• Earl Combs - Yankees
    • Joe DiMaggio - Yankees
    • Larry Doby - Indians
    • Fred Lynn - Red Sox
    • Mickey Mantle - Yankees
    • Al Simmons - A's
    • Reggie Smith - Red Sox/Dodgers
    • Tris Speaker - Red Sox/Indians

Ty Cobb slugged over .600 in the Deadball era. When it was like hitting a weight training ball, in parks with 400' lines. Tiger Stadium was 371 to right, 469 to dead center, and he slugged .600, not to mention 892 career SBs and an average of .366. 167 OPS+.

Dimaggio, on the other hand, was a still good 158, in 8 less seasons than Cobb, and had 862 less SBs. Mantle had a 172 OPS+, but played 5 less seasons.

It's a toss up, but the Georgia Peach takes it in my book. Dude was unbelievable.

Ty Cobb slugged over .600 in the Deadball era. When it was like hitting a weight training ball, in parks with 400' lines. Tiger Stadium was 371 to right, 469 to dead center, and he slugged .600, not to mention 892 career SBs and an average of .366. 167 OPS+.

Dimaggio, on the other hand, was a still good 158, in 8 less seasons than Cobb, and had 862 less SBs. Mantle had a 172 OPS+, but played 5 less seasons.

It's a toss up, but the Georgia Peach takes it in my book. Dude was unbelievable.

Dude was also a colossal jerk. He still gets my vote though, he was amazing baseball-wise.

Cobb might have been the better box score filler but idk i just cant vote for him as the all time best because Mickey Mantle had a way of playing the game no one else has ever had. Cobb was good but Mantle is like the gold standard. He was the first real modern era superstar way before anyone knew what the modern era superstar would come to be defined as.

Griffey can't hold a candle to Mantle or Cobb. He only had 5 exemplary years, was atrocious defensively, and was very frequently injured.

Very, very good, but not the best ever.

okay most of that with almost anything else is always arguable...but come on, atrocious? carlos lee is an atrocious outfielder. there have been thousands of outfielders far worse than griffey, and plenty of them aren't atrocious.

Griffey can't hold a candle to Mantle or Cobb. He only had 5 exemplary years, was atrocious defensively, and was very frequently injured.

Very, very good, but not the best ever.

10 GG

get a clue

more HR's, , more 2B, more hits, more SB, more RBI, and same SLG all while playing fewer games than Mantle, Plus Mantle could not hold Jr's jock in the field

you want to talk about atrocious defensively take a look a Cobb's numbers

all round best CF (yes that means Hitting and Fielding) is JR

Griffey's Rate2 stats are varied. While they show him being above average in Seattle, he has been historically terrible since: 83, 78, 87, 93, 87, 86, 86 (last one RF, 2007). From BP 1996: "A truly great ballplayer, but a lousy defensive CF, despite his reputation. Should be in LF or RF. " I can't, unfortunately, find the articles on his defense, but it's another Jeterian case of reputation having nothing to do with reality.

Griffey and Mantle have similar lines, but Mantle played in a ginormous ballpark, with less injury time, in a less offensive era, with better defense. Even with all that, Cobb is better than both of them.

Look at some of Cobb's numbers:

HR's - Top 3 in the league - 5 times, won 1

RBI's - Top 3 in the league - 7 times, won 4

TB's - Top 3 in the league - 10 times, won 6

SLG - Top 3 in the league - 14 times, won 8

Mantle can't match that and Cobb was as good a fielder as Mantle and definitely a better baserunner.

but of course. no one considers jr a HOF'er for his NL years. people age, some get hurt, some careers end early, some last longer. but for a decade he dominated his position. there wasn't anybody close. but that's what i'm looking at. i pretty much ignore the NL years cuz quite simply, the injuries got to him. it's unfortunate, but that's his reality. he just had a lot of injuries, and despite that was still able to put up HOF numbers. that's it. a quote from some article saying he's a lousy CF just quite substantial enough to convince me otherwise.

and if you think i'm crazy for throwing out the NL years, look at it this way. during those 6 seasons in Cincinnati he was hurt, bonds hit 249 hr's. if bonds had been hurt those years like griffey, he'd still put HOF numbers because of what he did before that. griffey may or may not have hit as many during those years if he was healthy, but he'd still have a hell of a lot more, and is still a HOF'er whether or not he was the best of all time. and that's far from atrocious. ten gold gloves...if it's that atrocious then the defensive game must've been farly superior in the past. which i just don't buy any way you will ever put it.

but i still choose cobb also.

Although I don't think Griffey is the guy, even though I still believe he could've gone down as the best ever(yes, I said it), it's completely unreasonable to say his defense is atrocious. Gold Gloves aren't just handed out, unless it's to Derek Jeter. To even say that Griffey had "bad" defense is probably unreasonable as well. Bear in mind, this is all of his AL Years when his hammy withered away in to nothing.

But anyway, my vote goes to the Mick.

Archived