The Mlb 2k9 Impressions Thread

Trues

i'm playing the demo. what button do you need to hit to send your guy stealing? can't figure this out at all.

demo is kinda ok, pitching looks cool, hitting is way too easy (think it's on pro), but the strike zone is way too big! and so's the ball cursor, it's like a softball. and since there's no variable zone and blown calls it's easy to guess wheter the ball will be called strike (almoust always because zone is really big).

that franchise bug is just awfull and a deal breaker for me so i won't be getting this game untill they patch it, franchise is the only thing i play.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am getting the game tomorrow from 2K (didn't think it would take this long to get), but I did download the demo last night.

The graphics in general look great IMHO, the faces on the players are god awful, all of their mouths are just sitting there open, but everything just seem so smooth, whether its pitching or fielding. Base running seems like a pain in the butt to me, but I really think it is that I am not used to the controls for 2K, the hitting took me forever to even figure out how to swing the bat. I saw in somebody else's post that the strike zone is too big, I have to agree with that 100%. While pitching (played about 4 3 inning games)I didn't walk one batter, got to 3 balls a couple of times, but thats about it. I did strike out a bunch of guys, but pitching with Kazmir against 3 lefties like the Phillies have isn't going to be tough. As for batting, maybe it is just me, but every pitch looks hittable coming out of the pitchers hand, pretty much meaning I am swinging at everything. I took a few pitches that looked iffy, but they were called strikes. If there is a way to shrink that strike zone, I really think it would make for a better game on both sides of the ball.

Not sure if it is going to be like this in the final product, but pickoffs are ridiculous. I think I picked off 4 guys on about 8 attempts.

I mentioned in another thread about portraits, it looks like they dropped the ball on this, Chad Bradford still has an O's hat on, Ben Zobrist doesn't even have a picture. I know these guys aren't superstars, but come on, Bradford was a very important part to their pen and is a very solid major leaguer.

I really do not know too much on what the modders will be able to do to this game, but I think this game is ALMOST there, a few tweeks to uniforms, stadiums, and faces and I think that will help a ton, but portraits have always been my pet peeve, I hope they are as available as they were in MVP.

I do like this game, and in all reality MVP has turned into a coaster for me, as much as I loved that game and as many hours I put into playing it (playing all 162 games a season over 5 seasons) I really cannot put it into my computer anymore, I have just had enough of it. I really hope the community here is able to do half they things they did with MVP, if they can, I truly believe everybody will end up being very happy with it.

"for as much as I hate Steve Phillips, I actually like the commentary in this game"

Next gen baseball for pc, I can't hate.

I enjoy the zone hitting, it's like MVP baseball but using the stick for timing instead of a button. What I think is great about it is what I noticed in practice mode. Timing really makes a difference in your quality of contact. I think you might have to learn different backswing timings for different types of players. While doing a very quick back and forth motion, I got some pretty weak hits. While timing my backswing with the landing of the pitcher's lead foot, I was getting some pretty good hits. Going to have to test it some more. I don't really like the bat sound.

I love the pitching controls. What I am doing is making the motion and holding it at the end until the circle fills, then releasing. I believe this may be wrong, but it works on most pitches. I hate the catcher's decisions, I may turn them off. I enjoyed K'ing the other pitcher with three straight high fastballs out of the zone.

Fielding takes a little getting used to, but I hate not being able to choose the speed at which my player is moving. Sometimes I am trying to get my player to run, and they are just barely moving. It reminds me of the cpu ai in MVP Baseball, where they would jog slowly and make it to the spot just in time to make a catch instead of run there, get under it and then catch it. I was using the face buttons to throw unti I accidentally moved the right stick. The right stick is alot more responsive. After learning that the Left Trigger or L2 was a quick throw, I was finally able to pull off some double plays. There is no button to cutoff a throw that I know of other than directly throwing to a cutoff man.

With baserunning, I am so confused. I don't really like the controls, but atleast you can aim your slide and attempt to run over the catcher.

Sliders are almost incomprehensible to me.

I hit a two run homerun to take the lead late and the crowd must have been asleep or something. Also, it looked as if the ball just went through the stands and bounced on the ground into the parking lot. I thought the fans were supposed to fight for the ball or something.

Love the commentary. Enough said.

I hope I missed something but when creating a player, I found no options for choosing my batting stance. On the bright side, the face morphing options were simpler and alot better than NBA 2K9's, not to mention the greatest option ever - Butt Size. Next year, they can top it by adding cup size. :p

I had to use my logitech profiler to get my analog buttons to work so I could view a player's card. No biggie, I had to do the same thing in NBA 2K9.

this game totally blows in the visuals department dude. I've got dual hd-radeon 4870x2, 8 gigs of ram, quad core i7 blaH BLAH.

This game suckkkkssssssss major wee-wee. Josh becket looks like the devil, and no one else who's even a middle star looks like who they're supposed to look like.

I miss EA man.

this game totally blows in the visuals department dude. I've got dual hd-radeon 4870x2, 8 gigs of ram, quad core i7 blaH BLAH.

This game suckkkkssssssss major wee-wee. Josh becket looks like the devil, and no one else who's even a middle star looks like who they're supposed to look like.

I miss EA man.

Yeah, they butchered a lot of faces and some bodies are twigs. Some of the stadiums look really good to me though. Alot of textures have nice bump maps and reflective maps. EA would not have done better considering what they did for the franchises on PC.

Sadly, I feel like I've made a $20.00 donation to 2K Sports. It's a shame, because when the game doesn't crash to the desktop between the 5-6 inning, or the fielding controls actually decide to work, or when I actually know what the hell I'm doing with the pitching controls, or when the AI doesn't swing at EVERY pitch close to the strike zone, or the ball doesn't get trapped at the base of the wall and is unable to retrieve resulting in an inside the park HR, or when I don't pick off at least 1/2 of my attempts with runners at first, the game is stunning to look at. Kind of like being tempted by a gorgeous ***** that has the clap. In a word, this game is crap.

Sadly, I feel like I've made a $20.00 donation to 2K Sports. It's a shame, because when the game doesn't crash to the desktop between the 5-6 inning, or the fielding controls actually decide to work, or when I actually know what the hell I'm doing with the pitching controls, or when the AI doesn't swing at EVERY pitch close to the strike zone, or the ball doesn't get trapped at the base of the wall and is unable to retrieve resulting in an inside the park HR, or when I don't pick off at least 1/2 of my attempts with runners at first, the game is stunning to look at. Kind of like being tempted by a gorgeous ***** that has the clap. In a word, this game is crap.

maybe thats why it was 20 bux

maybe thats why it was 20 bux

Yeah, I kind of felt that way when I bought it. I definitely felt that way when I saw the unbelievably sparse "instruction" manual. I can't remember a time when a software product so blatantly screwed its customers. It's like they are saying "Oh, well. You only paid $20 for it."

Yeah, I kind of felt that way when I bought it. I definitely felt that way when I saw the unbelievably sparse "instruction" manual. I can't remember a time when a software product so blatantly screwed its customers. It's like they are saying "Oh, well. You only paid $20 for it."

well atleast 2K didn't forget the Key code to continue installing the game this time (that is if the game includes a key to install it, idk yet cause I havent bought it)

atleast you don't have to suffer like the rest of us NBA 2K9 release date buyers.

I don't feel screwed at all. Dude there was a Demo of the game out. You should be mad at yourself for not checking out the demo first. Most games these days don't even release a demo. EA charged 30 dollars for NHL09 and the last PC Madden game and they were both of the previous generation graphics. Manual? Who makes game manuals these days? It isn't rocket science. I think 20 dollars is generously fair. What more can you want? This is the first time 2k is releasing a PC baseball game. I have bought a ton of pc games that were ported wrong and felt ripped off. This is good first step, maybe next year they will do something better. or not :angry:

I haven't experienced many of the game play issues some are talking about, crashing, ball being trapped against the walls, etc. My major issue was figuring out the controls, and once I did, it seems to be playing pretty decent. The pitching is amazing. Here's how I did it.

Here is the mapping for the pitch controls (Total Control - Logitech Dual Analog)

Figuring out how to pitch was the tricky part, but I think I have it:

Looking at the screenie, for a 2 seam fastball

1. Aim the ball cursor with your left analog stick (location)

2. Hold down the right analog stick, this will power up the yellow circle (speed)

3. When the yellow circle is at it's fullest, execute the pitch with the left analog stick, see pitch selection graphics on screen. (accuracy)

4. When done correctly, the pitches are extremely effective.

For those of us that are new to this series, it takes a while to get used to, but it seems to be flawless when done correctly.

lol ya.. have u played the show i kinda wanna play it for the pc with a ps2 emulator

I haven't experienced many of the game play issues some are talking about, crashing, ball being trapped against the walls, etc. My major issue was figuring out the controls, and once I did, it seems to be playing pretty decent. The pitching is amazing. Here's how I did it.

Here is the mapping for the pitch controls (Total Control - Logitech Dual Analog)

b4j9f6.jpg

Figuring out how to pitch was the tricky part, but I think I have it:

2nqczm.jpg

Looking at the screenie, for a 2 seam fastball

1. Aim the ball cursor with your left analog stick (location)

2. Hold down the right analog stick, this will power up the yellow circle (speed)

3. When the yellow circle is at it's fullest, execute the pitch with the left analog stick, see pitch selection graphics on screen. (accuracy)

4. When done correctly, the pitches are extremely effective.

For those of us that are new to this series, it takes a while to get used to, but it seems to be flawless when done correctly.

Yeah I tried practice mode of pitching add still can't pitch accurately. Maybe the devs didn't want pitching so easy. I prefer classic hitting, the new hitting is just unnecessarily harder.

I don't feel screwed at all. Dude there was a Demo of the game out. You should be mad at yourself for not checking out the demo first. Most games these days don't even release a demo. EA charged 30 dollars for NHL09 and the last PC Madden game and they were both of the previous generation graphics. Manual? Who makes game manuals these days? It isn't rocket science. I think 20 dollars is generously fair. What more can you want? This is the first time 2k is releasing a PC baseball game. I have bought a ton of pc games that were ported wrong and felt ripped off. This is good first step, maybe next year they will do something better. or not :angry:

I own a bridge that I'm looking to sell and it seems like you're the type that would be interested.

I don't even know where to start!!! Generously fair???!!! For a game that is completely unplayable and without any prospects for proper patching?? Manuals? Rocket science?? Do you even own this game??? If so, please explain to me, in detail, each icon and steps for pitching control. I realize manuals aren't that concise any longer, but at least give us the basics on how to use the controls or, at the very least, put a PDF on their website. What more can I want? A game that is somewhat playable! This game is not, or is in very short durations before it crashes. If this is a good first step, it will be their last to step over me in the process.

I hear you, but I think I've gotten used to the hitting now as well, and it's really kinda cool.

At least this is how I'm doing it:

1. Hold down the right analog stick (Set the batter) I think this is a cool option. You have to get "ready" for the pitch.

2. Aim with the left analog stick (if you desire to aim the ball) Seems to work very well so far

3. Push up on the right analog stick to swing

I think I'm liking it.

I hear you, but I think I've gotten used to the hitting now as well, and it's really kinda cool.

At least this is how I'm doing it:

1. Hold down the right analog stick (Set the batter) I think this is a cool option. You have to get "ready" for the pitch.

2. Aim with the left analog stick (if you desire to aim the ball) Seems to work very well so far

3. Push up on the right analog stick to swing

I think I'm liking it.

Yeah, that's pretty much it JR.

*And when pitching, I think some don't take into account where the catcher is calling for the pitch, how well you did the analog movements, AND the movement/break of the pitch. All these things come into play when going for a strike, painting corners, etc...

I love to pitch in this game.

*That screenshot looks sweet man. Love the lighting.

JR- It kind of gets addicting...I LOVE THE COMMENTARY!! Now lets hope our greatest modders in the world can finish the job!!

I've owned the game for barely more than 1 day. It's been frustrating figuring out the controls, etc, but I think when the dust settles this game is going to be solid. I'm having a blast getting used to everything being so different that I haven't even looked at the sliders yet.

When I get used to all the little things, I'm going to do my best to get some good solid results. And if it turns out to be moddable, that's just another plus.

I'm going to try and be realistic and give it some time. MVP wasn't exactly an award winner straight out of the box either.

I own a bridge that I'm looking to sell and it seems like you're the type that would be interested.

I don't even know where to start!!! Generously fair???!!! For a game that is completely unplayable and without any prospects for proper patching?? Manuals? Rocket science?? Do you even own this game??? If so, please explain to me, in detail, each icon and steps for pitching control. I realize manuals aren't that concise any longer, but at least give us the basics on how to use the controls or, at the very least, put a PDF on their website. What more can I want? A game that is somewhat playable! This game is not, or is in very short durations before it crashes. If this is a good first step, it will be their last to step over me in the process.

Yeah I don't see the Show for the PC. I own the game but I took less than a day to figure it out how to play. You want me to give you steps lol. What are you like ten? I am looking around, there aren't a whole a lot of pc sports games. I don't have crashing issues. This goes back to my point of checking out the demo before buying. Demo makes common sense to me. How PC game ports do you own? How PC game demos have you tried out? There aren't a whole lot of demos from game developers these days.

Yeah, that's pretty much it JR.

*And when pitching, I think some don't take into account where the catcher is calling for the pitch, how well you did the analog movements, AND the movement/break of the pitch. All these things come into play when going for a strike, painting corners, etc...

I love to pitch in this game.

*That screenshot looks sweet man. Love the lighting.

Yeah, it sounds overwhelming, but it really all makes sense when you get used to it. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm getting there. I love the day to night effect too.

rolie i love u man but that's just pure WHACK SUN! WHAT U TALKIN BOUT' FOO...

Fuzzone im talking about Nhl 09 PC and the last Madden PC game. Im talking PC gaming. Im not a console guy. EA cut back the pc versions and didn't include the new graphics of the console versions. Except Tiger Woods, that game looks awesome on PC.

I have an xbox with halo and that's it. I never checked out nba2k9. If I wanna play bball I just play at the park or gym. My point is PC gaming has gone down the drain the past five years or so with maybe about half a dozen decent games that aren't horrible ports.

I think 2k9 is worth 20 dollars. I would moan if it were more.

Archived