Biggest schmucks in baseball of all time

abc006

Is that the proper spelling of "schmuks"? Does it only have an "sh" instead of "sch"? Perhaps it's "Shmuks"?

Anyway, among others are Ty Cobb (obviously - don't get me started), Rogers Hornsby (didn't go to his mother's funeral to play a game in the middle of the season, plus more all-around schmuk/schmuck/shmuk/shmuck-ness), Albert Belle (Just an all around idiot), Ugeth Urbina (Stabbed a couple of people to death, enough said. That's just scary.), and... some other racist and anti-semetic jerks in the early 1900s and teens whose names I forget, and don't really want to know.

On the side of more "they didn't really kill anybody or have disriminatory ideals but still are all-around jerks": Pedro Martinez, Curt Schilling, occasionally Gary Sheffield...

What do you think?

George W. Bush.
Good point, Bush was in baseball tragically for a bit. He made the great move of trading Sammy Sosa to the White Sox. However, I wouldn't call Bush only a schmuk, he, Cheney, Rummy, MC Rove... they're all in a very, very disturbing class of their own. I don't want to talk about it. gobluen, I don't really think paris hilton has every played pro ball, so she wouldn't really count, but... yeah, she would be very high on the shmuckess list, just below Laura Bush.

Anyway, among others are Ty Cobb (obviously - don't get me started), Rogers Hornsby (didn't go to his mother's funeral to play a game in the middle of the season,

First of all, good thread and welcome back to the U.S.

Ty Cobb was a product of his times. I am not really going to hammer on him for what he did because that's how things were back then. Cobb was a product of the deep south, and when he was born (in 1886) the south was still smarting over the Civil War. It was still a very touchy subject at the time. Cobb was forever mistrustful of Northerners and blacks, the two groups of people who he saw and many other people around him at the time, as the cause of the trouble in the south. Now, I won't give him a free pass for this, but I will say I see one reason why he was how he was.

As for Hornsby, you are correct and incorrect at the same time. Hornsby did put off going to his mother's funeral as you said, but this happened during the 1926 World Series and not in the middle of the season.

First of all, good thread and welcome back to the U.S.

Ty Cobb was a product of his times. I am not really going to hammer on him for what he did because that's how things were back then. Cobb was a product of the deep south, and when he was born (in 1886) the south was still smarting over the Civil War. It was still a very touchy subject at the time. Cobb was forever mistrustful of Northerners and blacks, the two groups of people who he saw and many other people around him at the time, as the cause of the trouble in the south. Now, I won't give him a free pass for this, but I will say I see one reason why he was how he was.

As for Hornsby, you are correct and incorrect at the same time. Hornsby did put off going to his mother's funeral as you said, but this happened during the 1926 World Series and not in the middle of the season.

Ok, I wasn't sure about that about Hornsby, thanks for correcting me. And yes, Cobb was a product of his times, that was how he was brought up, so in a way he had no way of not becoming a schmuck, but... he's still a schmuck, and one of the biggest ones in baseball history. :?

More to the point, though, is that I guess he wasn't the only one of those times like himself - I'm sure there were plenty of people just as schmucky as him, but his fame and actual baseball talent made him more of the famous schmucks of that era.

Because its meaning isn't exactly commonly known. I am in a Jewish youth group myself and of the 30+ people in it, me and one other person were the only people who knew its meaning (at least until we educated everyone else). It's not exactly a common word considering its from a language that nobody uses at all anymore.

Archived