What I Should Have Done...

sfgiantsflgators

Two months into the season, what do you see as the Giants biggest need?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• There is no pressing need
    • Another power bat
    • Veteran reliever
    • Everyday third baseman

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how are we doing on the basepaths this season? Any speed in our step or is it same old wait for the big hit.

Well, it's hard to tell yet because the big hit's been coming. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough though :D

BOOOOO!!!! Can't believe the Dodgers lost it in 17! Awesome game though.

I'm not gonna lie - it felt pretty good to saddle Schmidt with the loss.

Good game buddy! Hate to see Lincecum blow a save :(

It happens I guess. I'm confindent that he'll rebound though - he just didn't have it last night.

giantsdynastybannercd0.png

April 8, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitchersyf0.jpg

Starting Lineup:

lineuprg9.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – Following a seventeen inning marathon that went almost four hours, the Dod-

gers and Giants face off in the rubber match of their first series of 2007 this afternoon.

The Giants were able to pull out a 3-2 victory thanks to Rich Aurilia’s home run off former Giants ace

Jason Schmidt, and look to new acquisition Barry Zito (1-0) to take their second straight series to open

In his first start, Zito went six solid innings, allowing one run on four hits while striking out two in a win

over the Padres. But Zito struggled early with his control and finished with four walks on the game.

“Part of it might have been the Opening Day jitters,†said Zito. “Even more so with it being my first

game for the Giants and in front of a new crowd. But I was happy with how I finished and hopefully I

can build on that today.â€

Zito and the Giants will face off against Derek Lowe (0-1), who dropped his first game of 2007 against

the Brewers, 5-2. Lowe gave up three runs on six hits against Milwaukee, with three of those six hits

going for extra bases (two doubles and a home run).

Also, Giants prospect Fred Lewis will get his first start of 2007 this afternoon as Barry Bonds takes a

day off following last night’s epic battle. Lewis and the rest of the Giants will take the field in the series

finale at 1:05pm PST.

This is just as good as your TC dynasty. Loved that 17 inning marathon. This is great.

thanks man - glad you're enjoying it so far :D

Also, you mentioned that you had your own set of sliders. Mind posting those along with mentioning what datafile are you using? Thanks.

i'm using the default datafile from MVP 07. as for the sliders, keep watching the first page and i'll put them on there whenever i can remember to copy them down.

another extra innings contest coming up shortly!

April 8, 2007

Bums Score Four In Ninth, Take Series With Furcal Home Run

In Tenth

48endcs1.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, Cal. – Will someone tell these guys it’s only April?

For the second straight game, the intensity of playoff baseball filled AT&T Park as the Dodgers and

Giants battled past regulation time. On this day however, the Bums got the better of the deal.

Both starting pitchers, Derek Lowe and Barry Zito, were stellar today. Lowe allowed just three hits

over seven innings and struck out ten; but a walk to Rich Aurilia with the bases loaded in the sixth

gave the Giants a 1-0 lead. Zito gave up seven hits in 8.1 innings and turned the game over to Tim

Lincecum with a 4-1 lead in the ninth.

For the second straight game though, Lincecum got into trouble, giving up a double to Jeff Kent and

walking Russell Martin to bring pinch-hitter Marlon Anderson up as the tying run with two outs. Lin-

cecum fell behind 2-0, forcing him throw a strike; and Anderson made him pay, blasting a three run

home run to tie the game 4-4.

“I’m not worried yet,†said Giants manager Bruce Bochy. “He’s [Lincecum] young – things like this hap-

pen to young guys. Especially pitchers. But he’s got great stuff; and, more importantly, he’s got a solid

head on his shoulders. He’s still our closer 100%.â€

Dodgers reliever Jonathan Broxton shut down the Giants in the ninth, sending the game into extras

for the second straight day. In the tenth, Rafael Furcal stepped up for the Bums, taking Brian Wilson

deep for a 5-4 Dodgers lead.

Broxton came back out in the bottom of the tenth, and got a quick two outs before Barry Bonds walk-

ed up to the plate as a pinch-hitter. Bonds took a couple of pitches before uncorking on a fastball – but

Jeff Kent was in the right place at the right time and snagged the line drive for the last out of the game.

Having dropped their first series of 2007, the Giants hit the road for the first time as they head to San

Diego for a three-game set. The Padres have yet to win a game this season and will send Chris Young

out to counter the Giants Matt Cain in hopes of stopping their six-game skid. First pitch is scheduled for

7:05pm PST.

01etheq0.jpg

Andre Ethier is picked off first base by Barry Zito in the top of the second.

02bbsb8.jpg

Omar Vizquel scores the first run of the contest on a walk by Rich Aurilia in the sixth inning.

03winbc8.jpg04linpy6.jpg

05vizhd0.jpg06franzz5.jpg

Things fell apart for the Dodgers in the bottom of the eighth inning. (Top left) Randy Winn reaches on

an error by pitcher Brett Tomko. (Top right) Todd Linden reaches on an error by catcher Russell Martin,

loading the bases with nobody out. (Bottom left) Omar Vizquel heads for home on a wild throw by Brett

Tomko in a failed pickoff attempt at third base. It was Tomko’s second error of the inning. (Bottom right)

Jeff Kent can’t hang on to a line drive by Kevin Frandsen, allowing Randy Winn and Todd Linden to score

for a 4-0 Giants lead.

07saeff4.jpg08andnm7.jpg

The Dodgers offense responded though, scoring four runs in the top of the ninth to tie the game 4-4.

The first run came on a solo shot by Olmedo Saenz (left) off Barry Zito; the next three came off the bat

of pinch-hitter Marlon Anderson against Giants prospect Tim Lincecum. All right fielder Todd Linden could

do was watch it sail over the wall (right).

09furnw0.jpg

Rafael Furcal wasn’t about to let this one go seventeen innings as he blasted a home run to straight

center field for a 5-4 Dodgers lead in the tenth.

10kencb7.jpg11broxch3.jpg

(Left) Jeff Kent snares a line drive by pinch-hitter Barry Bonds to end the game. (Right) Jonathan Brox-

ton celebrates his first victory of 2007. Broxton went two perfect innings to finish the game for Los Ang-

eles.

Scoring

B6: Aurilia walks, Vizquel scores

B8: Vizquel scores on an error by the pitcher; Frandsen single scores Winn, Linden

T9: Saenz solo HR; Anderson three run HR

T10: Furcal solo HR

W - Broxton (1-0) L - Wilson (0-1)

Player of the Game:

Rafael Furcal 1-5, GW HR, RBI

For Boxscore, click here

April 9, 2007

Starting Pitchers:

pitcherswb8.jpg

Starting Lineup:

lieuppf1.jpg

SAN DIEGO, Cal. – Coming off a series loss to the hated Dodgers, the Giants look to take out their frus-

tration on the San Diego Padres for the next three days – starting with tonight.

But Giants fans won’t get any sympathy from the San Diego crowd as the Padres have yet to win in

2007, dropping their first six games of the season – including three at the hands of the Giants – to

start the season.

San Diego looks to Chris Young tonight to right the ship. Young pitched effectively against San Francisco

in the second game of this young season, going six innings in a no-decision, allowing one run on seven

hits while striking out six. That night however, Padres reliever Cla Meredith gave up two home runs in

the seventh inning as the Giants went on to win 3-2.

Young’s opposite tonight is the same hurler he faced on April 4, Giants phenom Matt Cain. Cain allow-

ed two runs on six hits in six innings in that game, also taking a no decision in the contest.

First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm PST tonight.

Maybe you addressed this already.. but why do you play with the crowds off? Your graphics look good enough that the crowds wouldn't bring the game down too much.

I started the trend in TCM in an attempt to stop random crashing; and, for the most part, it seemed to work.

I thought my video card (Radeon 9600) was more than sufficient enough to handle stuff like that too (it's fine with Half-Life 2)...but the crashing has significantly reduced since then so I don't dare switch it back - at least not yet.

hmm, I might have to try that. Does yours just freeze and not do anything while you hear a clicking noise and are forced to turn off the power supply?

yep - minus the clicking. mine just goes mute.

sometimes i'm able to ctrl-alt-del...but most of the time, i have to do a manual computer restart.

the crashes are always random too - doesn't matter who's up, who's pitching, etc. after taking the crowd out i noticed a significant drop. can't remember who suggested it to me, but that person saved me a lot of frustration.

Archived