Now What

rskjackson

I haven't played the 2K baseball series before, but decided to give it a try with the $2.99 download special. Everything with the download and install went fine, but now my question is "How do you even play"?

I've got so many questions and have searched this forum for answers, but can't find much to what I'm looking for.

I want to play against the computer...how do I do that? When I tried today, I couldn't get anywhere but to play against a live opponent, or against myself (at least it had player 2 on one team and me on another).

I've read about the problems with controllers, and while it appeared to read my Saitek controller (and let me set the buttons) it wouldn't work in the game.

I also couldn't figure out how to change the teams in the play now mode, just gave me the Phillies and Yankees.

Also, how do you chance preferences in the game (or can you) to have automatic fielding and throwing? I'll learn the pitching and hitting if I can get controls to work, but I'm not into the fielding and throwing.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, as I'd like to give this game a real try (especially with the price). I played MVP for a few years, so I might be looking at something more difficult to learn?

Just curious...Thanks

Yeah, been there..frustrated, but now Im actually enjoying the game. Here's what I did:

1. Download game manual (its in the official game site@ 2k).

2. Get xpadder (google it for the free version)

3. Assing keyboard buttons to your control with xpadder. (if u want I can give u the xpadder profile I made)

4. There will be some keyboard controls that u'r not going to be able to manipulate: 1234 (non numeric pad), [], <>.

5. If you are going to use ur pad for keyboard emulation you will need dinput8.dll @ your game directory to stop the game from finding a "gamepad".

5. Delete your 2k game profile that already has recognized that u have a gamepad in order to use the keyboard.

5. Enjoy

Yeah, been there..frustrated, but now Im actually enjoying the game. Here's what I did:

1. Download game manual (its in the official game site@ 2k).

2. Get xpadder (google it for the free version)

3. Assing keyboard buttons to your control with xpadder. (if u want I can give u the xpadder profile I made)

4. There will be some keyboard controls that u'r not going to be able to manipulate: 1234 (non numeric pad), [], <>.

5. If you are going to use ur pad for keyboard emulation you will need dinput8.dll @ your game directory to stop the game from finding a "gamepad".

5. Delete your 2k game profile that already has recognized that u have a gamepad in order to use the keyboard.

5. Enjoy

Thanks for that info...I'd be more then happy to have your xpadder profile.

What is dinput8.dll in particular? Is that a file within the game?

Does that mean I won't be able to use the gamepad I have, or any gamepad, in the game?

When I downloaded the game last night, and then installed, it created the game profile immediately. Everything went very quickly.

I had already downloaded the manual from the 2k website, but it doesn't go into much detail. That's where I got lost on how to go to different teams, is their only manual fielding in the game (no auto fielding)?, and such.

I'll keep at it as I have time...Thanks!

I know the reviews by many have been bad for this product, while others have liked it. I haven't played a computer baseball video game since MVP 2005 and was interested in the 2k10 version of the baseball game, especially with the special download price on Monday.

I do want to be able to play the game however and give it a good testing for me, and I'm not very good at the video games. I really have enjoyed MLB The Show 2009 on the PS2, but with all the mods available by the gamers here, I wanted to see what this would be like.

Now...just help to get the game to work with the gamepad and figure out some other things (like is their only manual fielding, how to get around the menu's, etc...)

One of the things I really liked about MVP 2005 was a thread on the forum that was just a FAQ section that answered most of, if not all of our questions. It would be really nice to see something like that for this game as well. If I could do modding, I would, and it would be neat to share the work.

Let me get this game to work okay and I'm game for anything to try.

By the way...I'm running the game on one of the newer HP desktop models with plenty of power, and the game looked great when I started earlier today...just couldn't go anywhere once I get in the game.

Thanks in advance...and for everyone else with questions, let's ask them and give the game a shot!

Mods:Do I have permission to upload a rar file with:

a) xpadder profile.

B ) xpadder gamepad img.

c) dinput8.dll

d) Instructions for dinput8.dll

@rskjackson:

what's the exact model of your saitek?

Saitek_Impact_X6-20U, Saitek_Impact_X6-38V, Saitek_P220_Digital, Saitek_P580_Color_Rumble_Pad, Saitek_P_Series, Saitek_Pro_Gamer_Command_Unit.

Those are the only Saitek images that I have to share with the profile.

Also: you'll need the xbox controller icons mod.

Does that mean I won't be able to use the gamepad I have, or any gamepad, in the game?

You'll be playing with YOUR (any) gamepad emulating your keyboard. For MY experience that was the best way to do it, since I have a non xbox360 gamepad.

No wonder mine does not work. I have a Saitek P880.

Best bet is to spend the money on a xbox 360 controller or the logitech dual action they both work exactly the same although the logitech isn't nearly as good the button config is the exact same as the xbox. I have both I use the xbox and my son is using the logitech no issues at all plug and play.

Well, I have "el cheapo" acteck 3200 ($4.99) + xpadder combo = happy gaming

FWIW: I mentioned only those saitek models beacause those are the ones that I have an image of. With the xpadder you can play the game with any pc-recognizable pad since you're just emulating the Kb.

Well, I have "el cheapo" acteck 3200 ($4.99) + xpadder combo = happy gaming

FWIW: I mentioned only those saitek models beacause those are the ones that I have an image of. With the xpadder you can play the game with any pc-recognizable pad since you're just emulating the Kb.

Yea xpadder works well i use it with snes and n64 emulators but to be honest the best bet is the xbox 360 controller.Xpadder is an option though if you can't or do not wish to spend the money on an xbox controller

Couldn't agree more its well worth the money to get the xbox controller.The logitech isn't nearly as responsive and costs only about 10 less.

What do you mean not nearly as responsive? I use a Logitech for NBA2K10 with no problems, and basketball simulations have a lot more things to control than baseball.

What do you mean not nearly as responsive? I use a Logitech for NBA2K10 with no problems, and basketball simulations have a lot more things to control than baseball.

Get an xbox controller you will see what I mean the logitech is alright but not even close to the xbox controller.Biggest prob with the logitech is the holes for the left and right stick are not round that makes a huge difference when it comes to hitting the gestures.I used the logitech for awhile playing 2k9 then got my xbox controller its so much better.

No wonder mine does not work. I have a Saitek P880.

That is weird, I have the exact same controller and the game works fine.

What are the issues you are having, I'll see if I can help. So far I have had no issues with the controls.

I recommend buying a xbox 360 wired controller. http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Controller/dp/B000B6MLTQ

$25.54 Free Shipping

I had been using the Saitek P880 since MVP2004, but bought the XBox 360 wired controller last year when I decided to give MLB2K9 a try. I got rid of 2K9 after 2 weeks, but kept the 360 controller and have continued to use it for MVP2005. I like the way the controller feels and once I got it configured for MVP so that the buttons were mapped almost exactly the same as the P880, I was all set.

Thank you for this ixcuincle. Now I have to try to get to the control setup. I can't even do that!

I think the default keyboard controller for Menu is esc, so navigate to the control screen using the keyboard and then fill those in.

Mods:Do I have permission to upload a rar file with:

a) xpadder profile.

B ) xpadder gamepad img.

c) dinput8.dll

d) Instructions for dinput8.dll

@rskjackson:

what's the exact model of your saitek?

Saitek_Impact_X6-20U, Saitek_Impact_X6-38V, Saitek_P220_Digital, Saitek_P580_Color_Rumble_Pad, Saitek_P_Series, Saitek_Pro_Gamer_Command_Unit.

Those are the only Saitek images that I have to share with the profile.

Also: you'll need the xbox controller icons mod.

You'll be playing with YOUR (any) gamepad emulating your keyboard. For MY experience that was the best way to do it, since I have a non xbox360 gamepad.

My Saitek model is the P2500 Rumble Force Pad...works great with MVP 2005. Where can I find the xbox controller icons mod?

I tempted to buy a xbox 360 gamepad, if I can just navigate through the menus to find answers to my other questions. Don't want to invest in one if I'm going to have problems elswhere...Also, I haven't had one of my questions answered about fielding...is it just manual, or can you set to auto field?

Thanks!

My Saitek model is the P2500 Rumble Force Pad...works great with MVP 2005. Where can I find the xbox controller icons mod?

I tempted to buy a xbox 360 gamepad, if I can just navigate through the menus to find answers to my other questions. Don't want to invest in one if I'm going to have problems elswhere...Also, I haven't had one of my questions answered about fielding...is it just manual, or can you set to auto field?

Thanks!

There is no auto-fielding like MVP, it's all manual

Archived