Modding Mlb 2K12 Faq

pena1

This is an update of our 2k11 thread. If anyone catches anything else, let me know and we can keep everything in this first post.

Hopefully this will consolidate a lot of the questions about this years version. As of now, I have a list below and could write a few tutorials about anything specific if there is an interest. Again If anyone would like to add to this, please let me know!

Big thanks to DetroitStyle and darth_mickrig for the help compiling this list!!

Tools to get started:

MLB 2k MOD tool - Opens most IFF files for updating textures, can't thank Ariel and the rest of his crew @ modding way enough for this. You can export / import player head models AND stadium models with this as well. Make sure you have Java installed! (Thanks Micropterus58)

A STEP BY STEP WALK-THROUGH CAN BE FOUND HERE! - Thanks Darth for writing this!! [doc file is attached below]

NBA 3DM MOD tool- Another texture importing tool that finds 3d models / Please read that thread for support, it works just as the instructions state.

To open DDS textures you will need a plugin: Photoshop, GIMP are the most common. Paint.net will work as well

Roster Editors:

Ty Wiggins Roster Editor - Ty's Editor for 2k12 for FREE! [thanks again man!!] There are a few bugs but otherwise a a tool where you can edit just about everything with your games save files

REDeditor II - This links back to 2k11 for now but will update if Vlad makes this happen this year

IFF Files:

dds slot number in JAVA MODtool [#:# means it is a subfile] - description

Global.iff: [Running list as of now]

Batting gloves

• style 1 - 87,316,451
  • style 2 - 103, 301, 473
  • style 3 - 109, 304, 477
  • style 4 - 90, 322, 460
  • style 5 - 80, 324, 443

Cleats

• style 1 - 455, 815
  • style 2 - 463, 811
  • style 3 - 472, 812
  • style 4 - 488, 832
  • style 5 - 448, 825
  • style 6 - 480, 806

Fielding glove

• open - 36, 378, 768
  • closed - 116, 615, 692
  • first - 106, 309, 481
  • catchers - 285, 628, 678

Catchers Gear

• vest 1 - 89, 317, 817
  • vest 2 - 77, 323, 827
  • leg 1 - 110, 303, 809
  • leg 2 - 101, 312, 813

Bats:

Logo - 543:1

Wood grain - 543:0

Pine tar - 543:2-3

bat models - 543 : after 3

Colors

• 33 - red/black
  • 52 - Dark yellow
  • 57 - dk Red/black
  • 102 - black/red
  • 313 -blue
  • 315 - natural
  • 343- brown/natural
  • 398 - black
  • 452 - brown
  • 468 - black/natural
  • 841 - brown/black
  • 848 - black

football - 227, 232

Reg Baseball - 265, 714

WS basbeall - 264

Dirt Marks - 427

gold/silver chain - 60, 341 [no word if you can pop it though]

rope necklace - 235

twisted necklace - 544, 756

eye black - 497

Eyes:

gray - 28

blue - 50

green - 135

hazel - 605

amber -105

brown - 522

eyeball - 623

Sweat - 82

bat tape - 640, 694

Umpires model - 138

Shirt blue - 766

Shirt black- 776

232:38 - Scrolling image in game mode select screen

232:83 - Small logo (bottom left corner) in game mode select screen as well as during gameplay

232:84 - Small logo (bottom left corner) in game mode select screen as well as during gameplay

english.iff:

keyboard buttons

xbox buttons

generic controller buttons

englishbootup.iff:

game logos during load

overlay_static_preload.iff:

54 SubFile 32 - Pitch selection texture

54 SubFile 43 - Score overlay backdrop

54 SubFile 44 - Score overlay logo button

54 SubFile 46 & 47 - Score overlay logo

54 SubFile 49 & 50 - Score overlay baserunner map

loading.iff

23 - Logo used in loading background when changing lineups before game

40 SubFile 5 - Logo used in loading background

end_of_inning.iff

0 SubFile 1 - Score overlay logo between innings

Player heads_XXXX.iff:

0 - skin texture

3 - head model

*player head files can be assigned with tywiggins roster editor

Portrait.iff:

List of portraits, as of now I don't think there is as corresponding list...

Stadium_XXX.iff:

Usually 12 slots with most signs located under the last section. 3d model located at the end of the last slot

Title page.iff:

0:0 Background seats/stadium

0:1 Floodlights

0:2, 0:3, 0:4 probably lightning on screen

0:5 Cloud surrounding player

0:6 Circle around player

0:7 title screen player

0:8 title screen player blur effect

0:9 4th bottom logo [sTATS]

0:10 3rd bottom logo [MLB LOGO]

0:11 2nd bottom logo [PLAYER'S CHOICE]

0:12 1st bottom logo [2K SPORTS]

0:13 big left side logo [MLB 2k12]

Uniform_XXX.iff:

0 - Letters Colors [note that any changes should correspond with RED- main color, BLUE - border 1, GREEN - border 2| Per tywiggins Roster Editor]

1 - Hat green screen

2 - Letters green screen

5 - Jersey

6 - Jersey green screen

8- Hat logo green screen

11 - Hat color

12 - Hat/ helmet logo

13 - chest logo color

14 - Numbers green screen

16 - Number Colors [sEE LETTER COLORS NOTE]

18 - chest logo green screen

19 - Hockey mask layout

*Not all uniform files will be the same but will follow a similar layout.

Uniform_XXX_crowd.iff:

Team crowd clothes

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Other FAQ

Save files are located in your main HD [make sure you can see hidden files]

in something similiar to this:

c:>users>your_computer_name>AppData>Roaming>MLB2k12>Saves

Most mods will be installed in whatever location you saved the game:

program files> 2k sports> mlb 2k12>

steam: [can someon confirm this?]

steam> steamapps> common> mlb 2k12>

Tutorials

Detroit Styles' Cyberface Walkthrough

MLB 2k12 modding.doc

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Hi.

I 'm trying to apply the Pena accessories pack, like the cleats and the catchers gear, etc. No one responded to my post on the download page, but I've never modded a 2k game before, and the directions apply to a title page, not this. I would really like to enable the brands and different style of catching gear. I tried just dropping the global.iff file in the root folder, and nothing happened. I know I sound like an idiot because I can't figure it out, but please help.

Thanks

I'm not gonna lie. I have no idea what the heck to do to edit the dds files for equipment logos. The tutorial only shows how to edit titlepage.iff, which only has 2 slots, or whatever they are called. I'm really trying to understand this but I'm new at it. What are the dds files that were included in the Pena download, and how to I 'apply' them?

Edited by steveocaster

Ooooooooooo Myyyyyy Goooood. I would not be offended at all if I were to be called a dumbass for this one. I had an installation of MLB 2k11 on my pc, and in my haste, I never paid attention to the fact that I was dropping all of the files into this folder, and not the 2k12 folder under steam/steamapps/common. I feel extra stupid, but I finally figured it out.

Guys.....a little help.

I am trying to make some mods, starting off small.

I am using GIMP, opened global.iff with NBAmod. All ok. located the ball (265.dds). opened it up in GIMP, make some changes and went to save it....what name do I save it under? I tried 265.DDS and when I went to ExportRes it says "Import DDS is not same as resource, Import continue? Resource: DXT1, 512, 512 Import:_____512, 512???

any suggestions?

Do I need to change the save option?

I new to this....obviously.

Thanks

Guys.....a little help.

I am using GIMP, opened global.iff with NBAmod. All ok. located the ball (265.dds). opened it up in GIMP, make some changes and went to save it....what name do I save it under? I tried 265.DDS and when I went to ExportRes it says "Import DDS is not same as resource, Import continue? Resource: DXT1, 512, 512 Import:_____512, 512???

any suggestions?

Thanks

Open the global.iff file with the mod tool. Scroll to the file you want to edit. EXPORT it to your computer. Open it with GIMP. Save the file (any file name will do). Go back into the global.iff file with the mod tool. Scroll to the file you exported and then use IMPORT and select the file you edited. Done.

Detriot -

Thanks. It worked fine.

As I have said before, thanks for your mods. Now that I know how hard they are to do....I appreciate them even more.

Mac

Steveocaster -

wish I knew. I am still trying to figure out how to add phots to my franchise.

If I figure it out, I will let you know.

Mac

Guys.....a little help.

any suggestions?

Thanks

I just started really getting into modding this game I love. Man, it's a lot of work be the rewards are well worth it; when you see your finished product in action, it's pretty exciting. I been really busy, but I am going to share my hard labor with my fellow gamer. So far I have modded stadium ads, uniforms, & bat logos.

if you mean the logo its with the numbers in the botton right corner of seq #16, other wise its color is controalled by the roster file, but is change able wih ty's editor. the cap logo #12 so so dont confuse that

ohh ok.. so how would i add custom color to ty`s editor so that i could use that color just for helmet? I mean i just wanna change red sox helmet to true black color not the 2k washed out black...

you have two options, (i dont think there helmet is true black, but i can be wrong.) first choice is the upper right portion of the editor once your under the uniform tab, there be several drop down box, the first three labeled next to the right of those drop boxes are the 3 parts of the helmet (i forget the order) but there bill of the helmet, front of the helmet, and back, click the drop down box next to each and you will each as the color basic list. black on the list. the other is down to the color box, fill in the color in the color you want in one of the first three color boxes, a pop up of color scheme will come up, on the right is the color value, fill the number you want there. clock add color , and it will appear in the empty boxes to the left of that. it will add it the current color block i mentioned, before, now up to the helmet parts, drop the box, down and select color 1, or color 2, or color three and that the color the part of the helmet will be. the only doing that way is its also affects the catching gear and and some items like wrist bands for players on that team. i dont recall what it also effects using throws boxes of the first 3 color blocks,