'If I were President' Compendium

piratesmvp04

Do I have your vote?  

15 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Undecided.

I'm going to pretend I'm running for president right now and post my policies here. If you want to do the same, go ahead! Let's see who can get the most votes!

NOTE: No personal attacks; let's keep this respectful, yet let the candidate know how much you like or hate his plan.

[align=center]Piratesmvp04 Policy[/align]

piratesmvp04 doctrine

My doctrine is that the use of our troops should always be a last resort. Careful diplomacy should always come first. Second, weapons should be sent to the nations along with instructional troops to train their military to use them. Third, would be to send combat troops into the country.

War on Terror

A stable Middle-East is essential to the national security of the US. As president, I will end the war in Iraq as quick as possible so we can shift attention to Afghanistan. This will be done through careful military strategy as determined by General Petraus. I also propose that Congress pass a bill to send weapons to Iraq and train them to use it so they can fight their own war. We can then shift our troops to Afghanistan and stabilize that region.

Energy

The United States buys most of it's oil from foreign countries. This is not necessary because we have energy sources here in the US. The best energy solution is one that is clean and cheap. However, we must know that we will never be 100% free from oil in the foreseeable future. Nevertheless, we can reduce the use of oil by using alternative fuels. I propose a government-subsidized research program to research alternative fuels for cars. I also propose that we follow T.Boon Pickens' plan for wind power by building a wind power system, and then selling it to a private company to earn back the taxpayer dollars. While this is being done, I propose that Congress open offshore and ANWR territory to drilling. This will bring the prices down while we conduct research.

Economy

I believe the government should pass mandates requiring corporations to report all their loans to a federal committee that will provide checks to ensure that a loan crisis does not happen again.

I will also work with Congress to get the FairTax passed. This will make taxes cheaper for Americans, and it will give businesses more incentives to invest in America.

I will cut wasteful spending on Social Security for people that do not even live in the US.

I will begin free government-run financial advise programs to train people to manage money properly.

Healthcare

While the Constitution does not grant the right to health care, the government can still take measures to insure the people. I propose a tax incentive program for health insurance companies. Health insurance companies will recieve lower taxes the more they lower their rates. If they lower their rates to a certain amount as determined by my financial experts, they will pay no taxes.

I will also subsidize a fitness gym to provide free membership to citizens within a certain income status. When people are healthier, they will not need medical help as much.

In addition to this, I will expand Medicaid to provide free insurance for permanent illnesses such as cancer, type 1 diabetes, etc. This service will be offered to people who cannot afford health insurance even after going through our financial management and fitness programs.

Education

I believe in the right to the education of your choice, but I also believe the government should require schooling for all children. I will try to convince all 50 states to make homeschooling legal. If the FairTax is not passed, I will change the tax structure so that people who do not put their children in public do not have to pay school tax. I am against President Bush's voucher plan.

Gun Laws

I uphold the 2nd Amendment. Every law-abiding citizen should have full rights to own a gun. However, I believe that all guns should be registered. Currently, one can buy a handgun in some states with registering it. That is not safe. One must be required to register all weapons. Every gun purchase (guns, ammo, etc.) must be monitored by the government, and if a person makes a huge purchase at one time, he must be contacted by a government gun safety agency to inquire of the large purchase.

Women's Rights

I believe that life begins at the moment of conception, and science proves that this is true. Thus, I will ask Congress to pass a bill banning abortions. I will also improve the adoption system so that women can release their children into good hands.

Healthcare

I will also subsidize a fitness gym to provide free membership to citizens within a certain income status. When people are healthier, they will not need medical help as much.

In addition to this, I will expand Medicaid to provide free insurance for permanent illnesses such as cancer, type 1 diabetes, etc. This service will be offered to people who cannot afford health insurance even after going through our financial management and fitness programs.

How are you going to pay for this?

Doctors can regulate how many medicaid patients they see now, if there are more, that means longer waits and less access to healthcare.

I do like the idea of fitness centers for the poor, but again that is costly! How are these centers going to be staffed.

Women's Rights

I will also improve the adoption system so that women can release their children into good hands.

That's just funny. Like letting an injured deer back into the wilderness.

"Off young unwanted rape-born child you will be loved... someday, maybe."

How are you going to pay for this?

Doctors can regulate how many medicaid patients they see now, if there are more, that means longer waits and less access to healthcare.

I do like the idea of fitness centers for the poor, but again that is costly! How are these centers going to be staffed.

The fitness centers will be a private company that is subsidized by the government. For example, the government would sign a contract with LA Fitness to provide free membership to poor people. The money for this will come from the FairTax, which will free up a lot of tax dollars that are being wasted. Also, I can't find the source, but I read that we are wasting millions of dollars on social security benefits for people who don't live in this country(which is actually illegal, but is done due to bad management). That money could better be used for people who live here.

War on Terror

I also propose that Congress pass a bill to send weapons to Iraq and train them to use it so they can fight their own war.

Isn't this what happened in the '90s when the U.S. sent weapons to the Afghans during their fight with the Russians, which, ironically, ended up being used to fight U.S. troops in Afghanistan after September 11th?

Economy

I will also work with Congress to get the FairTax passed. This will make taxes cheaper for Americans, and it will give businesses more incentives to invest in America.

Will it make taxes cheaper for Americans, as you said, or some Americans? Who will benefit and detriment from it? Corporations, middle classes, or lower classes?

Healthcare

A privatised fitness centre...hmm. At what point will this be government influenced? What happens when the company starts to perform "extra" services that have to subscribed to, the standard government services are reduced gradually, and soon, the "only" option that people perceive as being available are the ones that the company provides?

Also, medical assistance requirement is likely to spike during the start-up stages as unfit people fall off treadmills, don't have a spot for weights etc. How many black eyes will the government take for this when people keep complaining of injuries caused in government-sponsored fitness centres?

Gun Laws

I uphold the 2nd Amendment. Every law-abiding citizen should have full rights to own a gun. However, I believe that all guns should be registered. Currently, one can buy a handgun in some states with registering it. That is not safe. One must be required to register all weapons. Every gun purchase (guns, ammo, etc.) must be monitored by the government, and if a person makes a huge purchase at one time, he must be contacted by a government gun safety agency to inquire of the large purchase.

What is the cut-off for "gun purchase"? Are deactivated guns included in this? If not, why not? What actions will be taken to control the importation, distribution, sale, and use of guns which have been altered to insert "blanks" in the barrel to prevent use with live ammo, but can be modified easily to be made live again? What's your policy on hunting? What's the definition of "huge purchase"? How do you plan to contact the person if they, for example, don't have a home telephone or live at no fixed abode?

Women's Rights

I believe that life begins at the moment of conception, and science proves that this is true. Thus, I will ask Congress to pass a bill banning abortions. I will also improve the adoption system so that women can release their children into good hands.

Is this to be affected by cases of incest or rape, or when the mother is unfit to provide parental care, such as in certain medical cases?

Isn't this what happened in the '90s when the U.S. sent weapons to the Afghans during their fight with the Russians, which, ironically, ended up being used to fight U.S. troops in Afghanistan after September 11th?

True, but that's why we can't just give them to any country. There is a real risk that weapons may fall into the wrong hands, but if we make wise decisions on who gets weapons and who doesn't, this plan will work. For example, I think the best attack strategy for Iran (if it ever came down to that) would be to give Israel the weapons it needs to win the war. Now, for a country like Georgia, that's a different story.

Economy

Will it make taxes cheaper for Americans, as you said, or some Americans? Who will benefit and detriment from it? Corporations, middle classes, or lower classes?

A privatised fitness centre...hmm. At what point will this be government influenced? What happens when the company starts to perform "extra" services that have to subscribed to, the standard government services are reduced gradually, and soon, the "only" option that people perceive as being available are the ones that the company provides?

Also, medical assistance requirement is likely to spike during the start-up stages as unfit people fall off treadmills, don't have a spot for weights etc. How many black eyes will the government take for this when people keep complaining of injuries caused in government-sponsored fitness centres?

Legitimate points. This is why the government needs to have a contract with a fitness center that clearly defines what is offered and what is not. Now, when the fitness center adds new amenities, we'll deal with that. But, it's not like they're doing that constantly.

About the increased need for medical people due to accidents, the government will have to subsidize more employees to work at the place. The government should also work with the fitness center to release an information packet with the safety precautions. Members will have to sign the sheet saying that they have read and will abide by the rules.

What is the cut-off for "gun purchase"? Are deactivated guns included in this? If not, why not? What actions will be taken to control the importation, distribution, sale, and use of guns which have been altered to insert "blanks" in the barrel to prevent use with live ammo, but can be modified easily to be made live again? What's your policy on hunting? What's the definition of "huge purchase"? How do you plan to contact the person if they, for example, don't have a home telephone or live at no fixed abode?

A gun purchase is the purchase of any required piece of merchandise that relates to a firearm, i.e., guns, ammunition, etc. So, you're not going to get into trouble if for whatever reason you buy 10 scopes from Gander Mountain (though only an idiot would do that). I do support hunting as long as it does endanger the existence of the hunted specie. A huge purchase is defined as buying 3 or more guns in one month. Also, contacting the person will not be an issue because in order to get a gun license, you would have to put contact information which includes a phone number.

Is this to be affected by cases of incest or rape, or when the mother is unfit to provide parental care, such as in certain medical cases?

I believe that destroying a fetus is murder, so I have no reservation for that. I know you and others will disagree fiercely with me on that one, and that's why I'm cautious about discussing this because I don't want to start a debate that will go nowhere.

BTW, very good questions!

Platform: To turn the focus of the American agenda back on our country and its citizens.

Education: Abolish 'No Child Left Behind' and put real educators in charge of the country's fledgling education system. My focus would be to dramatically raise teacher's salaries; provide more incentive for teachers who teach in low-income, urban areas; dramatically raise the dollar amount that is funding our nation's schools; make education the #1 priority of this country.

Government Assistance: My #2 priority would be to help our country's less fortunate -- build more homeless shelters; start a program to better clean up and train the homeless to help them re-enter the work force; dramatically raise the minimum wage requirements to ease the burden on those working several jobs to get by.

Jobs: Heavily tax companies that ship their jobs overseas; heavily tax and/or punish companies that hire illegal immigrants; reward companies who donate to local areas, charities, improve worker's pay/rights, etc.

Energy: Give American oil companies 13 years to shut down and find a new source of revenue; increase production/research on electric cars; require carbon caps on all new cars; require car manufacturers to produce only hybrid cars; dramatically increase the funding for new sources of energy.

Taxes: Reduce taxes on struggling families to next to nothing; reduce taxes on families making less than $100,000; raise taxes on billionaires and large corporations; find a way to reduce the tax for those who need it and raise the tax on those who can afford it -- essentially work towards bridging the economic gap that allows for a country to be home to both millions of homeless and the largest corporations in the world.

Drugs: Stop filling our prisons/jails with marijuana dealers and smokers -- reduce the penalties and leagalize marijuana use only in the home; heavily tax cigarette companies and give company executives 7 years to shut down and find a new source of revenue, regulate marijuana use and tax it's sale; continue work to ban dangerous drugs.

Guns: Stop the sale of heavy firearms for hunting and other personal use; work to reduce the amount of citizens carrying guns on a daily basis; work harder to get guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals and gangs.

Military: Remove ALL forces from Iraq and Afghanistan immediately; lessen our troop numbers in various locations throughout the world; cut funding for the military and divert that money to education and other government programs to help our citizens; improve benefits for soldiers who enlist and those who have retired/been injured.

Defense: Shore up defenses at home; pulling troops from areas they're not wanted will help to ease some tensions; raise the pay and requirements to become a police officer; bulk up security at nation's airports, ports, train stations, etc.

Foreign Affairs: Remove ALL forces from Iraq and Afghanistan immediately; lessen our troop numbers in various locations throughout the world; Call for a truce/ceasefire with Islamic extremists in the Middle East -- reducing our involvement with Israeli politics will help ease those tensions; become more active with the UN and stage active talks with countries that are viewed as friendly and also those viewed as 'threats' -- diplomacy will replace the "shoot first, ask questions later" policy; lessen our direct involvement abroad until we are strong at home.

I didn't realize you were that extreme in your opinions. Anways, I actually meant for you to start a whole new thread with a poll asking who will 'vote' for you. We can make this a fun thing by starting threads for our political beliefs and seeing who gets the most votes.

Thanks for answering my questions pirates, appreciated. :)

I have to admit, I was thinking a phone number would be required to actually get a registration for firearms in the first place, but, being from the U.K., didn't know for sure. What would occur if the number is then disconnected, or the resident moves house without informing the authorities? Wouldn't this then turn essentially a registered firearm into an unregistered one, as the registration is pretty much invalid as it contains inaccurate contact information? What would be the proactive plan to deal with that? Also, what would be the process for dealing with a reseller of firearms or weapons accessories, such as, like you said, scopes, holsters, laser sights etc.? My background is obviously in I.T., but I know resellers of stock often buy hundreds, if not thousands, of stock at one time. What's to prevent someone simply stating they were starting their own business as a reseller? Finally, isn't it better to inquire as to the use of the goods prior to the purchase and before the person takes possession of them, rather than later, when they can then move them as necessary, or evade the authorities - or even use them in a malicious manner prior to the authorities even hearing about it from the dealership where the items were purchased? Proactive response is always better than reactive.

As for the abortions thing, without getting into a debate, I assume you would also make illegal the "morning after pill"? What precautions would be put in place to prevent a mother having a so-called "coat-hanger abortion", and ending up with serious internal injuries (that then possibly require hospital treatment, pushing an already stretched medical system even further) simply because a government wants to tell her what she can and cannot do with her body? (On a personal note, I've seen 13 and 14 year old kids actually who've actually done this and, trust me, it's not nice. One ended up in hospital for 3 weeks after causing some internal damage.) What's to prevent a mother simply finding out she's pregnant, going out for 3 months in a row and downing tequilas, ecstasy and doing backflips and having her own D.I.Y. abortion, while having a great time doing it?

With that said, and all seriousness aside, if you do this;

Have a hot vp and just have mad sex with her all the time.

...and post multimedia on the White House website for your loyal subjects to view, I'm pretty sure you'll get a good amount of votes anyway, regardless of what your policies are. :D

...and post multimedia on the White House website for your loyal subjects to view, I'm pretty sure you'll get a good amount of votes anyway, regardless of what your policies are. :D

And instead of winking at the camera I'd have her swallow the microphone. She'd deepthroat that mic into the next election. Who can compete with that?

Thanks for answering my questions pirates, appreciated. :)

I have to admit, I was thinking a phone number would be required to actually get a registration for firearms in the first place, but, being from the U.K., didn't know for sure. What would occur if the number is then disconnected, or the resident moves house without informing the authorities? Wouldn't this then turn essentially a registered firearm into an unregistered one, as the registration is pretty much invalid as it contains inaccurate contact information? What would be the proactive plan to deal with that? Also, what would be the process for dealing with a reseller of firearms or weapons accessories, such as, like you said, scopes, holsters, laser sights etc.? My background is obviously in I.T., but I know resellers of stock often buy hundreds, if not thousands, of stock at one time. What's to prevent someone simply stating they were starting their own business as a reseller? Finally, isn't it better to inquire as to the use of the goods prior to the purchase and before the person takes possession of them, rather than later, when they can then move them as necessary, or evade the authorities - or even use them in a malicious manner prior to the authorities even hearing about it from the dealership where the items were purchased? Proactive response is always better than reactive

I'm not sure about people changing addresses. I think you be required by law to report address changes, but I could be wrong. Nevertheless, unless you're a commie, you wouldn't move away and cut yourself off from communication just to own illegal weapons. That reminds me of another point I forgot to say. In addition to registering firearms, I also think that every gun purchaser must take a gun safety course and background check before they purchase their gun.

As for the abortions thing, without getting into a debate, I assume you would also make illegal the "morning after pill"? What precautions would be put in place to prevent a mother having a so-called "coat-hanger abortion", and ending up with serious internal injuries (that then possibly require hospital treatment, pushing an already stretched medical system even further) simply because a government wants to tell her what she can and cannot do with her body? (On a personal note, I've seen 13 and 14 year old kids actually who've actually done this and, trust me, it's not nice. One ended up in hospital for 3 weeks after causing some internal damage.) What's to prevent a mother simply finding out she's pregnant, going out for 3 months in a row and downing tequilas, ecstasy and doing backflips and having her own D.I.Y. abortion, while having a great time doing it?

I have to admit that I don't really have an answer to that. I've heard all the things you've mentioned, and those are the main premises that Pro-Choice people use to support their cause. I can understand their reasoning, but for me, I believe that abortion is murder, and I couldn't in my own conscious sign a bill to allow that.

Platform: To turn the focus of the American agenda back on our country and its citizens.

Education: Abolish 'No Child Left Behind' and put real educators in charge of the country's fledgling education system. My focus would be to dramatically raise teacher's salaries; provide more incentive for teachers who teach in low-income, urban areas; dramatically raise the dollar amount that is funding our nation's schools; make education the #1 priority of this country.

Government Assistance: My #2 priority would be to help our country's less fortunate -- build more homeless shelters; start a program to better clean up and train the homeless to help them re-enter the work force; dramatically raise the minimum wage requirements to ease the burden on those working several jobs to get by.

Health: Similar to systems set up throughout Europe, I will institute a free government universal health care system, ensuring every citizen of the United States will have free and unlimited access to medical treatment -- because medical treatment is a human right, not a privilege available to those who pay.

Jobs: Heavily tax companies that ship their jobs overseas; heavily tax and/or punish companies that hire illegal immigrants; reward companies who donate to local areas, charities, improve worker's pay/rights, etc.

Energy: Give American oil companies 13 years to shut down and find a new source of revenue; increase production/research on electric cars; require carbon caps on all new cars; require car manufacturers to produce only hybrid cars; dramatically increase the funding for new sources of energy.

Taxes: Reduce taxes on struggling families to next to nothing; reduce taxes on families making less than $100,000; raise taxes on billionaires and large corporations; find a way to reduce the tax for those who need it and raise the tax on those who can afford it -- essentially work towards bridging the economic gap that allows for a country to be home to both millions of homeless and the largest corporations in the world.

Drugs: Stop filling our prisons/jails with marijuana dealers and smokers -- reduce the penalties and leagalize marijuana use only in the home; heavily tax cigarette companies and give company executives 7 years to shut down and find a new source of revenue, regulate marijuana use and tax it's sale; continue work to ban dangerous drugs.

Guns: Stop the sale of heavy firearms for hunting and other personal use; work to reduce the amount of citizens carrying guns on a daily basis; work harder to get guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals and gangs.

Military: Remove ALL forces from Iraq and Afghanistan immediately; lessen our troop numbers in various locations throughout the world; cut funding for the military and divert that money to education and other government programs to help our citizens; improve benefits for soldiers who enlist and those who have retired/been injured.

Defense: Shore up defenses at home; pulling troops from areas they're not wanted will help to ease some tensions; raise the pay and requirements to become a police officer; bulk up security at nation's airports, ports, train stations, etc.

Foreign Affairs: Remove ALL forces from Iraq and Afghanistan immediately; lessen our troop numbers in various locations throughout the world; Call for a truce/ceasefire with Islamic extremists in the Middle East -- reducing our involvement with Israeli politics will help ease those tensions; become more active with the UN and stage active talks with countries that are viewed as friendly and also those viewed as 'threats' -- diplomacy will replace the "shoot first, ask questions later" policy; lessen our direct involvement abroad until we are strong at home.

piratesmvp04 doctrine

My doctrine is that the use of our troops should always be a last resort. Careful diplomacy should always come first. Second, weapons should be sent to the nations along with instructional troops to train their military to use them. Third, would be to send combat troops into the country.

Like was previously said, this kind of idea is what got us into the "War on Terror" in the first place -- very, very bad idea.

War on Terror

A stable Middle-East is essential to the national security of the US. As president, I will end the war in Iraq as quick as possible so we can shift attention to Afghanistan. This will be done through careful military strategy as determined by General Petraus. I also propose that Congress pass a bill to send weapons to Iraq and train them to use it so they can fight their own war. We can then shift our troops to Afghanistan and stabilize that region.

Why are we worrying about stabilizing other nations while our own country is far from stable? Are the citizens of the world more important to our government than American citizens?

Women's Rights

It's ironic that this is entitled "Women's Rights".

Wow you are about as far left as I am, but I'm not down with taxing cigarettes

They not only kill those who smoke them, but also those around smokers as well. When you add in the toxins/smell they put into the air at restaurants, trains, and outdoor events, cigarettes are a health and cultural nuisance.

Taxing them and forcing cigarette companies to find other sources of revenue are for the betterment of our society.

You want to legalize marijuana and eliminate cigarettes??

A study by UCLA show that marijuana is a greater cancer risk than tobacco

THC promotes tumor growth by impairing the body's anti-tumor immunity system

UCLA scientists also found that the tar in marijuana smoke contains higher concentrations of substances called hydrocarbons than tar from tobacco smoke does. These hydrocarbons are a key factor in promoting human lung cancer.

Health: Similar to systems set up throughout Europe, I will institute a free government universal health care system, ensuring every citizen of the United States will have free and unlimited access to medical treatment -- because medical treatment is a human right, not a privilege available to those who pay.

The Constitution doesn't declare this as a right.

The government doesn't have a right to tell companies to shut down or make laws telling car companies what kind of cars they can make. That's socialism, and the United States is not a socialist country. I do agree with increasing funding for research of alternative fuels.

What will you do when companies raise prices to make up for your higher taxes? What will you do when companies start laying off people because your high taxes hurt them financially?

The 2nd amendment says, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." How does your proposition agree with this?

What if China and Russia continue to increase their military and become stronger than ours?

But you just said you wanted to cut funding for the military. How are we going to increase defenses if we don't have more funding?

One last question: A lot of the ideas you're suggesting are very costly. How are you going to pay for all these things?

Like was previously said, this kind of idea is what got us into the "War on Terror" in the first place -- very, very bad idea.

Let me reiterate and see if you still don't like it. There are 3 steps that I would take in my approach towards enemy nations.

1. Careful diplomacy-meet with them to discuss sanctions if they do not abide by certain requirements. I will not meet with them on a presidential level without preconditions, however, I will send diplomats to speak with them.

2. If that doesn't work and we feel war is necessary, we will send weapons to the country that is endangered by the enemy nation. We will send instructional troops to train them in the use and protection of these weapons. This is where most cases would end hopefully.

3. If steps 1 and 2 do not solve the crisis, the last resort is to send our military to war. However, it is ideal that most problems are resolved with the first 2 steps.

Why are we worrying about stabilizing other nations while our own country is far from stable? Are the citizens of the world more important to our government than American citizens?

Because we are keeping Al-Quaeda at bay by our presence in the Middle-East. Killing our military is higher priority than launching terrorist attacks on our country.

Archived