JoeRudi26

Greatest Homerun of All Time  

103 members have voted

1. 1.

• Mark McGwire#62 To Surpass Maris in 1998
    • Barry Bonds #73 in 2001
    • Joe Carter HR in 1993 to win World Series
    • Carlton Fisk HR at Fenway Game 6 1975 World Series

ESPN conducted a similar poll on their website, but the options (IMO) were a little outdated for my time.

I don't remember Bill Mazerowski's homerun in 1960, nor do I remember when Roger Maris hit his 61st to pass Ruth in 1961. I wasn't even born when Bobby Thompson hit the "shot heard round the world" in 1951.

As a matter of fact, I wasn't born when ANY of this happened, although I DO remember (April 8, 1974) when Hank Aaron hit number 715 to pass Ruth's all time HR record. I was 8 years old at the time.

These were the options, so I obviously voted for Hammerin Hank, since I really had NO idea how the other ones "felt". Of course we all know what significance, through history and the present, that each of these long balls have in baseball.

So I thought I would conduct a new updated poll, with an "others" option since we come from all different eras, and HR's in "our history" play a different role for each of us.

If you voted "other", please specify. It could be from any era, at any time, what significance did it have for you.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carlton Fisk's is the one that clearly makes me the happiest on that list, but my favorite is either Ortiz's game winner in last year's ALCS Game 4, or Damon's grand slam in game 7. Then there's Hendu's home run in Game 5 of the 1986 ALCS, and Carbo's home run in the 9th inning of the Fisk game.

As for the greatest home run of all time, there's 0 doubt in my mind that it's Mazerowski's World Series Game 7 winner over the Yankees at Forbes Field. I still want a Bill Maz jersey because of it.

OTHER:

I have to go with Kirk Gibson in the '88 World Series, Game 1, pinch hit homerun in the 9th with 2 outs to win. The fist pump as he rounded the bases is now timeless.

"Gibson . . . swings! And a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5-4! I don't believe what I just saw! . . . I don't believe what I just saw!" -- Jack Buck, CBS Radio.

As a Yankees fan, I have a couple of personal favorites that top my list. I was a teenager at the time and I remember watching them on TV:

1. Chris Chambliss' 1976 ALCS walkoff homerun that won the pennant for the Yankees.

The Yankee Stadium crowd rushes onto the field as Chambliss starts his home run trot and he is nearly tackled as he rounds the bases. It was such a mob scene that he had to come back out onto the field later (after the stadium has been emptied) with an umpire present to officially step on home plate. The Yankees make their first trip to the World Series since the early 60's only to get swept by Cincinnati's Big Red Machine.

2. Bucky Dent's homerun over the Green Monster in the 1978 one game playoff against the Red Sox

After being down 14-1/2 games in July, the Yanks come all the way back to force a one game playoff with the Red Sox for the AL East title. I remember racing home after school to be able to catch the last few innings of the game. After the Yanks fall behind early, Dent hits a homerun to give the Yankees the lead. They later win the game and go on to win their second consecutive World Series title by beating the Dodgers.

I have a couple of favorites actually:

After Hank Aaron had tied Ruth's record of 714, each and every bat was televised, and on April 8th, 1974 he got it. Even at 8 years old, I could understand what was really happening. After all, Ruth was a legend, and this guy I was watching had just topped him.

As I got older, I realized all he had to endure because he was black. I can only think how that must have "dampened" the glory for him, and I am glad I DIDN'T understand it as I watched the ball clear the left center field wall.

My second favorite was Carlton Fisk's homerun that hit the foul pole (actually called foul pole back then) to send the '75 series to game 7.

The Big Red Machine was a household name at that time. Each and every player was known to every kid on the block. I really didn't think Boston would even avoid a sweep.

That homerun was sweet. My WORST favorite is Kirk Gibson's HR in '88 as someone else stated, but I guessed I am biased. :)

Game 1, 1988 World Series, Oakland leading.

Gibson wasn't even supposed to be in uniform that night and he was sitting in the training room the whole game in pain. There was a point when Vin Scully said on NBC that we wouldn't see Gibson at all that night.

Gibson got so angry at this that he started packing ice on his legs in an effort to numb them so he could get ready to go out there.

At some point Bob Costas passes by the batting cage underneath Dodger Stadium and there is Gibson hitting balls off of a tee. Costas could hear the grunts of pain coming from Gibson as he was swinging: "Thwack UUUHH, Thwack UUUHH, Thwack UUUHH." The battign coach for the Dodgers then goes to the dugout to talk to Lasorda, and like out of a "B" movie says to Tommy "He thinks he's got one good swing in him."

So Mike Davis walks to make way for Dave Anderson who's on deck, and they call Andy back in and send Gibby out on deck.

Scully: "...and he walked him, and look who's coming up! Kirk Gibson, with two bad legs...you want to talk about a roll of the dice, this is it!"

So Gibby gets up there and pretty much looks terrible. Eck is just feeding him fastball after fastball and Gibby can just barely make contact to foul them off.

Then Eck made his fatal mistake and tried to sneak through a backdoor slider...

Scully: "Sax is waiting on deck, but the game right now is at the plate...High fly ball into RIGHT FIELD SHE IS GONE!!! In a year that has been so improbable, THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!!"

• 5 months later...

Archived