What I Should Have Done...

sfgiantsflgators

Two months into the season, what do you see as the Giants biggest need?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• There is no pressing need
    • Another power bat
    • Veteran reliever
    • Everyday third baseman

April 21, 2007

League Injuries:

ARI 2B Orlando Hudson was placed on the 15 day DL with a separated shoulder. He is expected almost two months.

MIN C Joe Mauer is day-to-day with a fractured nose after being hit by a pitch in yesterday's game.

Reminder: The minor leagues will not work - and only the Giants player pages are active.

For Current League Information, click here.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff, I'm following.

Also, as per your last game versus Arizona, you gotta love an outfielder making a game-deciding error at second base.

Thanks for checking in :D

I like that screenshot a lot too - probably one of my favorites I've taken so far.

As for DaVanon, I thought that was pretty weird too - guess they didn't plan on any infielder injuries this early in the season.

If I may be a bit anal for a second - for anyone checking in that is interested in scoring baseball - it couldn't be classified as an error since he did get the out at second (which I should have noted) and since you can't assume the double play in that situation (only when the receiver...ie, first baseman...drops a perfect throw can you assume such). So unfortunately for the pitcher, it's an earned run.

The error posted on the scoreboard was by the shortstop earlier in the game. :D

EDIT:

did a quick check on DaVanon - he has played four games at first and one game at second in his professional career...all five of which were in 1996 with West Michigan (Oakland A's affiliate at the time). that's the only infield he has ever played. small tidbit - West Michigan won the Midwest League Championship that season.

What are the odds, I mention something about a guy in your dynasty breaking a nose, and then in my Dynasty tonight, Mark Prior gets hits in the nose by a linedrive. He had such a good game going, too. No hits through 4+, 6 Ks.

If things like that are going to start happening, Mauer better watch himself as ST starts tonight...

Some news:

This dynasty was almost dealt a major blow this morning as my computer sparked, smoked, then shut off. Basically trying to burn my house down.

Initial reports from the computer guy are that the power supply and a fan on the motherboard fried - but that it booted up for him when he connected a working power supply. So he should be able to install a new fan and power supply by tomorrow, hopefully letting me continue as soon as Thursday night.

Keep those fingers crossed...

If I may be a bit anal for a second - for anyone checking in that is interested in scoring baseball - it couldn't be classified as an error since he did get the out at second (which I should have noted) and since you can't assume the double play in that situation (only when the receiver...ie, first baseman...drops a perfect throw can you assume such). So unfortunately for the pitcher, it's an earned run.

The error posted on the scoreboard was by the shortstop earlier in the game.

EDIT:

did a quick check on DaVanon - he has played four games at first and one game at second in his professional career...all five of which were in 1996 with West Michigan (Oakland A's affiliate at the time). that's the only infield he has ever played. small tidbit - West Michigan won the Midwest League Championship that season.

Man, scoring changes and a little investigative journalism. I love it.

And good luck with your computer.

Thanks for the kind words guys :D

UPDATE:

Called the computer guy on my way home from work last night and he said it should be done today. Even said he was going to run tests, scans, etc. to clean up the drives and such just for the heck of it.

So we should be back up and running soon...looks like a bullet was dodged.

*knock on wood*

Always good news when *we* can "dodge a bullet." By the way, when you mention the "computer guy," do you mean he is a friend or do you take it to a retail store? In case I run into problems with computers, I always like to know who people go to.

Always good news when *we* can "dodge a bullet." By the way, when you mention the "computer guy," do you mean he is a friend or do you take it to a retail store? In case I run into problems with computers, I always like to know who people go to.

It's an actual computer dude - Entire Computer Solutions in Overland Park, KS. If, in fact, everything is fixed today, they'll definitely be my "computer guy" of choice in the future.

The graphics look superb on your system. I am enjoying seeing my parks in the game.

You aren't the only one. Until the Total Conversion Mods MVP 06 and MVP 07 came out as package deals, I specifically looked for stadiums done by Pirate to install. Definitely the best modern stadium modder out there.

giantsdynastybannercd0.png

April 22, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitchersyp1.jpg

Starting Lineup:

lineupsdu1.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – The Giants look to sweep their first three-game series since the opening series

of the season today against the struggling Diamondbacks.

Having won three straight games, the Giants have tied their longest winning streak of the season.

Arizona on the other hand, has lost three straight. A big part of the Giants recent success has been the

offense, scoring 17 runs over the three-game span.

“Balls that weren’t falling last week are starting to find holes now,†said manager Bruce Bochy. “We’re

giving up more runs than I like to see; but with the staff we have I don’t see that being a continuous

problem.â€

Matt Morris will take the mound for the Giants today as they eye the sweep. Morris is 1-2 on the sea-

son with a 4.09 ERA. After starting the season 0-2, Morris went the distance in his last outing, holding

the Rockies to two runs on seven hits on April 17; both runs came in the ninth inning.

“I felt great,†said Morris after yesterday's game. “Hopefully I can build on that outing and help this

team like I know I can.â€

Against the D-Backs in his career, Morris is 4-3 with a 3.30 ERA.

The D-Backs counter with 2006 NL Cy Young Award winner Brandon Webb who has had a rough start

to 2007. Suspended after his first outing for his part in a brawl against the Nationals, he returned after

six games for a start against the Rockies. Two innings in, Webb was hit on the ankle by a line drive

from Jeff Baker forcing him to leave the game early.

“I just can’t catch a break this season,†said manager Bob Melvin. “The ankle feels fine today, so hope-

fully I’ll be able to get this train back on track.â€

In three starts this season, Webb is 1-0 with a 4.50 ERA. Against the Giants in his career, Webb is 7-5

with a 3.32 ERA. At AT&T Park, he is 3-2 with a 2.40 ERA.

First pitch is scheduled for 1:30pm PST. Barry Bonds will not start, but is available to pinch-hit. Dan

Ortmeier will start in left field.

April 22, 2007

Arizona Scores Three In Ninth To Prevent Sweep, Beat Giants

5-3

422endls0.jpg

1claib9.jpg2morsk7.jpg

Matt Morris was effective today, allowing two runs on nine hits in seven innings. But a home run by

Tony Clark (left) in the first inning and another by Rich Thompson in the fourth - both solo jobs - left the

ultra-competitive Morris with a look of disgust on his bearded exterior (right).

3alfrd6.jpg4ortet8.jpg

The Giants collected three doubles on the day, two of which - Eliezer Alfonzo in the first (left) and Dan

Ortmeier in the fifth (right) - drove in runs; and one of which - Omar Vizquel in the eighth (not pictured)

- was followed by a Rich Aurilia single, scoring Vizquel to give the Giants a 3-2 lead.

5bochwg7.jpg

After home plate umpire Jeff Kellogg called a 3-2 offering from Tim Lincecum ball four on a very close

pitch, awarding a two-out, bases-loaded walk to Chad Tracy in the top of the ninth to tie the game 3-3,

Bruce Bochy stormed out of the the dugout and was immediately tossed. He got his money's worth

though, giving Kellogg an earfull for a solid two minutes.

6ariuh2.jpg

With the bases still loaded and the game tied 3-3, Rich Thompson singled off a visibly shaken Tim Lin-

cecum, plating Chris Snyder and Jeff DaVanon to give Arizona a 5-3 lead. After a 1-2-3 bottom of the

ninth, their three-run ninth inning prevented a Giants sweep and ended both Arizona's three-game

skid and the Giants three-game winning streak.

Scoring

T1: Clark solo HR

B1: Alfonzo double scores Vizquel

T5: Thompson solo HR

B5: Ortmeier double scores Lewis

B8: Aurilia single scores Vizquel

T9: Tracy walks, Quentin scores; Thompson single scores Snyder, DaVanon

W – Julio (1-0) L – Lincecum (0-2) S - Carrasco (2)

Player of the Game:

Rich Thompson 2-5, HR, 3 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

Wait how did you get the mvpsavreader to work with Ultimate Rosters? What do I have to do? I still get the error when it gets to the managers.

I honestly don't know - I just fired up SavReader last week and it did it's thing.

For the record, I installed MVP 07 w/the URP option; then used the 07 maker to create my dynasty file in 2007. Haven't added a thing to it.

You really do put in a lot of work with your write-ups. Nice job. Wish I could do the same. Sounds like they are the selling point with any dynasty.

I appreicate the compliment.

For my money, write-ups make it seem more like I'm following a team (in this case, the Giants) through a realistic season. I wish I could continue to do the game recap like I started; but it took almost two hours for each recap...so I had to switch back to my TCM method. Pre-games will still be in the same format though.

Write-ups aren't the only way to handle a dynasty by any means though. I think the dynasty-maker should use their strengths...mine is writing (somewhat anyway). Yours, for instance, seems to be photoshop.

The main thing I've learned in doing a dynasty is to finish it. Sounds easy, but it gets taxing after awhile. But if you get a reputation for finishing the dynasties you start, you'll get more followers because they trust that you'll give them something to follow until the end.

Just my :twocents: :D

April 24, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitchersre9.jpg

Starting Lineup:

lineupsag8.jpg

LOS ANGELES, Cal. – The Giants make their first trip to Chavez Ravine this week as they prepare for a

three-game set against the Bums.

San Francisco and Los Angeles are currently tied for first in the NL West, two and a half games ahead

of Colorado and Arizona. In their previous meeting, a three-game series in San Francisco April 6-8, the

Dodgers took two of three. Two of the three games went extra innings, including a seventeen-inning

marathon that the Giants won 3-2.

“It’s always a thrill to play the Dodgers,†said Barry Bonds in an interview yesterday. “I love going

there. Love to hear the boos.â€

Coming off a disappointing loss to Arizona, the Giants send out young lefty Jonathan Sanchez to face

off against another young hurler, Chad Billingsley. Both were the starters on April 7, the day of the se-

venteen-inning battle.

Sanchez went eight shutout innings on that day, allowing just five hits while striking out three. This

season, Sanchez has posted a 1-1 record with a 2.79 ERA. The loss came in his last outing, a 5.1 inning

effort versus the Cardinals on April 18. He allowed five runs on ten hits in the contest.

Sanchez has pitched just 1.2 innings at Dodger Stadium in his career, all in relief. He has allowed one

run on two hits in that span.

Billingsley went six innings on April 7, allowing one run on three hits while striking out six and walking

three. So far in 2007, Billingsley has yet to pick up a win, posting an 0-1 record with a 7.88 ERA.

First pitch is scheduled for 7:10pm PST.

April 24, 2007

Martin's Grand Slam Propels Bums To 5-1 Win Over Giants

424endla9.jpg

1marca8.jpg

Russell Martin put the Dodgers up 4-0 with one swing of the bat, taking Jonathan Sanchez deep for a

grand slam in the second inning.

2ethvs7.jpg

A single by Choo Freeman in the third plated Andre Ethier, giving the Dodgers a 5-0 lead after three.

3bondvq0.jpg

Jeff Kent (left) and Nomar Garciaparra (right) watch as right-fielder Choo Freeman tries - and fails - to

rob Barry Bonds of a home run in the fourth inning. The solo shot was the only run-scoring play of the

night for the Giants.

4ishwq5.jpg

Even though he has struggled at the plate so far this season, hitting under .200, Travis Ishikawa has

stood out in the field, making spectacular plays nightly. Tonight he made two, one on a hard grounder

by Rafael Furcal in the first and another with a diving stop to rob Chad Billingsley of a two-out hit, sav-

ing a run in the third (pictured).

5billab5.jpg

Chad Billingsley picked up his first win of the season tonight, going 7.2 innings, allowing just one run

on five hits while striking out ten.

6bondug1.jpg

The Giants appeared to be poised for a comeback in the top of the eighth when a walk to Rich Aurilia

brought Barry Bonds to the plate with two on and two outs. But a rare check swing by Bonds connect-

ed with the pitch from Brett Tomko, popping up weakly to mound for the last out.

Scoring

B2: Martin grand slam

B3: Freeman single scores Ethier

T4: Bonds solo HR

W – Billingsley (1-1) L – Sanchez (1-2)

Player of the Game:

Russell Martin 1-4, GS, 4 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

Archived