The Mlb 2k9 Impressions Thread

Trues

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick off topic question.

Should I get a ps3 with the show and 2k9 and see which I like better. Seeing as no game stores around here have demos up.

Or get a newer system and go with 2k9 and mods. I have much faith in mods making this game great and the fielding and baserunning in the show leaves a sour taste in my mouth from last year. Plus I do hear that 2k9 looks great on pc compared to next gen systems.

But what do you guys think?

Quick off topic question.

Should I get newer system and go with 2k9 and mods. I have much faith in mods making this game great and the fielding and baserunning in the show leaves a sour taste in my mouth from last year. Plus I do hear that 2k9 looks great on pc compared to next gen systems.

But what do you guys think?

I would buy the PC game first. Than see if your current PC can handle the graphics. If it does than upgrade the ram or Video card. This way U don't have to get a new system. If U have to get a new system make sure it have a blu ray rom. Since future game may require blu ray disc. The mod will use your system to the fullest so the more powerful system the better.

Ok, I'm finally getting a chance to play a complete game. Obviously very different from MVP, but without touching a single slider I'm actually having a pretty decent game now that I somewhat have the controls figured out.

Again (on Pro level) without touching any sliders the hitting seems to be pretty simple. Here Garrett Atkins hits a double deep into the right field corner at Corrs:

Pitching is getting easier. Again, extremely different but something I can definitely get used to. Still shaky, but somewhat effective. Francis here with his 4th strikeout midway through the 6th:

As far as fielding goes, it doesn't seem to be that difficult either. The outfielders are a little slow getting to the ball, but again, I haven't touched a single slider and so far nothing out of the ordinary has taken place. Granted, this is my first complete game but I've messed with it for a couple of days now. Nowhere near perfect, but the more I play, the more solid it's becoming.

So far the numbers seems solid. I'll keep reporting as I start tweaking the sliders.

Nice screens JR. For your pitching, are you using Breakpoint?

Sure am, Rob. I'm liking it. On Pro Level (without tweaking) the pitches seem to be way too slow, but the breaks are nice and fluid in the pitches. I love "aiming" at the guys back hip and watching it break across his entire body and onto the plate.

Not perfect yet, but cool stuff.

yeah I got used to the pitching also, not many balls in the dirt. I get close games sometimes but there will be a couple defensive routines balls that get messed up. Kinda ruins the mood at the time and I just quit game. PLaying a nice tight game and all the sudden a gold glover bobbles the game away for an inside the park homerun.

No...Not a train wreck..I really have a good time with it..I can't wait to get these bugs taken care of...Then the possibilities are endless!

I just finished my first complete game, and I didn't notice anything that makes it or breaks it yet. The hardest part for me is to just forget anything MVP (controls, mechanics, etc) and just try to revamp the whole way the game is played. Out of the box, it does seem a little shaky, but if I remember right, so did MVP.

I'm not throwing in the towel on it, if things are moddable to a decent extent, I'm sure we'll get a good solid product before it's over with.

No...Not a train wreck..I really have a good time with it..I can't wait to get these bugs taken care of...Then the possibilities are endless!

I did notice a couple of fireworks going off in center field for no apparent reason. Strange.

My main impression is the fielding. You have to hit the throw button at exactly the right time or else you're player either stands there or floats it towards the middle of the infield.

Also, it appears my players may or may not run out of special juice as the ball gets near. They slow WAAAAY down and let the ball drop. I was playing at the Polo Grounds and I hit the button to throw home too early, it deselected Mike Cameron and he ended up running towards the CF clubhouse while the ball was chasing him. A bases clearing inside the park homerun. Mike was so embarrassed.

Prince thought about eating his bat, JJ fell over when Prince broke wind and the Pirates beat my skull in thanks to Ringling Brothers in the OF.

picture684.jpg

picture683.jpg

Something really cool...I was playing the braves vs. phils and one of the fans said that McCann McCant hit...I about died..Pretty clevar, then another fan said your zippers down..Pretty sweet stuff..Heard alot of new play-by-play as well..or color.

It seems the more I play, I notice newer things that really add to the appeal..I'm really enjoying it..

Something really cool...I was playing the braves vs. phils and one of the fans said that McCann McCant hit...I about died..Pretty clevar, then another fan said your zippers down..Pretty sweet stuff..Heard alot of new play-by-play as well..or color.

It seems the more I play, I notice newer things that really add to the appeal..I'm really enjoying it..

Ditto, just played an afternoon game at OPACY and watched the shadows move in as the sun went down and then the lights came on and the sky turned dark. Simply beautiful...

Ditto, just played an afternoon game at OPACY and watched the shadows move in as the sun went down and then the lights came on and the sky turned dark. Simply beautiful...

The day to night effect is definitely a cool 'extra'. Seems to give the game a complete feel.

With the legacy left by MVP 2005 and the community that made it arguably the greatest sports game to date, it's hard for any baseball game to measure up. I give a lot of credit to the folks at 2K Sports for stepping up and giving us a great baseball game this year.

I am fortunate enough to have the hardware that lets this game shine through for what it is... a really great baseball game.

I am giving it two thumbs up thusfar ( b d ) . I am excited to see what the future holds for this game.

Go against the Angels with weather set to cloudy.........and watch those storm clouds, unreal.

If the 3 glitches I've noticed are taken care of (and I believe they will be), the immersive level will probably be too much for some to take. Simply put, the game has possibilities. I'm still shaking my head about those clouds rolling in the way they did. :o

I was impressed by one of the crowd animations I saw while playing the demo. A foul ball was hit into the crowd. You could see one of the fans catch it and when he did, he stood up and shook his fist to celebrate. I will admit that this does nothing for the overall gameplay, but it was a nice little attention to detail.

Archived