52 members have voted

1. 1.

• Rod Carew - Twins/Angels
    • Eddie Collins - A's/White Sox
    • Bobby Doerr - Red Sox
    • Charlie Gehringer - Tigers
    • Nap Lajoie - Indians
    • Tony Lazzeri - Yankees

He was a great fielder. And a better all around player than Alomar.

Are you kidding? Back then 2nd base was more of an offensive position, where you stuck a relatively slow guy if first was already taken. In 1898, he made 46 errors. Granted, the gloves were a bit smaller and hardly really gloves at all. So, let's go ahead about 15 years, when gloves were widely used and a bit sturdier: From 1912-15, he made 21, 20, 17, 23 errors respectively, and only about 60 DPs yearly. He was not an outstounding fielder to say the least.

Let me get this straight, people are voting a player with a .328 .393 .429 line over someone with a .338 .380 .467 line, who played during the deadball era? Are you serious?

Lajoie: career rate 2 of 109

Carew: 99

Lajoie had a .426 season. 4 freaking 26.

i think people are voting for carew because they actually seen him play. kinda hard to rate a player just on stats if you've never seen him play. it's almost like trying to decide wich myth is better, the dragon or the unicorn.

i think people are voting for carew because they actually seen him play. kinda hard to rate a player just on stats if you've never seen him play. it's almost like trying to decide wich myth is better, the dragon or the unicorn.

Well, that would be true if we were just voting for random names, but we have clear, obvious statistics for how they performed. When we have that, it should be obvious who are the best players.

So, If the dragon and unicorn had clearly comparable statistics, it'd be analogous. Choosing Rod Carew is just stupid.

Yeah but look at it this way, these polls are starting to shape up like the actual All-Star voting process. There's always going to be some people out there questioning why certain players got as many votes as they did.

In a way it makes good fodder for Baseball Tonight, talk radio...

...even some message boards ;)

Anyway, write-in votes at this point:

Roberto Alomar: 3

Well, that would be true if we were just voting for random names, but we have clear, obvious statistics for how they performed. When we have that, it should be obvious who are the best players.

So, If the dragon and unicorn had clearly comparable statistics, it'd be analogous. Choosing Rod Carew is just stupid.

What the hell is this??? :) Here I am agreeing 100% with the Red Sox guy. Hahahhaa

Seriously....it's damn stupid to have Carew the leader in the second base category just because people saw him play. And I am not hating on Carew because I SAW him play. He was a great hitter! But did he win a gold glove at second? No, he didn't.

People are just voting for this guy because he's a recent player. If that's the case, just write in Frank White of Kansas City.

Stupid fu(^&()( stuff.

Are you kidding? Back then 2nd base was more of an offensive position, where you stuck a relatively slow guy if first was already taken. In 1898, he made 46 errors. Granted, the gloves were a bit smaller and hardly really gloves at all. So, let's go ahead about 15 years, when gloves were widely used and a bit sturdier: From 1912-15, he made 21, 20, 17, 23 errors respectively, and only about 60 DPs yearly. He was not an outstounding fielder to say the least.

Saying he was a great fielder is probably an exageration on my part. Overall, he's clearly a better 2nd baseman than Alomar though because of his offensive #'s. Especially considering the amount of time he played in the deadball era.

WARP3

Lajoie 173.1

Alomar 132.7

OPS +

Lajoie 150

Alomear 115

well that's why everyone only gets one vote. so let's be fair, people are still always entitled to their opinions regardless of the numbers. if they want to vote for their favorite player then let it be. numbers aren't everything, except the final vote tally.

• 2 months later...

Archived