The thread of Baseball Lists

abc006

Number 1: The thread of Baseball Lists

Number 2: What it is

Post all your different lists of things, from top/worst/strangest teams to players to stories to jerseys to whatever your hearts desire. The lists can be 2 to 10 to 50 to 500 to infinite. Then discuss people's lists, talk, do whatever you want with them. Just plain list.

Number 3: Just an idea, kill me if it's stupid, but if not, try it out. I posted a similar idea on another forum, and got beaten up about it. :?

HeathD521's Top 10 List of Baseball Books

1. Sports Illustrated - Great Baseball Writing

10343309.gif

Sports Illustrated's collection of its best baseball articles from over the years. As an aspiring sportswriter, I guess you could call this my bible.

2. Mickey Mantle - All My Octobers

10969366.gif

Mickey led the Yankees to 12 Fall Classics in his 18-year-career, 7 of which the Bronx Bombers won. He talks about everything from the play that tore his knee in his first Series to how he really felt about DiMaggio.

3. Roger Kahn - The Boys Of Summer

10969298.gif

The best sportswriter of his generation, Mr. Kahn writes a beautiful memoir about covering Jackie Robinson's Dodgers, and what has happened to all of them since.

4. New York Yankees - 100 Years: The Official Retrospective

6456586.gif

Maybe better for its amazing collection of photographs than the actual content, this book is essential for any Yankees fan, or any baseball fan wanting an intimate look at the sport's most successful team.

5. Josh Leventhal - The World Series: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Fall Classic

0978157912206_500X500.jpg

Essential October reading, this book has line scores of every World Series game ever played, countless photographs of countless October moments, and nice recaps of every series. Now when Tim McCarver and Joe Buck talk about the some Series in the '60s, you'll know what they're talking about.

6. Lawrence D. Hogan - Shades Of Glory - The Negro Leagues and the Story of African-American Baseball

10551827.gif

A very detailed, well-written, and well-researched book about all that was the Negro Leagues. It covers everything from the 19th Century beginnings of black baseball, to Jackie Robinson's Major-League debut.

7. David Halberstam - The Teammates

6619685.gif

The story of Dom DiMaggio and Johnny Pesky's journey to bid farewell to their dying teammate, and friend, Ted Williams. A great story about teammates and how friends will always be friends.

8. David Maraniss - Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero

10933285.gif

Roberto Clemente was one of the most profound individuals to ever step foot on a baseball field, and this biography does an amazing job of capturing his heroism and humanism.

9. Jonathan Eig - Luckiest Man - The Life and Death of Lou Gherig

10312488.gif

Another great biography about a baseball legend.

10. David Halberstam - Summer of '49

11040800.gif

The story of the 1949 baseball season, when America, fresh from the nightmare of war, turned its thoughts to the baseball field. There was only room for one hero, however, and Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams competed all summer long to be America's man.

List of players I'd trade for if I were the Braves:

1. Jeremy Hermida

2. Jeremy Hermida

3. Jeremy Hermida

List of books I really love

1. Holy Bible, King James Version (never gets old, never go without it)

2. Marketing Outrageously (sports oriented too!)

3. Cashflow Quadrant (a must read for everyone)

HeathD521's Top 10 List of Baseball Books

1. Sports Illustrated - Great Baseball Writing

10343309.gif

Sports Illustrated's collection of its best baseball articles from over the years. As an aspiring sportswriter, I guess you could call this my bible.

2. Mickey Mantle - All My Octobers

10969366.gif

Mickey led the Yankees to 12 Fall Classics in his 18-year-career, 7 of which the Bronx Bombers won. He talks about everything from the play that tore his knee in his first Series to how he really felt about DiMaggio.

3. Roger Kahn - The Boys Of Summer

10969298.gif

The best sportswriter of his generation, Mr. Kahn writes a beautiful memoir about covering Jackie Robinson's Dodgers, and what has happened to all of them since.

4. New York Yankees - 100 Years: The Official Retrospective

6456586.gif

Maybe better for its amazing collection of photographs than the actual content, this book is essential for any Yankees fan, or any baseball fan wanting an intimate look at the sport's most successful team.

5. Josh Leventhal - The World Series: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Fall Classic

0978157912206_500X500.jpg

Essential October reading, this book has line scores of every World Series game ever played, countless photographs of countless October moments, and nice recaps of every series. Now when Tim McCarver and Joe Buck talk about the some Series in the '60s, you'll know what they're talking about.

6. Lawrence D. Hogan - Shades Of Glory - The Negro Leagues and the Story of African-American Baseball

10551827.gif

A very detailed, well-written, and well-researched book about all that was the Negro Leagues. It covers everything from the 19th Century beginnings of black baseball, to Jackie Robinson's Major-League debut.

7. David Halberstam - The Teammates

6619685.gif

The story of Dom DiMaggio and Johnny Pesky's journey to bid farewell to their dying teammate, and friend, Ted Williams. A great story about teammates and how friends will always be friends.

8. David Maraniss - Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero

10933285.gif

Roberto Clemente was one of the most profound individuals to ever step foot on a baseball field, and this biography does an amazing job of capturing his heroism and humanism.

9. Jonathan Eig - Luckiest Man - The Life and Death of Lou Gherig

10312488.gif

Another great biography about a baseball legend.

10. David Halberstam - Summer of '49

11040800.gif

The story of the 1949 baseball season, when America, fresh from the nightmare of war, turned its thoughts to the baseball field. There was only room for one hero, however, and Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams competed all summer long to be America's man.

Thanks for this list. I noticed Moneyball was not on there, and strangely not on my list of books (my mistake), so did you read that book?

I'll try to pick up ALL MY OCTOBERS. Thanks again.

Top (not necessarily in order) baseball books

96_7.JPG1.Defenitely my favorite statistical baseball book is Bill Jame's Historical Baseball Abstract. it has lterally abosoloutely everything in there, it being about 1,000 pages long. It doesn't have pure stats, which is kind of good, it has lots of articles and "awards" and ratings of players an seasons and everything. This is one of those books where you can just open it and dig in, and never be tired of it.

FC0060195339.JPG2.Of baseball autobiographies, I read "A lefty's legacy" about Sandy Koufax, and that was really good, so that's probably my favorite biography.

imageDB.cgi?isbn=07894839203. The baseball desk reference is good too. :D

The five best players you may have never heard of

1. Hafner, Travis

Easily the most underrated player in the game, he has the best OPS in the game with little or no protection in the lineup behind him. Some of the best numbers in home runs, RBI's, OBP.

2. Cabrera, Miguel

Plays great defense along with being a great hitter. I said Hafner had no protection in the lineup, this guy has worse. Plus, he plays in a pitchers park notorious for making bad pitchers look good (See Beckett, Josh, and Pavano, Carl)

3. Haren, Dan

This excellent pitcher for the Oakland A's has some of the best pitching numbers in baseball. He records lots of strikeouts and groundouts, signs of a good pitcher, but lives way under the spotlight of Oakland. In addition, he is only 26!

4. Zito, Barry

Another excellent A's pitcher, his hook is easily among the best in the business. He is already the A's franchise player, and he is only 28. A lefty in the peak of his career with ace numbers? Johan Santana? no, Barry Zito

5. Young, Michael

Michael Young already has batting titles under his belt at the age 30, and lives under the spotlight while being among the best players in the game. An all-star reserve shortstop for three years now, even when he got all-star MVP this season, he has returned to living out of the spotlight.

The five best players you may have never heard of

1. Hafner, Travis

Easily the most underrated player in the game, he has the best OPS in the game with little or no protection in the lineup behind him. Some of the best numbers in home runs, RBI's, OBP.

2. Cabrera, Miguel

Plays great defense along with being a great hitter. I said Hafner had no protection in the lineup, this guy has worse. Plus, he plays in a pitchers park notorious for making bad pitchers look good (See Beckett, Josh, and Pavano, Carl)

3. Haren, Dan

This excellent pitcher for the Oakland A's has some of the best pitching numbers in baseball. He records lots of strikeouts and groundouts, signs of a good pitcher, but lives way under the spotlight of Oakland. In addition, he is only 26!

4. Zito, Barry

Another excellent A's pitcher, his hook is easily among the best in the business. He is already the A's franchise player, and he is only 28. A lefty in the peak of his career with ace numbers? Johan Santana? no, Barry Zito

5. Young, Michael

Michael Young already has batting titles under his belt at the age 30, and lives under the spotlight while being among the best players in the game. An all-star reserve shortstop for three years now, even when he got all-star MVP this season, he has returned to living out of the spotlight.

I'm not sure I agree with you about Zito... he's a talented pitcher, but Santana defenitely has better raw stuff, and he uses it more effectively. And about Michael Young... see my first list about "Top Players who because they were underrated became overrated".

I'm not sure I agree with you about Zito... he's a talented pitcher, but Santana defenitely has better raw stuff, and he uses it more effectively. And about Michael Young... see my first list about "Top Players who because they were underrated became overrated".

But everyone knows Santana, Zito has been good but out of the spotlight.

Fine replace Young with Morneau. Happy?

Top 5 Can't Miss Position Prospects (according to me)

1. Justin Upton

2. Carlos Gonzales

3. Alex Gordon

4. Cameron Maybin

5. Stephen Drew

I'd add Felix Pie to that list. On second though, since he's a Cub, he'll probably miss in Chicago, and hit somewhere else, after we give up on him.

• 2 weeks later...

D-Unit's 10 favorite prospects:

Philip Hughes

Jose Tabata

Marcos Vechionacci

Jesus Montero

James Brent Cox

Justin Upton

Delmon Young

Stephen Drew

Preston Mattingly

CJ Henry

CJ Henry? He went to Philly in the Abreu deal. Also, he had been struggling alot with his defense and striking out way too much, and in A ball at that.

Tigers94's List Of Favorites Teams(With A Reason)

1. Tigers- born 20 mins. away from Detroit, lived in MI my whole life

2. Angels- Favorite team to play with in Baseball Mogul 2007

3. Mets- Just like logo, don't care how they do

4. A's- just like them for some reason

• 1 month later...

weirdet occurneced in the world series: (not in order)

1. brandon inge runs into rolen

2. how many pitcher errors can you have?!

3. jeff weaver... ace?!

4. after looking at a disputable strike call, pujols tries to flip and catch his bat in disgust; misses

5. McCarver, game 5: "It's like a yoga class in this ballpark: don't forget to breathe"

List of Things Krawhitham can not do:

1. Gain understanding of women.

2. Make it rain when he wants it to

3. Say Bad words about Barry Larkin and mean it

4. Play Professional Baseball

Any others?

Kill Uncle Mo

In my youth I had more *** than most rock stars, true things have slowed down now that I'm getting older, but I can settle for just 3 women at a time.

want to bet?

Larkin got injured too much in his career

If not for that car wreck :(

Archived