What I Should Have Done...

sfgiantsflgators

Two months into the season, what do you see as the Giants biggest need?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• There is no pressing need
    • Another power bat
    • Veteran reliever
    • Everyday third baseman

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

giantsdynastybannercd0.png

April 4, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitcherwx1.png

Starting Lineup:

lineupcz2.png

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. - After an Opening Day victory for new Giant Barry Zito, Matt Cain looks to build

on the success he had to end 2006. After struggling to start the 2006 season, Cain turned it on in Au-

gust, going 3-2 with a 2.65 ERA. Starting on August 17, Cain allowed just one earned run over the

course of six starts (33 IP), dropping his overall ERA from 4.70 to 3.75. At just 22 years of age, Cain's

future looks as bright as any and the Giants hope that 2007 will be the year he solidifies himself as the

#1-type pitcher he projects to be.

Cain and the Giants will face off against another hurler trying to make a name for himself when Chris

Young of the Padres takes the mound tonight. Young is five years older than Cain; but at 27, he's still

in position to build a solid career on what was a fantastic 2006 season. Young went 11-5 last season

with a 3.46 ERA. Last year was only Young’s second full season in the majors and the Padres look for

him to continue to build on the success he had.

Cain is 3-0 in five starts against the Padres in his young career, with a miniscule 1.64 ERA and only 15

hits allowed in 33 IP.

Young has yet to beat the Giants in just two starts, posting an 0-1 record with a 4.26 ERA.

First pitch is scheduled for 7:15pm PST.

April 4, 2007

Ishikawa’s First Career Blast One Of Three Solo Shots That Take

Down San Diego

44endsr8.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. - Just 160 more to go...

"Obviously, that's never going to happen," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy after the game. "The sea-

son hasn't even had it's umbilical cord cut yet. It's cliche, but it's true - you just have to take it one

game at a time."

It didn't look like the Giants would go home 2-0 tonight as the offense sputtered early, managing just

a few singles here and there against Padres hurler Chris Young. But, once Travis Ishikawa hit his first

career home run in the sixth inning, the fans were back in it - and so was the Giants dugout.

"It's a great feeling," said Ishikawa. "You dream of doing things like this as a kid. But, the main thing

today is that we guaranteed a series win over a division rival. The milestones are fun - but getting

these wins early will be huge come August and September. We just have to keep plugging away."

The Giants will "keep plugging away" tomorrow night as they go for the sweep of San Diego. First pitch

is scheduled for 7:15pm PST.

1slekt5.png2slewz8.jpg

For the second straight game, Terrmel Sledge led of the game for the Padres with a strikeout. Sledge

got his revenge though when he scored the first run of the game on a double by Brian Giles in the fourth

inning.

3vizze8.jpg4ishte0.png

Omar Vizquel (left) and Travis Ishikawa (right) illustrate that web gems don’t discriminate between

young or old when selecting a host.

5ishox7.jpg6bonqh0.png

The Giants offense finally arrived in the middle innings. After sporadically spraying singles all game,

Giants hitters flipped the power switch – starting with rookie first baseman Travis Ishikawa (left). Ish-

ikawa connected for his first career home run in the sixth inning, bringing the score to 2-1. The next

inning, Omar Vizquel tied the game with a solo shot of his own off Cla Meredith; then, two batters later,

Barry Bonds (right) also took Meredith deep, giving San Francisco a 3-2 lead.

7linyt5.png

For the second straight night, Tim Lincecum entered the game with the outcome on his shoulders.

And for the second straight night, Lincecum showed why the Giants selected him tenth overall in last

year’s amateur draft. Lincecum picked up his second straight save, allowing the Giants to start 2007

2-0 and looking for a sweep.

Scoring

T4: B. Giles double scores Sledge; Cameron single scores B. Giles

B6: Ishikawa solo HR

B7: Vizquel solo HR; Bonds solo HR

W - Kline (1-0) L - Meredith (0-1) S - Lincecum (2)

Player of the Game:

Travis Ishikawa 2-3, 1st career HR, BB, RBI

For Boxscore, click here

April 5, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitchersun2.jpg

Starting Lineup:

lineupgn9.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – The Giants look to start the season off with a sweep tonight as they face the

San Diego Padres in the last game of their first series of 2007.

To do so, however, they will have to defeat future Hall of Famer Greg Maddux.

Maddox comes to San Diego as a free agent, having split the 2006 season between the Cubs and the

hated Dodgers. Maddux pitched 210 inning last season, compiling a 15-14 record with an ERA of 4.20.

True to form, Maddux struck out just 117 hitters but walked only 37.

Against the Giants in his career, Maddux is 26-14 with a 2.96 ERA in 307 IP. At AT&T Park, he is 5-1

with a 2.95.

For the Giants, left-hander Noah Lowry will take the mound in hopes of redeeming himself after a be-

low average 2006. Lowry injured himself just 1.2 innings into his first start last season and never fully

recovered form.

Against the Padres, Lowry is 3-1 with a 3.83 ERA. At AT&T Park, he is 17-13 with a 3.30.

That screenie of Linceum is awesome.

yeah, he's a pretty happy dude there isn't he :D

Where's all the fans? Did they finally turn on Bonds? :D

Just kidding man, great presentation and game.

smart ***. :D and thanks for the compliment.

as for the fans, it's something i started during TCM to fight against the game crashing...and for the most part, it worked - so i've decided to keep it. hopefully it doesn't take away from the dynasty.

thanks for checking in :wtg: recap of the potential sweep upcoming.

April 5, 2007

Winn’s Two Home Run Night Is More Than Enough For Lowry,

Giants To Sweep Padres

45endgp8.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – Who are these guys?

For the third straight night, the Giants have hit more home runs than the night before. On Opening Day,

they managed two off Padres ace Jake Peavy. Last night, Chris Young gave up one and Cla Meredith

surrendered two more. Then tonight, against future Hall of Famer Greg Maddux, Giants hitters blasted

four long balls as they cruised to a 7-2 victory, giving them an early sweep of the division rival Padres.

“I’m not changing a thing,†said Bruce Bochy after the game. “I’m just going to sit back and enjoy this

while in lasts; because, in this game, it can disappear as quickly as it appeared.â€

The usual culprit, Barry Bonds, is there with two of the blasts. And the streaky Randy Winn has been

on fire, collecting three so far – including two tonight. But the surprise of the group is currently Travis

Ishikawa, who is tied with Bonds and has hit .300 through the first three games.

“Last night was memorable because I got the first one out of the way. But I’d be lying if I said I saw

this coming. More importantly though, we enter this weekend’s series with the Bums on a three-game

winning streak. I can’t wait to face off against them.â€

The series with the hated Dodgers begins tomorrow with the first pitch scheduled for 7:15pm PST.

1winhk7.png2bondspe9.png

Things got ugly earlier for Padres hurler Greg Maddux when Randy Winn (left) led off the bottom of the

first with a line drive that skimmed off the top of the left field wall for his first of two home runs on the

night. Three batters later, Barry Bonds (right) hit the first “splash shot†of 2007 for an early 2-0 Giants

lead.

3ishjc2.jpg

Travis Ishikawa hit his second home run in as many nights in the second inning, giving the Giants a

3-0 lead.

5blags3.png

After a walk to Kevin Frandsen plated the sixth Giants run of the contest, Padres manager Bud Black

pulled Greg Maddux. Maddux went 4.2 innings today, allowing six runs on five hits – four of which were

home runs.

6lowsc1.png

Noah Lowry gave Giants fans hope tonight, going eight strong innings, allowing two runs on just four

hits while striking out five and walking no one. Lowry, who struggled with injuries last season, ap-

peared strong to the very end when he got the last batter he faced, Terrmel Sledge, looking on a filthy

changeup.

7lewpm4.jpg

Fred Lewis made his first appearance of 2007 in a pinch-hitting role, coming in to hit for Noah Lowry in

the bottom of the eighth. He took full advantage of the situation, doubling down the left field line to

the pleasure of 40,000 screaming fans.

Scoring

B1: Winn solo HR; Bonds solo HR

B2: Ishikawa solo HR; Winn two run HR

T5: Kouzmanoff solo HR

B5: Frandsen walks, Aurilia scores

T6: B. Giles single scores M. Giles

B6: Bonds single scores Winn

W - Lowry (1-0) L - Maddux (0-1)

Player of the Game:

Randy Winn 3-5, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 3 R

For Boxscore, click here

April 6, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitchersz1.jpg

Starting Lineup:

lineupic0.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – The Bums are coming! The Bums are coming!

Nothing signals the onset of baseball season like the first meeting between the Giants and Dodgers.

The Giants enter the first series against the Dodgers in 2007 riding high and powering – no pun in-

tended – on all cylinders. Having just swept the Padres while hitting a total of nine home runs in the

process, Giants fans are foaming at the mouth to face off against the Dodgers this weekend – espec-

ially knowing that former Giants ace Jason Schmidt is scheduled to pitch the last game of the series.

“Rivalries make sports that much more interesting,†said Bruce Bochy on KNBR this morning. “I’ve ex-

perienced the division rivalries before – but since last night I’ve heard nothing but ‘Beat LA’ from people

around town. I never realized it was this intense. I’m excited to get this underway.â€

So is the rest of San Francisco Bruce.

Tonight, the Dodgers send out new Bum Randy Wolf. Wolf’s career started in 1999 and, until now, he

has only pitched with Philadelphia. He is 4-3 against the Giants with a 4.01 ERA in eight career starts.

He has yet to win at AT&T Park, posting an 0-2 record with a 6.00 ERA in three starts.

The Giants will counter with veteran hurler Matt Morris. Like last night’s pitcher, Noah Lowry, Morris is

coming off a sub-par year in which he battled injuries throughout. But Morris refused to use that as an

excuse. The Giants hope that an offseason of rest has allowed Morris to heal and will allow him to solid-

ify himself as their #4 guy.

In his career against the Dodgers, Morris is 3-5 with a 5.40 ERA in eleven career starts. At AT&T Park,

Morris has compiled a 6-9 record with a 4.36 ERA in 19 starts.

It's funny, in my recently started Dodgers dynasty, I just played this game, Wolf vs. Morris. Final score? 17-7, Giants. They had 28 freekin' hits against me. I couldn't stop anyone. Wolf's final line: 2 innings, 9 ernies. It was not a pretty game.

Anyways, you know the best thing about this dynasty? We all know you'll follow through and keep it updated until the very end.

A giants dynasty just in time for Spring Training. I will be following. Go Giants!

thanks for checking in...enjoy! :D

It's funny, in my recently started Dodgers dynasty, I just played this game, Wolf vs. Morris. Final score? 17-7, Giants. They had 28 freekin' hits against me. I couldn't stop anyone. Wolf's final line: 2 innings, 9 ernies. It was not a pretty game.

Atta boys G-men...put it on those bums! Little bit of pressure now for me not to get pounded.

Anyways, you know the best thing about this dynasty? We all know you'll follow through and keep it updated until the very end.

Speaking of pressure... :joystick:

Enjoy it!

I'm gonna put this on the first page too; but I'll start it here:

A good portion of TCM was played when I was on a month-long vacation from work - so there were a couple of games a day usually. Now though, M-F is pretty busy...go to work, eat dinner, work out - by then it's about bedtime (especially on Monday nights when 24 is on) :D

In a nutshell, the dynasty will get finished as kg alluded too...but you gotta be a tad patient with me and just keep checking in :wtg:

April 6, 2007

Wolf Falls Short Of Perfection, Settles For Two-Hit Shutout Of

Giants

46endrh7.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – They say every squirrel will eventually get a nut – and sometimes, even the

most average squirrel will strike “nutty†gold.

Tonight, Randy Wolf almost became that lucky “average squirrel.†Perfect through 8.1 innings, Wolf fin-

ally slipped – if only for a second – hanging a slider to Bengie Molina that the Giants catcher was able

to line into left for a clean single.

“I’ll admit, I didn’t know which way was up in the ninth inning,†said Wolf in his postgame conference.

“I seriously didn’t know what was going on until I got in the dugout after the eighth. I knew I had a

lot of strikeouts; but had no idea about the extent of the situation.â€

After sweeping the Padres to start the season, it was inevitable that the Giants slip up. But no one

expected that Randy Wolf would flirt with history.

It just goes to show how any one day in baseball can produce spectacular results. What will happen

tomorrow? First pitch is scheduled for 6:05pm PST. Show up to find out!

1mormn1.png

Matt Morris’ day was rough from the beginning. The first batter of the game, Juan Pierre, lined the

second pitch right back at Morris for a single. Pierre would score on a single by Jeff Kent for an early

1-0 Dodgers lead.

2bumsjg3.png

The Dodgers added two more runs in the second inning on back-to-back shots by Russell Martin and

Andre Ethier (pictured). With Randy Wolf’s performance tonight, it would be more than enough offense.

3wolfxw8.png4felrn5.png

(Left) Randy Wolf fell just two outs short of perfection today, settling for a two-hit shutout in the end.

(Right) Pedro Feliz becomes victim number nine - of seventeen - in the fifth inning. Wolf struck out the

side in the fifth, punching out Barry Bonds and Kevin Frandsen as well.

5molbk3.jpg

Randy Wolf’s bid for perfection ended with one out in the bottom of the ninth when Giants catcher

Bengie Molina singled over the head of Dodgers third baseman Wilson Betemit. The Giants would load

the bases with a single by Randy Winn and a walk by Omar Vizquel…

6alflk4.jpg

…but the game would end when Randy Wolf got pinch-hitter Eliezer Alfonzo with a curveball for his

seventeenth strikeout of the contest.

Scoring

T1: Kent single scores Pierre

T2: Martin solo HR; Ethier solo HR

T7: Betemit solo HR

W - Wolf (1-0) L - Morris (0-1)

Player of the Game:

Randy Wolf 9 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 17 K

For Boxscore, click here

April 6, 2007

Divisional Games

Arizona Diamondbacks (2-3) 1, Washington Nationals (3-2) 7

Colorado Rockies (2-2) 6, San Diego Padres (0-4) 1

League Injuries

NYY 1B Doug Mientkiewicz was placed on the 60-day DL with a torn rotator cuff.

KC über-prospect Billy Butler was placed on the 15-day DL with a PCL sprain.

April 7, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

47pitcherswl5.jpg

Starting Lineup:

47lineupoj5.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – The Giants look to rebound tonight after being shutdown by Dodgers hurler

Randy Wolf to the tune of two hits and no runs. Wolf was stellar last night, taking a perfect game into

the ninth inning and finishing the game with seventeen strikeouts.

Tonight features two up and coming prospects in the form of Chad Billingsley and Jonathan Sanchez.

Both hurlers made appearances in the majors last season; Billingsley pitched 90 innings while Sanchez

threw 40.

The Dodgers chose Billingsley with their first pick in 2003. He was ranked the second best overall pros-

pect and the top pitching prospect in the Florida State League in 2004; between Vero Beach and Jack-

sonville, Billingsley went 11-4 with a 2.55 ERA while striking out 162 in 134 innings.

Sanchez was a 27th round pick by the Giants in 2004 and has risen quickly through the system. In 2005,

he led the South Atlantic League in strikeouts with 166; which was only two strikeouts more than the

second place pitcher – but Sanchez threw 26 less innings (125.2). Sanchez was called up in May of 2006

after spending just a short time at Double-A Connecticut and joins a slew of young arms in the Giants

system that are fighting for spots on the big league roster.

At least for these two prospects, the future is now - and it starts at 6:05pm PST.

April 7, 2007

Aurilia Takes Schmidt Deep To End Seventeen Inning Marathon

47endvv1.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – With one out in the bottom of the seventeenth, former Giants ace Jason Sch-

midt faced off against second-tour Giants infielder Rich Aurilia, with chants of “Beat L.A.†ringing

throughout the stadium. And the fans went home happy.

Almost four hours earlier though, two young hurlers faced off as Chad Billingsley and Jonathan Sanchez

looked to open the 2007 season on a positive note. Sanchez cruised through the top of the first,

throwing just eight pitches in a 1-2-3 inning.

Billingsley slipped up immediately in his half, surrendering a solo shot to the red-hot Randy Winn on

the second pitch of the at bat. Billingsley wouldn’t make another mistake though, holding the Giants

to just two hits through six innings of work, before leaving the game with an apparent side injury while

pitching to Barry Bonds in the seventh inning.

Unfortunately for Billingsley, Sanchez never slipped, holding the Dodgers scoreless through eight inn-

ings while allowing just five hits and striking out three. Sanchez was then lifted for another Giants

prospect - their first overall pick in 2006 and new closer - Tim Lincecum. Lincecum picked up his first two

major league saves in the Giants first two games this season, but hadn’t been used since.

But every closer has “one of those days†– and today was Tim Lincecum’s turn as he blew his first save

and the Giants slim 1-0 lead was quickly erased by a Jeff Kent home run to put the Dodgers up 2-1.

Randy Winn would strike again though, blasting his second home run of the game – and his fifth of the

season – to tie the game 2-2 and send the teams into extra innings.

“I have no idea what is going on,†said Winn. “Every pitch I see looks like it’s coming in slow motion.

Hopefully I can ride this for awhile.â€

As is the case in extra innings, bullpens become extra busy and the cabinet door is opened. But while

the Dodgers sent out four different pitchers to finish the game tonight – and warmed up three more –

the Giants got stellar efforts from just two hurlers, the story being Brad Hennessey.

Hennessey came in to pitch in the top of the thirteenth and went five innings, allowing just two hits

while striking out five; keeping the Giants offense alive as the Dodgers pen put up an equal effort –

until Schmidt came out to pitch the seventeenth.

Schmidt made his Dodgers debut at AT&T Park in the bottom of the fifteenth; and every time Schmidt

moved, Giants fans showered him with nothing but boos. But, as he continued to shutdown the Giants

through his first two innings of work (striking out three in the process), it seemed as if the game would

go on into the early morning hours.

But, as sea gulls continued to protest the delay of their postgame feast, Rich Aurilia strolled to the

plate to face off against his former teammate.

“Schmitty is great,†said Aurilia while sitting at his locker after the game. “He’s one of my favorite form-

er teammates. But all that disappears when the game’s on the line.â€

On a 2-2 pitch, Aurilia greeted Schmidt the best he knew how – and the rest is history. As Schmidt

walked off the field, the chants of “Beat L.A.†continued – and the Giants fans that stuck through it all

were treated to a tip of the cap by their former ace.

“I love these fans,†said Schmidt. “The boos? That’s what this rivalry is about. Games like this? That’s

what makes baseball great. I lost today – but tomorrow starts anew.â€

How will these teams respond tomorrow? First pitch is at 1:05pm PST – show up to find out!

1winnaj0.jpg

No one’s hotter right now than Randy Winn, and he showed it in his first at bat tonight, blasting his

fourth home run of the season over the left field wall for an early 1-0 Giants lead. He wasn’t done though…

2billnd5.jpg3sanen4.jpg

Both young hurlers pitched well today; but an early mistake by Chad Billingsley (left) looked like it might

be the difference as Jonathan Sanchez (right) shutout the Dodgers through eight strong innings.

4bondsky2.jpg5linay2.jpg

(Left) Barry Bonds watches Jeff Kent’s two run home run in the top of the ninth just squeeze by on the

fair side of the foul pole, giving Los Angeles a 2-1 lead. (Right) Kent’s home run gave the tenth overall

pick of 2006, Tim Lincecum, his first blown save.

6winnjf2.jpg

But Randy Winn responded, tying the game 2-2 with a solo shot in the bottom of the ninth, sending

the game into extra innings.

7aurnw1.jpg8schwy2.jpg

(Left) Rich Aurilia and Randy Winn celebrate Aurilia’s walkoff home run and a Giants 3-2 victory. (Right)

Jason Schmidt reacts after giving up the game-winning blast to Aurilia.

Scoring

B1: Winn solo HR

T9: Kent two run HR

B9: Winn solo HR

B17: Aurilia solo HR

W - Hennessey (1-0) L - Schmidt (0-1)

Game Notes:

Chad Billingsley left in the seventh inning with an apparent rib injury. X-rays after the game were neg-

ative...Omar Vizquel went 0-7 tonight with 5 strikeouts...Kevin Frandsen and Rich Aurilia both got their

first hits of the season tonight...All the Dodgers starting position players got a hit except Andre Ethier,

who went 0-7 with 3 strikeouts.

Player of the Game:

Rich Aurilia 3-6, GW HR, RBI, BB

For Boxscore, click here

April 7, 2007

Divisional Games

Arizona Diamondbacks (3-3) 3, Washington Nationals (3-3) 2

Colorado Rockies (3-2) 3, San Diego Padres (0-5) 2 (14 inn.)

League Injuries

LAD SP Chad Billingsley is day-to-day with a sprained ribcage.

League Suspensions

ARI SP Brandon Webb has been suspended for six games.

DET SP Mike Maroth has been suspended for one game.

Archived