs on the board, hurting the Reds pitching staff all game.

Pena was the Reds main man, hitting a 2 run jack in the 4th to give the Reds a 2-0 lead. Then in the 6th, he tied the game at 5-5 with his 2nd homer, which drove in 3 runs. This topsy turvy game, ended with the DRays putting 3 runs on the board in the last 2 innings, as they managed to streak out to a 8-5 win, in game 1.

Brazoban and Wagner failed to curb the DRays offensive play, as they combined to give up 3 runs and 5 hits in their 3 innings, not the outings the Reds 'Pen needed.

Reds Talk:

O'Brien (GM): "I think the rumours will continue to circulate until the trade deadline. Its obvious that we will be making some deals, its whether we gamble this year or next, is the big question"

Pena: "Austin made it clear he wasnt happy with me taking his position. But im proving to be the key in this Reds team"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Pena - 2/4, 2HR, 5RBI

Pitching:

Wilson - 6I 5H 5R 5ER 1BB 4K 1HR 3.78ERA

Wagner - 2I 2H 1R 1ER 0BB 2K 0HR 6.35ERA L(1-3)

Brazoban - 1I 3H 2R 2ER 0BB 1K 1HR 2.38ERA

Box:

R   H   E

TB	8  10   0

CIN   5   5   1

Archived