What I Should Have Done...

sfgiantsflgators

Two months into the season, what do you see as the Giants biggest need?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• There is no pressing need
    • Another power bat
    • Veteran reliever
    • Everyday third baseman

time to up your hitting sliders methinks.

Or the Dodger pitching staff is really that good :p

it's going to take a few more games like that for me to consider that - i simply just can't read pitches right now. it's cliche, but everything literally looks like a BB.

and we both know it's not the Bums staff - those games were complete flukes. let me at 'em again!

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

giantsdynastybannercd0.png

April 27, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitcherpr3.jpg

Starting Lineup:

lineupnv6.jpg

PHOENIX, Ariz. – What a difference a week makes.

After winning three in a row and taking two of three from Arizona last week, the Giants have since been

swept by Los Angeles and risk falling below .500 for the first time in 2007 with a loss.

In the middle of a four-game skid, the Giants offense has struggled immensely and has been held

scoreless for 23 consecutive innings. They have been held to just one hit in each of the last two games.

“If we don’t start hitting soon,†said Bruce Bochy on KNBR this morning, “things are going to change.

We’ll see what happens tonight; but we have to start putting up some runs in support of our pitchers.â€

One of those changes could come at the top of the order as Randy Winn - who started off on fire - has

significantly cooled, going just 2-18 with zero RBI in the last five games.

With hopes of turning it around, the Giants send out 3-0 Noah Lowry. Undefeated on the season, Lowry

has posted a 2.30 ERA. In his last outing, Lowry allowed three runs on eight hits in 7.2 innings of work

as the Giants won 4-3 over Arizona. At Chase Field in his career, Lowry is 3-0 with a 2.37 ERA in three

starts.

Arizona counters with Doug Davis, who has yet to win in 2007. (But two of the last three pitchers San

Francisco has faced have been winless until after they faced the Giants; so that isn’t a big concern for

Davis or Arizona).

Davis faced San Francisco on April 21, allowing four runs on seven hits in seven innings in a losing effort.

First pitch is scheduled for 6:40pm MST.

April 27, 2007

Feliz Homers Twice but Giants Lose Fifth Straight on Clark's

Walkoff

427endjg8.jpg

1bondsfy4.jpg

Barry Bonds watches a two-run home run by Tony Clark in the bottom of the first inning. Clark would

make another appearance later in the game.

2felex4.jpg3felkk9.jpg

Pedro Feliz ended the Giants 27-inning scoreless streak in the fifth inning with the first of his two home

runs on the night (left). His second home run of the game brought the Giants to within one, 3-2 (right).

4vizjz9.jpg

Omar Vizquel did his thing in the bottom of the eighth, robbing Carlos Quentin of a hit with a spectac-

ular diving catch for the second out of the inning.

5swebn9.jpg

Mark Sweeney, in for Lance Niekro, came through with a pinch-hit single in the top of the ninth, plating

Omar Vizquel to tie the game 3-3.

6clabs8.jpg7giads5.jpg

But Sweeney's single would be forgotten after Tony Clark hit his second home run of the game, this

time in walkoff fashion off Steve Kline, to send Arizona home with a 4-3 victory (left). The Giants dugout

shows their frustration after Clark's second home run extended their losing streak to five games.

Scoring

B1: Clark two run HR

T5: Feliz solo HR

B6: Byrnes double scores Quentin

T7: Feliz solo HR

T9: Sweeney single scores Vizquel

B9: Clark solo HR

W – Carrasco (2-2) L – Kline (1-1)

Game Notes:

Tony Clark is 6-19 (.316) with a double, four home runs, and seven RBI in four games against the

Giants so far in 2007.

Player of the Game:

Tony Clark 2-4, 2 HR (GW), 3 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

April 28, 2007

Projected Starting Pitchers:

pitcherszp7.jpg

Projected Starting Lineup:

lineuplf2.jpg

PHOENIX, Ariz. – It’s safe to say the San Francisco Giants just can’t catch a break.

After being held to one hit – and shutout – in each of their previous two games, the Giants appeared

to be getting back on track as Pedro Feliz hit two home runs and the Giants entered the ninth tied 3-3.

But as quickly as Giants fans started to feel a twinge of hope, Tony Clark nixed their faith with a walk-

off home run to hand San Francisco their fifth straight loss. Earlier today, Bruce Bochy hinted that

change was on the way:

“It’s early, so technically there’s no need to panic. However, losing five straight, all against division

rivals, isn’t good at any point in the season. So I might have to tweak the lineup a bit and see if I can

stir something up.â€

Help could come in the form of Todd Linden, who is expected to return from the disabled list in two days.

“I feel great,†said Linden on KNBR this morning. “The groin is 100%. As soon as my DL stint is up, I’ll

be ready to go. It’s been tough seeing the last few games without being able to help. I can’t wait to

get back on that field.â€

Before that happens though, the Giants will have to continue to plug away in hopes of breaking the

slump. Matt Morris will take the hill today looking to do just that. In his last outing, Morris took a no-

decision, allowing two runs on seven hits while striking out five versus the D-Backs on April 22. This

season, Morris is 1-2 with a 3.72 ERA.

At Chase Field, Morris is 4-2 with a 3.59 ERA in eight appearances (six starts).

Opposing Morris is 2006 NL Cy Young Award winner Brandon Webb. So far in 2007, Webb is 1-0 with

a 4.00 ERA. Webb also started that April 22 game, allowing two runs on five hits in a six-inning no-

decision effort.

First pitch is scheduled for 6:40pm MST.

April 28, 2007

Could EME be Poised for a Jump?

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. - Rumors circulating around AT&T Park today indicate that a move could be made soon to call up prospect Eddy Martinez-Esteve. EME has been praised for his ability to hit, with quite a few scouts rating his hitting ability as "major-league ready." However, EME has struggled on defense as an outfielder in his professional career.

Due to those struggles as an outfielder, EME has recently been seeing time at first base; including being played solely at first with Fresno so far this season. He has yet to make an error in 60 total chances.

More importantly, he has continued to hit well, batting .304 on the season with eight RBI and an on-base percentage of 360.

The indications are that Travis Ishikawa will be sent down to make room for EME. Ishikawa has struggled thus far in 2007, hitting just .130 with an OBP of .211.

Giants officials had no comment.

April 28, 2007

Lincecum Picks Up First Career Victory, Giants Break Five-Game

Skid with Eleventh Inning Victory

428endca4.jpg

1vizrz0.jpg

Second baseman Brad Nahan looks on as Omar Vizquel trips up Arizona shortstop Scott Hairston to

break up a potential double-play ball from Rich Aurilia in the first inning.

2thompxd9.jpg

Rich Thompson slides home on a sacrifice fly by Tony Clark in the bottom of the seventh. It was the

first run of the ballgame as both starting pitchers, Matt Morris for the Giants and Brandon Webb for the

D-Backs, held their opposition scoreless for over six innings. Neither would factor into the decision.

3ishyw7.jpg

Travis Ishikawa continued to struggle, going 1-5 with three strikeouts on the night. Here, he strikes

out with one out and Randy Winn on third in the top of the ninth.

4fradx2.jpg

Kevin Frandsen picked Ishikawa up though, singling to left to score Winn, tying the game 1-1.

5lewuf7.jpg

Fred Lewis drew a walk from Jorge Julio with the bases loaded, scoring Travis Ishikawa (who singled

to lead off the inning) for what would prove to be the game-winning run.

6hairhi3.jpg

Scott Hairston grounds into a 6-4-3 double play to end the game, stopping the Giants five-game skid

and giving young hurler Tim Lincecum his first major league victory.

Scoring

B7: Clark sacrifice fly scores Thompson

T9: Frandsen single scores Winn

T11: Lewis walks, Ishikawa scores

W – Lincecum (1-2) L – Julio (1-1)

Player of the Game:

Kevin Frandsen 3-4, RBI, IBB

For Boxscore, click here

April 29, 2007

EME Gets the Call, Joins Giants in the Desert

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. - It looks like the rumors circulating around the Bay Area yesterday were true as the San Francisco Giants announced today that Eddy Martinez-Esteve arrived in Arizona overnight to join the big league squad.

"It's a great opportunity," said the 23-year old Miami native. "It's what I've dreamed of my whole life. I know it's going to be difficult at times, but I look foward to contributing to the team."

To make room for EME, Travis Ishikawa was sent down to Fresno. Ishikawa has struggled this season, hitting just .135 in 74 AB.

"He showed me a lot," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy, "but he still needs work on the offensive side of the ball. I definitely see potential there. He'll be back."

Bochy wouldn't say one way or the other if EME would start tonight, but Martinez-Esteve arrived late last night and is available if needed.

April 29, 2007

Projected Starting Pitchers:

429startjx7.jpg

Projected Starting Lineup:

lineupki7.jpg

Sanchez's Last Outing:

6.1 IP, 10 H, 5 R, 1 K, 1 BB (Loss to Dodgers)

Sanchez vs. Arizona:

2 G, 1 GS

0-1, 2.57 ERA

7 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 3 K, 2 BB

Sanchez at Chase Field:

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 K, 1 BB

Dustin Nippert has never faced the Giants.

First pitch is scheduled for 1:40pm MST.

April 29, 2007

Two Runs All Giants Need to Take Rubber Match in Arizona

429endul8.jpg

1lewqb5.jpg

Fred Lewis goes five-hole on Arizona hurler Dustin Nippert for a single in the top of the third inning.

Lewis would later score the first of two third inning runs on a sacrifice fly by Randy Winn.

4krykh7.jpg

Dave Krynzel is gunned down at home by Fred Lewis in the bottom of the third for the last out of the

inning.

5traqb2.jpg

Fred Lewis struck again in the bottom of the sixth, laying out to rob Chad Tracy of a hit.

7nahdo6.jpg

Brad Nahan made what could have been a costly mistake in the bottom of the seventh as he got too

greedy on an errant pickoff attempt by Jonathan Sanchez. The ball got past first baseman Mark Swee-

ney and bounded down the wall into right field. Right fielder Dan Ortmeier picked it up and threw it to

Omar Vizquel, who relayed it to Rich Aurilia who tagged Nahan for the last out of the inning. Conor

Jackson was left standing at the bat.

8emelc9.jpg

Eddy Martinez-Esteve made his major league debut in a pinch-hit appearance for Jonathan Sanchez in

the top of the eighth. The 23-year old grounded sharply down the first-base line, but Tony Clark

snagged it and touched first for the out.

9linta9.jpg

Tim Lincecum picked up his sixth save of the season (and career) with a 12-pitch ninth inning. Lincecum

allowed a single to Chad Tracy and struck out two in the frame.

Scoring

T3: Winn sacrifice fly scores Lewis; Sweeney single scores Vizquel

W – Sanchez (2-2) L – Nippert (0-3) S - Lincecum (6)

Player of the Game:

Jonathan Sanchez 7 IP, 8 H, O R, 1 K

For Boxscore, click here

You know, when I first read the title, I didnt pay much attention to it, thinking it might have been a question thread......lol But getting a chance to peek in, its pretty good, and sorry I didnt stop buy sooner. I missed out on alot of action already, but I read up, so its all good now...lol

Carry on then.......Im right behind ya, following along :)

You know, when I first read the title, I didnt pay much attention to it, thinking it might have been a question thread......lol But getting a chance to peek in, its pretty good, and sorry I didnt stop buy sooner. I missed out on alot of action already, but I read up, so its all good now...lol

Carry on then.......Im right behind ya, following along :)

well thanks for finally dropping in :D

hope you enjoy your stay!

Looks like Walker, Schierholtz and Begg and are having good seasons so far :)

there are a couple players that could be given an opportunity soon.

Begg will probably get bumped to Fresno soon to see how he handles it...and Knoedler could have a good story developing if he continues to hit like he is and Alfonzo keeps struggling.

stay tuned :D

there are a couple players that could be given an opportunity soon.

Begg will probably get bumped to Fresno soon to see how he handles it...and Knoedler could have a good story developing if he continues to hit like he is and Alfonzo keeps struggling.

stay tuned :D

You know I will :)

Archived