When We Were Kings: A KC Royals Dynasty ...

CircleChange11

800px-Kauffman_Stadium.jpg

Franchise – Kansas City Royals

Version – MVP07

Rosters – KG 6.2

Datafile – Kamula Final

Slider – Pro, Kamula

Slider Changes – batter contact 20 for both teams

Gameplay Format – Alternate between play & sim (challenge and realism)

Gameplay style – [1] I mix up pitches and move around the zone, on and off the plate, [2] When hitting I usually take until I get a strike in order to achieve accurate pitch counts and AI pitcher fatigue, [3] In each at bat I limit myself to one “push up on the stick†swing, usually just with hitters with power potential, [4] I prefer speed over power.

Kansas City Royals History ...

KC has a rich baseball history which includes hosting the Kansas City Athletics, the Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro League (including being the home of the Negro League Hall of Fame, and legendary ballplayer and character Buck O’Neill), and providing the training grounds for former KC minor leaguers Roger Maris and Mickey mantle. In the late 70s through the mid 80s, the Royals experienced a lot of success in the AL West, with a lineup bolstered by Frank White, George Brett, and Hal McRae.

George_Brett_79_1080.jpg

The Royals would dominate the AL West from 1976-1978, winning 3 consecutive division titles under the leadership of Whitey “The White Rat†Herzog. Herzog’s last year with the team was 1979, when the Royals finished 2nd. In 1980, the Royals would again resume their King status in the division under Jim Frey, during George Brett’s magical season in which he chased .400, and ended up hitting .390.

The Royals would also take the division during the strike-shortened 1981 season. During this year the club would transition from Jim Frey to Dick Howser. Howser’s Royals would finish 2nd in the West in 82 and 83, before taking 1st in the next 2 seasons, giving the Royals 7 division titles in 10 years.

The glaring void in the Royals’ success was the absence of a World Series title. The Kings of the AL West were eliminated by the Yankees in 76, 77, and 78, before getting revenge on The Evil Empire in 1980, only to suffer defeat at the hands of the Phillies. In 81 they were eliminated by the A’s and then the Tigers in 84.

Royals%20Greats.jpg

Finally in 1985, the Royals worked their magic, overtaking the Blue Jays 4-3, and beating the Cardinals in 7 games with superb pitching by young Bret Saberhagen and bad call by AL umpire Don Denkinger on what would have been the final out of the series, giving the Royals new life as they won game 7, 11-0. The Royals were finally world champs, winning the memorable I-70 series ... and topping their former manager, Herzog, who led the Cards to a WS title in 82, and two more WS appearances, in 85 and 87.

denkinger%20100455.JPG

The Royals would finish 3rd or better in the division through 1990, before starting a trend of futility that would last until present day. The Royals have not won the division in the last 22 years, and have finished last 8 times, including the last 5 years. The Royals have seen their young talent like Carlos Beltran, Johnny Damon, and Raul Ibanez flourish with larger market teams, while they endure with the Mike Sweeneys and Joe Randas of the baseball world.

3-21%20Gordon.jpg

But, there is a ray of light at the end of the tunnel. Stocked with young players like Mark Teahen, Billy Butler, Zack Grienke, Alex Gordon, Luke Hochevar, Soria, & Jacob Ryan (CAP) and established veterans Jose Guillen and Gil Meche, the Royals look poised to start an upswing and perhaps add another successful chapter to their rich baseball history.

More to come ... shortly

Edit: I think it was the changes I made in the divisional realignment and/or a mistake I made using the balanced schedule generator that was causing the crashes.

So, this will be a straight up AL Central KC Royals franchise.

I installed the reboot edition of 07 and tested the stadiums/teams that were crashing and it works.

So, here I go again (as the song says).

I’m a stat geek trapped in an athlete’s body, so I will post my game stats (box score extractor), try to incorporate game images (FRAPS), and keep track of monthly/season player stats (I have an excel spreadsheet ready to go). I will tinker with the sliders as I go to try and get game result averages that mirror major league averages (I did this with great results with MLB 2k8 for 360).

I’m limited by time (busy job as an administrator, 3 young kids, coaching, strength-training … oh, and a wife) so I will update (box scores, storylines, pics/fraps, etc) at the end of each series. It’s really just for my own amusement, but if others enjoy … so be it.

Next up, lineups & rotation and team overview.

Normally, when I play with a team, I trade veterans for younger players. But, since the Royals have players like Meche and Guillen who are vastly overpaid, trading them for younger talent would be unrealistic, so I'll exercise restraint and avoid the temptation.

I also always create a mid-level rookie and work to develop them. This seson I have created SS, Jacob Ryan (my 7yo's first and middle name) to create a personal touch and increase my interest in the franchise. More on that later.

mvp20052008-09-1719-52-16-43.jpg

I still can't get over how KC is 5-1 v. DET (7-2 v. DET & BOS), and 4-6 v. everyone else (2-5 not counting BOS).

The division looks as if it's going to be stacked. Sorta shows how far under-achieving Cleveland and Detroit were this year.

Next update -- Individual player stats & Twins series, as well as, slider results (played & sim) versus MLB averages.

nice dynasty , but Billy Butler traded to SF ? :(

Unfortunately the Royals have too many good young players that are cast from the same mold ... decent contact, average power, below average speed, poor defense.

Where's butler gonna play? 1B over Gload and Duncan? In the OF where his speed is a liability?

He could DH, but that's a spot where lots of guys can fill. Really, Butler and Teahen were the two "disposable players" that could get the most in trade. Costa and Shealy wouldn't get as much in return. THe offense is now rated at 15th, but pitching was 30th (after trading Meche and Soria), so I needed pitching and I got that from SF (who desperately needed offense).

I like Butler, especially against lefties, but you can only have so many OF/1B types on one roster ... and a team doesn't face enough lefties (Butler's strongest trait) to keep him over Gload, Duncan, Costa, etc (beter against righties).

Ya gotta give something to get something.

Archived