MLB 16 The Show Impressions

zzcoolj21

I hear only good things so far.

Initial thoughts...little nervous when during the install the disc would pop out and say corrupted data, delete data and try again. (not exact words) 

After the 5th attempt, I was desperate, (I have 'gold') in my mitts and can not install the damn game! I have never had this happen before. ( I posted yesterday I might be getting to cocky posting about getting the game early)

Well, in the end, I deleted MLB15, and was finally able to install 16. (whew!)

I have not really played an inning yet. I am assisting Roster/Franchise guys at the moment. 

But so far when playing as the Royals against the Mets, as The Show installs,
WOW!!

If you are undecided, slap yourself, and order The Show. 

Will be playing much more after midnight, and post my thoughts.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show/876740-mlb-show-16-impressions-thread-impressions-only.html

I also hear fielding animations have been drastically improved. On the fence about pre-ordering. Would like to decide tonight so I can install early.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It LOOKS good as usual, but the question will remain about game play.  You may want to wait a month or so before people start complaining (or not complaining if that's the case) about the game glitches and such.  Hopefully they have those ironed out.

If there is something about MLB The show that I can't stand it's the BOOOORING commentary. Commentators are as fun as watching paint dry.

I like the fact that you have many options to choose for players gears tho. I can't think of how much Sony payed for the licensing. 

8 hours ago, debsterfan said:

If there is something about MLB The show that I can't stand it's the BOOOORING commentary. Commentators are as fun as watching paint dry.

Ohhh finally someone who shares my thoughts on the commentary. I find 2K12 commentary to be much better. As always, graphics look outstanding, but as for gameplay I can't say much. This year I'd like to finally give The Show a try, after almost buying The Show 15 for PS3 last year: First of all because I have never owned the game, neither have I played a single game, hence why I can't talk much about gameplay, secondly because I finally own a PS4 (I never thought I would own one, but I'm a big Just Cause 3 fan, found a bundle with the game and I couldn't pass up on it!) and I'd like to see what the fuss is all about.

13 hours ago, debsterfan said:

I like the fact that you have many options to choose for players gears tho. I can't think of how much Sony payed for the licensing. 

4 hours ago, aceshigh said:

Ohhh finally someone who shares my thoughts on the commentary. I find 2K12 commentary to be much better. As always, graphics look outstanding, but as for gameplay I can't say much. This year I'd like to finally give The Show a try, after almost buying The Show 15 for PS3 last year: First of all because I have never owned the game, neither have I played a single game, hence why I can't talk much about gameplay, secondly because I finally own a PS4 (I never thought I would own one, but I'm a big Just Cause 3 fan, found a bundle with the game and I couldn't pass up on it!) and I'd like to see what the fuss is all about.

When streaming [2K] on Twitch a lot of people mention they are enjoying the commentary

1 hour ago, aceshigh said:

We don't need The Show on pc when we have 2K and MVP! ;P although I am sure many textures could come in handy for our modding...

Yeah, honestly I wish 2K had some more animations and stuff, but the modding makes it fun for me. It makes the game feel more sim-like. There are still little quirks that annoy me, but yeah I still enjoy 2K. Obviously why we are here :DWe may not be able to do certain things, but with enough effort some of these player faces, equipment and stadiums/environments can rival The Show. Just takes time and effort.

Everything seems tighter control wise.the brought the stride option back for hitting which I'm loving. The precision hitting is also pretty great. 

The games beautiful but there is still a little bit of framerate issues in cut scenes. Last year in broadcast pitching after you selected a pitch the graphics downgraded a bit. It doesn't this year. The pbr lighting is cool but I don't notice it much to be honest.

I actually dove and caught a ball in the outfield which i haven't been able to do for years. A little disappointed that you cant have the throw meter over your head ala 2k, without the gd awful massive new throw meter under your feet. Hit variety is definetly better. 

The accessories are sick this year. Sunglasses as well. Shoes look crisper than in the past. 

Sounds of the show really ads so much. All in all it's a great game.

1 hour ago, cujomatty said:

Everything seems tighter control wise.the brought the stride option back for hitting which I'm loving. The precision hitting is also pretty great. 

The games beautiful but there is still a little bit of framerate issues in cut scenes. Last year in broadcast pitching after you selected a pitch the graphics downgraded a bit. It doesn't this year. The pbr lighting is cool but I don't notice it much to be honest.

I actually dove and caught a ball in the outfield which i haven't been able to do for years. A little disappointed that you cant have the throw meter over your head ala 2k, without the gd awful massive new throw meter under your feet. Hit variety is definetly better. 

The accessories are sick this year. Sunglasses as well. Shoes look crisper than in the past. 

Sounds of the show really ads so much. All in all it's a great game.

If the PS4 wasn't so spendy, I'd go buy one and get this game. Watched a bunch of clips on youtube last night and it looks very impressive.

17 minutes ago, aceshigh said:

I preordered it today. 6 more hours until I can start my download. One question: my console is actually downloading a 6gb file for The Show. What is it? I have no clue as the game is 42 gbs in total...

Right after that is done it will download the 42 gb file. They just split the download into 2 lopsided parts for some reason.

1 hour ago, zzcoolj21 said:

Right after that is done it will download the 42 gb file. They just split the download into 2 lopsided parts for some reason.

Oh boy. It's gonna be a looooong download. So the grand total is 42+6 gbs huh? Thanks for the info zz :)

10 hours ago, gotribematt said:

Got the ps3 verison of the game. My only complaint is the computer pitcher ALWAYS throws strikes. NEVER misses at least in the 3 games I've played so far. I've yet to get 1 pitch not a strike from the computer 

It might be a bug where you are stuck in rookie batting difficulty and it hasn't adjusted if you set it to Dynamic hitting. Rookie hitting difficulty will throw more meatballs and stuff around the plate and will only throw junk if you keep trying to hit garbage

50 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

It might be a bug where you are stuck in rookie batting difficulty and it hasn't adjusted if you set it to Dynamic hitting. Rookie hitting difficulty will throw more meatballs and stuff around the plate and will only throw junk if you keep trying to hit garbage

It was on rookie I switched it over the dynamic and it got better. 

On a related note I'm blaming KC for my first loss ;)

Archived