Racial Slurs In Youth Baseball

MarlinsMS_35

Something happened that I am absoulutely disgusted by. I play for a travel team, and I don't want to give away location. Say there is a city A, I live in city B which is 15 minutes away, and I play on the City A Vipers. I play on the City B all-star team. 7 kids on the Vipers live in city A. City A's Pony League All-star team played v.s. City C. There are two black kids who play on my travel team, and the City A all-stars. KIDS on City C called them the n word. I feel disgusted that the n word is used so frequently in this day in age, and more importantly, I can't believe that kids are racist. The two kids wanted to go over and beat up the kids who said that, but their coaches hels them back. I don't know any other details, that is what my coach of the City A Vipers told me. The tournament was in City C.

All that city A,B,C is confusing, but, ya, where im from its about 90% White, 9% Native American, and 1% Aferican American. So at sometimes their can be some racism, like their was a huge brawl at a soccer game of ours when a kid on the opposing team called a Native, well, something in appropite, and spit on him. Well, the Kid on our team right during the middle of the game punched in the head, and then it was a bench clearing brawl. Then the Kid on our team transfered to our biggest school rival, and went their and won a gold ball in Basketball over their. And was all state for Class C. (Their's class A,B,C,D)

This completely disgusts me. Having it in professional sports is bad enough, but youth? C'mon man. The pros set the worst example for kids, steroids, trash talk, racial comments, etc. I have become totally disgusted with how bad this kind of thing has gotten everywhere. I think anyone who uses race as a negative influence shoudl be severially punished.

Kenyess, you just made me feel like I was taking a math test. You know the train questions like Train 1 is in city a at a distance of X and train 2 is at city B and a distance of L lol.

We played this team in Brooklyn once and the majority of trhem were hispanic and african american. They had this one pitcher throw at us.

This isn't really racism but it is hate.

When I played little league I was actually one of the taller ones at 5'6. I was a backup pitcher. I didnt throw my hardest cuz i didn't want to hit anyone lol. I just struck out two batters and someone yelled out from the crown, "Get this motherf***** off the field. This kid is 13. The next pitch I just gunned it as hard as I can (maybe 55-60 tops at the time) and it hit the kid right in the wrist. The kid charged the mound and the benches cleared. I flipped the kid on his ***, and then the second basemen on my team layed out some kid. There was this big pile up and It took about 10 min to get everything settled. I got tossed and accompinied by a two game suspension and the kid who charged got tossed out of the league.

I'm not one for fighting, but that had to be one the coolest things that happened to me in baseball.

Sorry for going a little of topic.

Kenyess, you just made me feel like I was taking a math test. You know the train questions like Train 1 is in city a at a distance of X and train 2 is at city B and a distance of L lol.

We played this team in Brooklyn once and the majority of trhem were hispanic and african american. They had this one pitcher throw at us.

This isn't really racism but it is hate.

When I played little league I was actually one of the taller ones at 5'6. I was a backup pitcher. I didnt throw my hardest cuz i didn't want to hit anyone lol. I just struck out two batters and someone yelled out from the crown, "Get this motherf***** off the field. This kid is 13. The next pitch I just gunned it as hard as I can (maybe 55-60 tops at the time) and it hit the kid right in the wrist. The kid charged the mound and the benches cleared. I flipped the kid on his ***, and then the second basemen on my team layed out some kid. There was this big pile up and It took about 10 min to get everything settled. I got tossed and accompinied by a two game suspension and the kid who charged got tossed out of the league.

...and then you woke up. ;) :lol:

Ok maybe I stretched the truth a little bit. Bit I did break the kids wrist and everything before that is 100% true.

Anything after that, you can determine if you belive it or not :-).

• 2 weeks later...

I would have paid to see NYMs fight. anyway were i live on Staten Island (dump) there has been many problems with our baseball system. Just the other day i was at a buddy of mines games (i dont pla anymore i have bad knees and feet). The game is over. My friends team lost. One kid blurts out " Yea good game you F(Naughty) N(Bad word). Two kids went at it! the started pummeling each other. By the time it all stopped 3 kids had to be taken to the hosptial for broken hands and severe cuts. It has to have been one of the funniest things ive seen in the amount that i have watched baseball.

While I am not supporting the calling of racial slurs to anyone in Youth baseball or anywhere, I do have to bring this up: when the names were being said, the best you could have done was ignore it and take your frustrations out on the field.

By stopping and paying attention to what was said just added to the problem. I'm not saying let them say what they want, but shut them up the best way you can, by beating the hell out of them on the baseball field.

While I am not supporting the calling of racial slurs to anyone in Youth baseball or anywhere, I do have to bring this up: when the names were being said, the best you could have done was ignore it and take your frustrations out on the field.

By stopping and paying attention to what was said just added to the problem. I'm not saying let them say what they want, but shut them up the best way you can, by beating the hell out of them on the baseball field.

yes.

yes.

This isn't racial, but once I played a Miami team during a tournament. There was a game before us. When it was over we stood next to one of the dugouts, and waited for all the players from the team from the game before to get out. The other team's coach stormed in to the dugout before one player on the team got out. Our entire team then flooded the dugout, and the coach on the other team got in an arguement. His team had been waiting by the other dugout the whole day. The meaningless arguement turned out that we stayed, they went to the other dugout. I could care less, it's just a dugout. But then the coach on the other team said "Empujaremos veinte izan sus extremos" [We are going to shove twenty runs up your butts] Well two of my coaches had English as a second language. They spoke Spanish. They knew what they said, and told us. Well in the first inning we scored 5 runs. Our RF made a diving catch, CF made a Willie Mays catch. And I gunned a guy out at 2nd from LF. We ended up losing 7-12. They were good, but not 20 runs good.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have paid to see NYMs fight. anyway were i live on Staten Island (dump) there has been many problems with our baseball system.

Hey it's not that bad here, at least not as bad as the umpires. They are absoluly horrible here.

This is the key. Racial conflict is never going to go away, so you have to deal with it in the most positive and constructive way you can.

Hank Aaron took negative energy and turned it into a legacy.

Archived