Where Art Thou Shout Box?!?!?

mrmet06

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have not seen Wargames?

one of the best movies of the 80's

rent it, buy it do something

David Lightman (Matthew Broderick), is a high school computer hacker, who uses his 1970s vintage IMSAI microcomputer and modem (connected to the telephone by an acoustic coupler) to perform automated searches for systems connected to the public phone system, which he then cracks. Encountering a system displaying a list of games, he believes it to be a game company's computer, and gains access to it by carefully researching the system's programmer and guessing a backdoor password.

The system is actually a NORAD military artificial intelligence computer system called WOPR¹ that can control the United States' arsenal of ICBMs. The computerized control had been introduced after, during a test of operational readiness, twenty-two percent of crews tested failed to launch their missiles.

The teenager, unaware of the machine's real purpose, discovers what he believes to be a simulation game called "Global Thermonuclear War" and begins to "play." Unbeknownst to him, WOPR sets in motion preparations for a real attack against the Soviet Union. With the aid of the machine's creator (Wood), disaster is narrowly averted when the hacker manages to teach WOPR about the futility of war by getting it to play endless drawn games of tic-tac-toe against itself which segue into cycles through all the nuclear war strategies that WOPR has devised. WOPR then learns that "the only winning move is not to play".

keep in mind when you watch the movie the role of Dr. Stephen Falken was written with John Lennon in mind, but he died before filming

You're right, in any situation where I'm being persecuted, I'll just give up under the presumption that life isn't fair!

If you think life is fair you have serious issues, you take what life gives and make the best of it. Sometimes you come out way ahead some times you don't. Just remember when you come out way ahead it is normally because someone else got shafted

I never said give up, quit being melodramatic. It is not the whole world against you, here and now it is one man (who hold a lot of power on this site) that hates you and wants you gone. Don't do something that allows him to get rid of you, if you do he wins. If you stick around you will be a thorn in his side because he wants you gone and you are not

Ok, now I got to watch this movie. Honest to God you guys, I've seen this listed on TV all the time over the years but I never once watched it. I also have not seen Scarface either.

See scarface :wtg:

Tony: "What'd you tell 'em?"

Manny Ray (Steven Bauer): "I told 'em what you told me to tell 'em. I told 'em-- I told 'em we were-- I was in sanitation. They didn't go for it."

Tony: "Sanitation?"

Manny: "Yeah."

Tony: "I told you to tell 'em you was in a sanitarium not sanitation. Sanitarium, yeah."

Manny: "Wait, you didn't tell..."

Tony: "No, I told you to say you had TB and you was in a sanitarium and you was cured."

Manny: "That was-- When did you tell me that?"

Tony: "Come on, you should have kept your mouth shut anyway."

Manny: "Okay."

Tony: "They'd have thought you was a horse and let you out."

Y4L, what are doing prowling these boards man. Get to watching!

I have probably watched Wargames about 5 times and its actually one of my favorite movies. BTW, have you guys watched Spy Game? That's another one of my favorite movies.

Y4L, what are doing prowling these boards man. Get to watching!

I have probably watched Wargames about 5 times and its actually one of my favorite movies. BTW, have you guys watched Spy Game? That's another one of my favorite movies.

I can't. I got to go watch "Splash" with my wife very soon. Yeah I know, I'm henpecked. Hahahahaha

Fred, I think it's such a high-profile film, especially in the lower-income urban areas all over the world, not because it's a great piece of film-making, but rather, because of what it represents - someone who grew up with nothing taking his life into his own hands and "making it" by any means necessary, then doing whatever necessary to protect what he has.

He just happens to be doing copious amounts of cocaine while doing it. :lol:

Scarface is one of my favourites. It's not all too dissimilar from Rocky...at least on the "making it" part. I can't see Sylvester Stallone making a Rocky 7 where he throws in the towel at Adrian's Restaurant to pursue a budding career in the cocaine industry. :lol:

Archived