Add MVPMODS to wikipedia.org?

jogar84

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, well, it's just the wikipedia mafia saying what is and isn't notable, apparently articles on hundreds of half-life mods are, but this isn't, just plain old nerd snobbery.

All you need to do is find another reference to it in a random Taiwanese baseball magazine or a games magazine, because apparently that's an authortative reference for wikipedia.

You know what it is? it's the fact that when the entry was edited throughout the course of the entire day, there were usernames and all sorts of unnecessary info added that didn't really make the site so unique but more like something we all wanted a piece of.

Wikipedia is a site for information on stuff, and the first draft of the entire entry IMO was the best, because it was informative, unbiased and it came from a point of view that wasn't mine.

Then again, there are entries for many HL2 mods and the like, but this one and maddenmania are suggested to be deleted. Screw them, I want 24 hours of my life back since I wasted time helping out editing the page. Wikipedia visitors, in the event that you are reading this and I know you are given the fact that I initially made the page myself, yes, I Kccitystar proclaim that you screw yourselves.

-KC

Yea, but if that's the case the article should've been marked for cleanup, not deletion.

It doesn't really matter I suppose, aside from it's catalogue of pop culture articles, wikipedia is a waste of time.

Like most things on the internet or in life it seemed like a good idea in theory then once humans started using it, it started going downhill.

You know what it is? it's the fact that when the entry was edited throughout the course of the entire day, there were usernames and all sorts of unnecessary info added that didn't really make the site so unique but more like something we all wanted a piece of.

That was all done by ONE person, a persion is a New York IP, it is not like member by member we all went over to wiki and added our info

Yea, well, it's just the wikipedia mafia saying what is and isn't notable, apparently articles on hundreds of half-life mods are, but this isn't, just plain old nerd snobbery.

All you need to do is find another reference to it in a random Taiwanese baseball magazine or a games magazine, because apparently that's an authortative reference for wikipedia.

Not necessarily "authoritative," but something that makes the site "notable." I don't think that makes Wikipedia elitist but prevents it from turning to Fanboy Paradise. The ideal of an neutral, informative encyclopedia may not be reached given the size of the site, but that doesn't mean we should go huffing and puffing if things don't go our way. It just makes us in the community look like worse people in the end.

I searched for articles for mods to Half-life and Half-Life 2 and there aren't "hundreds" of entries in Wikipedia but a few dozen at best.

Like most things on the internet or in life it seemed like a good idea in theory then once humans started using it, it started going downhill.

I hate to insta-post after my own stuff, and I apologize to management for this, but:

By your logic, the Internet never peaked or even went uphill to begin with. :wink:

That was all done by ONE person, a persion is a New York IP, it is not like member by member we all went over to wiki and added our info

Initially I started the article, however the NY IP, whoever it is, continued to add other things. I live in New York, but my IP begins with a 69.

The quantity isn't quite the "hundreds" you originally claimed though, but my new count is around 40 as some of the mods are either became standalone games or were never mods to begin with (i.e. DOD:S, CS:S).

And we're talking about 1 entry covering MVP Baseball mods.

No, the MVPMods website is the article in question, not anything on the separate mods themselves.

And if you add the Counter-Strike entries....

If you want semantics, there are hundreds listed, with around 50 entries.

So it would be better for wikipedia to have seperate entries for individual MVP mods, instead of one catch-all entry? I don't think so.

so create a MVP BASEBALL MODS Category

sorta like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:MVP_Baseball_mods

then create 50 or so pages based on separate mods?

Like has been done with Half-Life

But where is the since in that, when all we are asking for is ONE page

But hey I'll go the other route if it gets deleted

btw: I think we about have a nPOV on the MVPmods article now

Archived