"300"

DJEagles

I went with my brother to a midnight showing of 300 last night. I was worried that I would not be able to stay awake, as I had worked a 12 hour shift earlier in the day. Well let me tell you, from the opening credits, to the end credits, the film was nothing short of breathtaking.

The "Special Effects" were amazing. The acting was perfect, the story was fantastic.

I had not read the Graphic Novel it was based on, so I was not sure what to expect, but now, after seeing the film, I am going to buy the book(s).

The violence and battle scenes were planned out perfectly, with the right amount of gore to keep you on the edge of your seat, and the storyline was very good.

easily the best film in the past 6 months.

I have to agree, but the story line at the end was far from the truth, and too much mythology involved. There were no rhinos and elephants of that stature in the Persian army at that time, in that place of battle. Xerxes didnt look like gay king either. I guess you have to spruce it up, to make it worth seeing, but to much was stressed on the 300, and not the naval battle that allowed it to happen, with mysticles. If it were not for him, Leonidus would have been cut off before the war even started. Leonidus was killed before his last few men were, because there was a struggle over possesion of the body, which the Spartans took control of, and dragged into a small alley, where the rest of them died by archers. Leonidus head was severed from his body, but that was left out.

But overall, i did enjoy it, from a movie goer standpoint. Computer animation was unbelievable, and a definite must see, if you like that sort of thing.

I have to agree, but the story line at the end was far from the truth, and too much mythology involved. There were no rhinos and elephants of that stature in the Persian army at that time, in that place of battle. Xerxes didnt look like gay king either. I guess you have to spruce it up, to make it worth seeing, but to much was stressed on the 300, and not the naval battle that allowed it to happen, with mysticles. If it were not for him, Leonidus would have been cut off before the war even started. Leonidus was killed before his last few men were, because there was a struggle over possesion of the body, which the Spartans took control of, and dragged into a small alley, where the rest of them died by archers. Leonidus head was severed from his body, but that was left out.

But overall, i did enjoy it, from a movie goer standpoint. Computer animation was unbelievable, and a definite must see, if you like that sort of thing.

Yes, but it was based on a comic book, not really so much from the historical standpoint.

I didnt even know they had a comic book about it. I will have to check that out. Thanks for the info :)

I love greek mythology, thats why I have such an interest in this. I liked the movie alot, but they should have added more realism in it, but either way, it was a movie people should check out on the big screen.

I wish you'd shut up about this movie man. You may make me want to see it. Can you hear my apathy re: movies these days?

If this was the best movie in 6 months, what was your previous "butt kicking movie that rocks your face off"? Right now I'm open to anything that rocks.

Just came home from watching this in IMAX. Sorry DJ, but I have to respectfully disagree. While the Cinematography and visual effects were astounding, there was no plot evolution and the script was dreadful. All the good lines of the film can be seen in the trailer. The only above average actor in the film was Gerard Butler, the rest were all mediocre at best. Hardly any emotion came through any of the characters except at one point in the movie with the Captain (if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about). The sex scene at the beginning was way too long as well as the oracle scene. It seemed like just an excuse to put some nipples in the film. None of the actors of the Persian army were actually Persian, nor did they appear to be in the film. As a person of Persian descent, I wasn't offended as much by the portrayal of the army as much as I was about the portrayal of Xerxes. He doesn't have any piercings nor are his eyebrows drawn on, you can do away with the make-up too. He also doesn't wear a golden thong. One thing I can say though is that the fight scenes were very well done.

One more thing to add, parts of this movie were ripped from Gladiator.

I give it a 6 out of 10. I was expecting much, much more

Xerxes didnt look like gay king either.

Hey Fred, thats why I wrote this, because I thought it was a tad to disrespectful a portrayal of one of the best Kings in history. They made him to look like a freak, and he wasnt.

Just came home from watching this in IMAX. Sorry DJ, but I have to respectfully disagree. While the Cinematography and visual effects were astounding, there was no plot evolution and the script was dreadful. All the good lines of the film can be seen in the trailer. The only above average actor in the film was Gerard Butler, the rest were all mediocre at best. Hardly any emotion came through any of the characters except at one point in the movie with the Captain (if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about). The sex scene at the beginning was way too long as well as the oracle scene. It seemed like just an excuse to put some nipples in the film. None of the actors of the Persian army were actually Persian, nor did they appear to be in the film. As a person of Persian descent, I wasn't offended as much by the portrayal of the army as much as I was about the portrayal of Xerxes. He doesn't have any piercings nor are his eyebrows drawn on, you can do away with the make-up too. He also doesn't wear a golden thong. One thing I can say though is that the fight scenes were very well done.

One more thing to add, parts of this movie were ripped from Gladiator.

I give it a 6 out of 10. I was expecting much, much more

I understand how some may not enjoy the movie...but I have to disagree with the Gladiator reference....this movie is based on a Frank Miller Graphic Novel, Gladiator has nothing to do with it.

The Departed was my previous favorite...that and Rocky Balboa...

The Departed really was an excellent movie and deserved the Oscars it received. Top-notch acting all around.

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend another movie that was released shortly afterward...The Prestige.

I agree with Fred on some points, but overall, this is a must-see if you like action movies. I do not know mythology, nor did I read the comic book so... I agree w/Fred on girl scenes - seemed like an excuse to show a little boob. These scenes were all a little pointless except for the last one that included the king - this scene actually reminded me of Satan - being a temptor. The acting did not bother me at all. I do see the Gladiator referrence (the wheat). Of course there was violence but no where near the same, as say, a Tarantino film.

Overall, AMAZING visual movie and I enjoyed the narrative/story. Again, I'm just 'the average movie goer' - definately a recommended guy movie.

The Departed really was an excellent movie and deserved the Oscars it received. Top-notch acting all around.

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend another movie that was released shortly afterward...The Prestige.

The Prestige was a very well done movie also. I liked the twist at the end, even though you could kind of see it coming. Jackman and Bale were excellent in their roles, and I would recommend this movie very highly.

The Movie Xerxes:

santoroxerxesth4.jpg

The Comic Book Xerxes:

41e.jpg

Looks pretty similar to me.

That's the problem. People who either are offended, or said it wasn't historically factual, seem to forget it was based on a comic book. It was an excellent interpretation of Miller's Graphic Novel, not a history book.

Archived