What I Should Have Done...

sfgiantsflgators

Two months into the season, what do you see as the Giants biggest need?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• There is no pressing need
    • Another power bat
    • Veteran reliever
    • Everyday third baseman

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is like the best dinasty i've seen

sorry if i'm 'copying' some of your stuff (like the sign) but i really like your style and dinasty, and of course i'm following it

thanks for the compliment. :D

as long as you don't make a carbon copy of mine, feel free to use it for ideas. thanks for checking in and have fun!

giantsdynastybannercd0.png

April 9, 2007

Four-Play: Giants Plate Four In Fourth, Improve To 4-0 Against

Padres Despite Just Four Hits With 4-1 Win

49endtk3.jpg

SAN DIEGO, Cal. – The Padres just can’t catch a break.

Losers of their first six games, San Diego looked to Chris Young in hopes of stopping their skid; but,

after a four run inning by the Giants, those hopes faded fast.

Chris Young was plagued with control problems today, surrendering five walks before leaving the game

in the sixth inning with shoulder pain.

“The shoulder’s tender,†said Padres manager Bud Black. “An MRI will be performed tomorrow. As for

now though, we’re going to take is slow. It’s too early in the season to take a chance.â€

Four of Young’s walks came in the fourth inning, where Young walked the bases loaded with one out;

then walked Rich Aurilia to force in the Giants first run. The flood gates opened after that as a double

by Barry Bonds and a single by Todd Linden put San Francisco up 4-0.

And with the way Matt Cain pitched tonight, that was plenty for the Giants. Cain went 7.1 innings in

the contest, allowing just one run on eight hits while striking out four. After taking a line drive off the

leg in the eighth, Cain allowed three straight one out singles before being lifted for veteran reliever

Steve Kline.

“I’m fine,†said Cain after the game. “There’s a decent sized bruise, but nothing serious. I’ll be ready

for my next start.â€

Kline came in and held the Padres to just one run on a sacrifice fly by Brian Giles to maintain a safe

lead for the Giants. Kline would finish the game for his first save of 2007, making the Giants 4-0 against

San Diego so far this season.

The Giants look to continue their early dominance of San Diego tomorrow night at PETCO Park, with

the first pitch scheduled for 7:05pm PST.

1aursy7.jpg

Rich Aurilia heads to first with a bases loaded walk, scoring Travis Ishikawa for an early 1-0 lead.

2bondshu1.jpg

Mike Cameron comes up short on a diving attempt on a line drive by Barry Bonds in the fourth, allow-

ing Bengie Molina and Randy Winn to score.

3cainlg8.jpg

Matt Cain was solid today, allowing just one run in 7.1 innings. Here he strikes out Josh Bard in the

seventh to record his fourth and final strikeout of the game.

4cainou7.jpg

The Giants got a scare in the eighth when Khalil Greene lined a pitch off Matt Cain’s leg. Cain recover-

ed and threw out Greene at first before rubbing his thigh. Giants trainer Dave Groeschner and Bruce

Bochy rushed out to check on the young hurler; but Cain was left in. He surrendered hits to the next

three batters before being pulled in favor of Steve Kline.

5klipb4.jpg6bardhl4.jpg

(Left) Steve Kline was perfect for 1.2 innings – and that’s all the Giants needed him for as he finished

the game in relief of Matt Cain for his first save of 2007. (Right) Josh Bard strikes out to end the game,

keeping the Padres winless on the season.

Scoring

T3: Aurilia walks, Ishikawa scores; Bonds double scores Molina, Winn; Linden single scores Aurilia

B8: B. Giles sacrifice fly scores Bowen

W – Cain (1-0) L - Young (0-1) S – Kline (1)

Game Notes:

Padres starter Chris Young left the game in the top of the sixth after throwing a 1-2 pitch to Bengie Mo-

lina. Doug Brocail came in and struck out Molina on one pitch. An MRI is scheduled for Young tomorrow.

Player of the Game:

Matt Cain 7.1 IP, 8 H, 1 R, 4 K

For Boxscore, click here

April 9, 2007

Divisional Games

Colorado Rockies (4-3) 4, Los Angeles Bums (4-3) 7

Cincinnati Reds (4-3) 2, Arizona Diamondbacks (3-5) 1

League Injuries

SD SP Chris Young is day-to-day with an inflamed right shoulder.

MIN RF Rondell White was placed on the 15-day DL with major wrist tendonitis.

CHC RP Ryan Dempster is day-to-day with shin splints.

How long does it usually take for you to write a game preview and a game recap? The game recap takes a bit of time for me to write. And what do you look at when writing your recaps - just the box scores? Take care.

Average time for a game recap is probably about 40 minutes. The seventeen inning game took over an hour - a 2-1 or 1-0 game might take less. Usually posting the dynasty takes much longer than the actual game does - you just have to stick with it.

As for what I look for, I just think about what happened during the game such as turning points, great plays, etc., and try to piece a recap together. I do it for a living, so it's something I've had practice with; making it somewhat easier. Whether or not I'm good at it though is a different story. :D

As for what I look for, I just think about what happened during the game such as turning points, great plays, etc., and try to piece a recap together. I do it for a living, so it's something I've had practice with; making it somewhat easier. Whether or not I'm good at it though is a different story. :D

Oh. I didn't know that. Are you a column writer for some newspaper or magazine, if you don't mind me asking?

April 10, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitchersew7.jpg

Starting Lineup:

lineupbj6.jpg

SAN DIEGO, Cal. – The Giants continued their winning ways against division rival San Diego last night

with a 4-1 victory in San Diego. The Padres are now 0-7 on the season.

“It happens to everybody,†Giants – and former Padres – manager Bruce Bochy said earlier today. “I

know the character of those guys over there and they aren’t taking this lying down. When they do get

their first win this year, watch out – they’re liable to win 10 in a row after that. I’m just hoping we can

get out of town before that happens.â€

The Padres did get some good news today, however, as the MRI on starting pitcher Chris Young’s

shoulder came back negative. Young left last night’s game in the sixth inning with a sharp pain in his

pitching shoulder but is just day-to-day with shoulder inflammation.

Today, the Padres look to future Hall of Famer Greg Maddux to stop their seven-game skid. Maddux

struggled in his first game this season, allowing six runs on five hits in 4.2 innings against the Giants

on April 5. Of the five hits Maddux allowed, four were home runs.

The Giants counter with another young arm in the form of Noah Lowry. Lowry held the Padres to two

runs on just four hits in eight innings of work on April 5.

First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm PST tonight.

April 10, 2007

Winn’s Three Home Run Night Wasted As Giants Fall In Ten To

Padres, 5-4

410endhf7.jpg

SAN DIEGO, Cal. – The Padres are winless no more.

It took extra innings, but the San Diego Padres were able to end their seven-game losing streak with

a 5-4 victory over the Giants tonight at PETCO Park, despite a three home run game by San Francisco

center fielder Randy Winn – giving him eight home runs on the season.

“I’m seeing everything extremely well right now,†said Winn. “It’s all clicking for me. But none of that

matters if we can’t get the victory. It was just one of those nights though; you knew the Padres weren’t

going to stay down for long. They’re too good of a team. Hopefully we can come back tomorrow and

take the series.â€

Both teams went back and forth through the first three innings, tying the game 2-2 going into the four-

th. All the runs in the first three innings came on solo home runs.

The Giants took a 3-2 lead in the fourth and added one more in the seventh on Winn’s third home run

of the contest. But the Padres got a run in the bottom half of the frame, and tied the game 4-4 in the

eighth when former Giants catcher Todd Greene hit his second home run of the game.

“It felt good to get out there and do well against those guys,†said Greene. “I don’t have a bad thing

to say about any of them; but it’s always nice to perform against an old team.â€

Both teams had chances to take the lead in the ninth – the best opportunity presented by the Padres.

But a strong throw by Giants left fielder Barry Bonds cut Mike Cameron down at the plate and sent the

game into extras.

The Giants loaded the bases in the top of the tenth, but Trevor Hoffman struck out Travis Ishikawa to

end the threat. Then, in the bottom of the tenth, Russell Branyan took Tim Lincecum deep to end the

game, handing Lincecum his first big league loss and giving the Padres their first win in 2007.

The rubber match of the series is tomorrow night, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05pm PST.

01winsl1.jpg02winna2.jpg

Randy Winn just can’t be stopped in the early stages of 2007. Tonight, Winn led off the game with his

sixth home run of the season (left) and added a second blast in the third (right). But he wasn’t done yet…

03grexs1.jpg04gonch1.jpg

In between Randy Winn’s first and second home runs of the game, Todd Greene (left) and Adrian Gon-

zalez (right) added one a piece, allowing the Padres to stay in the game.

05auryn3.jpg

Rich Aurilia heads for home in the fourth inning, scoring on a single by Bengie Molina to give the Giants

a 3-2 lead.

06winxy0.jpg

Randy Winn rounds first after hitting his third home run of the day to give San Francisco a 4-2 advan-

tage.

07bardyx7.jpg

Josh Bard brings the Padres within one in the bottom of the seventh with a double to left center, scor-

ing Terrmell Sledge.

08grewy4.jpg

Todd Greene set off the fireworks with his second home run of the game, a solo shot in the eighth

inning to tie the contest 4-4.

09camjo5.jpg

Mike Cameron is nailed at home by Barry Bonds for the last out of the ninth inning.

10ishtm1.jpg11branjs9.jpg

(Left) After hitting two home runs in the first three games of the season, Travis Ishikawa has strug-

gled. It would continue for the youngster tonight, as he struck out twice with the bases loaded – the

final time to end the top of the tenth inning. (Right) Russell Branyan capitalized on his opportunity in

the bottom of the tenth, taking a fastball away from Tim Lincecum and placing it just inside the left field

foul pole, giving the Padres a 5-4 victory – their first of 2007. It would be Lincecum’s first career loss.

Scoring

T1: Winn solo HR

B1: T. Greene solo HR

B2: Gonzalez solo HR

T3: Winn solo HR

T4: Molina single scores Aurilia

T7: Winn solo HR

B7: Bard double scores Sledge

B8: T. Greene solo HR

B10: Branyan solo HR

W – Hoffman (1-0) L – Lincecum (0-1)

Game Notes:

Giants hitters struck out a total of 16 times in the contest - Greg Maddux collected 10 of them. Omar

Vizquel struck out four times (0-5); Travis Ishikawa (0-5) and Kevin Frandsen (2-5) each struck out

three times a piece.

Player of the Game:

Randy Winn 3-4, 3 HR, 3 RBI, SB, BB

For Boxscore, click here

April 11, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitchersyt0.jpg

Starting Lineup:

lineuplr4.jpg

SAN DIEGO, Cal. – Despite three home runs by Randy Winn, the Giants were unable to get a victory last

night as the Padres picked up their first win of 2007 in extra innings.

The Giants look to Matt Morris to take the series tonight. Morris took the loss in his first start this sea-

son, allowing three runs on six hits in six innings. While he didn’t pitch poorly, he did allow two home

runs in back-to-back style to Russell Martin and Andre Ethier of the Dodgers.

The Padres will counter with 27-year old Clay Hensley. In his first full major league season last year,

Hensley posted a 3.71 ERA in 187 innings while striking out 122 and walking 76. Hensley was originally

drafted by the Giants in the 8th round of the 2002 amateur draft and spent a year in the Giants sys-

tem before being traded to the Padres with a player to be named later for RP Matt Herges in 2003.

In his short career, he is 1-1 (5 games – 2 starts) against San Francisco, posting a miniscule 1.40 ERA

in 19.1 innings of work. In 30 games at PETCO Park (14 starts), Hensley is 9-6 with a 3.00 ERA in 117

innings.

First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm PST tonight.

I can't believe the Padres went this far without a win. I like what you are doing with the Giants. What is the longest home run you have hit with Bonds?

glad you like the idea - thanks for checking in. :D

as for Bonds, longest home run ever is over 500'...can't remember exactly.

longest home run of his two so far was about 460'

if I remember right, Ishikawa actually has the longest so far this season at about 480'

i don't post distances much in my recaps because of how off they tend to be in the game.

glad you like the idea - thanks for checking in. :D

as for Bonds, longest home run ever is over 500'...can't remember exactly.

longest home run of his two so far was about 460'

if I remember right, Ishikawa actually has the longest so far this season at about 480'

i don't post distances much in my recaps because of how off they tend to be in the game.

That is something that I hate about MVP, the distances of the home runs are often squewed. But I do like how you can hit it off of places in stadiums. Go Giants and Go Phillies!

April 11, 2007

Hensley Dominates, Leaves With Injury In Ninth After Getting

Hit By A Pitch

411endje4.jpg

SAN DIEGO, Cal. – Ah…the good ol’ fashioned beanball. Settler of scores. Deliverer of messages.

After being dominated by the Padres and Clay Hensley tonight, the tempers of the Giants players were

already on edge. But after Terrmell Sledge stole second in the bottom of the eighth with a 7-0 lead,

they boiled over.

Clay Hensley was the next hitter – and the first pitch thrown to the Padres hurler by Giants reliever

Vinnie Chulk connected squarely with Hensley ribs, drawing boos from the hometown San Diego crowd.

“They’re better than that,†said Giants manager Bruce Bochy after the game. “You have a 7-0 lead

and you’re pulling that s---? Here comes a fine, but I’ll stand behind Vinnie every single time in a sit-

uation like that – and twice on Sundays.â€

Hensley stayed in the game and got two outs in the top of the ninth before being pulled while pitch-

ing to Barry Bonds.

“It was just a precautionary thing,†said Padres skipper Bud Black. “He didn’t look right, so we pulled

him. It doesn’t seem like there’s anything serious going on though – we’ll reevaluate him tomorrow.â€

Black had no comment on the hit by pitch; we’ll have to wait until June 25 to see if the episode has

passed.

As for the here and now, the Giants have a day off tomorrow before heading to Pittsburgh for a three

game set starting Friday. First pitch for that game is scheduled for 7:05pm EST.

1henstd3.jpg

Clay Hensley was lights out today, going 8.2 shutout innings, allowing just four hits and striking out

six. All four hits were singles.

2camls0.jpg3camja3.jpg

Mike Cameron was the story offensively for the Friars today, going 3-4 with a home run in the second

inning (left) and a double in the fourth (right), after which he scored on a single by Khalil Greene.

4slehh8.jpg5hensmv7.jpg

6chuwn9.jpg7gonxu1.jpg

With the game basically decided, things got out of hand in the bottom of the eighth inning. (Top left)

The downturn started when Terrmell Sledge stole his second base of the year with two outs. (Top

right) The next hitter, Clay Hensley, took the brunt of the Giants frustration with Sledge when a fastball

from Vinnie Chulk hit Hensley in the ribs. (Bottom left) Home plate umpire Jeff Kellogg immediately warn-

ed both benches. (Bottom right) As the Padres walk off the field at the end of the game, first baseman

Adrian Gonzalez stares a hole through the visiting dugout.

Scoring

B2: Cameron solo HR

B3: T. Greene single scores Cruz, Jr.

B4: K. Greene single scores Cameron

B8: Branyan single scores T. Greene; K. Greene grounds into a double play, Branyan scores; Sledge

single scores Gonzalez

W – Hensley (1-1) L – Morris (0-2)

Player of the Game:

Clay Hensley 8.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 6 K

For Boxscore, click here

April 12, 2007

Bochy, Chulk Suspended For One Game - Bochy Also Fined

$5,000

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. - While there isn't a game scheduled for your San Francisco Giants today, there is

news to report in the Bay Area. Stemming from an obviously intentional beanball thrown at San Diego

starter Clay Hensley, following a questionable decision by Terrmell Sledge to steal second with a 7-0

lead and two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning, both Giants manager Bruce Bochy and relief pitch-

er Vinnie Chulk were suspended for one game. Neither will appeal and both will sit out Friday's game in

Pittsburgh.

Bochy was also fined $5,000 for comments made following the game.

"I'll take my medicine," said Bochy in a phone interview this morning. "I'm not sorry about a thing; but

at the same time, it was wrong. Stuff like that just doesn't sit well with me."

Hensley stayed in the game and retired two hitters in the top of the ninth; but was pulled with sore-

ness in his rib area. X-rays today were negative but Hensley is day-to-day with bruised ribs. He is ex-

pected to make his next start.

The rest of the Giants head to Pittsburgh this afternoon for a three game set over the weekend. First

pitch tomorrow night is scheduled for 7:05pm EST.

April 13, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitcherox8.jpg

Starting Lineup:

lineupwk6.jpg

PITTSBURGH, Penn. – Head east young lads.

The San Francisco Giants will leave the comfort of California for the first time this season as they start

a three-game set against the Pittsburgh Pirates (5-4) tonight. The Giants enter Pittsburgh losers of

their last two series and on a two-game skid, taking just one game from each the Los Angeles Dod-

gers and the San Diego Padres.

As a result of their last outing, the Giants will be a manager and a reliever short as Bruce Bochy and

Vinnie Chulk serve one-game suspensions in response to Chulk’s beaning of Padres starter Clay Hens-

ley in the eighth inning on Wednesday night. Both chose not to appeal their suspensions and will miss

tonight’s game.

Starting the game for the Giants tonight is young hurler Jonathan Sanchez. Sanchez drew a no dec-

ision in his outing on April 7, a seventeen-inning marathon against the Dodgers – which the Giants

won 5-4 on a walkoff home run by Rich Aurilia. Sanchez went eight shutout innings in the contest, sur-

rendering just five hits while striking out three.

Sanchez has thrown just one inning against the Pirates in his short career, in which he struck out two

and walked one. He has never pitched at PNC Park.

The Pirates will counter with Tony Armas, Jr., who won his first outing of 2007 despite giving up four

runs in five innings against the Cincinnati Reds. Armas, Jr. gave up nine hits in the contest; only one

of which – a double – went for extra bases.

Armas, Jr.’s major league debut came with the Expos against the Giants on August 16, 1999. He went

six innings, allowing one earned run on eight hits while striking out two in a losing effort (7-4 Giants;

W – Joe Nathan; S – Robb Nen).

In his career against San Francisco, Armas, Jr. is 1-4 with a 5.28 ERA. In 29 IP, he has allowed 32 hits

and recorded 17 strikeouts. At PNC Park, Armas, Jr. is 1-0 with a 6.43 ERA.

First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm EST.

Archived