What I Should Have Done...

sfgiantsflgators

Two months into the season, what do you see as the Giants biggest need?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• There is no pressing need
    • Another power bat
    • Veteran reliever
    • Everyday third baseman

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

giantsdynastybannercd0.png

April 18, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitcheriu8.jpg

Starting Lineup:

lineupnx4.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – Coming off a two-game sweep of Colorado in which they outscored the Rockies

10-2, the Giants face off against the 2006 World Series Champion St. Louis Cardinals tonight and to-

morrow in another two-game series.

Giants left fielder Barry Bonds enters the showdown with the Redbirds on fire, having hit a home run

in three of his last four games, blasting five long balls in that span – including three last night.

Facing Bonds tonight will be 25-year old Adam Wainwright. Wainwright had never started a game in

the major leagues until this season and is 0-1 on the 2007 campaign. He has struggled, posting a 7.84

ERA while striking out nine and walking eight in 10.1 innings. He has surrendered two home runs, three

doubles, and a triple thus far, while opponents are hitting .326 off him this season.

That’s a far cry from his performance in the postseason last year, where he didn’t allow a run over the

course of 9.1 innings, while striking out 15 and walking just two. Wainwright went 1-0 with four saves,

including a strikeout of Brandon Inge for the final out in Game 5 to clinch the title for St. Louis.

Against the Giants, Wainwright has pitched just 3.2 innings, allowing two runs on four hits in two games.

All of those hits and runs came in three innings of work at AT&T Park on May 24 last season, the only

appearance of his career in San Francisco. Wainwright earned the victory that day, and even took Noah

Lowry deep in the fifth inning for his first career home run.

For the Giants, young lefty Jonathan Sanchez takes the mound with a 1-0 record and a ridiculous 0.64

ERA. Sanchez has been brilliant this season, allowing just one run on thirteen hits over fourteen innings

of work. Sanchez could easily be 2-0, but took a no-decision in his first outing despite eight innings of

five-hit, shutout ball against the Dodgers – a game that the Giants won in 17 innings.

Sanchez has never faced the Cardinals.

First pitch is scheduled for 7:15pm PST.

April 18, 2007

Encarnacion Falls Triple Short Of Cycle As Cards Rout Giants 9-2

418endej3.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – Guess that’s why they’re the defending world champs.

The Cardinals beat the Giants in every phase of the game tonight, leaving 40,000 orange and black

fans to shake their heads at night’s end.

While many Cardinals players got in on the fun, none enjoyed it more than right fielder Juan Encar-

nacion.

“There wasn’t anything I couldn’t hit tonight,†said Encarnacion after the game. “You could have thrown

bb’s at me and it wouldn’t have slowed me down.â€

Encarnacion grounded out in his first at bat before starting his onslaught in the fourth inning with an

RBI double off the right field wall, scoring Scott Rolen for the first run of the game. It was all downhill

from there as Encarnacion singled and homered in his next two at bats, combining with catcher Yadier

Molina to drive in three runs a piece.

Giants starter Jonathan Sanchez entered the game with an 0.69 ERA, but saw it jump to 2.79 after

allowing five runs on ten hits in 5.1 innings.

“What can I say,†said Sanchez. “Nothing I threw was working. Everything was flat. I’ll just have to try

it again in five days.â€

The Giants have one more game against St. Louis tomorrow afternoon before hosting Arizona for a

three game set over the weekend.

Tomorrow will feature a battle of former Cy Young winners as Chris Carpenter faces off against Barry

Zito with first pitch scheduled for 12:35pm PST. Barry Bonds is scheduled to start.

1enyp6.jpg4enwv9.jpg

5enwy2.jpg6ensp5.jpg

Tonight it was Juan Encarnacion’s world – and the Giants were just living in it. (Top left) Encarnacion

sprints towards first as Fred Lewis field’s his line drive off the wall. Encarnacion would reach second

safely with a double. (Top right) Encarnacion touches home after a two run home run in the eighth inn-

ing. (Bottom left) Encarnacion was even stellar defensively, making a diving catch on a foul fly by Barry

Bonds in the eighth. (Bottom right) Encarnacion had a chance for a cycle in the ninth, but grounded out

to end the inning.

7vizzo4.jpg8aurcc4.jpg

It wasn’t a completely horrible night for every Giant as both Omar Vizquel (left) and Rich Aurilia (right)

hit solo home runs in the contest.

Scoring

T4: Encarnacion double scores Rolen; Molina single scores Edmonds, Encarnacion

T6: Duncan single scores Edmonds; Molina sacrifice fly scores Encarnacion

B6: Vizquel solo HR

T7: Kennedy solo HR

T8: Encarnacion two run HR; Kennedy single scores Duncan

B8: Aurilia solo HR

W – Wainwright (2-0) L – Sanchez (1-1)

Player of the Game:

Juan Encarnacion 3-5, 2B, HR, 3 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

April 19, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitchersxn4.jpg

Starting Lineup:

lineupuu1.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – Raise your hand if you’ve won a Cy Young Award.

If you starting today’s game, then your hand should be up.

Today we have the privilege of watching two of the game’s great pitchers face off as 2005 NL Cy Young

Award winner Chris Carpenter of the Cardinals goes against 2002 AL Cy Young Award Winner Barry Zito.

“These are the days where it’s great to be a baseball fan,†said Bruce Bochy in an interview with KNBR

this morning. “When you get to see matchups like we’ll have today, it’s great to just sit back and enjoy

the show.â€

After last night’s beatdown, Giants fans are just hoping for a close one.

So far in 2007, Zito has been just what Giants fans hoped for when the team spent $126 million on the

left-hander this offseason. Zito is 1-0 with a 1.29 ERA in three appearances this season. He has yet to

allow more than one run in any outing so far in 2007. In his last appearance, Zito took a no-decision

against the Pirates, allowing one run on six hits in 6.2 innings while striking out five. The Giants lost

the game 4-3 in sixteen innings.

Zito has faced St. Louis just once in his career, a no-decision effort in which he allowed three runs (two

earned) on seven hits in five innings of work. He struck out eight in the contest.

Carpenter has been off so far in 2007, posting an 0-1 record with a 5.02 ERA. In 14.1 innings, Car-

penter has struck out nine, walked six, and has given up a double, triple, and a home run.

Against San Francisco in his career, Carpenter is 2-0 with a 3.03 ERA, allowing just 26 hits in 29.2 inn-

ings while striking out 22 and walking just nine. Carpenter has pitched just one game at AT&T Park,

allowing four runs on seven hits – including three home runs - in 6.2 innings on July 30, 2004. Carpen-

ter earned the victory despite giving up the three bombs as the Cardinals won 7-4 thanks to a six-run

sixth inning.

First pitch is scheduled for 12:35pm PST. Barry Bonds is expected to start.

Sorry it's been a couple days since I played a game, but I've been working on something...

Instead of the "Divisional Games" I've been posting, I've used MVP SavReader to create a series of webpages so you guys can check out whatever you feel you need to see.

The only links that won't work are player pages for anyone not on the San Francisco Giants...and the minor league links (since I put Klesko and such in the minors, it's not really a fair shake for the other teams).

I'll be updating the links after every game so you'll have access to the previous days games, current league leaders, etc.

Check it out - let me know if there's something that doesn't work or if there are suggestions you might have.

For Current League Information, click here.

EDIT:

I'm going to place the link on the first page, as well as in a post after each game.

April 19, 2007

Vizquel Drives In Four As Giants Win Slugfest 7-6

419endiq6.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – Oh the wind is lashing lustily, and the trees are thrashing thrustily…

On a blustery day that A.A. Milne would have been proud of, the Giants offense out performed that of

the defending world champions to split their two-game series with St. Louis.

With winds gusting at up to 40 mph, Barry Zito and Chris Carpenter took the mound knowing that it

could get ugly.

“I’ve been in this area my whole career,†said Zito. “So I know how unpredictable the conditions can

get when the winds swirl like they did today. You just have to try and keep the ball down to limit the

damage. Fortunately, my guys stepped up and made up for the mistakes I made.â€

Zito went 6.2 innings today, giving up six runs on nine hits, including three home runs. His counterpart,

Carpenter, gave up five in six innings on eleven hits, two of which cleared the wall.

So it was left up to the bullpens – and boy did the Giants relievers answer, allowing just two hits over

2.1 shutout innings. Two performances stood out as Kevin Correia and Tim Lincecum both stared down

Albert Pujols…and won.

After Zito gave up a two-out, game-tying home run to Adam Kennedy in the seventh, Bruce Bochy

brought in Correia to face the right-handed slugger. A three-pitch strikeout later, the inning was over.

“He’s one of the best,†said Correia. “But you can’t think about that when you’re on the mound. I just

kept the ball moving and changed speeds, hoping I could keep him off guard. Fortunately, it worked out

in our favor.â€

Lincecum faced a similar quandary in the bottom of the ninth after he walked Adam Kennedy with two

outs to bring up the former MVP and ROY. Pujols made contact this time, sending it about 380 feet to

center; happily for Giants fans, center field is 399 feet from the plate, allowing Randy Winn to settle

under the ball for the last out of the game.

The Giants now host division-rival Arizona for a three game set this weekend. First pitch is scheduled

for 7:15pm PST tomorrow night.

1ishqc4.jpg2vizhw0.jpg

(Left) Travis Ishikawa drives in two with a home run to right, tying the game 2-2. (Right) After the

Cardinals re-took the lead, Omar Vizquel hit a three run shot in the fifth, giving the Giants a 5-4 ad-

vantage.

3kenly2.jpg4cortw8.jpg

(Left) Adam Kennedy goes opposite field on Barry Zito, giving St. Louis a 6-5 lead in the seventh.

(Right) Kevin Correia is called in after Kennedy’s home run to face Albert Pujols – and strikes the slug-

ger out on three pitches to end the inning.

5auryf0.jpg

Rich Aurilia put San Francisco ahead for the last time with a solo shot in the bottom of the seventh.

6pujov8.jpg7winni0.jpg

With two outs in the ninth, Albert Pujols and Tim Lincecum faced off with a runner on first. Lincecum

went at Pujols, challenging him with a fastball after getting ahead 0-1. Pujols connected, but got under

the pitch enough for Randy Winn to coast under it for the last out of the game.

Scoring

T1: Pujols single scores Kennedy; Edmonds sacrifice fly scores Pujols

B2: Ishikawa two run HR

T4: Duncan solo HR

T5: Pujols solo HR

B5: Vizquel three run HR

T6: Duncan sacrifice fly scores Edmonds

T7: Kennedy solo HR

B7: Aurilia solo HR

B8: Vizquel single scores Frandsen

W – Munter (1-0) L – Flores (0-2)

Game Notes:

Every Giant got a hit today, including Barry Zito who picked up two singles on a 2-3 day. Travis Ishikawa

and Kevin Frandsen each went 3-4.

Player of the Game:

Omar Vizquel 2-5, HR, 4 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

April 20, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitchesxl9.jpg

Starting Lineup:

lineupzz5.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – Now the fun starts…

Over the next twelve games, the Giants will face divisional opponents as the games begin to get more

meaningful. Following a three game set with the Arizona Diamondbacks this weekend, the Giants hit

the road for six games, three each against the Dodgers and Arizona, before heading back home for a

three game set against Colorado. All three teams are less than two games out of first, which the Giants

and Dodgers currently hold together. The Padres are four games out with a 5-11 record.

"It's early," said Bruce Bochy on KNBR today, "but getting wins early against the teams in your division

can put you in a good position come August and September. These next few series are big for us."

Tonight, the Giants send out young phenom Matt Cain to counter former Giant Livan Hernandez. On the

season, Cain is 1-1 with a 3.86 ERA. In his last outing, Cain struggled against the Pirates, allowing five

runs on twelve hits in 5.1 innings of work. He looks to rebound against the Diamondbacks, who he is

2-2 against in his career, posting a 4.21 ERA with 24 strikeouts and 11 walks.

Hernandez was a member of the Giants 2002 National League Championship team, going 12-16 on the

year with a 4.38 ERA. So far this season, Hernandez 1-1 with a 3.27 ERA; he has struck out 17 and

walked nine in 22 innings.

Against the Giants in his career, Hernandez is 3-4 with a 2.71 ERA. He has struck out 47 while walking

18 in 66.1 innings against San Francisco. At AT&T Park, he has posted a 26-22 record with a 3.93 ERA.

In 389.1 innings, Hernandez has struck out 258 and walked 131.

First pitch is scheduled for 7:15pm PST.

April 20, 2007

Giants Capitalize On Three Arizona Errors, Win 6-5 In Twelve

420endkr8.jpg

01vizhq1.jpg

Omar Vizquel gets the Giants on the board early, plating Randy Winn with a single in the first.

02fraov0.jpg

Kevin Frandsen hit his first home run of 2007 in the bottom of the second for a 2-0 Giants lead.

03bondsil8.jpg

The Giants took a 4-1 lead in the fourth, scoring two runs in the frame. The first of those runs came on

a solo home run by Barry Bonds, his eighth of the season.

04ishgf8.jpg05clamw6.jpg

Arizona surged backin the top of the seventh, taking a 5-4 lead after a four run inning. (Left) Two of

those runs scored when Travis Ishikawa misplayed a soft line drive from pinch-hitter Conor Jackson,

allowing Scott Hairston and Rich Thompson to score. (Right) The fourth run came on a double by Tony

Clark off reliever Steve Kline, scoring Orlando Hudson to take the lead.

06fralx6.jpg07frahi0.jpg

08frapy1.jpg09snyor4.jpg

Kevin Frandsen caused all sorts of problems for the Diamondbacks today. After a home run in the sec-

ond, Frandsen added a double in the seventh (top left) and would later score on a single by Randy

Winn. Twice reaching safely on errors, once in the bottom of the fourth (top right) and again in the

twelfth (bottom left). Frandsen was also able to take an extra base in the twelfth when D-Backs catcher

Chris Snyder overthrew second base on a sacrifice attempt by Eliezer Alfonzo, putting runners on the

corners with nobody out (bottom right).

10vizwx7.jpg

Those two errors by the D-Backs brought Omar Vizquel to the plate with the chance to win the game;

and a line drive over the head of right fielder Carlos Quentin did just that, scoring Kevin Frandsen for

the win.

Scoring

B1: Vizquel single scores Winn

B2: Frandsen solo HR

T4: Hairston single scores Byrnes

B4: Bonds solo HR; Frandsen reaches on an error, Lewis scores

T7: Jackson reaches on an error by the first baseman, Hairston and Thompson score; Tracy sacrifice fly

scores Jackson; Clark double scores Hudson

B7: Winn single scores Frandsen

B12: Vizquel single scores Frandsen

W – Munter (2-0) L – Carrasco (1-2)

Players of the Game:

Omar Vizquel 2-6, GW 1B, 2 RBI

Kevin Frandsen 2-5, 2B, HR, RBI, 3 R

For Boxscore, click here

April 21, 2007

Giants Minor Leaguer Pablo Sandoval Placed On 60-Day DL

The Giants annouced today that minor league third baseman Pablo Sandoval tore his ACL in yesterday's game and is expected to miss almost three months.

Sandoval was ranked as the #25 prospect by Scout.com in their preseason Top 50 prospect list. He hit .330 in 294 at bats at Short-A Salem-Keizer last season. So far this year, Sandoval had hit .334 with no home runs and 5 RBI in 13 games with Single-A San Jose.

April 21, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitcherhp6.jpg

Starting Lineup:

lineupqs3.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – Following a twelve inning battle which saw the Giants capitalize on two Arizona

errors in the twelfth to win 6-5, San Francisco looks to build on their 2.5 game lead over the Diamond-

backs today at AT&T Park.

One of the biggest reasons the Giants enter today having won their last two games goes by the name

of Kevin Frandsen, their 24-year old second baseman. A year ago next week, Frandsen made his major

league debut against the D-Backs, going 3-4 with three runs scored in a 10-2 Giants victory.

“I learned a lot last year,†said Frandsen after last night’s victory. “and I’m still learning something new

every day. The first couple weeks of this season I struggled a bit; but I’m really starting to get comfort-

able and hopefully that will continue.â€

Frandsen has looked comfortable lately, going 5-9 with a double and a home run (both last night) in his

last two games. He’s scored four times in that span – three times in last night’s game. He was also at

the center of all three Arizona errors, reaching safely on two of them and advancing to third to event-

ually score the winning run on another.

In hopes of keeping the train rolling, the Giants send out Noah Lowry (2-0) who has been phenomenal

this season, posting a 1.90 ERA and a WHIP of 0.76 in 23.2 innings. In his last outing, Lowry threw his

third career shutout, holding the Rockies to just five hits while striking out three.

Against Arizona in his career, Lowry is 5-1 with a 2.36 ERA.

The D-Backs will counter with Doug Davis (0-2) who has been the victim of bad luck so far in 2007. Davis

has posted a 3.79 ERA in 19 innings – not wonderful, but not as poor as his winless record indicates.

Against the Giants in his eight year career, Davis is 2-2 with a 4.89 ERA. At AT&T Park, he has posted a

1-1 record with a 6.43 ERA.

While originally scheduled for a 7:15pm PST start, the game has been moved to 1:05pm PST. With the

change in time, there were rumors that Barry Bonds would sit out today; but all indications are that he

will play today and could sit out tomorrow, depending on the outcome.

April 21, 2007

Giants Win Third Straight, Hold Off Arizona 4-3

421endee6.jpg

01hudqp7.jpg

Orlando Hudson makes a diving stop on a hard hit grounder by Fred Lewis in the second. Hudson got

Lewis by half a step at first, but would have to leave the game with an apparent shoulder injury. The

extent of the injury is not yet known.

02winhc5.jpg03niepu1.jpg

Doug Davis was perfect through the first three innings; but it all imploded on him in the fourth. (Left)

Randy Winn earns a walk to lead off the inning. (Right) Lance Niekro singles up the middle for the first

Giants hit of the game.

04felqj6.jpg

After Doug Davis struck out Barry Bonds for the first out in the fourth, he threw a first pitch fastball to

Pedro Feliz, who lauched the mistake 425 feet into left to give the Giants a 3-0 lead.

05lewsd2.jpg06lewzg3.jpg

Fred Lewis won't be getting any Christmas cards from Carlos Quentin this winter after Lewis robbed

Quentin of two sure hits today. The first on a sinking liner in the second (left); and the second on a

smoking line drive that appeared to be heading for "triple's alley" until it met the webbing of a diving

Lewis' glove (right).

07byruj2.jpg08clarls0.jpg

All three Arizona runs came on home runs off Noah Lowry, the first a solo shot by Eric Byrnes in the

seventh (left); and the second on a moonshot to the deepest part of the yard by Tony Clark in the

eighth (right).

09davanbb5.jpg

Jeff DaVanon came in for an injured Orlando Hudson in the second and would make what proved to be

the deciding misplay in the seventh. When Noah Lowry failed to get the bunt down to advance Bengie

Molina to second, Lowry was forced to swing away and hit what appeared to be a sure double-play

ball. DaVanon bobbled it, however, allowing Lowry to reach first safely and extend the inning. The next

two batters singled, the second of which - Omar Vizquel - plated Lowry for the deciding run of the game.

10linze9.jpg

Tim Lincecum pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for his fifth save of the season, striking out Robby Hammock for the

last out to secure a Giants victory.

Scoring

B4: Feliz three run HR

T7: Byrnes solo HR

B7: Vizquel single scores Lowry

T8: Clark two run HR

W – Lowry (3-0) L – Davis (0-3) S - Lincecum (5)

Player of the Game:

Omar Vizquel 2-6, GW 1B, 2 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

Archived