1. 1.

• Mark McGwire#62 To Surpass Maris in 1998
    • Barry Bonds #73 in 2001
    • Joe Carter HR in 1993 to win World Series
    • Carlton Fisk HR at Fenway Game 6 1975 World Series

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a Cardinals fan's perspective there's definately two biggies in recent years.

Game 6, 2004 NLCS:

Edmonds' towering, walk-off shot to force a game 7 versus the Astros in 2004 - his reaction immediately after hitting it will be a classic for sure. Jimmy Baseball always has a flare for the dramatic, and this one was huge.

Game 5, 2005 NLCS:

2 outs. Top of the ninth. Eckstein singles. Edmonds walks... "0-1 to Pujols... In the air, left field! And Pujols has given St. Louis the lead! A dramatic, towering 3-run home run! Stunned in disbeleif here in Houston." One of my favorite home run calls of all time. How about Andy Pettite mouthing "Oh my God" as he watched that baseball clear the railroad tracks above the Crawford boxes? I was in a bar here in STL when that happened. Total strangers were hugging one another and screaming and high-fiving. It was pandamonium. We might've ended up losing the following night, but it gave the old Busch Stadium one more night of life and solidified Pujols' name in St. Louis Baseball lore.

I'm not going to read back through this whole thread but Bobby Thompson's 'Shot heard 'round the World' is the greatest homerun in the history of baseball. During a time when pennant races meant everything to people, it was the crescendo to on of the greatest comebacks by a team in the history of baseball.

Jackson hit a memorable home run in the 1971 All-Star Game at Tiger Stadium in Detroit. Batting for the American League against Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Dock Ellis, the ball he hit soared above the right-field stands, striking the transformer of a light standard on the right field roof.

Apparently in 1984 he hit one over the roof. I've never seen it though.

"Guinness also notes that Mickey's 643-foot homer hit at Detroit's Tiger Stadium on September 10, 1960 is the longest home run measured "mathematically after the fact."

Joe Carter was probably the greatest of my 21, nearly 22 years of life, but all-time, I have to go with Maz in '60, that's what every little kid that plays baseball growing up dreams of, a home run in the bottom of the 9th of the 7th game of the World Series

• 2 months later...

I think the best homerum of all-time has to be Kirk Gibson's in game 1 of the '88 World Series. I don't pick it because of how far he hit it, nor do I choose it because of who he hit it off of or that it was a milestone for a number of homeruns. The situation cannot be any more perfect, unless it was in game 7.

First of all, it is the World Series, which, I would assume, is something we all dream about participating in.

It was bottom of the 9th, down 4-3, two outs, one on base.

Gibson was injured in the NLCS and was not expected to play.

The story goes that Vin Scully was looking through the dugout, but Gibson was not there. Gibson was allegedly in the clubhouse with a trainer and saw the situation unfolding on television, then he came out and asked Lasorda if he was going to need him. Then Gibson found out he was going to be pinch-hitting and went and took some BP in the cage, supposedly hobbling through the whole thing, in lots of pain. I'm not 100% sure if im buying every part of that story, but I'll play along.

Gibson comes hobbling to the plate to face Hall-of-famer Dennis "Eck" Eckersley.

Gibson falls behind 0-2. Now, just imagine being in this situation. You are in the World Series, down 4-3, one runner on base, bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, 0-2 count, against one of the best relief pitchers ever to put on a Major League uniform. Oh, on top of this, you have a bum knee.

So, Gibson works the count to 3-2, Mike Davis steals 2nd base. The one question I have is this: Why the heck didn't they walk Gibson?! From 1984-1988, Gibson had of 25 homers every year except 24 in 1987. With 1st base open and Steve Sax on-deck, why not walk him? Sax was certainly less of a threat than Gibson was. Either way, Eck throws Gibson a backdoor curve and Gibson must have been blowing the ball, because that sucker barely cleared the wall.

Gibson rounds the bases, throwing in his now trademark fist pump, and wins game 1 of the World Series for the LA Dodgers, and eventually assiting in the World Series victory for the aforementioned team.

Now if that is not a great moment in baseball history, I don't know what is!

OTHER:

I have to go with Kirk Gibson in the '88 World Series, Game 1, pinch hit homerun in the 9th with 2 outs to win. The fist pump as he rounded the bases is now timeless.

"Gibson . . . swings! And a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5-4! I don't believe what I just saw! . . . I don't believe what I just saw!" -- Jack Buck, CBS Radio.

My thoughts exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

By far the greatest HR was by Bill Mazeroski against the Yanks, just for the sheer fact that the Yankees were a considerably better team than the Pirates that year. It was a monster HR, the ultimate stage for a HR.

Number 2 is definitely Kirk Gibson, The A's were so highly touted and when old cripple Kirk just yanked it out, it deflated that whole A's team. You could make a case that Kirk single handidly beat the A's, at least mentally.

As for the others,

Barry Bonds... who even cares

Joe Caters was an awesome HR

Carleton Fisks HR was certainly a classic, you know the whole body english and arm waving thing... I liked that one.

Mark McGuire... ahh I was a bit dissapointed to see a classic name go off the record books.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived