How to cool down a CPU

ronmexico

I installed a new processor (Intel T7400) for my Inspiron E1405. I have been getting quite hot temperatures, like 60 and 70 degrees celcius. I was wondering, since this is a mobile processor, is there anyway that I can cool it down without slowing it down?

Close your door to where your room is, close the air vent that is letting heat into the room, maybe open a window in the middle of this fine cold winter, put a dang jacket on and there you go.

That's nice thinking. Once I used a house-circulator fan with the cover off the computer. It worked for a while but the overheating returned. In the end I got a new CPU and fan for Xmas, and this computer is still chugging.

That's nice thinking. Once I used a house-circulator fan with the cover off the computer. It worked for a while but the overheating returned. In the end I got a new CPU and fan for Xmas, and this computer is still chugging.

Was this story for a laptop or a PC? PC I'm guessing, right?

i think we had talked about something like this months ago. anyhow, from my experience (i'm assuming laptop here), the cooling pads don't really work that well. if it was AC, then it might be effective, except the moisture of course. the reason for this is because it sits on a flat surface and a fan just merely blows the hot air back and forth to and from the laptop, not really helping much. the most effective thing i've used, and continue to use is this monitor stand. it's a metal stand with holes in it. it seems to allow the heat to circulate underneath much better. i haven't tried using the cooling pad underneath it yet, as i have not needed to. my theory is that this monitor stand just merely allows the air to breath, instead of just being pushed into the table or cooling pad, and then right back into the laptop. anyhow, this has been the most effective and inexpensive way i've had to use for this problem.

i guess if you really wanted to maximize, i would also try putting a small fan next to the laptop to help circulate more air.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived